2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Siberia State
Status
Podiatry Student
3.2 cgpa/sgpa
502 MCAT
7500+ hours of emergency room experience
I do not have any LORs yet, should I submit my application without them or wait a month or so to get them?
What are my chances of getting in this late in the cycle?
1. You are not late

2. Your stats are good enough to apply even a month later, but for scholarship purposes you might want to apply as soon as possible.

3. I would look at what individual schools say about LORs. Some can interview you without DPM LORs while some require all LORs before interviews are sent.

4. Submitting an app and getting it verified is done rather quickly. My app was verified the same day I submitted my application and received my first invite that same day.

5. Just make sure all parts of your app are ready, transcripts are received, PS is uploaded and you are ready to submit.

6. I am a proponent of sending a complete app with all required LORs. I do not see a benefit in submitting incomplete app. But maybe I am wrong.

7. As far as I understand, scholarship amounts are announced at the time of acceptance notification. So, I would guess it is more important when you are interviewed rather than when you have applied. But I might be wrong.

Nov 8, 2018
C or above is ok as far as core prerequisites go.

Below C's in core prerequisites will usually make you retake them.

In terms of competitiveness, it is your overall GPA that gets looked at rather than isolated C's. More C's -> lower GPA -> lower chances.
Thank you so much. I will keep GPA as high as possible

Jul 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
1. Haven't looked into the schools yet, just looking at my chances
2. 3.3 cgpa/3.2 sgpa
3. 508 MCAT
4. 0 podiatry experience but could get shadowing if I looked
5. 50 hours shadowing plastic surgery MD, 50 hours shadowing surgical oncology DO, 10 hours shadowing sports medicine DO.
6. Volunteering: 400 hours blood lab, 1200+ hours volunteering for church, 3 years research at my university.

DexterMorganSK

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
NYC
Status
Podiatry Student
2. 3.3 cgpa/3.2 sgpa
3. 508 MCAT
5. 50 hours shadowing plastic surgery MD, 50 hours shadowing surgical oncology DO, 10 hours shadowing sports medicine DO.
6. Volunteering: 400 hours blood lab, 1200+ hours volunteering for church, 3 years research at my university.
Nice MCAT score. Your chances are great. Get some pod shadowing and be able to explain why Podiatry and not MD/DO. Good luck!

de Ribas

Nobel Prize Recipient
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Siberia State
Status
Podiatry Student
2. 3.3 cgpa/3.2 sgpa
3. 508 MCAT
Great stats. Make sure you familiarize yourself with podiatry, shadow.

Reactions: Keatbaby

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
2. 3.3 cgpa/3.2 sgpa
3. 508 MCAT
You're fine.
Shadow and make sure this is want you want to do.

You are committing to a specialty from the first day you start.

Have some confidence. You can't get through school without confidence.

Reactions: GypsyHummus
Nov 8, 2018
I am not sure. I have not applied there. I guess within a week after your app gets verified. Was your app complete and verified already?
It was. I ended up hearing from MWU three days after applying, scheduled my interview for a week after that. Two days after the interview I got a call congratulating me on being accepted. Super excited!

Reactions: justici
Nov 8, 2018
Any time now.

Heard back within 1 week and it was a reach school for me.

They like high stat applicants like you. Even if MCAT is 499, your GPA more than makes up for it.

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

If you can, I'd like for you to share why you chose podiatry over MD/DO. For prospective readers.
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Life sure is busy this time of year. I chose podiatry over the other two because I loved the combination of being a physician, surgeon, and having the freedom to own my own practice. I worked in a hospital for over a year and I know that I would hate spending my entire career in one. I want the freedom to take care of my patients how I want to, and I sure as hell don't want to deal with hospital bureaucracy. I also never really considered MD/DO anyway. My father was an electrician (when he wasn't laid off) and my mother was an LPN. The process of getting into med school always seemed way too expensive for someone like me. Podiatry school is less expensive all around, and it gives me the freedoms I want. For me it's a perfect fit.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Echoing what others are saying. Stats are solid, that MCAT will land you some sweet scholarship dough at most schools.

Good for all schools, even the picky ones.

All the schools will love your healthcare experience.

Make sure to shadow and decide if you want Pod life, both pluses and minuses. Don’t use it in place of MD/DO, but if you jive well with the Pod lifestyle, apply ASAP.

2. 3.3 cgpa/3.2 sgpa
3. 508 MCAT

Jun 13, 2018
Posted on here before, but GPA dropped this quarter after getting C+ in human physiology and was wondering with 3 Cs on my transcript am I screwed?? Worried that they will look heavily on this one grade since the course is reflective of courses in med school...

cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.21
-15hrs shadowing podiatrists
-50+ hrs shadowing MD
-150+ hospital volunteering
-officer for 2 pre-med clubs for 2 yrs
-NCAA athlete
-1.5 yrs working as behavior technician alongside OT and BCBA for autistic children
-foot injury allowed me to see a podiatrist more which really helped me decided podiatry is what I want to do

Haven’t taken MCAT yet and wanted to know what I need to aim for and if I should skip next year’s cycle to get more clinical experience?

Last edited:

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student

Haven’t taken MCAT yet and wanted to know what I need to aim for and if I should skip next year’s cycle to get more clinical experience?
You're fine. Take the MCAT and apply.

The bolded is a waste of time.

de Ribas

Nobel Prize Recipient
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Siberia State
Status
Podiatry Student
Posted on here before, but GPA dropped this quarter after getting C+ in human physiology and was wondering with 3 Cs on my transcript am I screwed?? Worried that they will look heavily on this one grade since the course is reflective of courses in med school...

-15hrs shadowing podiatrists
-50+ hrs shadowing MD
-150+ hospital volunteering
-officer for 2 pre-med clubs for 2 yrs
-NCAA athlete
-1.5 yrs working as behavior technician alongside OT and BCBA for autistic children
-foot injury allowed me to see a podiatrist more which really helped me decided podiatry is what I want to do

Take MCAT and apply.

Dec 19, 2018
Hey everyone, hope you all are having a great holiday season!

Cgpa 3.01
Sgpa 2.8
Mcat 485 retaking it
60 hrs pod shadowing

Am i screwed??
Anything else i can do to enhance myself as a candidate?

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2018
Retake MCAT. You will do better than that.
Yea i will be retaking it! What score do you think could get me in? Can i submit application before i get score back cuz im worried that ill be late if i wait till after my mcat result come in?

Thank you for the reply

de Ribas

Nobel Prize Recipient
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Siberia State
Status
Podiatry Student
Yea i will be retaking it! What score do you think could get me in? Can i submit application before i get score back cuz im worried that ill be late if i wait till after my mcat result come in?

Thank you for the reply
Some schools are ok with applying and sending score later.

But I think that it is one thing to not a have a score at all and another thing is when you have a very low score.

You should make sure they know you are retaking before they reject the lower score. So, I am not sure which is better to wait or apply before newer score.

Reactions: bigGamej4mes
Dec 6, 2018
Hey everyone, hope all is well. Just trying to see where I stand.

(BMS)
cGPA 3.21
sGPA 2.9 (Had some family issues/deaths which effected me...)
Taking MCAT January
100+ volunteer hours (working on more)
5 years working as a licensed pharmacy tech
50 hours podiatry shadowing
200 hours family care shadowing
100+ Hours pain management shadowing
I have leadership roles in my 400+ member club I founded.

I’m starting a post bacc in January, hoping to bring my sGPA up. What are my chances and what MCAT score is a safe score? I’m hoping to get above a 500.

May 3, 2018
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hey everyone, hope all is well. Just trying to see where I stand.

(BMS)
cGPA 3.21
sGPA 2.9 (Had some family issues/deaths which effected me...)
Taking MCAT January
100+ volunteer hours (working on more)
5 years working as a licensed pharmacy tech
50 hours podiatry shadowing
200 hours family care shadowing
100+ Hours pain management shadowing
I have leadership roles in my 400+ member club I founded.

I’m starting a post bacc in January, hoping to bring my sGPA up. What are my chances and what MCAT score is a safe score? I’m hoping to get above a 500.
I had similar stats (slightly higher sGPA, but following a post bacc) and a 505 MCAT. Got interview invites from everyone except Western and Kent (didn't apply to those two)

Jan 30, 2018
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Does anyone know if I should apply with a pending score (taking MCAT in March) or wait until i get my score? My previous 2 scores were 489, 486. I don't want to get rejected right away.

Dec 19, 2018
Some schools are ok with applying and sending score later.

But I think that it is one thing to not a have a score at all and another thing is when you have a very low score.

You should make sure they know you are retaking before they reject the lower score. So, I am not sure which is better to wait or apply before newer score.
hmm thank you for the response de Ribas. i think ill wait until i have the scores from my MCAT in april. do you think its too late to submit application in April? or is it ok to submit in April?

Jun 12, 2018
I've been verified since Dec 7th but still haven't heard back from New York or Kent, should I call admissions and ask about my application?

Jan 1, 2019
I've been verified since Dec 7th but still haven't heard back from New York or Kent, should I call admissions and ask about my application?
I was verified in October and I just heard back from Kent today. I heard back from NYCPM the next day after I was verified. I had to tell Kent I was already enrolled at Scholl!

Shadow chaser

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Dismissed from a Caribbean med school after failing first semester twice. My cumulative GPA: in comunity college: 3.88; after transfer to 4 year college I graduated with 3.55 in Chemistry major. My MCAT was 487. I will retake MCAT. Will there be any chance for me? Thank you very much!

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
You will deff be grilled about your academic performance if you get an interview. Not all is lost for you. I met one person on my interview trail that failed from the caribean who was trying for Pod school. I dont know what happened to them, but they got an interview. You may want to consider doing something else though.

Truthfully, Pod school is almost identical to medical school the first two years. You will most likely fail out if you employ the same study tactics you did in the Caribbean.

If you truly want to still be a doctor and do Pod, I could see a large school taking you after you get your new MCAT to a 490+, but unless something else changes, I would consider other professions. Maybe Nursing or Physical Therapy. Pod school is too stressful, too expensive, and too time consuming to go into it with a half hearted attempt after getting smacked down by the Caribbean.

I know its prolly not what you want to hear, but the most wise thing we can do is to know when to keep pursuing something vs cutting losses and moving on. Maybe someone else has some insight.

Dismissed from a Caribbean med school after failing first semester twice. My cumulative GPA: in comunity college: 3.88; after transfer to 4 year college I graduated with 3.55 in Chemistry major. My MCAT was 487. I will retake MCAT. Will there be any chance for me? Thank you very much!

Reactions: Shadow chaser

Shadow chaser

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You will deff be grilled about your academic performance if you get an interview. Not all is lost for you. I met one person on my interview trail that failed from the caribean who was trying for Pod school. I dont know what happened to them, but they got an interview. You may want to consider doing something else though.

Truthfully, Pod school is almost identical to medical school the first two years. You will most likely fail out if you employ the same study tactics you did in the Caribbean.

If you truly want to still be a doctor and do Pod, I could see a large school taking you after you get your new MCAT to a 490+, but unless something else changes, I would consider other professions. Maybe Nursing or Physical Therapy. Pod school is too stressful, too expensive, and too time consuming to go into it with a half hearted attempt after getting smacked down by the Caribbean.

I know its prolly not what you want to hear, but the most wise thing we can do is to know when to keep pursuing something vs cutting losses and moving on. Maybe someone else has some insight.
Thank you for your response. I love medicine, but I slipped too early as I did not cope with study habits in the first semester. The semester after was due to an unexpected event that my grandma had a stroke, and a lots of factor relating to failing the previous semester, I was depressed. However, after getting out of depression, I had questioned myself whether or not persuing medicine, I decided to try podiatry school. I do not see podiatry school as lower stat than MD or DO. I did not apply to podiatry school earlier because I tried to follow my uncle steps, and I did not know about podiatry. I learned from experience. The reason I failed was that I did not have enough time to study. I used these time to deal with my emotional feelings.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Be honest, humble, and reach out to some of the larger schools. Explain to them the situation.

Make sure that Pod is what you want to be. Shadow Shadow Shadow and have an answer for "Why Podiatry". You will find DPM schools to be very receptive to people who show passion in Podiatry.

Thank you for your response. I love medicine, but I slipped too early as I did not cope with study habits in the first semester. The semester after was due to an unexpected event that my grandma had a stroke, and a lots of factor relating to failing the previous semester, I was depressed. However, after getting out of depression, I had questioned myself whether or not persuing medicine, I decided to try podiatry school. I do not see podiatry school as lower stat than MD or DO. I did not apply to podiatry school earlier because I tried to follow my uncle steps, and I did not know about podiatry. I learned from experience. The reason I failed was that I did not have enough time to study. I used these time to deal with my emotional feelings.

Reactions: Shadow chaser

HarmonicConvergence

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
My school has a few Caribbean drop outs. (and DO drop outs).You'll probs get an interview with your stats as is if you focus on schools who weigh gpa in higher regard than Mcat. If you retake Mcat and get 495 or above you'll probs get into all schools. Pod is def your best perhaps only shot at being a clinical doctor. Just know what you're signing up for and don't be apart of attrition. Good Luck.

Shadow chaser

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My school has a few Caribbean drop outs. (and DO drop outs).You'll probs get an interview with your stats as is if you focus on schools who weigh gpa in higher regard than Mcat. If you retake Mcat and get 495 or above you'll probs get into all schools. Pod is def your best perhaps only shot at being a clinical doctor. Just know what you're signing up for and don't be apart of attrition. Good Luck.
Thank you very much! It is realy motivated.

Reactions: HarmonicConvergence
Jan 11, 2019
Hey Everyone,
Here's my story...
I am an athletic trainer who graduated this past May and have been working as an athletic trainer at a high school for about 6 months and will be working another 4 months to finish the high school year. I am planning on applying to Podiatry school in August when the applications open. I started college at Loyola University Chicago and took 63 credits there and ended up getting a 3.5 GPA before I transferred to Illinois State to pursue an athletic training major as well as save money. At Illinois State, I took 88 credits and had a 3.97 GPA (graduated summa cum laude). Between both schools, I had a sGPA of 3.28 and cGPA of 3.75. Athletic Training is a pretty intense major so I didn't have much of a chance for extracurriculars. I did, however, spend 1600+ hours at athletic training clinical rotations (yeah they made us count and its my best estimate). I decided only recently to apply to a DPM program. That being said, I am taking Organic Chemistry I & II this summer in 5 week courses and taking the MCAT in early August. If it helps to compare another standardized test, I took the GRE and got a 301. I will start shadowing a DPM in the next couple weeks and through the summer hopefully totaling 60+ hours. I have a few questions other than just what are my chances... If I take Organic Chemistry at a local Community College, is there any of the 9 podiatry schools that will not accept those courses? Can I apply without MCAT score so I can submit my application as early as possible? And of course, What are my chances with my stats?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
Hey Everyone,
Loyola University of Chicago 3.5 GPA before I transferred to Illinois State to pursue an athletic training major as well as save money. At Illinois State, I took 88 credits and had a 3.97 GPA (graduated summa cum laude). Between both schools, I had a sGPA of 3.28 and cGPA of 3.75. If I take Organic Chemistry at a local Community College, is there any of the 9 podiatry schools that will not accept those courses? Can I apply without MCAT score so I can submit my application as early as possible? And of course, What are my chances with my stats?

Thank you!
You're fine.
A good classmate of mine also went to Loyola Chicago.

Focus on passing Ochem.

Study well for the MCAT. It is a different animal.

Havn't read anything in admissions that says programs will not take local CC credits. You should be good to go for that.

You can submit your app without an MCAT score.
Some SDNers here have applied and received interview invites before taking the MCAT.

When in doubt, email or call the programs you are interested in directly and get their opinion.

Best of luck, hope you like podiatric medicine as a whole.

Apr 8, 2018
Status
If I take Organic Chemistry at a local Community College, is there any of the 9 podiatry schools that will not accept those courses?
I took Organic Chemistry I and II with lab at a community college and I received interview invites and acceptance as well. I don't think it will matter as long as you get good grades. My organic chem GPA is 4.0 so maybe that helped? Good luck!

justici

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Anyone hear from midwestern recently about interview invites? It's been almost a week and still nothing. I got 2 invites so far and those schools took less than 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Give them another week or two, then call them. Being patient is one of the hardest parts of the app cycle, so I understand. Go watch Netflix and check back later :D

justici

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
should I retake genetics if I got a C- in it? I sent in my updated semester grades and still got invites from new York and kent
Is a “C-“ a pass at your school? If so, it’s fine. Genetics is not a pre-req course for any schools, so you do not need a “C” in it to fulfill requirements.

Jun 12, 2018
Is a “C-“ a pass at your school? If so, it’s fine. Genetics is not a pre-req course for any schools, so you do not need a “C” in it to fulfill requirements.
yes its a pass! I just didn't know if it looks bad or not to have a C- in one of my bio courses for admission

justici

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
yes its a pass! I just didn't know if it looks bad or not to have a C- in one of my bio courses for admission
Okay, you should be fine! Be prepared to discuss any shortcomings with grades. Some of my interviewers brought some “Cs” up, but they said that since I didn’t fail them, then it’s fine.

Reactions: hopefullyigetin

de Ribas

Nobel Prize Recipient
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2017
Siberia State
Status
Podiatry Student
should I retake genetics if I got a C- in it? I sent in my updated semester grades and still got invites from new York and kent
It is not a required prerequisite, so I wouldn't retake it. Plus genetics I took in undergrad was not helpful at all in med school genetics. 0% impact. I also wanted to retake it and thought it would help me. Glad I didn't waste time and money.