This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea i got Ds the first go. :(
If I put 2 Ds then I get 2.61 total for all science courses. If I set one as D+ then it is 2.63 sGPA.

If you add another 3 courses (10 credits) with As, it will raise it up to 2.84

If you add another 10 credits with As on top of that, then you will get 3.00 sGPA

This is just 2 part time semesters.

Like others have mentioned, you could still apply as it is since your MCAT score is good, but you probably will be best applying for the new cycle which starts this August.

You could get interviews this cycle as well from some schools like Barry and Kent.

Reactions: 2 users
If I put 2 Ds then I get 2.61 total for all science courses. If I set one as D+ then it is 2.63 sGPA.

If you add another 3 courses (10 credits) with As, it will raise it up to 2.84

If you add another 10 credits with As on top of that, then you will get 3.00 sGPA

This is just 2 part time semesters.

Like others have mentioned, you could still apply as it is since your MCAT score is good, but you probably will be best applying for the new cycle which starts this August.

You could get interviews this cycle as well from some schools like Barry and Kent.

Thank You Pasha!! for your effort!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i got Ds the first go. :(
Let me honestly add something. I am not trying to bring you down or anything. If you plan to go to medicine, you really need to analyze your study habits and strategies. You need to get better. You have only 1 A in undergrad science courses.

Also, you got C+ in Gen Chem after taking it with D. Anyone would expect you to get at least B+ or A- for the second try.

Hey Everyone, i'am so nervous need guidance.

what are my chances???

cumulative GPA: 2.97
science GPA: 2.63
MCAT: 501

40 hrs DPM shadowing.

tons of non-medical community service hours.

Am i totally Screwed??? what should i do???
Are you applying for this cycle or next cycle in August? Your MCAT is above average for some school but GPA is pretty low. If you apply early in the next cycle, you may get some II. Be sure to check GPA cut offs for schools before applying. I don't know much, that's just my advice/opinion. Good luck!!

MCAT is fine. Science GPA is too low. If you apply to all 9 schools then you might get an II from one of them.

The real issue will be passing classes during Pod school.
You have two options as of now: apply and if you get a seat then go all in and try to stay in school.
The second option is to take few high-level science courses at the undergrad level then apply for next year to begin in Summer 2019. I mean classes like biochemistry, A&P, cell molecular bio, etc. Doing well in these courses will raise that science GPA and you will be better prepared to tackle medical school courses.

Thank You Pasha!! for your effort!

Let me honestly add something. I am not trying to bring you down or anything. If you plan to go to medicine, you really need to analyze your study habits and strategies. You need to get better. You have only 1 A in undergrad science courses.

Also, you got C+ in Gen Chem after taking it with D. Anyone would expect you to get at least B+ or A- for the second try.

What Pasha and Dexter have emphasized are spot on.

We know you can get in with that MCAT even if GPA is low.
But we want you to stay in.

I went in with a 2.87 sGPA.
I struggled 1st semester and it kicked my ass. 2nd semester is much better but my GPA tanked because of that 1st semester.

Set yourself up for success. Be patient. Take that extra year and take 9 credits of upper level science every semester.
You don't even have to get As, just get Bs and prove to adcom you can at least pass everything with a B.

Take that time to live a bit and do as many fun things as you can as well, because once school starts you will be grinding nonstop.

You will get in. Finishing will be an uphill battle.

Coming from someone who didn't think they'd make it past 1st semester, it is possible.

How much harder would you say pod school is than undergrad? 3X? How many hours do you usually study/day?

I struggled 1st semester and it kicked my ass. 2nd semester is much better but my GPA tanked because of that 1st semester.

Set yourself up for success. Be patient. Take that extra year and take 9 credits of upper level science every semester.
You don't even have to get As, just get Bs and prove to adcom you can at least pass everything with a B.

Take that time to live a bit and do as many fun things as you can as well, because once school starts you will be grinding nonstop.

Coming from someone who didn't think they'd make it past 1st semester, it is possible.

How much harder would you say pod school is than undergrad? 3X? How many hours do you usually study/day?
Its actually just as hard as undergrad.

There are a few concepts that were completely foreign to me, but in terms of difficulty understanding, really not that much harder.

The difference is the amount of material. You get 5x the material in one lecture, all science related and clinically relevant.

Days will differ. School from 8 - 5pm. Dinner with wife. Library 7-10pm. Go home sleep repeat.

Some days you won't start til 10am. Some days you end by lunch. The grade you want determines how much you study. I try to squeeze in an hour here and there.

Right before exams Friday-Sunday you're at the library 8am-11pm or when they kick you out, no rules when it comes to exam time.

Reactions: 1 user
How are exams? 3rd order questions or more 1st remember and recall? Reading up on Boards it seems like most are 2nd and 1st order questions.

Its actually just as hard as undergrad.

There are a few concepts that were completely foreign to me, but in terms of difficulty understanding, really not that much harder.

The difference is the amount of material. You get 5x the material in one lecture, all science related and clinically relevant.

Days will differ. School from 8 - 5pm. Dinner with wife. Library 7-10pm. Go home sleep repeat.

Some days you won't start til 10am. Some days you end by lunch. The grade you want determines how much you study. I try to squeeze in an hour here and there.

Right before exams Friday-Sunday you're at the library 8am-11pm or when they kick you out, no rules when it comes to exam time.

How are exams? 3rd order questions or more 1st remember and recall? Reading up on Boards it seems like most are 2nd and 1st order questions.
1st and 2nd.

There are a few with "Given xyz scenario, answer the following."

This may vary across programs. Some courses have more 3rd order questions than others.

I think all of you all's concern is 110% legit when it comes to staying in pod school. But all of my Cs that i got were in my earlier years and most recently i've been doing whole lot better. there is a huge upward trend. so i have a some degree of confidence that i can get through pod school. im also a married man now so there is a whole new motivation factor for me.

Thank you all for helping me. Much appreciated!

I think all of you all's concern is 110% legit when it comes to staying in pod school. But all of my Cs that i got were in my earlier years and most recently i've been doing whole lot better. there is a huge upward trend. so i have a some degree of confidence that i can get through pod school. im also a married man now so there is a whole new motivation factor for me.

Thank you all for helping me. Much appreciated!
Nice.

Schools take upward trends into account.

If you had mentioned all of this from the start, we would have been less concerned.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Need some advice on next steps, I'm planning on applying to schools for summer 2019 start as a career changer. I'll be 31 when I (hopefully start) having been teaching science for the past 6 years. my cGPA is a 3.0 and sGPA a 3.2 with the last 40 hours (incl. about 20 of upper level sciences). my ugrad finished in 2010 and I did a postbacc in teaching that I finished in 2012. to show I was still competitive I took a bunch of upper level courses and got A's in all of them over the past 12 or so months. Test taking is a general strength of mine, so I know with proper preparation I can do well on the MCAT (taking in sept, aiming for a 510+). Other than shadowing a Pod, which I plan to do over the summer during the school break, what else can/should I be doing to show schools that I am dedicated to podiatry as a career, and what shot would I honestly have at getting in? I'm married and living in NYC so NYCPM would be ideal, but I'd be willing to go anywhere.

Need some advice on next steps, I'm planning on applying to schools for summer 2019 start as a career changer. I'll be 31 when I (hopefully start) having been teaching science for the past 6 years. my cGPA is a 3.0 and sGPA a 3.2 with the last 40 hours (incl. about 20 of upper level sciences). my ugrad finished in 2010 and I did a postbacc in teaching that I finished in 2012. to show I was still competitive I took a bunch of upper level courses and got A's in all of them over the past 12 or so months. Test taking is a general strength of mine, so I know with proper preparation I can do well on the MCAT (taking in sept, aiming for a 510+). Other than shadowing a Pod, which I plan to do over the summer during the school break, what else can/should I be doing to show schools that I am dedicated to podiatry as a career, and what shot would I honestly have at getting in? I'm married and living in NYC so NYCPM would be ideal, but I'd be willing to go anywhere.

An MCAT score close to 500 should give that II from NYCPM. Shadow as much as you can while studying (doing well on the MCAT is key).

You should apply for their Jan 2019 program because you have not been in school for a while (Full-time), so you take fewer classes but still graduate with the rest of your classmates (2023).

Nice job in the postbacc courses. GL!

An MCAT score close to 500 should give that II from NYCPM. Shadow as much as you can while studying (doing well on the MCAT is key).

You should apply for their Jan 2019 program because you have not been in school for a while (Full-time), so you take fewer classes but still graduate with the rest of your classmates (2023).

Nice job in the postbacc courses. GL!

I should look a lot more into the January option, hadn't really thought about it, thanks!

Just wanted to gauge my chances for application.
cumulative GPA: 3.4
science GPA: 3.38
MCAT: 491 (Retaking later this year)

Working as a research assistant in an academic hospital with expousure to pod related conditions.
Did a year of pharmacy school and left on good academic standing with a 3.1 gpa

Working as a research assistant in an academic hospital with expousure to pod related conditions.

Stats are fine.

Why the change from Pharmacy to Podiatry?

Stats are fine.

Why the change from Pharmacy to Podiatry?

For me it was mostly that pharmacy wasn't a good fit for me. There's a long list of reasons but my personal ones were:
1. Job Market being saturated to the extreme.
2. Academia teaching a lot of fluff classes that won't really make you a good provider.
3. The pharmacy profession trying to move toward a weird mid-level provider role but they are way behind PA's and NP,s that already dominate that niche.
4. The particular program I was in wasn't a good fit for me. Just a lot of disorganization and baby sitting for a professional/grad level program.

Anyone know if this is competitive for AZPod. That is my #1 preference for now.

Anyone know if this is competitive for AZPod. That is my #1 preference for now.
I’m unsure but to give you something I had approximately 3.9 GPA both science and non science and 493 MCAT and was accepted to AZPod

All reasons are why not Pharmacy.

Why podiatry?

My interest in podiatry appeared due to my current job were I am exposed a lot of standard podiatric problems such as diabetic foot infection, wound care, gangrene, ankle fractures and I grew more and more interested until I started research the career options to work with those conditions and discovered podiatry fit all of the above.

I do work in an orthopedic unit in a hospital were they receive a lot of those cases and have podiatrist on staff. I know its not representative of the whole profession and I am shadowing outside podiatrist to see a more complete spectrum of daily practice. So far I've really liked what I see.

My interest in podiatry appeared due to my current job were I am exposed a lot of standard podiatric problems such as diabetic foot infection, wound care, gangrene, ankle fractures and I grew more and more interested until I started research the career options to work with those conditions and discovered podiatry fit all of the above.

I do work in an orthopedic unit in a hospital were they receive a lot of those cases and have podiatrist on staff. I know its not representative of the whole profession and I am shadowing outside podiatrist to see a more complete spectrum of daily practice. So far I've really liked what I see.

Email someone at AzPod and ask about your chances. If you get everything in within the next two weeks, you might be able to start this Fall..if that is your goal.

Good for all except maybe AZPOD, but that GPA is going to be hard for them to turn away. I say go for all schools and see what happens.

And get that Pod letter!
Accepted at AZPOD and will be attending :) Thanks everyone.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, I'm a junior majoring in biology and minoring in Psychology.

cGPA: 3.24
sGPA: 3.07
MCAT: 495
ECs: BIO TA, independent research (thesis defense in May 2019), involved in music, have volunteered at the hospital, currently volunteer as a refugee tutor, currently work in the Emergency Department
Shadowing: have shadowed 55 hours ~2 years ago and will be shadowing this summer

I'm ideally hoping to apply this coming August, and any insight would be very much appreciated. California/Arizona is the goal, though I know my stats are low for Arizona. Is there anything more that is good to do before applying?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm a junior majoring in biology and minoring in Psychology.

cGPA: 3.24
sGPA: 3.07
MCAT: 495
ECs: BIO TA, independent research (thesis defense in May 2019), involved in music, have volunteered at the hospital, currently volunteer as a refugee tutor, currently work in the Emergency Department
Shadowing: have shadowed 55 hours ~2 years ago and will be shadowing this summer

I'm ideally hoping to apply this coming August, and any insight would be very much appreciated. California/Arizona is the goal, though I know my stats are low for Arizona. Is there anything more that is good to do before applying?

Thank you!

You're fine.

Hi everyone!
overall GPA: 3.3
science GPA: 2.9 (i'm not sure if I can include my neuroscience courses taken in the psych department here because they were all really biology heavy, but if i can gpa would be a 3.1, pls let me know if that's possible)
MCAT: 504
ECS: 100 hours medical volunteering, 3 labs as a research assistant, 1000 hours as a medical scribe, choreographer for a hip hop group, play piano and violin, I have no shadowed a podiatrist yet but trying to find one soon so I can apply this cycle

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
overall GPA: 3.3
science GPA: 2.9 (i'm not sure if I can include my neuroscience courses taken in the psych department here because they were all really biology heavy, but if i can gpa would be a 3.1, pls let me know if that's possible)
MCAT: 504
ECS: 100 hours medical volunteering, 3 labs as a research assistant, 1000 hours as a medical scribe, choreographer for a hip hop group, play piano and violin, I have no shadowed a PO yet but trying to find one soon so I can apply this cycle
With that high of an MCAT, you should get several Interview Invites

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Accepted into the only school I applied to!

Non-trad student
3.8 undergrad
4.0+ in grad school
3.9 science gpa (second undergrad)
494 mcat

Pm me any questions and best of luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted into the only school I applied to!

Non-trad student
3.8 undergrad
4.0+ in grad school
3.9 science gpa (second undergrad)
494 mcat

Pm me any questions and best of luck!!
Congrats on your acceptance! Which school did you get accepted to?

Applying for the Fall of 2019. What are my chances?

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
*cGPA- 3.67 ( out of a 4.0 scale)
*sGPA (major)- 3.71
*sGPA (minor)- 3.33
*MCAT- I took the MCAT twice. My first time I scored a 485 (yes I know, not great) the second time a 492 (yes I know, not great either)
*Great LORs
*Currently over 200+ hours of shadowing and counting
*Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)
*Great job during gap year that gives me direct patient contact hours every day

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
*sGPA (major)- 3.71
*sGPA (minor)- 3.33
*MCAT- I took the MCAT twice. My first time I scored a 485 (yes I know, not great) the second time a 492 (yes I know, not great either)
*Great LORs
*Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)

You're fine. Get a rec letter from a pod and apply soon as cycle opens in August.

Next time take a look at the pinned posts and post in the WAMC thread.

*sGPA (major)- 3.71
*sGPA (minor)- 3.33
*Great LORs
You have good chances.

You will be ok with a solid interview. Just make sure you research any schools you will be visiting prior to the interview. I think as long as you're able to communicate why you want to attend their school and how you will make a good fit there, you will be fine getting acceptance. Best of luck!

You'll do fine. I have known people who applied for multiple schools with a REALLY LOW MCAT (488 for one) and still got interviews. Just be prepared of "why podiatry" and make sure this is your career choice. They really want to make sure if your choice for podiatry is true

Applying for the fall of 2019 (early October)

I'm about to enter my fourth year of being a biology major.

• cGPA- 3.86 (out of a 4.0 scale)

• sGPA - ~3.83

• MCAT - I'm currently studying for the MCAT, hoping to take it in late August which would allow me to apply in early October. I'm hoping for a ~500, but who knows.

• I'll be able to get a few LORs

• I have ~200 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospital, ~250 hours of volunteering in a community setting, ~40 hours of shadowing an MD (which got me interested in podiatry in the first place), . I am currently contacting a DPM to shadow him.
Those are great stats! If you get a 500+, on the Mcat then you are definitely a shoe in for any Pod School.

Those are great stats! If you get a 500+, on the Mcat then you are definitely a shoe in for any Pod School.

Thanks! :D My only worry is that I'm not that great with standardized tests. What do you think is the lowest MCAT score I could get and still have a chance to be admitted at a pod school?

Thanks! :D My only worry is that I'm not that great with standardized tests. What do you think is the lowest MCAT score I could get and still have a chance to be admitted at a pod school?
The lowest that I have ever heard of is a 476... But typically if you are 490+ you should get in

The lowest that I have ever heard of is a 476... But typically if you are 490+ you should get in

Thanks so much for the help. Last week I took a full length practice test and I guessed on a lot of questions, but still got a 493. Hopefully I can bump that up in the next few months of study!

Even if you get 490-495, you will get interviews. The rest is up to you.

Awesome. Is there any way to prepare for interviews? Do you know what they might ask?
Yes I know. Best resource is SDN feedback. Access it by going to SDN resources at the top.

It has 90% of the questions that I was asked. You can see what people said about their interview experience at each particular school.

Best tip: be yourself, relax and have an enjoyable conversation. That's exactly what I did. I have enjoyed it. I am sure my interviewers also enjoyed talking to me.

Have some good questions ready.

Be ready to answer hard questions. Sometimes you will not have an answer, make sure you react adequately. Sometimes people start mumbling and it is even worse.

Last edited:
Yes I know. Best resource is SDN feedback. Access it by going to SDN resources at the top.

It has 90% of the questions that I was asked. You can see what people said about their interview experience at each particular school.

Best tip: be yourself, relax and have an enjoyable conversation. That's exactly what I did. I have enjoyed it. I am sure my interviewers also enjoyed talking to me.

Have some good questions ready.

Be ready to answer hard questions. Sometimes you will not have an answer, make sure you react adequately. Sometimes people start mumbling and it is even worse.
Thanks!

Hi I have a question about grades. So I received a C- first quarter physics my sophomore year. Are podiatry schools picky about retaking classes? Otherwise I have a 3.3 gpa and 504 mcat

Hi I have a question about grades. So I received a C- first quarter physics my sophomore year. Are podiatry schools picky about retaking classes? Otherwise I have a 3.3 gpa and 504 mcat

i think you will be fine!

I would contact schools about that. From my experience they are picky about the requirements.

I have 7 credits of Organic chemistry and 3 credits of Biochemistry and 1 school said that I will have to take another organic chemistry to meet 8 credits requirement. I tried to explain that many schools can take Biochemistry in place of Organic Chemistry, but they did not want to accept it even though I had 7 out of 8 credits and biochem. So, yes, some schools are picky.

Make sure you ask them. You can call or email them about that.

You can definitely apply and even get accepted without 1 or couple of required courses, but they might make you take them before you matriculate.

Last edited: