Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would just be drinking constantly the whole time, to see if the balance of music/embarrassing answers changed as I got more intoxicated :laugh:

Yeah I too would just be drinking the entire time rather than playing the game. My hangovers are too rough to playing drinking games anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I too would just be drinking the entire time rather than playing the game. My hangovers are too rough to playing drinking games anymore.

We be drinkin' out the bottle....:cool:

Yayyyy I got a scribe job!! And a job in a biotech company! Now I can pay for more classes, spend another year, maybe do a really cool surgery shadowing program that's near me, hopefully rock the MCAT, and, y'know, be ready to actually apply June 2015!

so Man of Steel, awesome movie or awesome movie?

Awesome movie

so Man of Steel, awesome movie or awesome movie?

Awesome movie

I tend to think that Superman is a broken character in the first place...I mean, seriously, humans have so many flaws, wth did they need to make someone with SO MANY POWERS that they actually had to fabricate a whole new weakness just to be able to even approximate an interesting story/conflict.

I tend to think that Superman is a broken character in the first place...I mean, seriously, humans have so many flaws, wth did they need to make someone with SO MANY POWERS that they actually had to fabricate a whole new weakness just to be able to even approximate an interesting story/conflict.

*puts on comic nerd glasses*
Actually, Superman has a lot of weaknesses, anything from red sunlight (which makes him like a normal human), kryptonite (in all of its variations, with the green one being poisonous), to magic (which doesn't get nearly the coverage it should). Not to mention, having a long list of villains that are actually capable of going toe to toe with him in a fight that aren't all kryptonian: Mongul, Braniac, Bizarro, Parasite, Mxyzptlk, Lobo, Doomsday, Darkseid (oh lawd, a Darkseid movie would be awesome).
*takes off comic nerd glasses**

That being said, I still think Man of Steel did a good job of humanizing him and giving him villains that could actually beat him in a fight. And oh boy what awesome fights they were. Far superior movie than Superman Returns. I look forward to seeing what they'll do in the future of the franchise.

*puts on comic nerd glasses*
Actually, Superman has a lot of weaknesses, anything from red sunlight (which makes him like a normal human), kryptonite (in all of its variations, with the green one being poisonous), to magic (which doesn't get nearly the coverage it should). Not to mention, having a long list of villains that are actually capable of going toe to toe with him in a fight that aren't all kryptonian: Mongul, Braniac, Bizarro, Parasite, Mxyzptlk, Lobo, Doomsday, Darkseid (oh lawd, a Darkseid movie would be awesome).
*takes off comic nerd glasses**

That being said, I still think Man of Steel did a good job of humanizing him and giving him villains that could actually beat him in a fight. And oh boy what awesome fights they were. Far superior movie than Superman Returns. I look forward to seeing what they'll do in the future of the franchise.

OK, so they fabricated 3-5 weaknesses :rolleyes:
I still think his overabundance of powers makes him rather boring as a hero.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so they fabricated 3-5 weaknesses :rolleyes:
I still think his overabundance of powers makes him rather boring as a hero.

fabricated? Every superhero has a "fabricated" weakness or something that is designed to incapacitate them in some way. The comics (well those pre New 52), and TV show have done a pretty good job of not making him this omnipotent being. Did you watch the Superman cartoon or the Justice League cartoon? All quite amazing portrayals of him. Also comics like All Star Superman, Superman: Red Son, Superman: Birthright, Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Final Crisis, Superman For All Seasons, For the Man who has Everything, for excellent takes on him.

I just think he gets a bad rap, there's a ton of good stuff out there with him.

And I'm such a huge comic nerd, I can go on this stuff forever :laugh:

fabricated? Every superhero has a "fabricated" weakness or something that is designed to incapacitate them in some way. The comics (well those pre New 52), and TV show have done a pretty good job of not making him this omnipotent being. Did you watch the Superman cartoon or the Justice League cartoon? All quite amazing portrayals of him. Also comics like All Star Superman, Superman: Red Son, Superman: Birthright, Kingdom Come, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Final Crisis, Superman For All Seasons, For the Man who has Everything, for excellent takes on him.

I just think he gets a bad rap, there's a ton of good stuff out there with him.

And I'm such a huge comic nerd, I can go on this stuff forever :laugh:

Yes, but for a lot of them, the point is that even with superpowers (or money: looking at you Bruce) they are still susceptible to many of the same weaknesses that we encounter every day. Superman is just...overpowered. They removed all of his human weaknesses (well, he still retains the ultimate, overused and poorly-thought-out superhero 'romantic interest in distress' weakness) and then had to compensate by fabricating whole new Achilles heels. Not only is it unnecessary, it takes half of the fun and relatability out of the story.

And no, I must admit that I haven't watched the new stuff...I tried Superman a few times and just couldn't get over how overpowered they made him. Drove me nuts, and I've avoided him ever since. Any other superhero, though, feel free to geek out and I will nod along, less knowledgeable than you, but still able to enjoy the stories I've seen of 'em!

Yes, but for a lot of them, the point is that even with superpowers (or money: looking at you Bruce) they are still susceptible to many of the same weaknesses that we encounter every day. Superman is just...overpowered. They removed all of his human weaknesses (well, he still retains the ultimate, overused and poorly-thought-out superhero 'romantic interest in distress' weakness) and then had to compensate by fabricating whole new Achilles heels. Not only is it unnecessary, it takes half of the fun and relatability out of the story.

And no, I must admit that I haven't watched the new stuff...I tried Superman a few times and just couldn't get over how overpowered they made him. Drove me nuts, and I've avoided him ever since. Any other superhero, though, feel free to geek out and I will nod along, less knowledgeable than you, but still able to enjoy the stories I've seen of 'em!

That's the thing though, he totally is susceptible. He has the whole power/responsibility schtick of spiderman, the whole outcast/not like us issues of the mutants of the X-Men, in addition to the whole dual identity thing that is in like every comic. Despite all his power, he's still just as flawed as the rest of us. You should totally totally read "Red Son" or "for the man who has everything" or Birthright.

But if you want to discuss other comics, we can totally do so. I saw The Wolverine and thought that movie was awesome too and way way better than the first one. :D

The "outcasts/second class citizen" messages in X-men is kind of lost to me. In reality, minorities don't have superpowers that save the world on a regular basis. I liked the direction they took with The Wolverine a little more, even though its depiction of Japan was...yeah. And the villain was...yeah.

I thought Man of Steel was okay. Considering the bar for Superman movies is ankle-high at this point, I mean you can't expect that much.

That's the thing though, he totally is susceptible. He has the whole power/responsibility schtick of spiderman, the whole outcast/not like us issues of the mutants of the X-Men, in addition to the whole dual identity thing that is in like every comic. Despite all his power, he's still just as flawed as the rest of us. You should totally totally read "Red Son" or "for the man who has everything" or Birthright.

But if you want to discuss other comics, we can totally do so. I saw The Wolverine and thought that movie was awesome too and way way better than the first one. :D

Haha, the dual identity thing is what I was referencing (albeit in a way that only works in my own mind) with the 'love interest in distress' thing. My absolute least favorite superhero trope :laugh:

The "outcasts/second class citizen" messages in X-men is kind of lost to me. In reality, minorities don't have superpowers that save the world on a regular basis. I liked the direction they took with The Wolverine a little more, even though its depiction of Japan was...yeah. And the villain was...yeah.

I thought Man of Steel was okay. Considering the bar for Superman movies is ankle-high at this point, I mean you can't expect that much.

I was kinda bummed at how they portrayed Silver Samurai in The Wolverine, since he's an actual mutant in the comics. Still though, far better movie than the first one. I saw that movie for free on a plane ride and still wanted a refund. I'll never get those hours of my life back. :laugh:

I did go into Man of Steel with lower expectations considering how tame Superman Return was. I was very glad to be surprised by it. I'm a sucker for big time action scenes and if there's any movie that should have that, its a Superman movie, which did not disappoint.

I'm usually considered the opposite of a shy person; I don't worry about streaking, emotional convos, explicit convos, I don't have secrets, etc...but leave my music out of it!

Pics or it didn't happen

I'm sad that the fluffy kitty/puppy thread wasn't merged into here. Come on mods.

but the thread was closed and i needs mah kittehs

3ru8ce.jpg

I agree with mehc012. Let's not contaminate the social thread with drunk McRunner's random posts

I wasn't drunk! I just like fluffy things sometimes when I'm stressed *sigh*

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1376918908.101352.jpg