Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Next to the signature, there is the "Like" and "Reply" button. Clicking on "Reply" will automatically quote the comment.
That's frustratingly confusing given what the reply button USED to do. Ah, well, at least I know now!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get used to it, don't worry!
I'm not worried...it's the least of my concerns over the new site design. I'm reserving judgement until the final form is solidified, however! Current forerunner for worries? Likes/trophy points. They seem...unnecessary and/or contributory to one of my current least favorite aspects of online forums. It'd be nice if we could at least choose not to display ours on our avatar...if you care about the rep thing, go ahead and display it to show that you are a 'good' poster. If not, leave it off.
On the other hand, there are several definite improvements so...as I said, judgement reserved until its finalized!

I'm not worried...it's the least of my concerns over the new site design. I'm reserving judgement until the final form is solidified, however! Current forerunner for worries? Likes/trophy points. They seem...unnecessary and/or contributory to one of my current least favorite aspects of online forums.
:-(

Ah, see, you were too quick! I got stuck with a partial post because my insta-edit got hung up in the bowels of Xfinity (curse you Comcast!)
I truly am excited about a lot of the changes...the alerts button is nice, though the site is still slow cuz, you know, updating at the moment. The new reply system is good - I'm hoping MultiQuote will come back in some form or other, but it's not a deal-breaker if it doesn't, and it IS nice that we don't have to respond directly to someone anymore. It's already looking better than it did RIGHT after the update...at least the colors and the logo are back to normal! So, yeah...I imagine all of the little details I like about the site will be back soon, or have an equivalent 'new' version.

I'm not worried...it's the least of my concerns over the new site design. I'm reserving judgement until the final form is solidified, however! Current forerunner for worries? Likes/trophy points. They seem...unnecessary and/or contributory to one of my current least favorite aspects of online forums. It'd be nice if we could at least choose not to display ours on our avatar...if you care about the rep thing, go ahead and display it to show that you are a 'good' poster. If not, leave it off.
On the other hand, there are several definite improvements so...as I said, judgement reserved until its finalized!
Ah, see, you were too quick! I got stuck with a partial post because my insta-edit got hung up in the bowels of Xfinity (curse you Comcast!)
I truly am excited about a lot of the changes...the alerts button is nice, though the site is still slow cuz, you know, updating at the moment. The new reply system is good - I'm hoping MultiQuote will come back in some form or other, but it's not a deal-breaker if it doesn't, and it IS nice that we don't have to respond directly to someone anymore. It's already looking better than it did RIGHT after the update...at least the colors and the logo are back to normal! So, yeah...I imagine all of the little details I like about the site will be back soon, or have an equivalent 'new' version.
this "multiquote"?

Chemistry...I tested into the condensed Gen Chem (2 semesters in 1, sort of), though, so I took nothing but organic chem classes until senior year when they reminded me that I couldn't graduate if I didn't take a 300-level pChem as well.
I also nearly finished a Bio major, but ran out of Micro courses (the one downside of LACs) and decided that it wasn't worth suffering through 2-3 classes that didn't interest me just to get a 2nd major. (My school didn't grant minors.)
I'm surprised that the fruit flies were intro bio, though...it's the only constant project I've heard of everywhere, and it's the quintessential Genetics project.
I told you she was the devil.

The Walking Dead starts in 30 mins! any fans?

Mostly of the comic, but the show's alright too. It needs to be on a premium cable network like HBO or Showtime to get all of the material from the comic.

I told you she was the devil.
Lol, OK. I just meant that it was unusual, not terrible. Genetics isn't that bad; it's the first Bio class I took in college and I enjoyed the hell out of it! CLEANING the fly carcasses, however, IS hell. :/

Lol, OK. I just meant that it was unusual, not terrible. Genetics isn't that bad; it's the first Bio class I took in college and I enjoyed the hell out of it! CLEANING the fly carcasses, however, IS hell. :/

All we did was throw away the vials and dumped the flies into the morgue.

Members don't see this ad :)
All we did was throw away the vials and dumped the flies into the morgue.
Ah. At my school the vials were glass, and were reused. I was the person responsible for cleaning them all. :O I think I described it above...it involved autoclaving it into a soup and then hand washing fly-food/dead drosophila soup out of each vial.

Ah. At my school the vials were glass, and were reused. I was the person responsible for cleaning them all. :O I think I described it above...it involved autoclaving it into a soup and then hand washing fly-food/dead drosophila soup out of each vial.
I'm trying to find my lab book, but there is this lab thingy we did with goat blood (like in a gel type form) samples and we put some liquid on it and then put it inside an incubator. I wish I can remember.

Hi, I'm a Freshmen and I was wondering if it was normal for someone to attend Medical School once they were completed with their Bachelors degree? I know usually pre med students apply for Medical School during the end of their Junior year but can you do the same once you're graduated?

I know its a stupid question but I just need reassurance on the whole thing. Thanks :D

Hi, I'm a Freshmen and I was wondering if it was normal for someone to attend Medical School once they were completed with their Bachelors degree? I know usually pre med students apply for Medical School during the end of their Junior year but can you do the same once you're graduated?

I know its a stupid question but I just need reassurance on the whole thing. Thanks :D

Totally normal. If you look at the average age of matriculants there are a significant number of people who take some time between college and medical school.

Also: this new forum is seaux trippy

Anyone here had a bad clinical volunteering experience before?

This semester I started volunteering in the surg icu at the teaching hospital here. my task is basically to sit in the waiting room and watch the families and allow only 2 in at a time. I get to walk around too and see if there's >2 in the rooms. Problem is...95% of the people already know this rule, so I just sit there for 4 hours at a time doing jack. I'm almost at 30 hours now and think I've gotten all I can from it. Going to pull the plug and contacted the volunteer coordinator for the med school instead...where they have shadowing built into the volunteering program.

Anyone here had a bad clinical volunteering experience before?

This semester I started volunteering in the surg icu at the teaching hospital here. my task is basically to sit in the waiting room and watch the families and allow only 2 in at a time. I get to walk around too and see if there's >2 in the rooms. Problem is...95% of the people already know this rule, so I just sit there for 4 hours at a time doing jack. I'm almost at 30 hours now and think I've gotten all I can from it. Going to pull the plug and contacted the volunteer coordinator for the med school instead...where they have shadowing built into the volunteering program.
Can you changed to another area of the hospital?

Can you changed to another area of the hospital?
Yes, would have to be next semester. I prefer the other volunteering opportunity though because it's more "hands on" and lets you shadow the Physicians too. Wish I knew about it before I signed up for the current one.

Yes, would have to be next semester. I prefer the other volunteering opportunity though because it's more "hands on" and lets you shadow the Physicians too. Wish I knew about it before I signed up for the current one.
Over here in Texas (what I have seen) if you volunteer for Texas Children's Hospital they let volunteers shadow doc's or be their helper. At lest that's what it seem to me when I saw a doctor come in with a volunteer.

Over here in Texas (what I have seen) if you volunteer for Texas Children's Hospital they let volunteers shadow doc's or be their helper. At lest that's what it seem to me when I saw a doctor come in with a volunteer.
That's cool. I'm in Texas also actually. Undergrad is Tech. The Med school here is where they let you shadow as a part of the volunteering.

That's cool. I'm in Texas also actually. Undergrad is Tech. The Med school here is where they let you shadow as a part of the volunteering.
How is it over there in Lubbock? Is it the same as College Station?

How is it over there in Lubbock? Is it the same as College Station?
Oh do you like in College Station? I actually did for 2 years. It was okay, but as a whole I didn't feel like I fit in with the culture down there. Of course you can always fit into your bubbles, but I was at Blinn, not A&M.

As for Lubbock, it's a way better than I expected. We're isolated from other cities, but Lubbock itself is a medium sized city...you can get pretty much anything you need here. People are really nice here too, two big hospitals in town too. I'm liking it so far!

It depends on the available options. I'm sure an A is possible but you'd have to put in a lot of work. It's too bad her year-over-year average grade distribution isn't posted.

Check out what people are saying about the other profs.

Well just looked over the Biology courses that are available as of now and she's the only professor...hopefully there will be more professors teaching Bio as Nov. 11 begins to creep in.

Just by reading these "reviews" from former students would you take this Biology instructor? http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=637631
Yup, I would have. Not only do I not trust online reviews, I am more miserable with easy profs than with hard ones. Sounds like she's interested in the subject rather than just teaching the minimum; I would take that course in a heartbeat.
Plus, if the tests are harder to study for, I tend to do better, as I'm far better at actual test-taking than I am at studying. S'why I rocked the SAT (I think particularly because it was the first year of the new test and no one knew what was up, though I didn't research it and actually didn't know the test had changed until I got my score back and it wasn't out of 1600)...it's the ultimate 'are you good at taking tests' test rather than one you can study for. I actually kinda want to take the new MCAT for that very reason.

Oh do you like in College Station? I actually did for 2 years. It was okay, but as a whole I didn't feel like I fit in with the culture down there. Of course you can always fit into your bubbles, but I was at Blinn, not A&M.

As for Lubbock, it's a way better than I expected. We're isolated from other cities, but Lubbock itself is a medium sized city...you can get pretty much anything you need here. People are really nice here too, two big hospitals in town too. I'm liking it so far!
I don't live there yet, but I'm hoping to go to Texas A&M. I have visited College Station before. I like it. It's a medium size rural college town, I like that most of the people in the city are my age. They got nice apartments for a good price. Houston is only 2 hrs away so if you got family there you could always visit once in a while. I got a friend who goes to Tech and she only comes home on long breaks.

Yup, I would have. Not only do I not trust online reviews, I am more miserable with easy profs than with hard ones. Sounds like she's interested in the subject rather than just teaching the minimum; I would take that course in a heartbeat.
Plus, if the tests are harder to study for, I tend to do better, as I'm far better at actual test-taking than I am at studying. S'why I rocked the SAT (I think particularly because it was the first year of the new test and no one knew what was up, though I didn't research it and actually didn't know the test had changed until I got my score back and it wasn't out of 1600)...it's the ultimate 'are you good at taking tests' test rather than one you can study for. I actually kinda want to take the new MCAT for that very reason.
I kinda agree with you, now. I know a lot of students who tend to like the hard teachers because they know medical school is not a joke. So they like to be challenge.

You're right. I actually might take her class, but for now I'm really waiting to see if any other professors will teach Biology next semester. Thanks for all the info guy!

I don't live there yet, but I'm hoping to go to Texas A&M. I have visited College Station before. I like it. It's a medium size rural college town, I like that most of the people in the city are my age. They got nice apartments for a good price. Houston is only 2 hrs away so if you got family there you could always visit once in a while. I got a friend who goes to Tech and she only comes home on long breaks.
Definitely A&M is in a great location. Austin is 2 hours away, Houston 2 hrs away, and DFW 3-4 hrs away. And housing is DIRT cheap. I payed $216 rent in a place for my own room lol.

Have you ran into Johnny Football? :D

Saw him one time at dominos lol.

One time he went out to NG on a Tuesday. My roommates girlfriend and her friends did also, took pics with him and posted to twitter. Later that week there's a yahoo sports news story "Johnny football goes to northgate on a Tuesday, women flock to him" with my buddy's girlfriend and him at the top. We gave my roommate so much crap for that haha.

Definitely A&M is in a great location. Austin is 2 hours away, Houston 2 hrs away, and DFW 3-4 hrs away. And housing is DIRT cheap. I payed $216 rent in a place for my own room lol.
Wow 216! what amenities does it include?

Wow 216! what amenities does it include?

Sounds like it was a house, and probably an older one. I lived in CS for five years, you can get good prices for sure. But low $200s is extremely low, even for CS. More reasonable is around $600 all in for a modest/slightly crummy 1 bed apt, or $400 all in for similar accommodations in a house if you're sharing. There are always sweet deals out there though, if you look hard enough.

Sounds like it was a house, and probably an older one. I lived in CS for five years, you can get good prices for sure. But low $200s is extremely low, even for CS. More reasonable is around $600 all in for a modest/slightly crummy 1 bed apt, or $400 all in for similar accommodations in a house if you're sharing. There are always sweet deals out there though, if you look hard enough.
I think he was talking about the price he is paying for in Lubbock. Yeah, I CS you can get a lot of stuff include paying 555-600. But it sucks that's the rpice you pay for a room and not the apartment. When me an my lil bro move over there we are looking for 2 bedroom . What are some good apartments that are pet friendly, good price, nice looking, and got cute girls living in the community?

I think he was talking about the price he is paying for in Lubbock. Yeah, I CS you can get a lot of stuff include paying 555-600. But it sucks that's the rpice you pay for a room and not the apartment. When me an my lil bro move over there we are looking for 2 bedroom . What are some good apartments that are pet friendly, good price, nice looking, and got cute girls living in the community?

Oh well he said A&M in the post so I was just going off that. It depends on which of those you're prioritizing. If you're big on nice looking, parkway place or 2818 place, the zone, or callaway villas. Price more important? Then reveille ranch, crossing place, or meadows point. There are of course significantly nicer places like the lofts, the woodlands, campus village, and now I guess the rise, but expect to pay a premium. Hotties of course live at all of them and as far as I know most are pretty pet friendly. Since the town is in such a boom because of the growth of the school you've got your pick of great places to live. Note that these are notorious undergrad apartments and as such are typically avoided by the grad/ professional school crowd.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions bro

It was the place I lived at in Cstat...called Oney Hervey duplexes. Place was 3 bedrooms..I think like 900 sq ft. $650 a month, split 3 ways = 216. Wasn't the nicest though, not furnished and mostly oldish appliances. Other college students were abundant though.

I also met Johnny there, haha got a pic!

I was a delivery driver so am very familiar with the area too. There are some apartments that actually do let you lease the place, not the room. Take a look at Renaissance Park or Madison Pointe...Also, many of the apartment complexes in Bryan are not room/student tailored...it's right next to College Station and A&M so isn't an issue.

Oh well he said A&M in the post so I was just going off that. It depends on which of those you're prioritizing. If you're big on nice looking, parkway place or 2818 place, the zone, or callaway villas. Price more important? Then reveille ranch, crossing place, or meadows point. There are of course significantly nicer places like the lofts, the woodlands, campus village, and now I guess the rise, but expect to pay a premium. Hotties of course live at all of them and as far as I know most are pretty pet friendly. Since the town is in such a boom because of the growth of the school you've got your pick of great places to live. Note that these are notorious undergrad apartments and as such are typically avoided by the grad/ professional school crowd.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions bro
Thanks for the information. Yes! I got two dogs who are small and are chick magnets. I know about Knightsgate it's mostly for grad students, those are nice and modern.

Last edited:
It was the place I lived at in Cstat...called Oney Hervey duplexes. Place was 3 bedrooms..I think like 900 sq ft. $650 a month, split 3 ways = 216. Wasn't the nicest though, not furnished and mostly oldish appliances. Other college students were abundant though.

I also met Johnny there, haha got a pic!

I was a delivery driver so am very familiar with the area too. There are some apartments that actually do let you lease the place, not the room. Take a look at Renaissance Park or Madison Pointe...Also, many of the apartment complexes in Bryan are not room/student tailored...it's right next to College Station and A&M so isn't an issue.
Can you tell if the city is Hispanic friendly? That time I went I spoke with a Blinn counselor and she told me CS is mostly Hispanic and White community, but there was some racism there and there. Is it true?

Thanks for the information. Yes! I got two dogs who are small and are chick magnets. I know about Knightsgate it's mostly for grad students, those are nice and modern.

Small as in ~knee height or small as in puntable/terrier/chihuahua/rodent-sized? Cuz brah, one of those is a chick magnet and the other is only a Paris Hilton magnet.

Small as in ~knee height or small as in puntable/terrier/chihuahua/rodent-sized? Cuz brah, one of those is a chick magnet and the other is only a Paris Hilton magnet.
About shin high. Nobody is kicking my dogs, unless they want a white light flash before their eyes. Are you a female or male?

About shin high. Nobody is kicking my dogs, unless they want a white light flash before their eyes. Are you a female or male?
I would never kick a dog...love 'em dearly. However, my family does and always has called them 'puntables' just because, well...they are small and light enough, I guess. When you say it people know exactly which kind of pet you are talking about. They seem really popular out here...for some reason that seems to be practically the only kind of dog you can find out here in Cali, which is just weird to me. I mean, to each their own, but why does EVERYONE here have purse-puppies rather than a more median size? My only real issue with them is that it seems like a lot of people don't bother training the little ones because 'they're harmless'...which doesn't stop them from yipping or licking people, running away, or make them better leash-trained...which is, as always with dogs, more of a complaint about irresponsible owners rather than the animals themselves.
Personally, I want a dog big enough to go running with me, or accompany me on my bike, or snuggle without worrying about crushing! Sadly, my (old) puppy died this year and I've realized that it'd be irresponsible to get another dog when I don't even know where I'll be living in 2yrs time, and I plan on having a very busy schedule for quite some time.

PS: Female...por qué?

Can you tell if the city is Hispanic friendly? That time I went I spoke with a Blinn counselor and she told me CS is mostly Hispanic and White community, but there was some racism there and there. Is it true?
For the most part I'm sure both College Station and Bryan are Hispanic friendly. I had lots of Hispanic friends that had no worries at all! All in all, it's a pretty good college town.