This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, forever is a long time. No need to go quite that far. You might have to work for it, but you can get there. People will probably tell you to do a master program or put in another year or two to try to get closer to a 3.0.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I really would like to apply this upcoming cycle. Do I stand 0 chance of getting accepted? Pod application does not do grade replacement right?

Members don't see this ad.

I really would like to apply this upcoming cycle. Do I stand 0 chance of getting accepted? Pod application does not do grade replacement right?
There's always a chance. You might as well apply. The application process for pod isn't quite as expensive as for MD school.

And correct, no grade replacement.

There's always a chance. You might as well apply. The application process for pod isn't quite as expensive as for MD school.

And correct, no grade replacement.

Sorry for bothering you over and over. But may I ask you if you recommend some specific podiatry school for me to apply this cycle?

And, I am also looking to apply smp or postbac programs since I originally planned to apply for DO programs and I just don't have the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for bothering you over and over. But may I ask you if you recommend some specific podiatry school for me to apply this cycle?

And, I am also looking to apply smp or postbac programs since I originally planned to apply for DO programs and I just don't have the numbers.
All of them. There are only 9 and I promise that the price difference between applying for one and applying for nine is not that much.

Cgpa 2.88
Sgpa 2.85
MCAT: soon to be taken

I spent a year retaking classes and I did not do well on ochem 2 retake due to car accident problems on the final's week.

I have over 600+ hours of hospital volunteering
300+ hours leadership team in that hospital volunteering program
2 years in physician shadowing organization
1 year as an officer in physician shadowing organization
3 years in research
6months as foreign exchange conversation partner
One year in optometry club member

Have not shadowed a podiatrist yet.

Am I doomed forever from any medical field?

You will need a really good MCAT score to balance out your GPA, but even then, it's not a guarantee that you will get an interview. When exactly are you going to take the MCAT?

As @bobtheweazel stated, there will be people recommending a masters program for you and I am one of those people. If you can get into a program, show you can handle the workload and obtain a good GPA, it would look a lot better on your application.

We can all sit here and estimate your chances, but your primary focus should be shadowing a podiatrist. You need to see if you will like this profession and would be willing to do it for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if you could help me gauge my chances?

- MCAT 22 (I am retaking it)
- 2.07sci. and 2.47cGPA
- I'm currently in a SMP at an allopathic medical school with a 3.5 GPA
- I will be shadowing a podiatrist soon
- My mission president (LDS mission) was a podiatrist. I served a mission in Guatemala and he helped me overcome severe foot pain due to a cellulitis infection.
- I have really good ECs
- URM (Native American)

Thank you for your time and advice.

Chance me

cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.46 (with calculus and stats included)
MCAT: 502(128/123/128/123)

Setting up a shadow with podiatrist soon, very interested in this profession due to its hand on experience.
EC: 120 volunteer in oncology clinic
2700 hours tutoring
Few shadowing hours (100) with physicians of all kind.

I'm also interetes in some scholarship opportunity as well.

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if you could help me gauge my chances?

- MCAT 22 (I am retaking it)
- 2.07sci. and 2.47cGPA
- I'm currently in a SMP at an allopathic medical school with a 3.5 GPA
- I will be shadowing a podiatrist soon
- My mission president (LDS mission) was a podiatrist. I served a mission in Guatemala and he helped me overcome severe foot pain due to a cellulitis infection.
- I have really good ECs
- URM (Native American)

Thank you for your time and advice.

Undergrad is horrible.

SMP looks great. Try to graduate with the 3.5 and shoot for 500+ MCAT. You'll get interviews as well as acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Chance me

cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.46 (with calculus and stats included)
MCAT: 502(128/123/128/123)

Setting up a shadow with podiatrist soon, very interested in this profession due to its hand on experience.
EC: 120 volunteer in oncology clinic
2700 hours tutoring
Few shadowing hours (100) with physicians of all kind.

I'm also interetes in some scholarship opportunity as well.

GPA is average/ above average of pod applicants.

MCAT is fine.

Apply early and you'll get acceptances as long as you do well on interviews.

Scholarships are based heavily off GPA and MCAT. Both of which look good in your case.

Don't worry about scholarships. With your GPA and MCAT you'll probably get a few. But don't put that as a the focus. Its not prudent.

Cgpa 2.88
Sgpa 2.85
MCAT: soon to be taken

I spent a year retaking classes and I did not do well on ochem 2 retake due to car accident problems on the final's week.

I have over 600+ hours of hospital volunteering
300+ hours leadership team in that hospital volunteering program
2 years in physician shadowing organization
1 year as an officer in physician shadowing organization
3 years in research
6months as foreign exchange conversation partner
One year in optometry club member

Have not shadowed a podiatrist yet.

Am I doomed forever from any medical field?

Do a rigorous SMP and graduate with 3.2+

Take MCAT and aim for 500+

Apply early and to all schools.

With numbers above, you may get a few interviews.

Never too late to get in medical field. BUT you have to work your ass off and prove it with grades. Optimistic mentality is not enough. Prove you can handle it with your grades.

Undergrad is horrible.

SMP looks great. Try to graduate with the 3.5 and shoot for 500+ MCAT. You'll get interviews as well as acceptances.
Thanks for the response. Do you think I have a shot at DMU if I continue strong in my SMP and a strong MCAT? Do you know how much podiatry schools care about socioeconomic background? I'm a first generation high school graduate.

GPA is average/ above average of pod applicants.

MCAT is fine.

Apply early and you'll get acceptances as long as you do well on interviews.

Scholarships are based heavily off GPA and MCAT. Both of which look good in your case.

Don't worry about scholarships. With your GPA and MCAT you'll probably get a few. But don't put that as a the focus. Its not prudent.

Thank you.
It's kinda hard to find one to shadow in my area. Let's say I shadow in August and get letter somehow by the end of August, would it considered late if I submitted everything by September?

Thank you.
It's kinda hard to find one to shadow in my area. Let's say I shadow in August and get letter somehow by the end of August, would it considered late if I submitted everything by September?
September is not too late. The schools don't really even start looking applications over until September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Do you think I have a shot at DMU if I continue strong in my SMP and a strong MCAT? Do you know how much podiatry schools care about socioeconomic background? I'm a first generation high school graduate.

1- Yes. Strong SMP + 500 MCAT makes up for that. Get those numbers and you'll get interviews.

2- Not sure. But from what I've seen, Pod schools aren't as anal about pushing URM ratios as much as med schools are. May or may not play a role, but IF it does, it won't be as a huge affect as the neurotic posters on Allopathic Pre-med forums make it out to be.

Let me reiterate. Being a URM or first gen high school grad will help you personally. But don't bank on it to get you in. If you were interviewing someone and they tried to push the URM/socioeconomic agenda to get in...would you be comfortable with that knowing full well they're pulling a card they don't need to?

Your work ethic, people skills, grades + MCAT will speak for you. The experiences you've gone through as a URM or socioeconomic difficulties will mold you to be a better person. But don't toss it out as bait for adcoms.

Thank you.

What Bob said, not too late at all.

Some people submitted things in January/Feb and got acceptances as late as May/June.

As for shadowing- 1 full month should be enough. Adcoms are looking for quality, not quanity. There was a thread earlier in forum that asked if people will keep track of how many hours you shadow and if its "enough". They don't. They rarely if ever bring up how many hours you have.

You can shadow for 300+ hrs and still don't know diddly squat about the profession. It will show during interviews.

Some have shadowed for as little as 50hrs. But if they know all the ins and outs of podiatry in varied practices, anything from common procedures to paperwork/insurance/current direction podiatry is headed, you'd bet they stand out more than the other guy.

1- Yes. Strong SMP + 500 MCAT makes up for that. Get those numbers and you'll get interviews.

2- Not sure. But from what I've seen, Pod schools aren't as anal about pushing URM ratios as much as med schools are. May or may not play a role, but IF it does, it won't be as a huge affect as the neurotic posters on Allopathic Pre-med forums make it out to be.

Let me reiterate. Being a URM or first gen high school grad will help you personally. But don't bank on it to get you in. If you were interviewing someone and they tried to push the URM/socioeconomic agenda to get in...would you be comfortable with that knowing full well they're pulling a card they don't need to?

Your work ethic, people skills, grades + MCAT will speak for you. The experiences you've gone through as a URM or socioeconomic difficulties will mold you to be a better person. But don't toss it out as bait for adcoms.
That's some solid advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Hello everyone,

I am applying this August of 2016 for podiatry school (to start on Fall 2017) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight of the chances I have to get in...

Cumulative GPA 3.64 ; science GPA 3.4
MCAT score 490
6 months of shadowing a podiatrist; 6 months of research experience in Alzheimer's disease lab of UCF
180 hrs of paid internship in sports medicine; 80 hrs volunteering in hospital; over 100 hrs non-clinical volunteering spread out including deaf and hard of hearing classroom, food outreach, take me to the doctor event,....

Barry University is my first option, but I am open to hear any advice on how I can improve my application or what are my chances. My biggest concern is my MCAT score at the moment.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello everyone,

I am applying this August of 2016 for podiatry school (to start on Fall 2017) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight of the chances I have to get in...

MCAT score 490
6 months of shadowing a podiatrist; 6 months of research experience in Alzheimer's disease lab of UCF
180 hrs of paid internship in sports medicine; 80 hrs volunteering in hospital; over 100 hrs non-clinical volunteering spread out including deaf and hard of hearing classroom, food outreach, take me to the doctor event,....

Barry University is my first option, but I am open to hear any advice on how I can improve my application or what are my chances. My biggest concern is my MCAT score at the moment.

Thanks in advance!!

GPA and ECs look very solid. Should have no problem with those.

You are correct with MCAT score. Have you considered a retake? Even a few points higher such as 498-503 would guarantee interviews if not acceptances.

Maybe go ahead and send in your app, then add MCAT score after you take it?

https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2013/faq/faq_tests.html

"Official MCAT and US DAT Scores received by AACPMAS after applications have been processed will be forwarded within 24 hours to an applicant’s designated college(s)."

Guess that solves the problem.

Additional info for everyone:

I believe there is a thread in this forum called "Class of 2020 stats" or something to that effect.

If you can find it, there are a lot of stats from applicants who have accepted. It contains what schools they applied to, their GPAs, MCAT scores, and past academic/EC history

Will link later. Its very helpful to see where you stand with your numbers if people can't get to you quick enough on this thread.

EDIT: found them

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/acceptance-stats-class-of-2020.1173723/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacpmas-2015-2016-cycle.1154114/page-33

Hello everyone,

MCAT score 490

Thanks in advance!!

your cGPA and sGPA is very nice. your EC is very good as well.

Your MCAT score is a little low, but I have seen some people who got accepted with a 489.

It's honestly a close call. your MCAT score is low but you do have decent GPA. They might balance each other out. However, based on my experience, a lot of schools put a big emphasis on your MCAT score. If you apply early, you might be fine. If you do end up retaking the MCAT, just make sure you don't end up with a lower score. I would also suggest maybe calling the school admissions and see what they have to say ( I have a feeling they will nitpick your MCAT score).

From what I can remember, Barry requirements aren't that high. I also know that for CSPM, they will give you an interview if you meet the 490 minimum score. Temple might be difficult. They look for students with at least 495+. NYCPM also focuses a lot on MCAT.

This is just me, but I would suggest applying to a couple more schools, just to make sure you will end up somewhere. Might help to apply to the bigger schools.

your cGPA and sGPA is very nice. your EC is very good as well.

Your MCAT score is a little low, but I have seen some people who got accepted with a 489.

It's honestly a close call. your MCAT score is low but you do have decent GPA. They might balance each other out. However, based on my experience, a lot of schools put a big emphasis on your MCAT score. If you apply early, you might be fine. If you do end up retaking the MCAT, just make sure you don't end up with a lower score. I would also suggest maybe calling the school admissions and see what they have to say ( I have a feeling they will nitpick your MCAT score).

From what I can remember, Barry requirements aren't that high. I also know that for CSPM, they will give you an interview if you meet the 490 minimum score. Temple might be difficult. They look for students with at least 495+. NYCPM also focuses a lot on MCAT.

This is just me, but I would suggest applying to a couple more schools, just to make sure you will end up somewhere. Might help to apply to the bigger schools.

Thank you for the response!! And I am starting to consider a retake, I just wanted to apply first to see what happens. I will call Barry tomorrow though and decide from there.
Also, I didn't put mcat score breakdown, but it was
Chem/Physics 126
CARS 120
Bio 121
Psych/Soc 123
I did fairly good in chem/physics, but my CARS section was really bad. I actually learned english/moved to USA only four years ago though so I was hoping that could be an excuse if I do get called for an interview and the question comes up.

Thank you for the response!! And I am starting to consider a retake, I just wanted to apply first to see what happens. I will call Barry tomorrow though and decide from there.
Also, I didn't put mcat score breakdown, but it was
Chem/Physics 126
CARS 120
Bio 121
Psych/Soc 123
I did fairly good in chem/physics, but my CARS section was really bad. I actually learned english/moved to USA only four years ago though so I was hoping that could be an excuse if I do get called for an interview and the question comes up.

Yeah, nice score on the chem/physics lol.

During my interviews, they never asked about my individual scores. If they do for you, that would be a good explanation for CARS section.

As @Weirdy stated, you can submit your application first and then take the MCAT score later. However, you need to indicate on the application that you are going to retake the test and even call the admissions to confirm. Just a heads up, if you do go through retaking the test, they might put your application on hold until they get the new score.

Hello everyone,

MCAT score 490
180 hrs of paid internship in sports medicine; 80 hrs volunteering in hospital; over 100 hrs non-clinical volunteering spread out including deaf and hard of hearing classroom, food outreach, take me to the doctor event,...

Thanks in advance!!

GPA in both categories both safely above average. great experience, good shadowing. a decent improvement on MCAT would assure interviews from anywhere and greatly increase your chances. Your reason for your CARS score is understandable but I feel improvement on Biological sciences would strengthen your resume the most bc they may ask about that being on the lower end. Inbox me if you want more info about Barry's stats from last year as I interviewed there this year and was accepted.

Hey guys I didn't too hot on my MCAT but my GPA, ECs, letters of recommendation are pretty good. Can I still apply to podiatry school this coming August with out my mcat score and how would this work?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys I didn't too hot on my MCAT but my GPA, ECs, letters of recommendation are pretty good. Can I still apply to podiatry school this coming August with out my mcat score and how would this work?

When are you retaking it?

I plan on retaking it the first session of next year. So retaking it in January.

It sounds like you are planning on withholding your MCAT score from them initially? As in not telling them that you took it and did poorly on it, is that correct? If so, I wouldn't recommend it. They'll find out about it eventually, might as well be up front about it

I'm applying for the 2016-2017 cycle. Do we know the stats that each school is looking for yet?
Does anyone know if these stats are any good:
MCAT: 25
cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.71
Thanks!

I'm applying for the 2016-2017 cycle. Do we know the stats that each school is looking for yet?
Does anyone know if these stats are any good:
MCAT: 25
cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.71
Thanks!
Well above average in both gpas! And a couple points above average on mcat! Stats are fine, worry bout other things. You can always check the "accepted class of 2020 for individual students and for bob'a great work on averages!

schools will receive all MCAT scores. There's no way you can only send one score that you like.

It sounds like you are planning on withholding your MCAT score from them initially? As in not telling them that you took it and did poorly on it, is that correct? If so, I wouldn't recommend it. They'll find out about it eventually, might as well be up front about it

What I mean is can I submit my application this August with the mcat score and how do I let them know I am retaking it?

What I mean is can I submit my application this August with the mcat score and how do I let them know I am retaking it?

You can submit at the beginning of the cycle and resend your updated scores later. You'll have to notify each admissions office by email or phone of your intent to retake. I think there's only one school that won't let you resubmit an MCAT that late in the cycle but I don't remember which one.

Some of them might not be willing to put your application on hold.

You should probably contact each school that you plan on applying to since this kind of thing will vary by school.

You can submit at the beginning of the cycle and resend your updated scores later. You'll have to notify each admissions office by email or phone of your intent to retake. I think there's only one school that won't let you resubmit an MCAT that late in the cycle but I don't remember which one.

Some of them might not be willing to put your application on hold.

You should probably contact each school that you plan on applying to since this kind of thing will vary by school.

Ahh ok thank you.

I know this is a super old thread but hoped someone would still get back to me.

I am a biohealth sciences major looking to apply to podiatry school next year.
My cGPA is around a 3.2 but unfortunately my sGPA is closer to a 2.8. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but I have pretty decent EC's as I have been a scribe for 1000 hours and am a fundraising specialist for my fraternity raising almost $10,000 for suicide prevention over the past two years. I still need to get my shadow hours but I have a little over a year to do that.

Am I in a position to potentially get into a POD school or is it time to change my career path?

Thanks!

My cGPA is around a 3.2 but unfortunately my sGPA is closer to a 2.8. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but I have pretty decent EC's as I have been a scribe for 1000 hours and am a fundraising specialist for my fraternity raising almost $10,000 for suicide prevention over the past two years. I still need to get my shadow hours but I have a little over a year to do that.

Am I in a position to potentially get into a POD school or is it time to change my career path?

Thanks!
You are going to want to have a pretty good MCAT score considering your gpa. I'd begin shadowing to see if you think this is a field that you could even see yourself in, and if it is, then focus on really putting some time in to prepare well for your MCAT. Based off of what I've seen others post on SDN who have gotten interviews/acceptances with comparable stats, I don't think Pod school is out of the question for you. Again, really focus on killing your MCAT and apply as early as you can.

Thanks!

What Justin said.

Not entirely out of scope for you to consider podiatry.

Get shadowing hours in (go for quality to prep for personal statement and interviews, not quantity).

Apply early. Push for 500+ mcat and you'll get interviews.

The scribing looks great.

I apologize if this has already been answered- do we need to have a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist before applying?

I apologize if this has already been answered- do we need to have a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist before applying?
No, you can submit your apps without it. In some cases you may need to submit your pod LOR before you will get interview invites, but even then most schools will probably interview and accept you without it as long as you send one eventually. However, they will probably ask you at the interview about the extent of your experience with podiatry to make sure you're familiar with the field. That's where the pod shadowing experience would usually come in handy.

So, if I were you, I would at least have shadowed a pod before my interviews, although you probably won't have to send the actual letter until some time after your interviews.

Your post history is interesting to say the least.

But if you really are jumping ship, please at least try to do self-research before coming here with questions that could be looked up on Google or previous threads within the Pod forums.

It lets us know you are serious about the profession and not doing it out of panic because you didn't get into Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Hi guys! So I'm going to be applying to podiatry school this August, and am wondering what you think my chances of getting in would be? Also, do they see all your MCAT scores? I've taken it once before...
My most recent score is 493 (like a 20). All my GPA's are 3.2, I have 1000 hours from working, 200 hours of volunteering at the hospital, 200 hours of shadowing doctors, and will be shadowing a podiatrist in August (before submitting the app). Also, I double majored with Biology and Exercise Science and a minor in Chemistry. Thanks!

Hi guys! So I'm going to be applying to podiatry school this August, and am wondering what you think my chances of getting in would be? Also, do they see all your MCAT scores? I've taken it once before...
My most recent score is 493 (like a 20). All my GPA's are 3.2, I have 1000 hours from working, 200 hours of volunteering at the hospital, 200 hours of shadowing doctors, and will be shadowing a podiatrist in August (before submitting the app). Also, I double majored with Biology and Exercise Science and a minor in Chemistry. Thanks!

Please post in Official What Are My Chances Thread.

Unless our quick ninja mods move it over there first.

That being said. GPA is within average- a little less than normal ranges (3.3+ usually).

MCAT you want 500+ for sure fire interviews. If you can retake, I would high recommend it. Was in your boat with nearly the exact same stats. Retaking for however many points you can get could make a hug difference.

Apply early to a schools with large class sizes.

I believe AACPMAS sees all MCAT attempts taken. At this point, upward trend would be a huge booster for your profile. Extracurrics/experience look fantastic with those amount of hours.

Get shadowing as soon as possible. More about learning what podiatry has to offer and how every aspect of the office works, less about amount of hours you can put down on paper.

Last edited:

Compared to my experience applying to pod schools, you have a decent chance.

I have similar gpa and exact mcat score as you, but your ec is better than mine. I managed to get interviews at scholl, nycpm, Dmu, cspm, and Kent state. However, schools might have different standards for the upcoming cycle, so take my words with a grain of salt.

It will be up to you if you want to retake the MCAT. Just make sure you don't get a Lower score.

Get that shadowing experience in and have fun learning about podiatry.

3.39 cGPA, 3.12 sGPA, 26 MCAT, and 497.

EC's are pretty good, I am round about there, going to try to get a POD letter soon.

3.39 cGPA, 3.12 sGPA, 26 MCAT, and 497.

EC's are pretty good, I am round about there, going to try to get a POD letter soon.

Stats are definitely within range of acceptances. the 26/ 497 MCAT is solid to get you in.

Make sure the shadowing goes a long way to prep you for interviews. Get the letter in (some schools will send out interviews even without a letter in and let you send it afterwards) and apply early. Should be no problem getting interviews.

EDIT: Your screen name is interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Stats are definitely within range of acceptances. the 26/ 497 MCAT is solid to get you in.

Make sure the shadowing goes a long way to prep you for interviews. Get the letter in (some schools will send out interviews even without a letter in and let you send it afterwards) and apply early. Should be no problem getting interviews.

EDIT: Your screen name is interesting to say the least.
Thanks! Yeah haha I figured its the best way to stay anonymous

Hello everyone! I'm taking my MCAT on september 10th this year, and I'm looking to apply in the next cycle, so sometime in 2017! Currently, I'm a rising 4th year at UC Davis as a biochemistry and molecular biology major. i have a 3.75 GPA, not sure about what my MCAT will turn out to be, but hoping somewhere 500+. I've done volunteer service trips to Lima; I'm a tutor, and I'm a student research assistant. I'm also a Girl Scouts of USA troop leader. I've also had internships in Singapore at their agri-food lab. Plus, I'm shadowing a podiatrist.

What are my chances to get into podiatry school?

Hello everyone! I'm taking my MCAT on september 10th this year, and I'm looking to apply in the next cycle, so sometime in 2017! Currently, I'm a rising 4th year at UC Davis as a biochemistry and molecular biology major. i have a 3.75 GPA, not sure about what my MCAT will turn out to be, but hoping somewhere 500+. I've done volunteer service trips to Lima; I'm a tutor, and I'm a student research assistant. I'm also a Girl Scouts of USA troop leader. I've also had internships in Singapore at their agri-food lab. Plus, I'm shadowing a podiatrist.

What are my chances to get into podiatry school?
MOVED TO THE OFFICIAL WAMC THREAD

You're doing great and have a good shot at all the schools. Keep working hard. If you preform well on the MCAT you will be offered generous scholarships.