Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's kinda like having an afro, but more Turkish. Also hi!

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone is deleting the posts so the owner of the "top" is lost. The buffer is created as a backup.

That person is a genius...or a mod. Or a genius mod. Or maybe it's more random off-topic threads getting merged in?

Dude its a fez
Oh, okay. A Fez. :laugh::rofl:
20130811051527!Fez.jpg

Someone is deleting the posts so the owner of the "top" is lost. The buffer is created as a backup.

When you say it in the present tense it sounds like the script to a trailer for a major motion picture

Oh yes, I got that right away. I was merely supplying context to those questioning the awesomeness of the fez!

:)

And bow ties are cool.

I love the pic u supplied too, seeing as I look like River IRL, we have the same type of hair at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how is everyone doing in fantasy football today?

Spotted on the interview trail: did you know gunners have a publication for them/by them? Just kidding I don't actually know what it's about.

mXoEMys.jpg

Man, premed is alot more social than prepharm or pharmacy for that matter.

Soooo hello!

Spotted on the interview trail: did you know gunners have a publication for them/by them? Just kidding I don't actually know what it's about.

mXoEMys.jpg

this actually exists? lol

this actually exists? lol

What kind of articles did it have?

How to pimp your classmates
Top 10 places to drop a fake study guide
The best questions to ask when class is about to end

What kind of articles did it have?

How to pimp your classmates
Top 10 places to drop a fake study guide
The best questions to ask when class is about to end

Haha I didn't flip through, it was sitting at the HPSP table so I'm guessing it has something to do with the military. Possibly a clever pun.

When you guys took intro biology did you guys had to do a group project on chemotaxis?

Since I actually do know what a Fez is..............Does that mean that the cat is a Shriner?

That's strange when I took intro bio the professor made us do that project. I guess it's true she was the toughest teacher on-campus. She also wanted us to even know chemical structures of proteins and some amino acids. :eek:

Don't get weeded out.

Don't get weeded out.
**** no! I'm already in my 20's at this point I really want this and if I have to retake classes to fully get it, I will. But, yeah other teachers in my school who teach bio aren't that hard like her, I would go to other professors review classes and they would talk about her (drama).

That's strange when I took intro bio the professor made us do that project. I guess it's true she was the toughest teacher on-campus. She also wanted us to even know chemical structures of proteins and some amino acids. :eek:

What does that have to do with difficulty? I'm assuming you didn't have to do the projects that I did, either. It's just called going to different schools or having different profs. Most of my profs had us make up our own project as one of our semester ones, which makes it even less likely that we overlap...it's just normal variation.

What does that have to do with difficulty? I'm assuming you didn't have to do the projects that I did, either. It's just called going to different schools or having different profs. Most of my profs had us make up our own project as one of our semester ones, which makes it even less likely that we overlap...it's just normal variation.
¿qué?

You went from "she made us do this project that people not from my school didn't do" to "I guess it's true that she was one of the most difficult professors". I don't follow the logic there. I mean, sure, both statements can be true, but I don't see the connection between them.

You went from "she made us do this project that people not from my school didn't do" to "I guess it's true that she was one of the most difficult professors". I don't follow the logic there. I mean, sure, both statements can be true, but I don't see the connection between them.
Hmmm, have you ever thought about becoming a detective?

Yeah about that, La Presse had mentioned that's more like a microbiology subject and someone else said no. I thought to myself this teacher also wanted us to know chemical structures and intro bio has fresh new pre-meds, we have never took inorganic chem or organic. In addition, the whole she made us do this and then the difficulty of her where in separate post. It was like a thought to myself, but I posted it in a comment.

Hmmm, have you ever thought about becoming a detective?

Yeah about that, La Presse had mentioned that's more like a microbiology subject and someone else said no. I thought to myself this teacher also wanted us to know chemical structures and intro bio has fresh new pre-meds, we have never took inorganic chem or organic. In addition, the whole she made us do this and then the difficulty of her where in separate post. It was like a thought to myself, but I posted it in a comment.
Lol.
I was mostly commenting on the probability that any two profs would assign the same exact project anyway (except for Genetics...everyone does that MFing fruit fly expt). As for learning the chemical formulas, that's just hit or miss with different profs. Don't need to know orgo for that; most biologic reactions have nothing to do with orgo reactions; they cheat and use enzymes for everything!
Then again, maybe I'm biased towards heterogeneity in classes...my school never catered at all to the pre-med crowd. It wasn't until my postbacc that I ever heard a professor so much as mention the MCAT in passing. They just dgaf what the premed requirements were or what the MCAT tested. If you were in their Bio class, they assumed you were there to learn Bio because you were interested in the subject, and they went on whatever tangent of emphasis they felt fit best. Your prof clearly likes the chem aspects of it; I didn't take Bio1, but my micro prof was super into gut microbiota and my genetics prof spent a lot of time on epigenetics because she thought it was cool.
I almost fell over in shock when my post-bacc professor glossed over an area she was clearly interested in because it wasn't tested on the MCAT and she knew we were all prehealth. In some ways it's nice, because now my class translates straight to MCAT subjects, but on the other hand...I miss learning crazy details of whatever my prof is passionate about, you know?

Lol.
I was mostly commenting on the probability that any two profs would assign the same exact project anyway (except for Genetics...everyone does that MFing fruit fly expt). As for learning the chemical formulas, that's just hit or miss with different profs. Don't need to know orgo for that; most biologic reactions have nothing to do with orgo reactions; they cheat and use enzymes for everything!
Then again, maybe I'm biased towards heterogeneity in classes...my school never catered at all to the pre-med crowd. It wasn't until my postbacc that I ever heard a professor so much as mention the MCAT in passing. They just dgaf what the premed requirements were or what the MCAT tested. If you were in their Bio class, they assumed you were there to learn Bio because you were interested in the subject, and they went on whatever tangent of emphasis they felt fit best. Your prof clearly likes the chem aspects of it; I didn't take Bio1, but my micro prof was super into gut microbiota and my genetics prof spent a lot of time on epigenetics because she thought it was cool.
I almost fell over in shock when my post-bacc professor glossed over an area she was clearly interested in because it wasn't tested on the MCAT and she knew we were all prehealth. In some ways it's nice, because now my class translates straight to MCAT subjects, but on the other hand...I miss learning crazy details of whatever my prof is passionate about, you know?
Lol I had to do that lame experiment too (fruit fly in intro bio), also build a DNA replica and explain everything on it. What was your major?

Chemistry...I tested into the condensed Gen Chem (2 semesters in 1, sort of), though, so I took nothing but organic chem classes until senior year when they reminded me that I couldn't graduate if I didn't take a 300-level pChem as well.
I also nearly finished a Bio major, but ran out of Micro courses (the one downside of LACs) and decided that it wasn't worth suffering through 2-3 classes that didn't interest me just to get a 2nd major. (My school didn't grant minors.)
I'm surprised that the fruit flies were intro bio, though...it's the only constant project I've heard of everywhere, and it's the quintessential Genetics project.

Chemistry...I tested into the condensed Gen Chem (2 semesters in 1, sort of), though, so I took nothing but organic chem classes until senior year when they reminded me that I couldn't graduate if I didn't take a 300-level pChem as well.
I also nearly finished a Bio major, but ran out of Micro courses (the one downside of LACs) and decided that it wasn't worth suffering through 2-3 classes that didn't interest me just to get a 2nd major. (My school didn't grant minors.)
I'm surprised that the fruit flies were intro bio, though...it's the only constant project I've heard of everywhere, and it's the quintessential Genetics project.

Gotta love Drosophila. ;)

OK, how are people quoting posts these days? I no longer have the button anywhere and it's REALLY annoying. On the plus side, I no longer have to 'Reply' to someone in order to post, but still...quotes. Yeah.

Anyway, after I took Genetics I ended up working in the lab with the guy who ran our fruit fly stuff for my school. Not only was the project he had me on fruit-fly related, but when it was slow he had me clean all of the tubes from his lab AND from all of the Genetics students...worst. campus job. ever. Seriously, whenever people were done with a tube they'd stick it in the freezer, and then I had to round them all up and autoclave HUNDREDS of the stupid things, and then wash each one by hand while they were all soupy and full of steaming fly carcasses(so the food would come out), and then autoclave the clean tubes again. It smelled so incredibly terrible. Def quit that job after one year; I blame that on why I only had 2yrs of research in college.

OK, how are people quoting posts these days? I no longer have the button anywhere and it's REALLY annoying. On the plus side, I no longer have to 'Reply' to someone in order to post, but still...quotes. Yeah
Next to the signature, there is the "Like" and "Reply" button. Clicking on "Reply" will automatically quote the comment.

**** no! I'm already in my 20's at this point I really want this and if I have to retake classes to fully get it, I will. But, yeah other teachers in my school who teach bio aren't that hard like her, I would go to other professors review classes and they would talk about her (drama).
What Texas school do you go to?