This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know I posted on this before but I am SO WORRIED about my MCAT score. I have a retake tomorrow but I just have a mental block when taking it (the self-sabotaging mindset: “not smart enough”) and just being so nervous it’s hard to focus. Would my MCAT now be passable?
PS: 119
BS: 120
PS:122
CARS:125

486. No.

Stop worrying. Do better.

If you have time to worry, you have too much time not doing practice problems.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you study for it this time and what were your practice exam scores?

486. No.

Stop worrying. Do better.

If you have time to worry, you have too much time not doing practice problems.

I decided to watch all the khan academy videos (minus physics) and review on stuff that I forgot freshman and sophomore year (non-science major). I probably watched 100 hours of videos and studied at least another 100.

I take the MCAT tomorrow so it’s no point cramming.

Weirdy, I only asked because the MCAT is the only weak point of my application at the moment. (CGPA and sGPA both are 3.6+). I’m just nervous I’ll score a 486 again

I decided to watch all the khan academy videos (minus physics) and review on stuff that I forgot freshman and sophomore year (non-science major). I probably watched 100 hours of videos and studied at least another 100.

Weirdy, I only asked because the MCAT is the only weak point of my application at the moment. (CGPA and sGPA both are 3.6+). I’m just nervous I’ll score a 486 again

If you're saying that you did not read any prep books or used the AAMC materials then don't take this exam tomorrow.
Cancel it, get the proper resources and study for few months. The MCAT is not something where you can get a result by rushing it through.
There are schedules available here on SDN, so you can follow them and I'm sure you will do better.
This exam is the first of many you will have to take in any healthcare field you go into, Podiatry included, so fix whatever issues (anxiety, etc) you may have before you take this test.

KhanA is a great source but consider getting all the resources from AAMC as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

I see.

I am very confident you will do much better than 486.

I took it 3 times. Wasn't trying to beat on you. I am no better. Had lower stats than you.

That being said, be confident. You've taken it once. You know how it works. You know what the pacing is like. You've got great GPAs.

Go in there and kill it. Get plenty of rest.

Reactions: 1 users
3.18 cGPA
2.92 sGPA
496 MCAT
Shadowed a podiatrist for ~60 hours. Volunteered at a food bank for ~100 hours. Shadowed a family doc for ~150 hrs. Cardiologist ~50 hours.
Worked a bunch of jobs all throughout college (not any health related). Volunteered at a hospital for 500+ hours in high school (even though I know it doesn't matter but it doesn't hurt to add).

Wondering if I should retake my MCAT before this upcoming cycle. I really would rather avoid it and strengthen myself in other ways before this cycle by adding more hours.

Last edited:
3.18 cGPA
2.92 sGPA
496 MCAT
Shadowed a podiatrist for ~60 hours. Volunteered at a food bank for ~100 hours. Shadowed a family doc for ~150 hrs. Cardiologist ~50 hours.
Worked a bunch of jobs all throughout college (not any health related). Volunteered at a hospital for 500+ hours in high school (even though I know it doesn't matter but it doesn't hurt to add).

Wondering if I should retake my MCAT before this upcoming cycle. I really would rather avoid it and strengthen myself in other ways before this cycle by adding more hours.
You are fine for most schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Probably around 20-30 is sufficient. But the more the better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I would aim at about 20 hours or more. Try to get some OR hours as well since it is surgical specialty. I had about 26 hours of which around 4 were in OR.
I have one more quick question. I was recently able to do about ~8 hours of shadowing with a DPM and got a LOR from the doctor. From the discussion I had with the doctor, I got the idea that I was able to see most of the activities in the office. Is this enough hours? I also have ~40 hours of shadowing with a MD, which included observing surgeries and his rotations at a wound care clinic (which had him treating patients along with a DPM there).

Thanks!

I have one more quick question. I was recently able to do about ~8 hours of shadowing with a DPM and got a LOR from the doctor. From the discussion I had with the doctor, I got the idea that I was able to see most of the activities in the office. Is this enough hours? I also have ~40 hours of shadowing with a MD, which included observing surgeries and his rotations at a wound care clinic (which had him treating patients along with a DPM there).

Thanks!
Should be enough. Advisable amount is 20+ for DPM shadowing though

Hello everyone, I just got my MCAT Score back today and am wanting to know what my chances are. Would love to attend DMU, Temple, or AZPOD. But anywhere would be great. I am planning on submitting my application the beginning of August.

GPA = 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 science
MCAT= 502 (126/125/124/127)
LOR= 5 total (2 from Podiatrists, 2 from Science Profs, 1 from employer)
Shadowing = 30 hrs of POD in both OR and clinic. 40 hours of shadowing a DO (family med).
Volunteer Hours= 100 (Volunteer Tutor on campus, Food banks, etc)
Schools Applying to= Temple, DMU, AZPOD, Scholls, Barry, Kent St

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I just got my MCAT Score back today and am wanting to know what my chances are. Would love to attend DMU, Temple, or AZPOD. But anywhere would be great. I am planning on submitting my application the beginning of August.

Shadowing = 30 hrs of POD in both OR and clinic. 40 hours of shadowing a DO (family med).

Thanks!
You will get in everywhere, scholarships are in your future. Apply to where you want to go you'll have the pick of the litter.

Nice MCAT showing.

You'll be great everywhere. You are the type of student Pod schools love.

Thanks!

Apply to your top picks. You will get in (unless there is something in your app or interview). You have great stats and will get scholarships for sure. DMU maxes at 7K per year I think renewing each year if you have like 3.25.

I am not sure if AZPOD gives scholarships. Scholl will eat your MCAT for sure.

Thanks!
What's your state of residence? Why would you apply all over US with these stats?

Unless you are willing to spend so much money on apps and interview.

I would suggest picking 2-3 top choices and apply there.

Some people want to see all schools to compare, but that is expensive. People also apply to all 9 schools if they got low stats to have a higher chance of getting anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your state of residence? Why would you apply all over US with these stats?

Unless you are willing to spend so much money on apps and interview.

I would suggest picking 2-3 top choices and apply there.

Some people want to see all schools to compare, but that is expensive. People also apply to all 9 schools if they got low stats to have a higher chance of getting anywhere.
I am from Idaho and my wife is from Oregon. So all of the podiatry schools are relatively far from home.

My wife and I have lived in Delaware for about a year and love the Philadelphia area, so Temple is very high on our list due to its location. But I have not met anyone who has actually been in their Podiatry program.

The majority of podiatrists/students that I have spoken with have attended DMU or AZPOD. I have heard nothing but good things about either of those programs.

I am a little hesitant to decide without learning as much as I can about each school. Which is my motivation to apply to more schools than I probably need to.

I am from Idaho and my wife is from Oregon. So all of the podiatry schools are relatively far from home.

My wife and I have lived in Delaware for about a year and love the Philadelphia area, so Temple is very high on our list due to its location. But I have not met anyone who has actually been in their Podiatry program.

The majority of podiatrists/students that I have spoken with have attended DMU or AZPOD. I have heard nothing but good things about either of those programs.
I am a little hesitant to decide without learning as much as I can about each school. Which is my motivation to apply to more schools than I probably need to.

Congrats on the great score. Apply on day 1 and enjoy the extra $$$ :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, just wanted to take the time to thank all of you for the information you have provided me throughout this process in regards to the application and schools. I have made my decision to attend NYCPM class of 2022 :) I had applied to Scholl, Kent, Temple, and NYCPM. Got interviews for all, but did not go to the interview invite at Scholl due to traveling. Got accepted to all but chose NYCPM mainly since it had been my primary choice and it's closer to my family (NJ residents)
I know some may ask about my stats and extracurricular so here are some:
cGPA and sGPA: 3.4
2 Research projects (1 approved for publication this year)
over 100 hrs of podiatric shadow
over 1 year working as an ER scribe
medical internship and "mission trip" to India for pediatric oncologist
Dermatology shadowing in Peru for trauma victims
Peer Mentor program in Undergrad
-for my MCAT, I'm definitely not proud of my score so if you have questions regarding that I would prefer you to PM me and I will let you know how I did.
-for those people I messaged throughout this process, thank you so much for your kind words and advise! I definitely took all those things into consideration and I'm very grateful :)

Hey everyone, just wanted to take the time to thank all of you for the information you have provided me throughout this process in regards to the application and schools. I have made my decision to attend NYCPM class of 2022 :) I had applied to Scholl, Kent, Temple, and NYCPM. Got interviews for all, but did not go to the interview invite at Scholl due to traveling. Got accepted to all but chose NYCPM mainly since it had been my primary choice and it's closer to my family (NJ residents)
I know some may ask about my stats and extracurricular so here are some:
cGPA and sGPA: 3.4
2 Research projects (1 approved for publication this year)
over 100 hrs of podiatric shadow
over 1 year working as an ER scribe
medical internship and "mission trip" to India for pediatric oncologist
Dermatology shadowing in Peru for trauma victims
Peer Mentor program in Undergrad
-for my MCAT, I'm definitely not proud of my score so if you have questions regarding that I would prefer you to PM me and I will let you know how I did.
-for those people I messaged throughout this process, thank you so much for your kind words and advise! I definitely took all those things into consideration and I'm very grateful :)
Congrats

Thanks!
If you have any questions regarding the Glendale, AZ area, hmu!

If that's your actual picture in your avatar, change it, ASAP.
If you can afford it, then apply to at least 3-4 schools, interview at 3 of them and then choose 1.
You can only make your final decision based on your personal experiences while visiting the schools and talking to current students and faculty members.
Look at their board scores and where people are matching and such, but keep in mind, any school you attend will provide whatever you need to get the DPM degree. So, imo, the overall cost and the location should matter more when choosing that one school.

What smurfeyD said pretty much. If you are applying right away when cycle starts, no need to waste time and money to apply to all 9. Apply to 1-3 you would definitely go to. If you get in and like one of the schools, no need to apply to the rest. If you dont get in, well, apply to more schools. Once your app is completed and verified, applying to another school is simply selecting a school of your choice and click submit.
After applying, typically how long does it take to find out if you got an interview? And do you know if you get accepted/rejected soon after that?

After applying, typically how long does it take to find out if you got an interview? And do you know if you get accepted/rejected soon after that?
Received mine within 24 hours. Some took more than 3 weeks to get back.

After interview, you will hear back within 14 days.

Some find out on the same day right after their interview.

I applied and got verified the same day and got II same same from one school and II within couple days. Heard from one schools within a week and another one 2 weeks.

Hi guys, my little brother has a CGPA of 3.44 and SGPA 3.33 and MCAT of 492? Does he have a shot? I don't know anything Pod school. Thanks!

I know some of you here HATE when things are posted multiple times so I apologize if a question similar to this was already posted.

I’ve recently became interested in the field of podiatry and I’m hoping to apply to start fall 2019 and I wanted to know if I would be an eligible candidate.

Cum GPA 2.84
MPH GPA 3.98
MCAT 503
30 hours shadowing DPM (more to come hopefully)
Internship with DOH
Lyme disease research in undergrad and scholarship winner
Secretary of club in Masters program
Secretary of cultural club undergrad
Previous EMT
MPH scholarship winner
Pre med fraternity member and leadership role
Tutor for little kids
Ny resident
Minority

Ultimately I would really LOVE to go to NYCPM after going on a campus tour.

Within my cumulative GPA are some bad grades, (chem, orgo, physics mix of C/D-about 5) can I apply without retaking those? I graduated in 2016 and I can not afford those retakes so hopefully I won’t h to.

All advice is welcome! Thank you!

I think you should get accepted somewhere.

(chem, orgo, physics mix of C/D-about 5) can I apply without retaking those? I graduated in 2016 and I can not afford those retakes so hopefully I won’t h to.

I actually don't know. Medical schools require "C" or higher, but podiatry schools, I don't know. Maybe contact ADCOMs at NYCPM.

I know some of you here HATE when things are posted multiple times so I apologize if a question similar to this was already posted.

I’ve recently became interested in the field of podiatry and I’m hoping to apply to start fall 2019 and I wanted to know if I would be an eligible candidate.

Cum GPA 2.84
MPH GPA 3.98
MCAT 503
30 hours shadowing DPM (more to come hopefully)
Internship with DOH
Lyme disease research in undergrad and scholarship winner
Secretary of club in Masters program
Secretary of cultural club undergrad
Previous EMT
MPH scholarship winner
Pre med fraternity member and leadership role
Tutor for little kids
Ny resident
Minority

Ultimately I would really LOVE to go to NYCPM after going on a campus tour.

Within my cumulative GPA are some bad grades, (chem, orgo, physics mix of C/D-about 5) can I apply without retaking those? I graduated in 2016 and I can not afford those retakes so hopefully I won’t h to.

All advice is welcome! Thank you!

GPA is low. MCAT is great. MPH doesn't count much in terms of curriculum rigor. Research is a plus.

You'll get in. Just make sure you build good study habits to stay in.

Be able to explain discrepancy between undergrad GPA and high MCAT. Unless your school is known for grade deflation, than you're fine.

GPA is low. MCAT is great. MPH doesn't count much in terms of curriculum rigor. Research is a plus.

You'll get in. Just make sure you build good study habits to stay in.

Be able to explain discrepancy between undergrad GPA and high MCAT. Unless your school is known for grade deflation, than you're fine.

Do podiatry schools not require all pre-reqs be "C" or higher before matriculation?

That GPA might keep you out of some of the more picky schools, but with your MCAT, I can see a lot of DPM schools taking a chance on you.

I would apply to all and see where you land an interview.

cGPA: 3.685; sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 496
2+ years ED scribe, 100+ hrs of shadowing a podiatrist, 4 different research projects (1 publication), interning at a cardiac rehab center and physical therapy clinic, volunteering at church, learning assistant/tutor in undergrad, leadership positions for extracurricular in undergrad.

What are my chances? Scholarship?

cGPA: 3.685; sGPA: 3.55
MCAT: 496
2+ years ED scribe, 100+ hrs of shadowing a podiatrist, 4 different research projects (1 publication), interning at a cardiac rehab center and physical therapy clinic, volunteering at church, learning assistant/tutor in undergrad, leadership positions for extracurricular in undergrad.

What are my chances? Scholarship?
Yes and yes.

Scholarships vary at each program. Apply early to get them.

I know I posted on this before but I am SO WORRIED about my MCAT score. I have a retake tomorrow but I just have a mental block when taking it (the self-sabotaging mindset: “not smart enough”) and just being so nervous it’s hard to focus. Would my MCAT now be passable?
PS: 119
BS: 120
PS:122
CARS:125

Got my MCAT score back! 486 to 494
C/P 122
CARS: 125
PS: 126
Bio: 121
cGPA: 3.64 sGPA:3.61

Am I good?

Hello everyone, I just received my MCAT score today and was hoping for some feedback/advice.

cGPA 3.75
sGPA 3.6
MCAT 485 (120/121/122/122)
I have 7 letters of Recommendation (2 Podiatrists, 2 DO doctors, 2 Science Faculty, and 1 from a president from a DO School)
Over 30 hours of shadowing a podiatrist in OR and clinic.
Over 2000 Patient Care hours, Over 200 Volunteering Hours

I plan on applying to all 9 schools, and will start the application tommorow!

Hello everyone, I just received my MCAT score today and was hoping for some feedback/advice.

cGPA 3.75
sGPA 3.6
I have 7 letters of Recommendation (2 Podiatrists, 2 DO doctors, 2 Science Faculty, and 1 from a president from a DO School)

No excuse for that MCAT.

Your GPAs are above average. Why the discrepancy between sGPA and MCAT?

cGPA 3.75
sGPA 3.6

I’d definitely retake. There’s no rush to apply early. If you retake with a goal of 495 and apply later you’ll be golden

No excuse for that MCAT.

Your GPAs are above average. Why the discrepancy between sGPA and MCAT?

I have not taken all of the pre requisites yet. I have taken all the biology, 1 semester of general chemistry, and 1 semester of physics. I have not taken the 2nd semester of general chemistry, either semester of organic chemistry, and the second semester of physics. But I am on pace to have them all completed before fall 2019.

Would any schools take a chance on me since my GPAs are rather high for podiatry?

I have not taken all of the pre requisites yet. I have taken all the biology, 1 semester of general chemistry, and 1 semester of physics. I have not taken the 2nd semester of general chemistry, either semester of organic chemistry, and the second semester of physics. But I am on pace to have them all completed before fall 2019.

Would any schools take a chance on me since my GPAs are rather high for podiatry?

no

finish all the prereqs, take the MCAT again.

I see.

What Dexter said. Finish the rest of your pre-reqs with a B and try to get a 493+.

I agree. Complete all your prerequisites. Retake MCAT. Apply.

I have heard that Barry has an average of 489 for last year's matriculants. If this is true, would my 485 be eligible to even get me an interview invite?

I have heard that Barry has an average of 489 for last year's matriculants. If this is true, would my 485 be eligible to even get me an interview invite?

Email them directly and ask what their minimum is.
Most schools that got back to me quoted 493.

Is there an issue with retaking? You seem to want to delay it as long as possible.

Most people on here could take it without studying and still get your score or better.

I am just being real with you. You can do so much better.