Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm the same way with physics. It's really difficult for me to tackle new physics problems- or at least it was when I took physics years ago.

That’s because our brains are more similar to dogs’ brains than we realize. We learn specific tasks in specific situations and have difficulty translating them to new situations. Like how a dog might learn not to pee in the kitchen but still think it’s okay to pee in the living room.

Banging out practice problems just teaches you how to do those problems. The point of practice problems is to practice recognizing what to do with novel situations once you’ve grasped the concept. If you spend time really learning the concept first, you only need a couple practice problems to hammer it in.

I have a math degree and have taught and tutored many people in math and physics over the years. People learn differently, but equating that with “problems vs concepts” is a false dichotomy. How you learn should be just how you learn the concepts, not whether you learn them or not.

Some years there are more MCAT questions on physics other years not. I'm hoping the C/P section for my exam will be pure gen/o chem and a couple physics problems sprinkled in.

My c/p section had 5 physics passages plus a gen chem passage that had 3 physics questions in it. Then there were a few physics discrete questions too. There were literally 3 ochem questions, and they were all discrete questions that I could have answered with what I learned from week one of ochem lol. There was also a really hard biochem passage in my c/p section.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you heard of ANKI? It's very good for memory retention. :) I've noticed what used to take me 3 days or so to memorize is cut down to a single ANKI session.

Yes, I use Anki a lot for rote memorization tasks. But physics needs to be understood to be able to apply it broadly. It will cut out a lot of time on test day for me if I have an intuitive feel for the concepts, and not just memorizing equations.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I use Anki a lot for rote memorization tasks. But physics needs to be understood to be able to apply it broadly. It will cut out a lot of time on test day for me if I have an intuitive feel for the concepts, and not just memorizing equations.

Finally, someone gets it. :)

I have literally figured out formulae during exams because I really understood the concepts and could just translate what was happening into math. I memorized very, very few things in physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally, someone gets it. :)

I have literally figured out formulae during exams because I really understood the concepts and could just translate what was happening into math. I memorized very, very few things in physics.
I didn't realize that was possible, but it is my new goal! LOL

I didn't realize that was possible, but it is my new goal! LOL

The exam was half multiple choice and half free form. One of the multiple choice questions required using a formula that was required to do one of the free form problems. So I figured out what the formula should have been based on the concept and the answer for the multiple choice question matched one of the choices, and the other ones didn’t super make sense. So I was pretty certain it was right and was then able to do the free form problem too lol.

I’ve done that a few times lol.

The exam was half multiple choice and half free form. One of the multiple choice questions required using a formula that was required to do one of the free form problems. So I figured out what the formula should have been based on the concept and the answer for the multiple choice question matched one of the choices, and the other ones didn’t super make sense. So I was pretty certain it was right and was then able to do the free form problem too lol.

I’ve done that a few times lol.
Wait a sec....I haven't done any practice tests yet, but I assumed that all of the questions were multiple choice? Are there fill-in-the-blank ones too?

Wait a sec....I haven't done any practice tests yet, but I assumed that all of the questions were multiple choice? Are there fill-in-the-blank ones too?
I think he meant school exams.

I feel like I'm dragging this thread into a depressing state by bringing this up again but....
Update: A guy has been arrested.
>DNA Test confirms paternity
>Defense claims no solid proof of crime

They've got a real uphill battle from there. Only way out is "no they stole my semen and inseminated the pt with it". Snowball's chance if you ask me.

@JoaoMoutinho @libertyyne @Ms Procrastinator @tessellations @freak7 @Matthew9Thirtyfive bump!

my-thing-1.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows who Larry Wheels is?

I have this weather app on my phone that makes snarky comments about the weather and it has this feature where you can choose what political view it has. I decided to choose conservative to see what it would say and the first thing it said immediately got me in my feelings :laugh::rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
I have this weather app on my phone that makes snarky comments about the weather and it has this feature where you can choose what political view it has. I decided to choose conservative to see what it would say and the first thing it said immediately got me in my feelings :laugh::rofl:
OMG. Screen shots now.

Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-20-32(1).png Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-22-20(2).png Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-23-55(1).png Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-24-38(1).png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-30-54(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-01-29-19-30-54(1).png
    171.7 KB · Views: 79
@Matthew9Thirtyfive It only makes political comments sometimes but the setting is on conservative. What it says changes every time and I couldn't get it to go back on what it had said to me the first time that got me in my feelings but it was something along the lines of "It's so cold outside, it would be nice if we could have some of that global warming everyone keeps talking so much about". It was snowy and cloudy today so it just made jokes about that.

In my feelings wasn't the right word (or words rather), triggered was. Although, when I get triggered I also get in my feelings:shrug:

It's kinda nice how it gets easier and easier to find seats the closer it gets to the end of the add/drop period.

what is this mess at the Super Bowl?!

I don't really watch cable that much but the family's a big patriots fan. The state's also a huge fan. There was also the internet, social media, buses etc.

@Ms Procrastinator I don't have TV in the house but we went to B-dubs to watch whatever the Yeti that was yesterday.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive I went to check the weather today and the app told me it saw a billionaire's d**k pics in my future :scared:. Thank God the volume was on mute. I have got to turn the profanities off on this thing.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive I went to check the weather today and the app told me it saw a billionaire's d**k pics in my future :scared:. Thank God the volume was on mute. I have got to turn the profanities off on this thing.
LOL. Wow that could have been awkward if you were in mixed company.

It would have definitely earned a few weird stares. D**n Jeff Bezos!

@Lawper I don't know how to make memes but let's give it a try.

News: El Chapo found guilty of drug trafficking
Me and pretty much the whole world:

Pika Pika.png

Hi guys quick Q
So I'm agonizing over an email to an all time fav prof ( talking in person isnt an option- long story) to maybe work in his lab next year.
So I took his class and I loved it, he's brilliant, witty, personable, etc.
So in my mostly formal email...
Is it weird to say " Id like to learn from you"
Is that weird? We had a good, friendly student-prof relationship, so it should be fine. but IDK. What if it's too much. Anxiety. That's not creepy , is it? I genuinely loved learning from him.

Hi guys quick Q
So I'm agonizing over an email to an all time fav prof ( talking in person isnt an option- long story) to maybe work in his lab next year.
So I took his class and I loved it, he's brilliant, witty, personable, etc.
So in my mostly formal email...
Is it weird to say " Id like to learn from you"
Is that weird? We had a good, friendly student-prof relationship, so it should be fine. but IDK. What if it's too much. Anxiety. That's not creepy , is it? I genuinely loved learning from him.

I think you need to work on your anxiety. And I mean that in the most caring way possible. But no, that isn’t weird as long as the email isn’t just a bit gush fest like it was written by his stalker.

Anyone here a techie with Macbooks? older circa 2013?

I just opened mine up, blew 6 years of dust and golden retriever hair out of it (sniff... my golden oldie Hope just recently moved onto life's other trajectory :cryi:) and it is still grinding.

Thought maybe it was just filthy inside but maybe it's the fan? :(

(Have another Macbook Pro, circa 2018, but it has to have the hard drive/etc. rebooted and reloaded; haven't gotten to it yet)

Anyone here a techie with Macbooks? older circa 2013?

I just opened mine up, blew 6 years of dust and golden retriever hair out of it (sniff... my golden oldie Hope just recently moved onto life's other trajectory :cryi:) and it is still grinding.

Thought maybe it was just filthy inside but maybe it's the fan? :(

(Have another Macbook Pro, circa 2018, but it has to have the hard drive/etc. rebooted and reloaded; haven't gotten to it yet)

I prefer good computers. ;)