Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @TheBiologist @AnatomyGrey12 @libertyyne @JoaoMoutinho bump!

20110911.gif

Very apropos because we talked about phenotypes and genotypes today lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question but can’t decide if it is worthy of making a thread, so please let me know if I should.

I was talking with a gen surg resident today at work and asked him what the hardest part of the whole process has been thus far. He told me that the hardest part was getting into med school. My question is... where is the threshold? Plastics/neuro/ortho/derm? When does it become harder to match into your preferred specialty than it was to get into school in the first place?

I hope this makes sense, I’m having troubles thinking of wording. Been studying too much for genetics smh.

I have a question but can’t decide if it is worthy of making a thread, so please let me know if I should.

I was talking with a gen surg resident today at work and asked him what the hardest part of the whole process has been thus far. He told me that the hardest part was getting into med school. My question is... where is the threshold? Plastics/neuro/ortho/derm? When does it become harder to match into your preferred specialty than it was to get into school in the first place?

I hope this makes sense, I’m having troubles thinking of wording. Been studying too much for genetics smh.
upload_2018-1-29_18-46-36.png

it is largely a self selection at the end of medical school. But even the competitive specialties have almost twice the match rate compared to getting into medical school. It is a difficult question to answer because it is oranges vs apples.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 228630
it is largely a self selection at the end of medical school. But even the competitive specialties have almost twice the match rate compared to getting into medical school. It is a difficult question to answer because it is oranges vs apples.
Very true. Thanks for the chart. I guess one could that usually for med school you need to be exceptional in many areas (volunteering, grades, mcat, research), whereas, from what I have read (not much), you don’t need to be quite as exceptional in ALL areas to match. Like, you could have slightly above average board scores with great research and pubs and you’ll be ok. Or very good boards and some volunteering with ok research. Is this true or am I totally off?

Edit: also for matching, it seems to significantly help if you are just a cool/normal person who is a hard worker and easy to get along with.

Very true. Thanks for the chart. I guess one could that usually for med school you need to be exceptional in many areas (volunteering, grades, mcat, research), whereas, from what I have read (not much), you don’t need to be quite as exceptional in ALL areas to match. Like, you could have slightly above average board scores with great research and pubs and you’ll be ok. Or very good boards and some volunteering with ok research. Is this true or am I totally off?
It depends on a few factors and honestly I havent matched so I can only tell you what I have ascertained by stalking this board and looking at the NRMP reports. But it seems like Step, Letters, Research are almost mandatory for matching in a super competitive specialty. That being said some a plethora of soft factors like relationships with attendings, Sub I interactions etc, home institutions programs going to bat for you etc all have very real consquences on match and may reflect the range of step scores. It is a very difficult task matching into Derm, NSG, Orth, Opth, Ent without everything in line. These soft factors probably reflect the relative ranges in the step scores for matching. I would go into this process thinking you have to have all your ducks in a row if you want to match something competitive, even then a research year is not unheard of for matching these specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
blerghhhh I'm stressing about the future. I'm graduating in May and applying to clinical research jobs in my nearest city. I was originally planning on taking only one gap year but now I'm leaning towards two because most of these jobs want a two year commitment. Plus these jobs give me the potential for a letter from a faculty member of a very high ranking medical school, which is a pull. I made an appointment with my advisor but damn this is surprisingly stressful. And it definitely does not hurt me to get more clinical experience for a longer period of time.

For people who took more than one gap year (for those of you frequent this thread at least lol), do you think it was the right decision for you?

blerghhhh I'm stressing about the future. I'm graduating in May and applying to clinical research jobs in my nearest city. I was originally planning on taking only one gap year but now I'm leaning towards two because most of these jobs want a two year commitment. Plus these jobs give me the potential for a letter from a faculty member of a very high ranking medical school, which is a pull. I made an appointment with my advisor but damn this is surprisingly stressful. And it definitely does not hurt me to get more clinical experience for a longer period of time.

For people who took more than one gap year (for those of you frequent this thread at least lol), do you think it was the right decision for you?
This is your journey. You call the shots. If you like the opportunity, take it.

It was the right decision for me. Worked out great.

Either way, you will likely be a doctor one day, whether that be 5 or 6 years from now! Take some solace in that at least. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got Civ VI for 12 bucks. I know what I'm doing with the rest of my free time until August...

Just got Civ VI for 12 bucks. I know what I'm doing with the rest of my free time until August...

Why not wait for a bit less than a week to get the Rise & Fall xpack too?

Why not wait for a bit less than a week to get the Rise & Fall xpack too?
It was a Humble Bundle deal. 12 bucks for a $60 game that might go down to 30 after the xpack comes out was still a steal.

Quick question/request for anyone seeing this thread. Could you kindly quote this post and tell me if there's anything wrong or anything weird you see? Like any font issues or problems. Thanks!

Test response. Let me know if you* find any problems when quoting this post.

*The general you, so it includes anyone watching this thread. Thanks.

Quick question/request for anyone seeing this thread. Could you kindly quote this post and tell me if there's anything wrong or anything weird you see? Like any font issues or problems. Thanks!