Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you need to work on your anxiety. And I mean that in the most caring way possible. But no, that isn’t weird as long as the email isn’t just a bit gush fest like it was written by his stalker.
Got it! Sending it rn. I have specific reasons to have this sort of anxiety- experience I've had, etc. Not just being neurotic. I'm working on it.
Also- any of you have those profs that you get along with really well, have great chats with , and after the class is over, you wanna swing and say hi/chat/update them on something they may care about? I just recently started doing that after always being nervous to do it ( with this prof, and some of my other junior year favs). Rewarding! Turns out that's something profs like lol. Who knew.

Members don't see this ad.

@tessellations @ekmf27050 @Ms Procrastinator @freak7 @impendingdoom @mwsapphire bump!

places.png

Reactions: 1 users
I just recently started doing that after always being nervous to do it ( with this prof, and some of my other junior year favs).
When I went back to take pre-reqs (at 40-something), I got to know all my professors and kept in touch with almost all of them.

Professors are regular people too and when someone shows an active interest in what they do, it's just that much engaging. Makes it really easy to stop back when I need an LOR to ask if they would be willing (though, that makes me squeamish for some reason; thankfully, all of them offered)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went back to take pre-reqs (at 40-something), I got to know all my professors and kept in touch with almost all of them.

Professors are regular people too and when someone shows an active interest in what they do, it's just that much engaging. Makes it really easy to stop back when I need an LOR to ask if they would be willing (though, that makes me squeamish for some reason; thankfully, all of them offered)

Not just what they do necessarily- I've had convos about life with lots of my profs ( the ones who literally just start telling a story at no provocation- and say that they liked having you and chatting with you)- literally just going to them for life ( somewhat school related) advice or asking them what's up or telling them what's up with me. Great. More about them being regular people I guess, and not just "profs".
There was only one time where it was awkward but that prof is awkward so I mean not just me.

@mwsapphire me too not so much for advice but sort of the positivity when I wondered "WTH am I doing"

In my case, it's probably a little easier as most of them are near or slightly older than me and the ones that are younger, prolly treat me like their mom :roflcopter:

@mwsapphire me too not so much for advice but sort of the positivity when I wondered "WTH am I doing"

In my case, it's probably a little easier as most of them are near or slightly older than me and the ones that are younger, prolly treat me like their mom :roflcopter:
Oh really? I feel like profs like young people, and honestly it seems easier to get advice from someone old enough to be my Dad. One of them is so friendly, and has told me so much about his kids, I really wanna know how his daughter is enjoying her first year of college....

Uh, not sure what you're getting at?

I think professors like anyone who is respectful irregardless of their age
Nooo no I mean they like mentoring young folks, people still figuring themselves out, that sorta thing. So like , it's be just as easy for a 20 something or 40 something to get along with a prof- one is closer to theri age and the other is a young, moldable person.

Reactions: 1 user
Nooo no I mean they like mentoring young folks, people still figuring themselves out, that sorta thing. So like , it's be just as easy for a 20 something or 40 something to get along with a prof- one is closer to theri age and the other is a young, moldable person.
Exactly :) But that 40 year old can still mentor the 42 year old ;)

Got it! Sending it rn. I have specific reasons to have this sort of anxiety- experience I've had, etc. Not just being neurotic. I'm working on it.

Trust me. I get it. Glad you’re working on it.

Also- any of you have those profs that you get along with really well, have great chats with , and after the class is over, you wanna swing and say hi/chat/update them on something they may care about? I just recently started doing that after always being nervous to do it ( with this prof, and some of my other junior year favs). Rewarding! Turns out that's something profs like lol. Who knew.

Yep. I used to box with my Shakespeare professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you realize you can start wearing 'crazy' colors in your hair again

6ix9ine.jpg

That is 100% not true. The best traders are the ones who diversify or invest in an index fund and hold and never lose long term instead of investing in one single stock (as in my example) but that is completely off topic and I’m not going to argue stocks on this thread.

I’ll just leave these here:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0068344&type=printable

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/0022-1082.00226

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1992.tb04692.x

There are more, but I’m on my phone and don’t feel like linking any more.

There are also multiple books on the topic, including a few that go into why. One of them, called Thinking, Fast and Slow, actually breaks down why people are so resistant to the fact that over half a century of research has shown that for the vast majority of individual and professional investors, success is mostly luck. To quote the above:

“There is general agreement among researchers that nearly all stock pickers, whether they know it or not—and few of them do—are playing a game of chance. The subjective experience of traders is that they are making sensible educated guesses in a situation of great uncertainty. In highly efficient markets, however, educated guesses are no more accurate than blind guesses.”

If it makes you feel any better, your reaction to that information is pretty typical. I was surprised myself.

I’ll just leave these here:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0068344&type=printable

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/0022-1082.00226

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1992.tb04692.x

There are more, but I’m on my phone and don’t feel like linking any more.

There are also multiple books on the topic, including a few that go into why. One of them, called Thinking, Fast and Slow, actually breaks down why people are so resistant to the fact that over half a century of research has shown that for the vast majority of individual and professional investors, success is mostly luck. To quote the above:

“There is general agreement among researchers that nearly all stock pickers, whether they know it or not—and few of them do—are playing a game of chance. The subjective experience of traders is that they are making sensible educated guesses in a situation of great uncertainty. In highly efficient markets, however, educated guesses are no more accurate than blind guesses.”

If it makes you feel any better, your reaction to that information is pretty typical. I was surprised myself.
So umm, I’m sorry you took the time to write all that out but I’m not going to read any of those articles because you have completely missed the point of my original comment. I will break it down for you: all the things I wrote as good reasons for choosing a school are objective. Even having family present is an objective observation. They are either present or they are not. These are the things you should base a decision on. A “good feeling” is subjective. It is a gamble. Hence my example with the stock. I could have said the exact same thing as betting $300,000 on black (never bet on red). It is leaving it up to chance. You somehow took this as some sort of stock strategy thing (how I don’t particularly know) but you really missed the mark here.

The reason I feel this way is something that most people don’t realize at first but when you think about it: nearly all the people you meet during an interview don’t matter. The current med students you meet won’t be in your class so they don’t matter. The admissions you meet won’t interact with you much so they don’t matter. You may talk to one or two professors IF youre lucky. You are unlikely to talk to any clinical faculty or anyone in your desired specialty. You may have one or two people in your interview group who become your classmates... maybe. All the people you meet you will most likely never meet again. They will have little to absolutely no influence on your medical education or ability to become a doctor. So why the hell would anyone factor them into their decision? A “good feeling.” That’s why.

So umm, I’m sorry you took the time to write all that out but I’m not going to read any of those articles because you have completely missed the point of my original comment. I will break it down for you: all the things I wrote as good reasons for choosing a school are objective. Even having family present is an objective observation. They are either present or they are not. These are the things you should base a decision on. A “good feeling” is subjective. It is a gamble. Hence my example with the stock. I could have said the exact same thing as betting $300,000 on black (never bet on red). It is leaving it up to chance. You somehow took this as some sort of stock strategy thing (how I don’t particularly know) but you really missed the mark here.

The reason I feel this way is something that most people don’t realize at first but when you think about it: nearly all the people you meet during an interview don’t matter. The current med students you meet won’t be in your class so they don’t matter. The admissions you meet won’t interact with you much so they don’t matter. You may talk to one or two professors IF youre lucky. You are unlikely to talk to any clinical faculty or anyone in your desired specialty. You may have one or two people in your interview group who become your classmates... maybe. All the people you meet you will most likely never meet again. They will have little to absolutely no influence on your medical education or ability to become a doctor. So why the hell would anyone factor them into their decision? A “good feeling.” That’s why.

I guess you missed the part where I agreed with all that.

Easy to do when you are so disorganized that you quoted me on one thread and posted in another...

:confused: Not sure why you’re personally attacking me (do you not like being told you’re wrong?). I posted it here because you were right about derailing that thread, and you said you wouldn’t discuss it there. This is a thread where people can talk about anything.

I guess what you really meant was that you think you’re right and don’t care to hear about that pesky stuff called evidence.

:confused: Not sure why you’re personally attacking me (do you not like being told you’re wrong?). I posted it here because you were right about derailing that thread, and you said you wouldn’t discuss it there. This is a thread where people can talk about anything.

I guess what you really meant was that you think you’re right and don’t care to hear about that pesky stuff called evidence.
No I just don’t care what you think because you’re some random person on the internet. Stop quoting me and leave me alone.

I don't really see why they would if they're considering to possibly add breakdancing.

r/MCAT seems like a decent place. I know r/premed is trash, but I've been looking through r/MCAT ( even posted/subbed) and it's not bad. Kinda of like SDN.

r/MCAT seems like a decent place. I know r/premed is trash, but I've been looking through r/MCAT ( even posted/subbed) and it's not bad. Kinda of like SDN.

It has some good posts. I think there are more people with verified experience here that are willing to help out, and the resources here are larger. But of the places you could go on reddit, r/MCAT is probably one of the less toxic.

I suggest looking into the SDN MCAT forums if you have any questions. There are a lot of useful stuff there.

It has some good posts. I think there are more people with verified experience here that are willing to help out, and the resources here are larger. But of the places you could go on reddit, r/MCAT is probably one of the less toxic.
Oh I know- I just mean if I'm on reddit anyway may as well follow something MCAT related- and r/MCAT is decent. I can scroll through reddit and just get a little MCAT support here and there.

When the whole of February's been trash, you're buried in work you put off until the last minute (I know, username checks out), and after a long day you go outside to find that something smashed into your windshield, but you're trying to find solace in the fact that tomorrow's your birthday.
giphy (1).gif

When the whole of February's been trash, you're buried in work you put off until the last minute (I know, username checks out), and after a long day you go outside to find that something smashed into your windshield, but you're trying to find solace in the fact that tomorrow's your birthday.
2 birthdays ago I went out to grab some midnight birthday beer from the store and ended up locking myself out of my place.

Happy birthday?

Chemistry is like the Thanos of weeding out premeds so I doubt much love is gonna be shown here.

Reactions: 2 users