1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

***Official Pre-Pod What Are My Chances Thread***

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by TXDO, Jan 22, 2009.

1. helpmehelp

Pre-Medical
    The masters is in biomedical sciences, its a two yr program, I've completed one (by the end of this semester.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Keep the Masters above 3.0 and you'll get acceptances.

MCAT is great.

Shadow and get rec letter from pods. Make sure this is what you want to do.

PashaOdesit likes this.
  4. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Podiatry Student
    I agree with Weirdy. If its 2 years in Biomedical Sciences and you have 3.2 with 502 MCAT, you have a good chance.

Keatbaby likes this.
  5. xXpikapikaXx

Pre-Podiatry
    So Just had my interview with NYCPM, I set it as my first interview. I got an invite about 2 hours after I was verified. I went and it went well I believe and I do like the school, I hope I get in.
    cgpa: 3.3
    sgpa: 3.0
    MCAT- 494, I know...

Pod experience with a director of the VA residency program at his practice, VA shadowing of residents also, palliative care volunteer, and other ECs, and research.

What should I expect? don’t really care for the scholarship, prob wont get one, but I really just want to get in.

6. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    Based on the accepted class of 2022 thread, your stats are probably good enough for NYCPM. I think that once you get an interview, it's not really about your grades but more about you as a person and how you can fit with them. Good luck! Keep us posted

Keatbaby likes this.
  7. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You should be fine.

8. helpmehelp

Pre-Medical
    Hey! I have an interview at NYCPM next week! any tips?

9. grossmed198

Pre-Medical
    Applying for the Fall of 2019. What are my chances?

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
    *cGPA- 3.67 ( out of a 4.0 scale)
    *sGPA (major)- 3.71
    *sGPA (minor)- 3.33
    *MCAT- 494 (as of right now but still havent taken it yet so could get higher)
    *Great LOR
    *Currently over 200+ hours of shadowing and counting
    *Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)

PashaOdesit likes this.
  10. grossmed198

Pre-Medical
    Applying for the Fall of 2019. What are my chances?

Live in NY and graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a minor in chemistry.
    *cGPA- 3.67 ( out of a 4.0 scale)
    *sGPA (major)- 3.71
    *sGPA (minor)- 3.33
    *MCAT- 494 (as of right now but still havent taken it yet so could get higher)
    *Great LOR
    *Currently over 200+ hours of shadowing and counting
    *Great extracurriculars (was president of multiple honor societies and did 4 years of my own research)

Keatbaby likes this.
  11. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Accepted, even if you apply now.

GypsyHummus and Keatbaby like this.
  12. grossmed198

Pre-Medical
    Really? What about for NYCPM? Do you think I have a good shot to appy for Spring of 2018? Or is applying for spring harder than applying for fall?

13. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You should be fine for NYCPM to begin classes in Aug 2018, if everything else in your app is complete.

Keatbaby likes this.
  14. BallisLife08

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello All,

Posted this in the pre-med thread but would appreciate pre-pod's thoughts too.

Asking for a friend who is a 4th year senior in undergraduate, psychology major with a 2.3 overall GPA with 1.89 science GPA (1.64 if you include repeat courses taken) and 2.50 non-science GPA. Reasons for poor grades: too much partying, not caring as much or passively learning, cramming for exams, etc. She took the MCAT this past summer and scored a 493. She is non-URM.

Med school is out of the question but she is still interested in a healthcare profession.
    What options does she have? She is interested in podiatry, nursing, or basically any healthcare profession with some sort of job security.

She is not declaring for graduating and planning on retaking the science courses she did poorly in maybe for another year. What career options are available to her regarding her GPA? What steps would she need to take? Her advisor already said post-bach programs wont really help much. She called a bunch of podiatry schools that said to retake the science courses and do well in them. Assuming she aces those classes is it realistic to assume she'd have a chance at podiatry school?

If healthcare is completely out of the question, which I anticipate would be the case (if it's not already) where she starts re-taking the courses and still is unable to do well. In that case, what other careers can one go into? There are other underlying issues that need to be addressed such as studying habits, time management, etc but assuming those are fixed, what can she do?

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

15. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Ask your friend to make an account and ask these questions. Taking up responsibility for our own actions should start early.

Anyways..she should: re-take all the Pre-med classes that she has a B or less and ace them. In addition, she should take classes like biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, and cellular biology (would help on mcat and also prepare her for pod school).

Granted a score of 493 might be fine for a Pod program, taking the MCAT again would open other doors, so I think she should take the MCAT again (after finishing the pre-med courses).

Realistically speaking, with her current GPAs, her best shot might be a nursing program, but even here, if she gets accepted, there is no guarantee she would make it out based on her science GPA.

#3264 DexterMorganSK, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Weirdy and PashaOdesit like this.
  16. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I agree with Dexter, but I wouldn't retake classes with B or above. If you have exhausted all the option of courses with Cs and below, then you would move to courses with Bs if needed.

What if you are not ready to ace classes and retake a course and get B again or even worse grade. That wouldn't be good.

I would start with taking easier courses and see what I need to do to improve my studying habits and then take harder courses.

I would take MCAT only after you take or retake most core science prerequisites.

17. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Why would you take MCAT with such low GPA? There was no point for that.

I would suggest to do a postbacc for sure. There are no other options anyways if you want to go to any healthcare program. It doesn't have to be formal PB program. You can start at local community college or state university and see how it is for you.

I would suggest to start retaking easier science courses and the one with C- or below. Then, if you have done with them you can start retaking courses with Cs.

I have a psychology minor. I can't imagine what you need to do to get 2.3 in Psychology. They are considered low-medium weight.

Nevertheless, you will have to take science courses for about 2 years to retake and bring your cGPA and sGPA closer to 3.0

What about your status in terms of volunteering hours, shadowing and such?

About healthcare paths:

I do not think that you will be able to get into any bachelor of nursing programs with your stats. Nursing is competitive too. Most applicants, if not all, have GPAs in 3.0-3.8 range. Maybe some rural community college will take you, but from what I know even rural colleges have applicants from all over the state.

When my sister started her Associate of Nursing at rural community college, she had 4.0 GPA and she was on a waitlist. When she got in her classmates were from all over the state from major cities because they couldn't get in.

Other healthcare careers will require 3.0+ GPA as well. In addition, nursing and other healthcare programs require certain courses. This usually takes 2 semester to complete anyways. For one nursing program I looked at all prerequisites had to be with a B or above.

Clinical psychology is pretty good career path of one likes it. But again, with that GPA there is no chance. In fact any graduate program wants about 3.0 GPA or above.

If you plan to get any graduate education, I suggest to act now and ace from now on in any field you decide to go.

Podiatry is definitely possible. If that MCAT score is actual score, it's good enough for pod schools, but for applicants with higher GPAs. By the time you retake your courses and get ready to apply, you might have to retake MCAT again.

18. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Can your "friend" get a Pod school? A reach at one of the low tier programs, The MCAT is passable and the GPA is in range at the big programs (Barry, Kent). 1.89 science GPA may disqualify her however.

19. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    It's not just GPA. That GPA means that there are a lot of Cs, Ds or Fs. It means retaking courses. Even 6 science courses to retake means to spend 2 semesters.

With undergrad in Psychology, I think they couldn't even fulfill all the prerequisites. I doubt they can even graduate if BS requirements are not met by failing certain courses.

stoinisjohn likes this.
  20. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Don't give them false hope. A low GPA like that in a Psy major means this person would not even make it 1 day in a Pod program.
    Barry might have accepted someone with lower stats than the other Pod schools, but those applicants usually have a graduate degree to back up their application. In this case, the friend has no chance, not even at a good nursing program, maybe at some online ASN program.
    If they want to get serious and want to do something in healthcare, then they will have to re-do most if not all of their pre-med courses.

I have said this in the past and I'll say it again: getting in a Pod program is one story, but making it from term 1 to term 2 is another story.

And anyone who is currently a Pod student would agree with this.

Weirdy, PashaOdesit and Keatbaby like this.
  21. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Are they even accepted anywhere?

22. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Your friend (or you) will not make it.

Funny because I'm seeing similar post/stats pop up from a new account in the OD forum as well.

Your friend will not make it anywhere currently. Even Post-bacs/Masters have GPA minimums.
    That 493 is the bare minimum the schools will accept.
    I highly doubt she actually took it and you are quoting hypotheticals to see where she can get by.

Redo every single one of her science undergrad courses. It is not enough to get Bs.
    She needs to get As on top of taking upper level science, not just psychology major specific courses.

If she scores all Bs and gets into a program within the next few years, she will not make it past 1st semester with the same work ethic/ego/laziness/whatever it is that is plaguing her (you?).

We have all been there one time or another. Being lazy, getting a taste of freedom, wanting to party.

How she managed to screw up for 4 consecutive years takes some dedication.

23. Certified Corsair

I would worry more about the collective populations life/health security before worrying about her job security.

PashaOdesit likes this.
  24. azolesoul

Pre-Medical
    I applied to medical school but realized that I really wanted any healthcare job where I’m helping patients. Is there a lot of variety in podiatry( I’d be most interested in podiatric surgery)?

3.3c; 3.0s; 500 MCAT. I’ve taken all prerequisites excluding physics II and lab. My ECs are fairly good. In addition, I’d need to shadow a podiatrist.

25. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Ask schools about physics II. You might have to take it.

Stats are fine for pod schools.

26. azolesoul

Pre-Medical

I’ll try contacting some schools next week.

Thanks!

27. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    lol what?

You are helping patients, either way. Go shadow a Pod(s) first before submitting anything.

Weirdy and PashaOdesit like this.
  28. azolesoul

Pre-Medical
    I did not mean any disrespect- I was essentially saying the same thing, albeit unclear.

29. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Stats fine for almost all pod schools. Gotta get that DPM letter and shadow to make sure this is what you wanna do. You’ll help patients alright, you’ll help them with all the nasty foot fungus, infections, and dead tissue that other people don’t wanna touch.

Lots of variety in Podiatry, but go shadow. You could prolly still get into a school if you applied in the next two weeks.

30. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Do realize you'll also be doing a lot of the routine care stuff as well.

You could be fellowship trained and still not get the surgical case load you want.

Yes, podiatry offers surgery-- but it is not a staple nor should it be the main reason for becoming a podiatrist.

Shadow thoroughly. Don't take shortcuts to the MD/DO route simply because you want to do surgery. That surgery is not as common place as you think-- even if we are trained for it.

GypsyHummus and PashaOdesit like this.
  31. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

That sGPA is gonna raise some eyebrows, but with a 502 and a masters degree to help offset the undergrad GPA, I see a lot of Pod acceptances coming your way.

I wouldn’t count on more picky schools, but certainly worth applying to all you have the money for and seeing which one takes a handle on you.

helpmehelp and Keatbaby like this.
  32. helpmehelp

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! In the middle of interviews now so hope things work out!

33. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Which schools did you apply and which you decided to interview at?

AudiLova619 likes this.
  34. AudiLova619

AudiLova619 D. Lee

Which schools are considered harder to get in or more picky?

35. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Here on SDN people say that DMU and AzPoD are the ones that are more picky.

For some reason, I felt that Scholl was more picky than DMU in my case.

Added: DMU average GPA is about 3.48 and AzPOD average is 3.45. Some DO schools have similar averages.

podofwar, Keatbaby and AudiLova619 like this.
  36. stoinisjohn

Pre-Podiatry
    hello everyone, im hoping for fall 2019 admission
    stats:
    cGPA: 3.02 ( with a big upward trend)
    sGPA:2.86 (Orgo Chem did not like me too much)
    MCAT: 505 (1st time. im thinking about another crack at it. because i feel my GPA is on the lower side)
    lots of hours Shadowing a DPM. i can get a LOR from my DPM and Science proffessors.
    What are my chances??
    is there anything else you guys recommend that will enhance my Application?

#3285 stoinisjohn, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  37. med2345

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    GPA is low but high MCAT will offset it. You could get in this cycle if you applied now.

38. Nervous Pre-Pod

I think you could get in if you apply this cycle as well but if you do wait until the next cycle you would have a chance for some scholarships. I applied early this year with similar stats and got some scholarships.
    cGPA: 3.3
    sGPA: 2.88
    MCAT: 508

Packers4lifeDPM and stoinisjohn like this.
  39. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I do not think you need to retake MCAT.

I think you will get in if you apply early next cycle at almost any school.

You probably can get in even this cycle if you want at some schools. Depends where you want to go.

stoinisjohn likes this.
  40. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Mcat is very strong no need to retake, but your gonna get grilled on your science GPA during interviews. Have a good explanation and get a DPM letter, and I can see acceptances coming your way.

stoinisjohn likes this.
  41. stoinisjohn

Pre-Podiatry
    Yea :( unfortunately I don't have the GPA I would've liked. But I did take science courses like biochemistry and microbiology to show that I'm fully dedicated to becoming a future pod.

42. stoinisjohn

Pre-Podiatry
    Congratulations on your acceptance :). Thank you for the reply.

43. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    As long as those courses were As and Bs, you'll be fine.

Tell them exactly what you just told us. They take upward trends and effort into account.

Do not retake your MCAT. That time and effort can be put to better use elsewhere.

44. helpmehelp

Pre-Medical
    I applied to all the schools.

Got rejected by DMU and AZPOD. Got interviews to all the rest. Have only interviewed at 2 so far and gotten acceptances to those two.

45. Packers4lifeDPM

Podiatry Student
    Your good. Apply sooner than later.

46. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    Got an interview for Barry too. Scroll up for stats. If you're looking to apply, this is the time.

47. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Is that your last chance this cycle?

48. NeedGuidance1122

Pre-Podiatry
    Hey Everyone, i'am so nervous need guidance.

what are my chances???

cumulative GPA: 2.97
    science GPA: 2.63
    MCAT: 501

40 hrs DPM shadowing.

tons of non-medical community service hours.

Am i totally Screwed??? what should i do???

49. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Is that MCAT score real or hypothetical score?

That MCAT score is pretty good to open some door for you as far as interview. The rest is on you.

Have you done any post-bacc or masters degree?

Since your Science GPA is so low, are all of yout prerequisite courses taken with C or above?

NeedGuidance1122 likes this.
  50. NeedGuidance1122

Pre-Podiatry
    The MCAT is real score i took it twice, this is the highest score.

All of my pre reqs are C and above, i did retake gen chem cuz i got Ds the first time.

Bio 1-B+
    Bio 2-A
    Gen Chem 1 retake- B
    Gen Chen 2 retake- C+
    Physics 1- B+
    Physics 2- B
    Organic Chem- C+ Lab: B+
    Organic Chem 2- C Lab: B+
    BioChem- B- 5credit hour class
    Microbiology-C+
    Chemistry course 2000 level-B

these were the grades i recieved in my pre reqs, idk if my science GPA is accurate i calculated it myself.

Also im not a scince major, im Sociology Major and Chemistry Minor

PashaOdesit likes this.
  51. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Do you have any other science courses besides the list above?

NeedGuidance1122 likes this.