This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
currently pursuing a masters in biological science to bolster my application due to low undergrad gpa because of immaturity and lack of priorities;
overall science gpa:2.9 (including 18 credit hours of all A's in masters program so far and including a 3.6 of last semester of undergrad)
mcat: 499
EC: 500+ hours of working as an emt, 50+hours of shadowing 2 podiatrists, 300+ hours of volunteering at 2 hospitals; and 50+ hours of volunteering at community center helping tutor children of refugee families

My academics were VERY similar to this, I applied early and got in to my first choice DMU with scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I recently applied, but still have to take the MCAT (on May), I heard back for an interview at Scholl and Kent. Do you guys think there's any chance NYCPM and Temple can get back to me before I take the MCAT for an interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Going to apply for 2019 start, and trying to gauge how competitive my application will be. Any input would be great.
undergrad cGPA: 2.82
undergrad sGPA: 2.7
one year master's (MS-Physiology) GPA: 4.0 (38 hours, all graduate level science courses)
This brings both GPAs (cGPA and sGPA) to just over 3.0, if they merge undergrad and graduate GPAs
MCAT: 499
3 years as ED scribe
2.5 years of cardiovascular research - 2 publications, and recently submitted a manuscript as the first author. 6 conference presentations, and over a 15 published abstracts.
Multiple leadership roles, including student-run clinics
~500 hours healthcare volunteering
~100 hours non-healthcare volunteering
~50 hours DPM shadowing

I graduated undergrad in 2014, and my GPA was low because I wasn't focused on my future. Now I'm 26 and very focused, able to maintain a 4.0 GPA and actively volunteer. Really hoping that adcoms will recognize this.

Do you guys think I would be a competitive applicant?
Should I retake the MCAT prior to applying?
Your Mcat score looks solid, the only downfall to your application would be that your Undergrad GPA was a bit low. But you should definitely find a seat at one of the Podiatry schools with you overall application. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to apply for 2019 start, and trying to gauge how competitive my application will be. Any input would be great.
one year master's (MS-Physiology) GPA: 4.0 (38 hours, all graduate level science courses)
This brings both GPAs (cGPA and sGPA) to just over 3.0, if they merge undergrad and graduate GPAs
3 years as ED scribe
2.5 years of cardiovascular research - 2 publications, and recently submitted a manuscript as the first author. 6 conference presentations, and over a 15 published abstracts.
~50 hours DPM shadowing

I graduated undergrad in 2014, and my GPA was low because I wasn't focused on my future. Now I'm 26 and very focused, able to maintain a 4.0 GPA and actively volunteer. Really hoping that adcoms will recognize this.

Which schools are you most interested in attending?

The schools that care alot about their #'s like AZPOD, DMU, and Scholl might automatically cut you out due to undergrand GPA "cutoffs" (although technically there is none I think).

You'll be golden for all other schools. But weird stuff happens in regards to the schools I mentioned above so still apply to them, just don't have any expectations. But you WILL get a spot somewhere.

I reached out to Scholl and Temple admissions counselors, and gave them a rundown of my stats/situation. They said that they will focus on my later grades, and that I would be a competitive applicant. He also said that they view candidates holistically, and don't just focus on transcripts.... That being said, I would imagine that I still have to make it past the initial screening/ do DPM schools screen applicants?

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, I want to be realistic about my chances.

I reached out to Scholl and Temple admissions counselors, and gave them a rundown of my stats/situation. They said that they will focus on my later grades, and that I would be a competitive applicant. He also said that they view candidates holistically, and don't just focus on transcripts.... That being said, I would imagine that I still have to make it past the initial screening/ do DPM schools screen applicants?

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, I want to be realistic about my chances.
You're fine.

If they auto screen, they take into account undergrad and graduate school GPA.

Your graduate program was a hard science with a 4.0. They will overlook anything before that for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
3 years as ED scribe
~50 hours DPM shadowing

You are fine, apply

You're fine.

If they auto screen, they take into account undergrad and graduate school GPA.

Your graduate program was a hard science with a 4.0. They will overlook anything before that for sure.

What about scholarships? It seems like quite a few podiatry students on SDN talk about receiving pretty large scholarships. Is this common? Would someone my stats likely qualify?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about scholarships? It seems like quite a few podiatry students on SDN talk about receiving pretty large scholarships. Is this common? Would someone my stats likely qualify?

From what I have seen, as long as you interview well then you have a chance for some scholarships. I've heard that Kent, Barry, and Scholls are most likely to extend scholarships.

You should receive some $$$ from Scholl. Prepare well for the interview. GL.

MCAT is solid, no need to retake.

Your academics after the one year masters is impressive, will neutralize most of the damage done by a bad undergrad (bad grades never go away).

Solid volunteer numbers.

Solid medical experience shows you know what you are getting into.

I would say you are good to go. Some pod school will take a chance on you, even more picky schools like AZPOD and DMU. You’ll want to prepare for the interview though, as they will prolly grill you about academic performance (like they did me).

You are not a “shoe in” for AZPOD and DMU, but you have a very reasonable shot. Especially so at AZPOD, and they just announced 100% residency placement and board pass rates. AZPOD loves a underdog story, like I was. Congrats on the MS GPA.

3 years as ED scribe
~50 hours DPM shadowing

Your academics after the one year masters is impressive, will neutralize most of the damage done by a bad undergrad (bad grades never go away).

Solid volunteer numbers.

Solid medical experience shows you know what you are getting into.

I would say you are good to go. Some pod school will take a chance on you, even more picky schools like AZPOD and DMU. You’ll want to prepare for the interview though, as they will prolly grill you about academic performance (like they did me).

You are not a “shoe in” for AZPOD and DMU, but you have a very reasonable shot. Especially so at AZPOD, and they just announced 100% residency placement and board pass rates. AZPOD loves a underdog story, like I was. Congrats on the MS GPA.

NYCPM also had a 100% match rate and part II of boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it safe to say that if you have a 3.0 science and cum and a 500 mcat you are good for most pod schools?

Is it safe to say that if you have a 3.0 science and cum and a 500 mcat you are good for most pod schools?
Yes that is safe to say, maybe not a shoein at AZPOD or DMU. But you would probably receive interview invites to all schools.

Reactions: 1 users
A 3.0+ and a 490+ will get you into a pod school if you aren’t picky. At the end of the training, everyone is gonna be a DPM, so it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. I wonder if in the next 5 years this will be the case, as I could see stats increasing as the public becomes more aware of what a pod actually does.

If you are gunning for AZPOD or DMU, which are in my opinion the two best schools (DO Med school integration, great facilities, good rotations) you need to bring something else to the table. For most that’s a great mcat (500+) for some that’s a great GPA (3.6+) or great ECs.

Your academics after the one year masters is impressive, will neutralize most of the damage done by a bad undergrad (bad grades never go away)......

If I wanted to be a "shoe in" at top schools like DMU or AZPOD, what would you recommend? I was already planning to retake the MCAT in June, should I stick to that plan?

When I applied, AZPODs mcat average was around 502, so and mcat retake might be a good idea. AZPOD also really likes service to the community, so make sure you work with people who need help, like soup kitchen and the like.

DMU I’m not too sure. When I interviewed, they seemed to have more of a focus on numbers.

If I wanted to be a "shoe in" at top schools like DMU or AZPOD, what would you recommend? I was already planning to retake the MCAT in June, should I stick to that plan?

I think you are a good applicant. Why not apply now?

499 + 4.0 hard science masters.

Would advise against a retake unless you know 100% you can get a 503+

And even if you hit a 501-502, that is a 2-3 point different. You have already outweighed it with a spectacular graduate GPA.

does anyone think pod stats for admission will increase in a couple of year?

I obviously don't know 100% about getting a 503+, but I'm fresh out of a physiology master's, and have been studying for about a month and feel good about it so far.

Also, do you guys have any insight about how graduate GPAs are viewed by DPM adcoms?

If the grad work is in a science related field (like yours) then its good, otherwise, its back to undergrad gpas.

I applied to Barry, Temple, NYCPM.. interviews for all three within hours of being verified. I really want to get into NYCPM, what are the chances of getting considering the interview went well? My application wasn’t even all that great, so I’m surprised honestly.

Apps are way down this year (my money is on the recent expansion of post bacc programs for DO schools). Now is the time to get into a pod school if there ever was one, because when the failed post bacc students come looking for a backup, they’ll come looking for pod.

I applied to Barry, Temple, NYCPM.. interviews for all three within hours of being verified. I really want to get into NYCPM, what are the chances of getting considering the interview went well? My application wasn’t even all that great, so I’m surprised honestly.

Will be graduating May 2018 and plan to apply next cycle (still have to take Organic Chemistry 2 and for personal reasons). If i apply early next cycle do I have a Chance?
GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.61
MCAT: 486
200+ hours of volunteer work for physically disabled children (horseback therapy)
Strong LOR from my professors
-Still have to get Podiatry Shadowing and a LOR

I want to go to Barry or Scholl preferably. Do I have a good chance at those schools even if I don't retake the MCAT?

Will be graduating May 2018 and plan to apply next cycle (still have to take Organic Chemistry 2 and for personal reasons). If i apply early next cycle do I have a Chance?
GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.61
MCAT: 486
200+ hours of volunteer work for physically disabled children (horseback therapy)
Strong LOR from my professors
-Still have to get Podiatry Shadowing and a LOR

I want to go to Barry or Scholl preferably. Do I have a good chance at those schools even if I don't retake the MCAT?
Yes, you have a chance early in the cycle with the GPA.

But for wider acceptance and better scholarships I would advise to retake MCAT and aim at 495+.

You will have time to study after May until September.

Top 30 University, sGPA 3.87, cGPA 3.86 MCAT (best one) 491
Non traditional
Unique EC's + Healthcare experience

Thoughts?

You can get anywhere with that GPA maybe even Some DO schools
Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think DO is feasible, but I'm pretty excited about this POD process. Need to shadow a DPM, like ASAP. Only have MD and DO shadowing (~200 hours at a big Hospital)

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think DO is feasible, but I'm pretty excited about this POD process. Need to shadow a DPM, like ASAP. Only have MD and DO shadowing (~200 hours at a big Hospital)
If you could bring MCAT to 495-500, you definitely could, but it depends on a lot of other factors. But if you look at yearly data of accepted students, you will find that hundreds of students with MCAT lower than 500 were accepted.

Last edited:
Eh, Idk about 495. The lowest I have seen someone get into a DO school without Military or URM is 497/498. Lets say 500 because its the 2nd time taking it. Still totally doable, but we are talking about a 8-10 point increase. What if the next MCAT is a fluke? I can see why people decide to take the almost for sure acceptance to pod school.

Tho s/he's GPA is high, might offset a 498.

If you could bring MCAT to 495-500, you definitely could, but it depends on a lot of other factors. But if you look at yearly data of accepted students, you will find that hundreds of students with MCAT lower than 500 were accepted.

Good for all except maybe AZPOD, but that GPA is going to be hard for them to turn away. I say go for all schools and see what happens.

And get that Pod letter!

Top 30 University, sGPA 3.87, cGPA 3.86 MCAT (best one) 491
Non traditional
Unique EC's + Healthcare experience

Thoughts?

You can get anywhere with that GPA maybe even Some DO schools
Why even say that he could get into DO when they are clearly on Pre-pod site? I don't know why people say this all the time. I would 100% be a pod over a family/general DO. Comments like that kill this field because it is saying "you're a better candidate and DO/MD are better" when that isn't true. I know plenty of family Docs who would have gone DPM if they would have known that it was a different school. Don't sell this career short. It's better than that

Reactions: 4 users
It’s an opinion. You can’t say an opinion is false. If you have an opinion it doesn’t make someone’s differing opinion false; just different
That is fair, I am just pro this professional and hate to see people discourage interested candidates from decided to apply to different programs

Reactions: 2 users
That is fair, I am just pro this professional and hate to see people discourage interested candidates from decided to apply to different programs
Ive said that to pasha before but he always suggests it anyways lol. I feel the exact same way about not making pod the “3rd choice”. Should def be kept separate. Anyone applying to podiatry definitely knows what it’s about considering the lack of info on it.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 3.18 cGPA, 2.64 sGPA, 3.22 masters GPA, and 502 MCAT . Everything else (shadowing/extracurriculars/recs) is good.

I have a 3.18 cGPA, 2.64 sGPA, 3.22 masters GPA, and 502 MCAT . Everything else (shadowing/extracurriculars/recs) is good.
What was the Masters degree in?
Did you graduate? How long was it?

MCAT is good, cGPA is ok, but sGPA is pretty low. Is there any chance to raise it to around 2.8-3.0?

What was the Masters degree in?
Did you graduate? How long was it?

MCAT is good, cGPA is ok, but sGPA is pretty low. Is there any chance to raise it to around 2.8-3.0?

The masters is in biomedical sciences, its a two yr program, I've completed one (by the end of this semester.)

The masters is in biomedical sciences, its a two yr program, I've completed one (by the end of this semester.)
I agree with Weirdy. If its 2 years in Biomedical Sciences and you have 3.2 with 502 MCAT, you have a good chance.

So Just had my interview with NYCPM, I set it as my first interview. I got an invite about 2 hours after I was verified. I went and it went well I believe and I do like the school, I hope I get in.
cgpa: 3.3
sgpa: 3.0
MCAT- 494, I know...

Pod experience with a director of the VA residency program at his practice, VA shadowing of residents also, palliative care volunteer, and other ECs, and research.

What should I expect? don’t really care for the scholarship, prob wont get one, but I really just want to get in.

So Just had my interview with NYCPM, I set it as my first interview. I got an invite about 2 hours after I was verified. I went and it went well I believe and I do like the school, I hope I get in.
MCAT- 494, I know...

Pod experience with a director of the VA residency program at his practice, VA shadowing of residents also, palliative care volunteer, and other ECs, and research.

What should I expect? don’t really care for the scholarship, prob wont get one, but I really just want to get in.

Based on the accepted class of 2022 thread, your stats are probably good enough for NYCPM. I think that once you get an interview, it's not really about your grades but more about you as a person and how you can fit with them. Good luck! Keep us posted

MCAT- 494, I know...

You should be fine.

MCAT- 494, I know...

Hey! I have an interview at NYCPM next week! any tips?

Applying for the Fall of 2019. What are my chances?

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
*cGPA- 3.67 ( out of a 4.0 scale)
*sGPA (major)- 3.71
*sGPA (minor)- 3.33
*MCAT- 494 (as of right now but still havent taken it yet so could get higher)
*Great LOR
*Currently over 200+ hours of shadowing and counting
*Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)