This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is that?

Because unlike our pass/fail boards (for now), the MD/DO residency is dependent heavily on the board scores, the 3-digit numbers (usmle's). So OP may want to do something specific today but once they take med classes, do rotations, and take boards, depending on all these factors, they may change their mind and settle for something else.

So, I'm glad, we as Pods, don't have to worry about these things since we already know what we will be doing and which is why it's imperative for any pre-pod to shadow and know that can work with feet....forever!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Because unlike our pass/fail boards (for now), the MD/DO residency is dependent heavily on the board scores, the 3-digit numbers (usmle's). So OP may want to do something specific today but once they take med classes, do rotations, and take boards, depending on all these factors, they may change your mind and settle for something else.

So, I'm glad, we as Pods, don't have to worry about these things since we already know what we will be doing and which is why it's imperative for any pre-pod to shadow and know that can work with feet....forever!
oh, ok. I thought you meant that once u start podiatry school then most people change their mind once they reach podiatry boards

Because unlike our pass/fail boards (for now), the MD/DO residency is dependent heavily on the board scores, the 3-digit numbers (usmle's). So OP may want to do something specific today but once they take med classes, do rotations, and take boards, depending on all these factors, they may change your mind and settle for something else.

This is one of the biggest things causing me to lean towards Podiatry. I know for sure that i want to do surgery. i find it exciting because i'm a very hands on and active person . the one thinking i can not do is become a family med or something like that and do wellness check ups or go over blood tests on the daily. With DO or Med school my chances of getting into a surgical residciney are pretty much up to chance and not guaranteed. At the same time i'm reading stories all over the internet about how podiatrists dont get the same respect to their MD/DO counterpart and most doctors would refer patients to orthos instead for F&A surgery so i'm not sure what to do anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of the biggest things causing me to lean towards Podiatry. I know for sure that i want to do surgery. i find it exciting because i'm a very hands on and active person . the one thinking i can not do is become a family med or something like that and do wellness check ups or go over blood tests on the daily. With DO or Med school my chances of getting into a surgical residciney are pretty much up to chance and not guaranteed. At the same time i'm reading stories all over the internet about how podiatrists dont get the same respect to their MD/DO counterpart and most doctors would refer patients to orthos instead for F&A surgery so i'm not sure what to do anymore.
Orthos also have to do a 5 year residency and a FA fellow for FA surgery. Pods only need 3 years. If you’re a good FA pod in your area you’ll get the referrals. Besides most orthos want to stick to knees and hips and shoulders. Most don’t want or won’t do ankle because they don’t want to or isn’t their cup of tea (and it’s usually less money). So between all of that I’d say pod chances are still better. And that is disregarding the crazy STEP scores you’ll need to get to do ortho in MD or less likely DO.

General surgery isnt as competitive as everyone says it is. Top tier residency programs are, but plenty of DOs become general surgeons

Oh... I thought you said you wanted to do surgery
just not general surgery. I did shadow two docs and i didnt enjoy it. they both hated it and apparently many gen surg residents end up looking for different residencies. i think it might have been because the doctors i shadowed turned me off from it and encouraged me to do anything but general surgery so i could change my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
General surgery isnt as competitive as everyone says it is. Top tier residency programs are, but plenty of DOs become general surgeons

I was just comparing apples to apples in term s of whose qualified to do foot and ankle. And I’ve had the same experience as the OP with general surgery but yea apples to apples lol

What percentage of DOs get into surgery? like 5%?
If you count general surgery, its actually higher than that. And it would also depend on if those students wanted General Surgery. There are plenty who go into DO school wanting to do primary care. But it sounds like if you go in wanting to do surgery (general surgery) its not that difficult or crazy to do

If you count general surgery, its actually higher than that. And it would also depend on if those students wanted General Surgery. There are plenty who go into DO school wanting to do primary care. But it sounds like if you go in wanting to do surgery (general surgery) its not that difficult or crazy to do
If I know right, there are only 155 General Surgery positions anyways. Out of 6-7k graduates it is about 1-2%.

no i'm still a junior so if i want to start med school straight out of undergrad after my senior year i'd start applying the summer of 2018. i know i have a shot at DO but i'm really interested in surgery and i've heard things like its hard for DO students to get into those sort of residencies.
Apply for some MD, DO and DPM. With a 525 you can get into anywhere if you explain the GPA. GPA doesn't matter when you destroy the MCAT. My cousins both got into MD school with high mcat and low GPA. If a DPM school doesn't give you a full ride walk away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply for some MD, DO and DPM. With a 525 you can get into anywhere if you explain the GPA. GPA doesn't matter when you destroy the MCAT. My cousins both got into MD school with high mcat and low GPA. If a DPM school doesn't give you a full ride walk away.

I sent you a PM. Please get to it when you can =)

Top 25 university
cgpa: 2.8
sgpa: 2.59
MCAT: 501
Postbacc: 3.7 (24 units) (the above gpas includes the postbacc)
200+ hours clinical volunteering, 1 semester of clinical research, shadowed a podiatrist once, other miscellaneous volunteering
What are my chances to recieve an interview/acceptance if I apply in December? If I retake MCAT and score higher will that increase my chances?

dab

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously though what are my chances
Pretty good the earlier you apply. I wouldn’t wait any longer to get everything for your app to increase your chances. Some of the smaller schools fill up by Jan - February. It’s good you did pretty well in your post bac and pretty good Mcat

Top 25 university
200+ hours clinical volunteering, 1 semester of clinical research, shadowed a podiatrist once, other miscellaneous volunteering
What are my chances to recieve an interview/acceptance if I apply in December? If I retake MCAT and score higher will that increase my chances?

dab

MCAT is fine, retake won't help you.

Contact schools you're interested in and ask about their cut offs for sGPA/cGPA.

Some schools may take you based strictly off your post bac. Some schools may filter you out based on your GPAs.

Before August, contact the schools you're interested and ask them before you spend money on applications.

You should get into all based on your post-bac.

MCAT is fine, retake won't help you.

Contact schools you're interested in and ask about their cut offs for sGPA/cGPA.

Some schools may take you based strictly off your post bac. Some schools may filter you out based on your GPAs.

Before August, contact the schools you're interested and ask them before you spend money on applications.

You should get into all based on your post-bac.
Before august...? Im applying now though...

If I know right, there are only 155 General Surgery positions anyways. Out of 6-7k graduates it is about 1-2%.
Yes but of those numbers, you don't know how many tried to do it and couldn't. The general consensus among DO students is that if you want to become a general surgeon it isn't incredibly competitive or difficult

Top 25 university

dab

You might be able to Offset your low gpa's if you gather your app and Takeoff asap.
If they ask about your gpa's, just make up an excuse and flip it and tumble it.

Yes but of those numbers, you don't know how many tried to do it and couldn't. The general consensus among DO students is that if you want to become a general surgeon it isn't incredibly competitive or difficult
There are 7500 DO graduates and 155 residency positions. How is it not competitive?

There are 7500 DO graduates and 155 residency positions. How is it not competitive?
Because you don't know the specialty interests of those DO graduates.... if of those 7500 only 155 try to match general surgery then no its not competitive as everyone who wanted to match would match...

Because you don't know the specialty interests of those DO graduates.... if of those 7500 only 155 try to match general surgery then no its not competitive as everyone who wanted to match would match...
oh, I see your point. I agree. There are statistics for that too. I can look it up.

Before august...? Im applying now though...
Apply now. Wonder why your sGPA is still that low after that good PB?

How many total science credits you have and how many your Post-Bacc had?

Your MCAT score is awesome and PB GPA is great as well. All I would suggest is to apply and see what happens. Really hard to predict. Your cGPA is within the range of most schools, but sGPA might not be.

Have you looked at podiatry schools handbook? It shows ranges for GPA and MCAT for all 9 schools.

Apply now. Wonder why your sGPA is still that low after that good PB?

How many total science credits you have and how many your Post-Bacc had?

Your MCAT score is awesome and PB GPA is great as well. All I would suggest is to apply and see what happens. Really hard to predict. Your cGPA is within the range of most schools, but sGPA might not be.

Have you looked at podiatry schools handbook? It shows ranges for GPA and MCAT for all 9 schools.
Hey, I guess I went to a really hard university which is why my sgpa was really low. I wasnt really as focused either and I was going through some mental health issues which I didnt adress fast enough. I started my postbacc this past summer at the same university and I got a 3.4 (2 classes, both were science). I am taking 3 science courses (anatomy, physics, kinesiology) right now at a CC, and I am 99.9% confident those will be all As. With all said and done, after this semester my postbacc gpa will be 3.7 with 21 units total. I would probably apply in December after this semester ends. I'd really like to go to Western since its like 10 minutes from my house and I wouldnt have to pay for housing. Ive looked at the handbook and it looks like Western accepted someone with a 2.3 science gpa... they probably had like a 30/508+ MCAT though.

Hey, I guess I went to a really hard university which is why my sgpa was really low. I wasnt really as focused either and I was going through some mental health issues which I didnt adress fast enough. I started my postbacc this past summer at the same university and I got a 3.4 (2 classes, both were science). I am taking 3 science courses (anatomy, physics, kinesiology) right now at a CC, and I am 99.9% confident those will be all As. With all said and done, after this semester my postbacc gpa will be 3.7 with 21 units total. I would probably apply in December after this semester ends. I'd really like to go to Western since its like 10 minutes from my house and I wouldnt have to pay for housing. Ive looked at the handbook and it looks like Western accepted someone with a 2.3 science gpa... they probably had like a 30/508+ MCAT though.
Oh, I see. I thought your post-bacc was 1-2 years long.

Some questions:
1. Do you have both Gen Chem courses done with lab?
2. Do you have both Orgo Chemistry courses and lab done?
3. Are you taking Physics II now?
4. Did you take biochemistry?
5. Are all your required prerequisite courses completed with at least "C"?
6. You said you shadowed podiatrist once. How many hours was it? Did you shadow anyone else?

Oh, I see. I thought your post-bacc was 1-2 years long.

Some questions:
1. Do you have both Gen Chem courses done with lab?
2. Do you have both Orgo Chemistry courses and lab done?
3. Are you taking Physics II now?
4. Did you take biochemistry?
5. Are all your required prerequisite courses completed with at least "C"?
6. You said you shadowed podiatrist once. How many hours was it? Did you shadow anyone else?
Yes on 1-5. I only shadowed once last week for about 4 hours, and I have an appointment to shadow again this week, and this is the only podiatrist ive shadowed. He was nice and offered to write me a letter at any point

Yes on 1-5. I only shadowed once last week for about 4 hours, and I have an appointment to shadow again this week, and this is the only podiatrist ive shadowed. He was nice and offered to write me a letter at any point
I would aim for at least 20 hours of shadowing a podiatrist.

Otherwise, if you plan to apply in December when you receive your grades, you can start your app now, upload letters, fill out bio, experiences and coursework sections and have your personal statement ready. PS can take several weeks for sure especially if various people reading and providing feedback for you.

Then once you know your grades, all you do is submit the app and send your transcripts. You can send your transcripts after you submit your app.

Thought all of your post-bac was at university level, not CC.

Might have a harder time.

Last edited:
Some CC are 4-yr so they have upper-division.

even if 2 year, cc coursework is not that significant factor especially in well rounded applicant and with good stats.

My worry is that his MCAT score is only thing that stand out in a positive way so far. His post-bacc so far is only two complete courses unless he completes other 3 by December. Even then it' only 5 courses. In my mind, PB is at least 1-2 years of successful Post-Bacc. He might get interviews, but needs more shadowing and complete his Post-Bacc with A's.

It also depends if he has upward trend during undergard.

My last 2 years were 4.0 and 3.8 GPA respectively. In addition, I have almost 2 years of post-bacc.

The classes at my CC are easier than the university I went to, it's just that I can't really afford to go back to a university. I'd have to take out some private loans to finance it. If that's what it takes, I am open to it.

The classes at my CC are easier than the university I went to, it's just that I can't really afford to go back to a university. I'd have to take out some private loans to finance it. If that's what it takes, I am open to it.
Just do well on your courses at CC. you will be fine.

cgpa: 2.9
sgpa: 2.8
MCAT: 498
Experience: > 1000 hrs research; 100 hours shadowing (40 pod). Published & won an award for research at a conference.
Lots of leadership experience and extracurriculars. Hoping to get into a school on the east coast, but applying everywhere

Experience: > 1000 hrs research; 100 hours shadowing (40 pod). Published & won an award for research at a conference.
Lots of leadership experience and extracurriculars. Hoping to get into a school on the east coast, but applying everywhere
Personally, this is good but however, I only concern about your GPA. I bet you'll be fine but a 3.0 and above is ideal for most podiatry schools. Again, podiatry schools have students accepted with that GPA (also your experiences show that you want to go into podiatry).

I think that you will get interviews at all schools. But, that GPA needs interpretation. Some factors might come into play like:
upward or lower trend what classes you did better or worse, if maybe you have done well on core prerequisites and so on.

You should apply like now. I feel like the longer you wait the less likely they'll be willing to entertain Sub 3.0 GPA's.

I think that you will get interviews at all schools. But, that GPA needs interpretation. Some factors might come into play like:
upward or lower trend what classes you did better or worse, if maybe you have done well on core prerequisites and so on.
I've done well through all my pre-reqs and most other classes. My father and cousin got really sick this past year which is when it fell low. I was wondering if I would have a chance in getting if I explained my situation in my PS?

I've done well through all my pre-reqs and most other classes. My father and cousin got really sick this past year which is when it fell low. I was wondering if I would have a chance in getting if I explained my situation in my PS?
Do you have upward trend?

can you show us your yearly GPA breakdown?

Do you have upward trend?

can you show us your yearly GPA breakdown?
3.4 roughly freshman to junior year. 3.0 junior year fall, 2.0 last semester when my family was sick and I was driving home constantly

I think that downfall trend might be a little problem. Are you taking any courses now?
Yea and I'm getting a 3.75 looks like in all science courses, my senior year. Gonna send in my application once the semester is over to show it was just a hard time in life.

Yea and I'm getting a 3.75 looks like in all science courses, my senior year. Gonna send in my application once the semester is over to show it was just a hard time in life.
That's what I wanted to say.

Will it raise your GPA? or given GPA includes forecasting of this semester?

Hey guys!
So i had posted before and applied last cycle but didn’t get an interview. And took some upper level science classes this past summer and now in fall (because of my low gpa) I’ll end up with having 7 A’s and 1 B from the classes I took. My gpa should be around 2.75 now? And my MCAT is a 495 (I can retake it in Jan/Feb if necessary)

So if I applied mid-December, what do my chances look like? Im not sure if the apps this cycle are down just like they were last cycle?

MCAT is fine, but GPA is still a bit low. Good job on the As though.
Calculate your cumulative and science GPAs and email the programs you are interested in and ask about your chances directly through them.
If they tell you that you have a shot at an interview then apply NOW.