1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

***Official Pre-Pod What Are My Chances Thread***

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by TXDO, Jan 22, 2009.

1. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Here are the most recent incoming class stats for Barry. Your sGPA is in the range of matriculants while your MCAT is literally off the chart. Your interviewers are most likely going to ask for the discrepancies in your grades, so if you can provide an adequate response and nail the rest of your interview, your chances will increase. Your worst case scenario is doing a small post-bacc of upper level science classes and doing well in them to increase your sGPA and prove competency. You got this!

barry incoming stats 2017.jpg

#3651 justici, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    hopefullyigetin and Keatbaby like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureDrFoot

Hey everyone,

I’m currently in the interview process and the two schools that I don’t see much comparison between is NYCPM and Barry. I’ve been literally on all the threads (saw one from ‘06) but I would love if someone give me a really nice break down of the two schools (the good, the bad and the ugly). I’m super torn, both schools have some pros and cons but could someone give me updated info. I’d be extremely thankful! Thank you!

#3652 FutureDrFoot, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. pre-PodStudent159

Pre-Podiatry
    After interviewing at both schools, I liked Barry better. There are many reasons why. Board rates/percentages don't really matter to me too much because all the schools give a great education, so I did not take board pass rates into consideration. All the schools are in the 80s or higher. I liked Barry because it is on an undergrad campus so you are allowed to use all the perks that an undergrad campus provides, such as a full size gym, pools, big libraries, lots of space to study, a really nice cafeteria that serves good cheap food, etc. I also really liked Barry because they had more clinical rotation sites. 3rd year students rotate at 3 different hospital based podiatry clinics, and each clinic provides a different diverse set of patients that you work with. NYCPM 3rd year students have to work in the lower level clinic of the school, however, it is NYC, so diversity is not an issue. I am not sure about NYCPM, but I know Barry provides a lot of peer tutors to 1st year students, especially for anatomy! Another reason why (not really the school) is because it is Miami where the weather is wonderful year round!

fmcat, FutureDrFoot and justici like this.
  5. FutureDrFoot

Woww, thank you so much! For this information, this was very helpful! I’ll keep this information in mind as I go for my interview soon. Did you get a chance to see the housing situations at Barry? I heard they’re small?

6. pre-PodStudent159

Pre-Podiatry
    They did talk about the on campus housing, however Dave Fletcher (person who you talk to most of the time there) did not have much information about it. I personally knew I would not live on campus because I know I can find something cheaper, so I did not ask much about it, but you do get a chance to talk to 1st and 2nd year students at lunch, so I would ask them about it while your there. We did not get to see the housing ourselves.
    The biggest reason why I am not considering the campus housing is because if you live on campus, they require you to purchase a meal plan as well, which costs thousands of dollars. I know for a fact I will not be eating 3 square meals a day on campus, so it is basically a waste of money for me.

FutureDrFoot likes this.
  7. SuperCooper_1997

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I finally made an account. Just wanted to see what my chances are.
    MCAT: 499
    science GPA: 3.82
    non-science GPA: 3.71 (Calculus hurt that one)
    overall GPA: 3.78
    Biology major with a chem minor
    Licensed emt. Worked in a hospital as a transporter for 8 months. Then worked in the ER for 4 months.
    Shadowed various doctors but have about 30 hours shadowing a DPM.
    I would love to get into Midwestern but I've heard they favor high GPAs and MCAT scores. I'd like to know if anyone who's interviewed there can give me any insight on how my scores compare. Also I've seen that my shadowing hours seem low compared to others. Do schools want to see a certain amount of hours? Or do they just want us to prove that we know what a DPM does? Thanks!

8. dontbelatebegreat

Pre-Podiatry
    You are in amazing shape for Midwestern. From the acceptance class of 2023 thread, there's been students accepted with a lower MCAT score. Great job.

9. fmcat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Finally some positive comments about Barry! I don't know why Barry has such a bad reputation here. Thank you for taking your time to explain this. Really appreciated!!

10. de Ribas

de Ribas Nobel Prize Recipient
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Podiatry Student
    great chances at any school including Midwestern.

30 hours of DPM shadowing is more than enough; more important if you have something to say about your experiences.

Keatbaby likes this.
  11. SuperCooper_1997

Thank you so much! I cant wait to hear back. Any idea how long it should take? My app was sent three days ago

12. SuperCooper_1997

Thanks! I saw plenty of patients and two surgeries. Do you have any idea how long it might take to hear back from MWU? My applications was sent three days ago.

13. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I am not sure. I have not applied there. I guess within a week after your app gets verified. Was your app complete and verified already?

14. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Any time now.

Heard back within 1 week and it was a reach school for me.

They like high stat applicants like you. Even if MCAT is 499, your GPA more than makes up for it.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

If you can, I'd like for you to share why you chose podiatry over MD/DO. For prospective readers.

Keatbaby and dontbelatebegreat like this.
  15. pre-PodStudent159

Pre-Podiatry
    Another pro at Barry is you don't have to go to all classes that you know you can do better just studying at home for. NYCPM requires attendance. Barry's professors record/screenshare the whole lecture online and some students were saying they have recordings from many years so it's a lot of practice when boards come around.

FutureDrFoot, Keatbaby and justici like this.
  16. poddamnit

Pre-Podiatry
    I applied in August and was invited for interview within 10 days. First available interviews were within 6 weeks. Acceptance was next-day after the interview. It all happens so fast...Good luck!

17. Ghoubrir

sGPA of 2.5 and uGPA of 2.55 in chem/biochem double major. Finishing my masters of science with a 3.77. Multiple leadership awards , worked 4 years as a CNA and 3 years as a HHA. Over 100 hours shadowing a podiatrist. Mcat score is a 501. Really hoping to get into NYCPM or Temple. Any advice on what my chances are or what I can do during the spring semester of 2019 to help my chances?

Sent from my SM-T350 using SDN mobile

18. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    When do you plan to apply?

19. Ghoubrir

Im looking to apply before the deadline in June 2019 to get in for the fall 2019. I'm already 25 and feel like I'm way behind.

20. poddamnit

Pre-Podiatry
    It seems like your biggest weakness was your undergrad GPA which you've addressed by kicking your Masters program's behind. On paper, you have enough healthcare and podiatry experience to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. Make sure you identify key experiences to highlight in your personal statement and interview.

You don't mention research or volunteering -- perhaps you could focus on one of those for the first half of 2019.

I don't know if I would wait until June to apply, though. There is more scholarship opportunity for early applicants. Also keep in mind that you'll have to take some time to visit the schools for interviews. A lot of people change their opinions after actually visiting the campuses despite having done extensive online research.

Ghoubrir and justici like this.
  21. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I agree with poddamnit that you should not wait until the end of the cycle. When do you graduate with your masters? If you graduate this December, I would apply right away. I don't think there is anything else you could do that would significantly improve your chances. Having 3.7 in masters and 501 MCAT along with your experiences, I think is good enough unless you wouldn't get accepted.

If you apply early January and start volunteering or doing something else, you could mention that during your interviews. Otherwise dont wait.

What I would do next year before school starts is work to earn some money, travel, enjoy and visit some people you would like to visit like relatives or close friends. Make sure you have enough time to find a place to live and set everything up in case you get accepted.

Do you have any volunteering hours anywhere?

Btw, is your masters heavy in sciences?

22. Ghoubrir

Thank you guys so much. I will be graduating with a M.S. of Environmental science which is heavy on biology and chemistry. As for research I have over 4 years of research and a masters thesis on a heavy science topic. For volunteering I was president of my student government and put on multiple charities for st Jude, MS walk and numerous other great organizations. I don't want to mention everything but I'd like to show the Programs that I was a student that learned from his mistakes and is dedicated to helping his community

poddamnit and Keatbaby like this.
  23. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    I think you should apply as early as possible. Do whatever you want before school starts. Like I said before. I would work, earn some money and enjoy this time before you start school.

Ghoubrir likes this.
  24. StudentDrCameron

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone,
    I just wanted some opinions on whether or not I may be okay to apply to some schools. My stats are as followed:

cGPA: 3.1
    sGPA: 2.9
    MCAT: 490
    -Two years of Neuroscience research with about four poster presentations and one publication
    -Founded Pre-Health Club at my institution
    -Certified Nurse Aide in the past
    -Biology Tutor, TA Mentor for underrepresented high school students taking college level classes twice a week
    - volunteer at a non-profit organization for about a year
    -1st place Oral Presentation in Social Sciences Category at the 26th annual CSTEP Conference
    -Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
    I also did a Pre-Health Internship at a podiatry school where I actually got to learn a lot about the profession and even got to shadow a few podiatrists in multiple hospitals.
    Would love some feedback if you all think I may be competitive enough for a couple of schools.

25. pre-PodStudent159

Pre-Podiatry
    I would say that if you apply ASAP, like get everything into AACPMAS by next week for verification, you may have a shot at Barry, Kent, CSPM. I got into Barry and CSPM with a 3.1 sGPA, 489 MCAT, and 3.38 cGPA. You may not get scholarships however.

GypsyHummus and StudentDrCameron like this.
  26. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    You're fine. If you're planning to start school next year, apply now.

If you want scholarships and are a good test taker, consider retaking the MCAT and getting a 500+.

StudentDrCameron likes this.
  27. StudentDrCameron

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I see! Thank you for the feedback. What do you think about my competitiveness for NYCPM or Temple?

28. pre-PodStudent159

Pre-Podiatry
    NYCPM maybe, I don't think Temple will bite this application year. I got rejected within 24 hours, however i did get a 489 MCAT. You could try. Seems like Temple has raised the bar a bit regarding MCAT scores.

StudentDrCameron likes this.
  29. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    Good chances at most schools.

30. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Temple like high mcat scores, so unless you are planning to retake and score 495+, I would focus on other schools.

DMU seems to like high GPAs and is more flexible on mcat. AZPOD really likes high numbers overall. Every other school is a go tho.

Though, not sure how apps are this year, maybe Temple will bite. I’d apply to all schools you are interested in to see who bites.

Your ECs are really good, especially the Pod specific ones.

31. Podfl778

Is interviewing at temple and NYCPM mid December considered late in the cycle?

32. de Ribas

Podiatry Student
    No

33. SDS1115

science GPA: 3.68
    cumulative GPA: 3.72
    MCAT: 491

EC:
    EMT Basic Certification
    CPR Certification
    Volunteer at Office of Services for Students with Disabilties
    Omircron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
    Was President of the Executive Counsil of Honors College for a year
    Secretary of Pre-Health Club (year)
    Secretary of South Asian Student Association (year)
    Volunteer Work at Northwell Hospital (on and off for a year)
    A couple different work experiences unrelated to medical field but showing leadership position
    Just began as a research assistant about a month ago

I applied to present at a National Regional Honors Conference
    I applied for a week long research program in winter
    I hope to get both of these as it may add to my application

I have not shadowed yet as I will be doing that during my gap year.

I’m trying to figure out what I would be a good applicant for. I recently visited a podiatry school and it was definitely more interesting than I expected. I was initially MD/DO but now I’m delving further into different respective fields so I was curious where I stand as an applicant?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Keatbaby likes this.
  34. justici

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Chances are great at all schools!

GypsyHummus and Keatbaby like this.
  35. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Yeah, with that MCAT Pod is about your only option if you wanna be a doctor, unless u take the OAT or DAT.

chances are good at all schools though and you might even get scholarships with that GPA.

Find out if this is something you wanna do vs just not being able to get into MD or DO school. Lots of smelly gross stuff, but super rewarding in terms of patient interactions (from what I shadowed. Pods were regularly thanked and blessed).

Keatbaby and Weirdy like this.
  36. Weirdy

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    What Gypsy said.

You're fine stats wise.

Make sure you aren't using this as a replacement for your original MD/DO goals simply because your MCAT is low and you do not want to retake.

This profession is very different. It has its limitations in scope but has a huge variety regarding the foot alone.

You will not be doing surgeries day in day out. You will also be clipping nails, nail avulsions, diabetic ulcers, etc.

Shadow and set up a realistic expectation of what this profession offers.

justici likes this.