Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

***Official Pre-Pod What Are My Chances Thread***

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by TXDO, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Lakerlover93

If I were you, I would spend as much time as possible on your MCAT prep. A solid MCAT score will definitely offset your lower GPAs. Aim for 495 and higher and you should be good even with applying in February.

hopefullyigetin and Keatbaby like this.
  2. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Podiatry Student
    I vote for January. I wouldn't say its early, but about midway through the cycle.

3. idontknowman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Chances?
    sGPA: 3.1 (could be a little lower if math is not included...)
    cGPA: 3.4 (much higher non-science, Chem got the best of me in ugrad....)
    MCAT: (scheduled) Practice revealed ~495
    ~200 hours hospital volunteer
    ~40 hours shadow/work chiropractor
    1 year licensed pharm tech
    Camp counselor for minorities and females in STEM
    Wrote for college newspaper
    About to shadow pod for roughly 2 days (~16 hours or so)

Super scared about MCAT.

How's it lookin? Best time for me to apply to increase chances?

4. DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Shadow pods. Take the mcat when you're scoring above 500 on practice exams. You get some II with a 495...GL.

Keatbaby likes this.
  5. pinklemonade2121

I have slightly lower gpa( sgpa 3.0 cgpa: 3.3 ) but scored a 504 and so far have been really successful with interviews! Good luck to you! There's hope for us lower gpa peeps

#3505 pinklemonade2121, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    idontknowman likes this.
  6. idontknowman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    !!! that's awesome! Good job on that MCAT tho!! My MCAT is around the corner, pumped and scared at the same time. When did you apply? I didn't know interviews were done so early! That's hopeful.

7. pinklemonade2121

Thank you!!!! I submitted 8/13! So far I've gotten 4 and going on my first interview next Tuesday :)
    And don't worry i'm sure you'll slay the MCAT. Good luck to you!

8. SLCpod

Staff Member Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're good.

9. SBPod

Hello all,

I'm shooting for CSPM, please let me know if you think I have a chance.

Before post-bacc cGPA: 3.23, sGPA: 2.70
    With post-bacc cGPA: 3.53, sGPA: 3.80

My post-bacc was 93 semester units over 2 years at local community colleges, knocking out pre reqs and random courses to help raise my gpa. I ended up with a post-bacc cGPA of 3.97.

MCAT: 491
    ~160 hours ER volunteer
    ~45 hours shadowing DO
    ~8 hours shadowing a DPM (just started...ongoing thing, aiming for around 20)
    ~200 hours community volunteer
    ~4 years military (couple awards/medals)
    ~3 years systems engineer (earned a promotion)
    ~BS in Business Administration

My transcripts have all been recieved and just need to obtain a DPM LOR. Do you think I should wait for the LOR before submitting my application?

Thank you for your advice/assistance.

Keatbaby likes this.
  10. Keatbaby

I think you should be fine for CSPM. My friend has similar GPAs and a lower Mcat score, but he still received an invite this morning for CSPM.

I would apply right now if I were you, and then send over the LOR once you have it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Yazo and Weirdy like this.
  11. Yazo

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your friend's exact score?

My MCAT is in a week or so and I'm afraid that I'm going to bomb it (extreme test anxiety) and won't get in. My sGPA and cGPA are similar to your friend's (both in the ~3.80 range), but my MCAT practice tests fluctuate between the 480s and 490s. What do you think is the lowest score that I could get in with?

Thanks! :)

12. Keatbaby

My friend scored a 485 on his Mcat, which was lower than each of the 5 practice tests he took. He contemplated retaking the mcat, but he decided to go ahead and apply. So far he has 3 interview invites so far (Barry, CSPM, and Kent).

GypsyHummus, fmcat and Yazo like this.
  13. Yazo

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! Best of luck to him, the risk was worth it.

You just took a lot of anxiety off my shoulders, haha. Anyways, back to studying.

Keatbaby likes this.
  14. fmcat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    That gives me hope! 2 of the 3 schools are in my list. I've higher GPA than your friend but my last MCAT was lower that 485. However, I'm planning to retake in September. Please keep updating. Thanks

Keatbaby likes this.
  15. idontknowman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Random question for this forum: I was looking over the curriculum for some pod schools and it looks like chemistry isn't a huge component (aside from biochem). My science GPA is at a subpar 3.1 because of Chem courses in undergrad; will the adcom take into account of getting A/Bs in upper level science courses say, over C's in orgo in undergrad?

16. Podstar

Podstar SDN Gold Donor

Podiatry Student
    3.1 sGPA is fine as long as all of the pre-req courses are C and above.

17. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    That's definitely a positive going your way.

18. Keatbaby

I bet you would have a good chance, even if your Mcat score isn't amazing. But if you can get 500+ you would be great for scholarships

gotchamatcha and Weirdy like this.
  19. Abcd2814

Pre-Podiatry
    Hi everyone!! First time posting on SDN and I am very excited yet nervous at the same time with the application process. I knew I wanted to become a podiatrist ever since I can remember and it is finally beginning. I graduated from undergrad a semester early in Dec 2017. Took the MCAT in June 2018 and got a 493 :)(not my very best but i was busy working to pay off loans and it was hard for me to study) and turned in almost everything for my application (except still writing my personal statement). I have not calculated my science GPA according to the AACPMAS guidelines but I did graduate Magna Cum Laude 3.7 GPA. I think I want to go to AZPOD, but I also want to go to NYCPM because they can start in January and I do not want to waste anymore time not being in school. What are my chances??

Keatbaby likes this.
  20. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    The GPA is great. For sure you'd get into NYCPM.

Arizona also favors high GPA/MCAT so you should be fine.

21. gotchamatcha

Thanks for your response! I received an interview for a school recently. I'm thinking about holding off on my top choices until later on. I'm really curious to see when people start getting interview invitations from Western

Keatbaby likes this.
  22. FutureDrFoot

It’s actually so crazy how math/statistics isn’t counted in the science GPA anymore... lol so what was the point of trying my best in them

23. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    Still counts towards your cumulative GPA :)

24. CPEM

Pre-Podiatry
    Hi everyone! So, I am seeking your guy's wisdom on this (chances of being accepted into podiatric medical school); and below you will find everything you need to know regarding my AACPMAS 2018-2019 application:

Side note: I'll be 20 years old by the time I graduate from undergrad, and I will earn my B.A. in Human Physiology from the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.

1. Science GPA: 3.29

2. Cumulative/Overall GPA: 3.46

3. Overall MCAT: 505

4. Direct Healthcare Experience:
    • 1.5 years experience as a CNA -- BLS for Healthcare Providers certified
    • 1 year experience as a medical scribe working for physicians in vascular surgery, and family/internal medicine.
    • 6 months experience as a direct care professional
    5. Volunteering/Shadowing Experience:
    • Volunteer soccer coach for a U12/U10 co-ed soccer team for 4 years.
    • Camp Counselor at Celebrate ME! Week summer camp for the past 2 years.
    • Clinic Volunteer at Missionvale Medical Center in Missionvale township just outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa, during the month of May in 2017.
    • 24 total hours shadowing two separate podiatrists (the first shadowing experience was only for 4 hours, whereas the most recent one was for 20).
    6. Extracurriculars:
    • I was the co-president of the University's LGBTQ+ Alliance from 2016-May 2018.
    • I am currently serving as the public relations director for the University's Undergraduate Physiology Society.
    • I play in an intramural soccer league.
    7. Research Experience/Miscellaneous:
    • I am currently in the process of publishing one of the novels that I had started writing when I was a sophomore in high school.
    • I took part in a research-based pre-podiatry internship that lasted a total of six months, and I am currently looking to publish this research.
    Thank you so much for your input, everyone! I look forward to hearing from you all! Thank you, thank you, thank you!​

25. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You're fine.

Pick a program you like.

I know you are young. Do not overestimate yourself. There is always more to learn. You will mature a lot in school.

CPEM likes this.
  26. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Why not try UMN MD school?

CPEM likes this.
  27. CPEM

Pre-Podiatry
    To be honest, I was straying away from podiatric medical school and toying with the idea of MD/DO school because of my advisor saying that I should look into those schools instead due to my MCAT performance and whatnot. However, my mind is and has been set on podiatry, and this is what I told my advisor, and I've been trying to tailor my last two years of undergrad education to prepare me as best as possible for a career as a podiatric physician. I'm not saying that the UMN medical schools in the Twin Cities and Duluth are bad programs, I'm just saying that they -- along with the innumerous other MD/DO schools -- would not be the best fit for me! Good question, thank you for your response!

28. CPEM

Pre-Podiatry
    OK, thank you for your response! And I appreciate your concern, but believe me when I say that there really has never been a time when I overestimated myself -- for me it's always a battle with that little voice in the back of my mind doubting my abilities and whether I am "good enough" and trying not to underestimate myself; I am very much aware of my being nearly four years younger than the average applicant to podiatric medical school, and I am concerned about how that will fare with the adcoms at my top-choice schools (DMU and Scholl). I realize that I still have sooo much to learn from the world, from the education that has been afforded to me, and from experiences that I have not yet had, but I feel as though my experiences and the adversity I have faced in life thus far have allowed me to mature enough and aided me in making an educated-enough decision about what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Again, thank you for your response, I very much appreciate it!

29. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You'll do great.
    Plenty of students that are younger than norm and coming straight from undergrad.
    Adcoms never had anything against them.

Just work hard.

CPEM and de Ribas like this.
  30. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    You have high chances of being accepted to Scholl or DMU. Your stats are pretty good and seems like you hve good portfolio of necessary experiences.

Your young age wont be a problem, seems like you know what you are doing.

When are you planning to apply?

CPEM likes this.
  31. CPEM

Pre-Podiatry

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it.

32. CPEM

Pre-Podiatry

Okay, that's good to hear, then! Are you currently in either of those programs, DMU or Scholl? And my goal is to improve my sGPA to at least a 3.45 by next spring, and cGPA to 3.50, but that's reassuring to hear you say that those stats are, for the most part, OK for right now. And thank you! I was worried about my age and how they might see that, but I have been trying to bolster my application with other quality experiences and ECs ever since finishing PSEO to try to draw their attention away from how old I am.

I'm currently finished with everything in the AACPMAS app but I'm still waiting on one more LOR from my biochem 2 prof. My apps are ready to submit besides that, but I'm not sure if it would be worth submitting them right now, but then not having the adcoms be able to look at my app until that last LOR comes in, or if I should just wait to submit it after I receive said LOR?

I gave my professor a deadline of October 7th of this year to finish it, but if they do wait until 10/7 to submit the letter, my programs of choice most likely wouldn't receive my completed and verified application until early/mid-November, so I'm not sure if that would be too late?

TL;DR - I'm planning to submit all of my applications by September 4, but those programs that require two LORs from science faculty and one LOR from a DPM (since UMN-TC doesn't have a pre-health committee to write a composite LOR) most likely wouldn't view my app until early-/mid-November since my biochem 2 prof has yet to submit their letter. My apps to Scholl, Kent, and Temple would be ready for the adcoms to view by October if I submit it by 9/4, but all other programs not until November, as previously stated.

Thank you again for your help!

33. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You should be fine.

Scholl specifically won't even look at your file until your LORs are in.

The other programs don't care as much. A majority I interviewed at gave an Acceptance pending LORs in as soon as I could.
    With those stats you will get in for sure. I would still submit.

Even November is not too late for those programs. Because they are 2 of the bigger programs, you would still have a chance of getting in come February or March if you really wanted to.

CPEM likes this.
  34. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I am fortunate to be at DMU. Awesome school with long-standing (2nd DO school in the country) and awesome reputation, a lot of resources, very experienced and awesome professors (some have been teaching for over 15-20 years), great Learning Center, probably the best Wellness Center among all 9 schools, great SPALs, Simulation center, and nice anatomy lab and more.

Once I started here, I realized how important it is to have great resources and staff. I cant imagine how hard it is for people that attend newer schools.

2nd years are very connected with first years and offer so much help.

I could keep going.
    Your app looks good. GPA is about an average, but your MCAT is definitely a plus.

In terms of LORs, check out individual schools. Some can wait after interview and some need them before they send II.

You will be fine. Even in January-March, you will be ok. No need to rush and be nervous. Relax. Enjoy your school time and work on your app items one at a time. No need to rush. You have plenty of time.

DMU, though, is actively interviewing DOs, DPTs, DPMs on a regular basis already. We see candidates almost every day.

CPEM likes this.
  35. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

485 and 3 II? Wow.

Was his GPA high? The lowest MCAT person I have personally met got into Kent with a 488.

Weirdy likes this.
  36. Keatbaby

Yes he had solid GPAs, a 3.74 Cumulative and a 3.6 Science.When he emailed several schools, most of them said that he would be considered competitive.

The rest of his application was impressive besides his low MCAT score.

37. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Interesting.

Hope he figures out how to beat standardized testing.
    He's gonna be taking them for a while.

Keatbaby likes this.
  38. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You're fine.

39. soccerpodgirl7

HI there!
    Do pod school let you know if you don't get an interview? I sent in my applications on September 3rd and my transcripts were just recieved by AACPMAS.
    My GPA is 3.55 with a 3.29 sGPA ( it was higher but I got in a car accident and got a really bad concussion last semester and my GPA went from 3.7 to 3.5)
    MY MCAT was 493
    I am a division 1 soccer player
    Research Assistant at UCSF for 9 months
    current volunteer hours/ all requirements for Application completed
    What are my chances and when should I hear from the schools?

40. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    They'll let you know if you do not qualify for an interview. But your scores look good enough for just about most pod schools! Do you know where you want to go?

Keatbaby likes this.
  41. soccerpodgirl7

I want to go to midwestern as my first choice! hoping to hear from them first so I don't spend too much money on plane flights to other schools.

dontbelatebegreat likes this.
  42. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    493 is on the lower end of Midwestern's MCAT scores from what I've seen, but you have a good GPA. Hopefully you'll get in!

43. fmcat

Last cycle, Midwestern's MCAT average was 498 which ranged from (498-520). But good luck!

44. hopefullyigetin

do you have to submit your application in order to get your science gpa and overall gpa calculated?

45. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Input transcripts.

Get it verified.

AACPMAS crunches out a number for your cGPA, sGPA.

46. Godluck&Goodspeed

NonTrad
    cGPA: 3.47 sGPA: 3.47 pbGPA: 3.7
    MCAT: 494
    RNx14yrs.
    Experience: CCU, SICU, MICU, LTAC, HD, PICC placement, Pysch, Tele, Management/Supervision...
    Applied DMU and Scholl

47. soccerpodgirl7

Where does the AACPMAS put you cGPA and sGPA?

48. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Download a PDF of your app and scroll to the transcript section. It will give you a thorough breakdown of your GPA into different categories.

49. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You're fine.
    Go with your gut during interviews and pick the place you like more.

50. Abcd2814

Pre-Podiatry
    Hi! Just wanted to let you know that my stats are similar to yours. GPA 3.6 and 3.8 sGPA MCAT 493. I had my application verified Aug 28 on AACPMAS and then Midwestern got my application Sep 4 and sent another email back Sep 6 inviting for an interview. Hope you hear back from them soon! Just be patient :)