Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I ******* love transplant surgeries! I would like to do adult and peds CT as well.
Peds CT is super cool to me because the kinds of procedures they do are just...they're a freaking ART form! Check out this guy's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Redmond111
Plus, I love kids, I love the idea of making an entire life possible (as opposed to extending one already most way through), I love the variety involved in the operations (different defects, different ages/size kids, etc), I love how...new and undamaged they seem. I dunno, maybe these seem like strange criteria; I don't mean to judge the patients or anything, but I would love to be able to help kids and advocate for children and work with the whole family. I couldn't do regular Peds because I hate nervous nellie helicopter parents who bring their kid in every time they get the sniffles, but I could totally imagine working with kids/parents on a non-primary-care basis. Plus, the path to Peds CT could stick me in gen surg, peds surg, or CT surg, depending on where I strike out (making it all the way is extremely slim odds), and I could see myself happy in any of those.
On the other hand, I could see myself liking trauma surgery or something similar because I enjoy high intensity situations, I don't panic, and I like FIXING things, right here and now...in the sense of doing whatever I can in a given situation to make it work. I know, I know...I am naive and know nothing about any of these things, but hey, it's fun to dream, eh? How would I have all of the energy to work towards med without SOME sort of crazy dream to work towards?

What draws you in about transplant?

Reactions: 1 user
What draws you in about transplant?
The second chances ppl get in life. Knowing yourtpatient is close to death and once you find a donor, you rush to get it and then do the whole transplant surgery and wishing for the best. That great feeling I see doc's get after a positive outcome. I have been given a second chance in life and it is great. Not from health-wise. I come from a rough background. Since you are around my age and if you are worried of being too old for the long years to become a CT, look into integrated programs. Stanford has an I6 CT residency and 1 yr fellowship for peds or 1yr for transplant.

The second chances ppl get in life. Knowing yourtpatient is close to death and once you find a donor, you rush to get it and then do the whole transplant surgery and wishing for the best. That great feeling I see doc's get after a positive outcome. I have been given a second chance in life and it is great. Not from health-wise. I come from a rough background. Since you are around my age and if you are worried of being too old for the long years to become a CT, look into integrated programs. Stanford has an I6 CT residency and 1 yr fellowship for peds or 1yr for transplant.
Fair enough, that's an awesome motivation! Loooooong surgeries, though, right? So do you work with transplant docs or have you just talked to a few?
I'm not too worried about age...I don't want a house or a fancy car or an early retirement. I've been thinking about the integrated programs, but I think I'd have to see whether I would be happier in peds or CT if the combo doesn't work out (or you know, if I find something completely different along the way). I didn't know about the 1yr fellowship CT -> peds CT though, that's neat!

Fair enough, that's an awesome motivation! Loooooong surgeries, though, right? So do you work with transplant docs or have you just talked to a few?
I'm not too worried about age...I've been thinking about the integrated programs, but I think I'd have to see whether I would be happier in peds or CT if the combo doesn't work out (or you know, if I find something completely different along the way). I didn't know about the 1yr fellowship CT -> peds CT though, that's neat!
Nah from documentaries like Hopkins I see their reactions. Mr Avante here on SDN is a CT surgeon if you didn't know. I do plan on getting certified for surgical tech, though. 1) for the love of working with surgeons and early surgery clinical time. 2) LORS lol
So you want to do regular GS peds or CT peds? In most I6 programs you have to go through a peds ct rotation

Last edited:
Nah from documentaries like Hopkins I see their reactions. Mr Avante here on SDN is a CT surgeon if you didn't know. I do plan on getting certified for surgical tech, though. 1) for the love of working with surgeons and early surgery clinical time. 2) LORS lol
So you want to do regular GS peds or CT peds? In most I6 programs you have to go through a peds ct rotation
Nah, I like leaving things open and flexible is all. I currently think Peds CT is really cool, but I could see myself getting really into a variety of different things. I figure I'll bounce through a lot of rotations and probably end up going in some completely different direction that I never saw coming!

Nah, I like leaving things open and flexible is all. I currently think Peds CT is really cool, but I could see myself getting really into a variety of different things. I figure I'll bounce through a lot of rotations and probably end up going in some completely different direction that I never saw coming!
Oh okay. You see for me I know I will be like 30-31 when I graduate medical school, so traditional track for CT, no thanks. I also love neurosurgery, but I don't know if I can do that and being 40 trying to barely get my attending income. By then I should be having a family to raise and try to be there for them. Or else forever alone. I'm 80% surgery 20% Radiation Oncology.

Oh okay. You see for me I know I will be like 30-31 when I graduate medical school, so traditional track for CT, no thanks. I also love neurosurgery, but I don't know if I can do that and being 40 trying to barely get my attending income. By then I should be having a family to raise and try to be there for them. Or else forever alone. I'm 80% surgery 20% Radiation Oncology.
I'm pretty much going on the forever alone assumption...I like pleasant surprises better than I like disappointment! If I apply Jun 2014 I'll be 24...28 when I finish med school, mid 30s when I finish any additional training I choose to pursue. I'm fine mostly letting life happen on its own.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty much going on the forever alone assumption...I like pleasant surprises better than I like disappointment! If I apply Jun 2014 I'll be 24...28 when I finish med school, mid 30s when I finish any additional training I choose to pursue. I'm fine mostly letting life happen on its own.
That sucks. Maybe you will find somebody in medical school or residency. Have you taken the MCAT?

That sucks. Maybe you will find somebody in medical school or residency. Have you taken the MCAT?
No, I'm making myself wait until next summer...the timing works best that way. I'm not worried about finding someone. It will work out on its own!

No, I'm making myself wait until next summer...the timing works best that way. I'm not worried about finding someone. It will work out on its own!
Alright. I'm watching the vids of the link you shared. Pretty cool.

Alright. I'm watching the vids of the link you shared. Pretty cool.
The only one I can even tell what he's looking at is the aortic coarctation. At any rate, I think it's awesome that he shared all of those procedures...it's something few people would get to see without!

The only one I can even tell what he's looking at is the aortic coarctation. At any rate, I think it's awesome that he shared all of those procedures...it's something few people would get to see without!
lol yeah. I started thinking to my self, "Man! I don't know if my big ass hands can work with a heart in that size."

lol yeah. I started thinking to my self, "Man! I don't know if my big ass hands can work with a heart in that size."
Yeah...especially at the beginning when he just puts his hand over their entire ribcage. My brain explodes.

Gas is $2.79 where I live. Winning. I think you can find better/newer vehicles for what you are looking for. Ford has a lot of crossovers and SUV's that have the space and flex fuel. If you want just do some more research on newer vehicles on what they offer. Instead of driving a dinosaur. lol

LizLemonWhattheWhat.gif

Yeah, dude. If you pay with cash it's $2.79 at Exxon other places it is at 2.83 or more. The highest I have seen it is $2.87

I don't think i was of legal driving age the last time I saw gas for under $3.00/gallon.

Why is everything like 3 times as expensive in CA?
lol my opinion is they are trying to keep people from living there, hahaha. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. Southern California is overpopulated. A sh*tty/old house can cost around 300-400k and in Texas brand new you can get one around 140k

Well prematch is in 4 days...
but anywhere from NOV 15 - DEC 31

In the unlikely chance that I dont receive a prematch acceptance, Ill find out Feb 1.
Sounds good, man. What are your top choices from your list?

I know content was supposed to have been deleted and all during the server switchover this morning, but this is weird. So about an hour ago I got an email from SDN saying the ruralsurg guy had sent me a PM - I checked on my SDN app but couldn't see anything, I figured because of the transfer. In the email it had like a preview of the message he sent which was something about the mods banning him from posting for a period of time.

Anyway, now that the forums are back to normal, I went to see if I could find his PM but it wasn't there, and the really weird part is when I checked my email to read over the preview of his message again it wasn't in my inbox anymore. I didn't even know it was possible for an email to be redacted like that out of my inbox but somehow that is apparently what happened. Unless I'm losing it.