This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I am wondering on what my chances would be for podiatry school acceptance, focusing on NYCPM mostly, but if you have any insights on the other schools it is more than welcome. Here are some of my stats:
GPA -> 3.39/4.00 // Science-> 3.02/4.00
Practice MCAT-> 489 (i know this is bad, hope to raise it as close to 500 that I can, I'm terrible at standardized testing)
-I am currently in the honors college and have taken all the honors courses and will be defending my thesis next year (my senior year), however I won't be graduating in the Honors College because i fall .1 points short of the GPA minimum.
-I have shadowed a podiatrist office with multiple podiatrists for about 2 years, working as a medical assistant as well as learning the administrative side of healthcare, I am also the head of the Medical Records Dept. at that practice.
-I have done clinical shadowing in one of the best clinics in Peru, shadowing a cardiologist and a traumatologist, as well as time spent in the ER. (this was done over a very short period of time.
-I am my class president, and have won awards for leadership quality and am part of many honor societies.
-I have done charity work in a small orphanage in Peru, that I help to organize from here in the states.
- NYCPM knows my face, have been to their open house, have talked to them many times, and I will be attending their internship.

-BUT... i have a C in general Chemistry 2, improved to a B in Organic 1. I got a C+ in physics but hopefully i got a B- this semester. I got a C- in orgo 2 due to some heavy family issues and health problems but i plan on retaking it this summer.

Thank you so much! I know its long but I am very apprehensive about applying in August for the Fall 2020 admission.

@Weirdly I know you’re super helpful in a lot of these posts, sorry to tag you but im desperate!

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances?
I was a stupid 19 year old when I started college and all I did was party. I did not go to class, did not show up for exams and had no work ethic. I ended up with 1.9 GPA my freshman year (1.5 GPA my first semester) and almost got kicked out of college. After understanding the severity of my actions, I decided to get my life together and worked my ass off for the last 4 years.

I repeated all my freshman year classes. My gpa for the last 4 years of college is 3.9, and on my last 5 semesters I got presidents list (4.0 GPA).
If you don’t count my freshman year, I’d have a 3.9 GPA.
However, counting my 5 years of college I only have a sad 3.4 GPA.
I have lots of voluntary work and shadowing. I think my application is pretty decent if one doesn’t stare at my freshman year. I haven’t taken the mcat yet, but am positive I can score at least 500 on it.

What are my chances?
I was a stupid 19 year old when I started college and all I did was party. I did not go to class, did not show up for exams and had no work ethic. I ended up with 1.9 GPA my freshman year (1.5 GPA my first semester) and almost got kicked out of college. After understanding the severity of my actions, I decided to get my life together and worked my ass off for the last 4 years.

I repeated all my freshman year classes. My gpa for the last 4 years of college is 3.9, and on my last 5 semesters I got presidents list (4.0 GPA).
If you don’t count my freshman year, I’d have a 3.9 GPA.
However, counting my 5 years of college I only have a sad 3.4 GPA.
I have lots of voluntary work and shadowing. I think my application is pretty decent if one doesn’t stare at my freshman year. I haven’t taken the mcat yet, but am positive I can score at least 500 on it.
Great job on the reinvention. When is your MCAT? With decent MCAT, you are golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job on the reinvention. When is your MCAT? With decent MCAT, you are golden.
Thank you so much for the reassurance. I plan on taking my mcat in September and apply next cycle. I will apply as soon as the pod application opens and leave my mcat pending until my score is released. I’m not sure if finishing my application in September is too late for pod schools (I know for MD/DO would be extremely late).

Hey everyone,

I am wondering on what my chances would be for podiatry school acceptance, focusing on NYCPM mostly, but if you have any insights on the other schools it is more than welcome. Here are some of my stats:
Practice MCAT-> 489 (i know this is bad, hope to raise it as close to 500 that I can, I'm terrible at standardized testing)
-I am currently in the honors college and have taken all the honors courses and will be defending my thesis next year (my senior year), however I won't be graduating in the Honors College because i fall .1 points short of the GPA minimum.
-I have shadowed a podiatrist office with multiple podiatrists for about 2 years, working as a medical assistant as well as learning the administrative side of healthcare, I am also the head of the Medical Records Dept. at that practice.
-I have done clinical shadowing in one of the best clinics in Peru, shadowing a cardiologist and a traumatologist, as well as time spent in the ER. (this was done over a very short period of time.
-I am my class president, and have won awards for leadership quality and am part of many honor societies.
-I have done charity work in a small orphanage in Peru, that I help to organize from here in the states.
- NYCPM knows my face, have been to their open house, have talked to them many times, and I will be attending their internship.

-BUT... i have a C in general Chemistry 2, improved to a B in Organic 1. I got a C+ in physics but hopefully i got a B- this semester. I got a C- in orgo 2 due to some heavy family issues and health problems but i plan on retaking it this summer.

Thank you so much! I know its long but I am very apprehensive about applying in August for the Fall 2020 admission.

@Weirdly I know you’re super helpful in a lot of these posts, sorry to tag you but im desperate!

Your GPA is good for NYCPM, you MCAT though seems low, so I would definitely consider a retake. Their average was listed at 496, with a range as low as a 488, so you're within range, and with your EC's you stand a chance.

But, from what I understand, NYCPM has one of the most rigorous schedules of the pod schools, so if you're going in on the cusp, you could hurt yourself academically.

Reactions: 1 user
@Badlifechoices

Your GPA is fine for most schools. Retake Orgo 2 and take Biochem before taking your MCAT. I noticed that a lot of people who score sub 490s have not taken all their prereqs, especially biochem.

Your GPA is good for NYCPM, you MCAT though seems low, so I would definitely consider a retake. Their average was listed at 496, with a range as low as a 488, so you're within range, and with your EC's you stand a chance.

But, from what I understand, NYCPM has one of the most rigorous schedules of the pod schools, so if you're going in on the cusp, you could hurt yourself academically.
Thank you! And yes I understand, my boss and I have a very good relationship and she’s spoken to me about the rigorous courseload. My grades are as low as they are because my sophomore year (gen chem & into physics 1) i was kicked out and on the verge of being homeless, so I had to take on a bartending job in order to provide for myself on too of an honors courseload. Then this semester I had very extensive family issues and my health was affected. From this I’ve learned how to prioritize better and I know that I will not be working during podiatry school, and i definitely have adapted my mind set to not be as easily affected by the issues surrounding me.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I plan on taking my mcat in September and apply next cycle. I will apply as soon as the pod application opens and leave my mcat pending until my score is released. I’m not sure if finishing my application in September is too late for pod schools (I know for MD/DO would be extremely late).
September is not late for DO at all. Most on DO forum say that it's not even late until like Thanksgiving for DO. If you get decent MCAT, and with your new GPA trend, I am sure you will get interviews at DO schools. Most MD schools have deadlines somewhere in September.

You're fine.
Get that MCAT up as much as you can. Drill practice questions, then go back and learn why you got them wrong or right.

Your ECs and GPA is fine. Boost your MCAT and your relationship with NYCPM will get you in- pending your MCAT.

Aim for 500+. If you don't think that's doable, aim for 493+

You're fine.
Get that MCAT up as much as you can. Drill practice questions, then go back and learn why you got them wrong or right.

Your ECs and GPA is fine. Boost your MCAT and your relationship with NYCPM will get you in- pending your MCAT.

Aim for 500+. If you don't think that's doable, aim for 493+
So do you think i would be okay if I dont retake organic chem 2? Because the course I was planning on taking this summer is not working out well, issues with the college.

So do you think i would be okay if I dont retake organic chem 2? Because the course I was planning on taking this summer is not working out well, issues with the college.
Retaking orgo 2 is kind of a waste of time. It's more important to just do good on the MCAT.

Why would you say its a waste of time ?Do podiatry schools not accept retakes?
Well both grades would be used. But if you do well on the Chem section of the MCAT, you could tell admissions how you've learned from your mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not want to rely heavily on MCAT, do you think the C- would be a definite deal breaker even if i have upward trends and a B in Orgo 1?

Hi everyone! I’m a Canadian undergraduate student doing a bachelor of science degree in Kinesiology majoring in Exercise & Health Physiology. I’m graduating April 2020 and am leaning towards applying to Podiatry schools for Fall 2020. I just wanted to know what are my chances of getting in?

My extracurriculars:
-job shadowing 2 of the top podiatrists from my city
-Physio aid at a physiotherapy clinic
-Research position in 2 different labs at my college
-Tutor for an organization called TutorDoctor
-96 Hours volunteering at Children’s Hospital

My 1st choice would be Scholl just because my sister is doing med school in Chicago, so it’d be best for me financially for living expenses! What are my chances if I apply early in the cycle (August)? I've already been working on my personal statement just because I know it takes quite a bit of time.

Would love any feedback you guys are willing to give me... I’ve been kind of stressing haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you score in the high 490s/low 500s on your MCAT, you will have excellent chances at all schools. Feel free to explore the "Acceptance Stats for Class of 2023" thread for more information.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, I’m an senior undergrad from Texas. I want to know my chances for DMU,Temple,Midwestern plus opportunity for scholarships.
cGPA: 3.3
s.GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 493

Extracurricular:
-over 100 hours of orthopedic surgery shadowing
-50 hours of DPM shadowing
-2 different research labs
-multiple volunteer projects
-full time caregiver job

Hello everyone, I’m an senior undergrad from Texas. I want to know my chances for DMU,Temple,Midwestern plus opportunity for scholarships.
cGPA: 3.3
s.GPA: 3.1
MCAT: 493

Extracurricular:
-over 100 hours of orthopedic surgery shadowing
-50 hours of DPM shadowing
-2 different research labs
-multiple volunteer projects
-full time caregiver job

That MCAT might be a little too low for temple combo with that GPA. GPA might be too low for AZPOD but you might get in. DMU seems fine.

I would if I had your stats. That’s not to say you won’t get in, but both GPA and MCAT are a bit too low to not apply to the bigger schools. Again, you could prolly still get in, it’s just not a for sure bet.

I recommend Kent, I was impressed with them.

Would you recommend looking into other schools?

Hello all. This is my first post on here. I am worried about applying in August. I’ve already taken too many units to raise my overall gpa significantly. Should I apply with my current stats or retake the MCAT?

Cgpa: 2.627
Sgpa: 2.894
MS Kinesiology gpa: 3.65
Post-bacc gpa (including masters): 3.12
MCAT: 486

Work History: Substitute Teacher, Wellness Coordinator, Biometric Health Screener, Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Intern, Recreation Coordinator

EC: American Cancer Society Relay for Life, School Campus Beautification, Mission Trip to Nigeria, College Bound Volunteer

Gonna be a tough sell with a sub 490 MCAT and a sub 3.0 GPA. Post bacc/MS GPA May save u, but I would try and retake the MCAT, shoot for a 490+.

My contacts tell me some of the larger pod schools are hurting for more students. I would target those big schools first.

Hello all. This is my first post on here. I am worried about applying in August. I’ve already taken too many units to raise my overall gpa significantly. Should I apply with my current stats or retake the MCAT?

Cgpa: 2.627
Sgpa: 2.894
MS Kinesiology gpa: 3.65
Post-bacc gpa (including masters): 3.12
MCAT: 486

Work History: Substitute Teacher, Wellness Coordinator, Biometric Health Screener, Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Intern, Recreation Coordinator

EC: American Cancer Society Relay for Life, School Campus Beautification, Mission Trip to Nigeria, College Bound Volunteer

Hello. First poster on SDN and a new interest in podiatry. I did some research on podiatry and I am planning to apply for 2020 fall. I understand that the first Wednesday of August 2019 is when the app can be submitted. Some questions here:

1) Does the app open prior to allowing students to submit so we can prepare our PS? If so, when does it open?
2) How many hours of shadowing do schools (especially NYCPM) recommend? Does it matter DPM/DO/MD?
3) What a competitive cGPA/sGPA and MCAT to be considered top 10% applicant to be accepted? (For NYCPM but open to hear about all other schools)
4) Competitive GPA/MCAT to be considered for scholarships? (For NYCPM but open to hear about all other schools)

Thank you for your advice/feedback!

Welcome to the Podiatry Forums!

1) The app will open on the first Wednesday in August. The PS prompt is pretty much the same every year; it is "State below why you are interested in becoming a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. Provide information about your development for a career in Podiatric Medicine. Your essay should be limited to 4500 characters." Remember, spaces count as a characters.
2) In general, there is not a recommended amount of shadowing hours. To be more narrow, Barry enjoys seeing candidates shadow multiple podiatrists, spending 16-20 hrs each. It will be advantageous for you to shadow more than one to understand how different podiatrists operate and so that you can accurately answer these types of questions during interviews.
3) This question is a bit narrow for me to answer accurately, but you may find the most recent Podiatric Medical College Information Book helpful.
4) Refer to (3). In general, the earlier you apply, the greater opportunity you have for scholarships.

Hope this helps!

Hello. First poster on SDN and a new interest in podiatry. I did some research on podiatry and I am planning to apply for 2020 fall. I understand that the first Wednesday of August 2019 is when the app can be submitted. Some questions here:

1) Does the app open prior to allowing students to submit so we can prepare our PS? If so, when does it open?
2) How many hours of shadowing do schools (especially NYCPM) recommend? Does it matter DPM/DO/MD?
3) What a competitive cGPA/sGPA and MCAT to be considered top 10% applicant to be accepted? (For NYCPM but open to hear about all other schools)
4) Competitive GPA/MCAT to be considered for scholarships? (For NYCPM but open to hear about all other schools)

Thank you for your advice/feedback!
1. Don't remember about new app opening date. You can prewrite PS in MS Word. No need to hurry to apply first week. You will have plenty of time. You won't start school earlier.

2. DPM matters most of course. Not sure about NYCPM, but 20 hours should be enough for all schools. Make sure you shadow to understand if you like it or not. So, 20hrs might or might not be enough for you. If you have a chance, shadow in OR.

3. For that, check recent Handbook. Roughly, to be in top 10% of all applicants you should probably have 3.5+ GPA and 498+ MCAT. (I just guessed. I might be way off on numbers.)

4. Not sure about NYCPM or other schools specifically. I think applying early is major criteria and having 3.3+ GPA and 494+ MCAT should be the start for scholarships. The higher numbers you have, probably higher amounts you will get. Again depends on the school. I don't really know what criteria they use.

If your stats are fixed, the only variable will be when you apply.

@Motyal54 I had near identical stats to you (except MCAT) for Temple. If you could retake it in August, and get a higher score above 500, Temple would give you a scholarship.

Hello everyone!
I’m planning on applying in August to all 9 schools and I was just wondering what my chances are!

GPA:3.02
sGPA:2.73
MCAT: 506

My mom got breast cancer the beginning of my undergrad and it was really hard to cope with since I was several hours away from home. However, my grades started to get better during my senior year (also graduated a year early). I genuinely want to do podiatry, it’s not my back up plan so I’m hoping if I get an interview they can see that.

Extra: Currently a medical assistant for a podiatrist (well known in the state of Florida and he’s writing my recommendation letter), lots of volunteering at nursing home and homeless shelters, 200+ shadowing hours with a general surgeon, sports clubs, worship leader for a church group

Should I apply for a post-Bach just in case? If so, which ones do you guys recommend? Just really nervous about this and would love some advice!

Welcome and glad that you have decided on podiatry and that it is your first choice!

In my opinion, most schools are looking for around a 3.2 avg and a 3.1 science, and a 500 MCAT. That being said, your high MCAT does compensate your lower-end GPAs. I think if you apply early and apply broadly, especially to bigger schools such as Temple, NYCPM, and Kent you should be fine. Your ECs are great. I would apply to post-bacc as a backup only if you don't get any interview invites by October. With that MCAT, you should be able to get scholarships from bigger MCAT heavy schools, like Temple, as I mentioned above. Good luck!

Also, I got an A- in orgo 1 and a B+ in orgo lab, however I got a C- in orgo 2 (bad professor, failed half his class) Do podiatry schools accept C-? I’m already planning on retaking it at a community college in the fall but I’m already going to be applying to podiatry schools early August. Should I wait until the course is done or should I mention on my application that I’m currently retaking it to prove that it was the professor’s style and not my lack of understanding in the class. Will they reject my application overall if they see I got a C- even though I’m going to be retaking it?

Also, I got an A- in orgo 1 and a B+ in orgo lab, however I got a C- in orgo 2 (bad professor, failed half his class) Do podiatry schools accept C-? I’m already planning on retaking it at a community college in the fall but I’m already going to be applying to podiatry schools early August. Should I wait until the course is done or should I mention on my application that I’m currently retaking it to prove that it was the professor’s style and not my lack of understanding in the class. Will they reject my application overall if they see I got a C- even though I’m going to be retaking it?
On the application it allows you to say if you are retaking a course. You can also apply without having a prerequisite course. When I applied I hadn’t taken physics 2 but they were cool about it!

You wont be rejected just because you have C- in a prerequisite course. Your app will be looked at as if you had any other grade for that class. They wont even focus on it at this point. Once you are accepted, that particular school might take C- or ask you to retake and get at least C before matriculation.

No need to prove anything. Was it professor's style or any other reason nobody cares at this point.

First - thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer all of these "what are my chances?" questions.

So...I'm planning to apply in the upcoming cycle, and I'm a little concerned about my background and extracurriculars. I was on a pre-med/pre-health track a long time ago, but life happened and I got pretty far off course, ending up as a software engineer. I don't really have extracurriculars to speak of (other than hobbies)... I was in grad school full-time for a while, then working full-time for several years after that, just doing the daily grind. Can anyone weigh in on how important background and extracurriculars are, if I'm strong academically? Here are my stats:

Undergrad: 3.75 GPA / 3.5 sGPA
Grad (bio-related masters): 4.00 GPA
MCAT: scheduled for late July; got a 502 on my diagnostic when i started studying a couple weeks ago

The bio-related masters will help, and there are many pod students who enter school as a part of a change of profession type deal. However, I would try to call the pod schools individually to get their opinion. Those stats look great - maybe even good enough for a full MD program. In your situation, I am not sure if you want to do a full special masters program for one year (as far as I know, Hopkins has a change of career special masters program). Aside from that, I would get some volunteering/shadowing a DPM if you can. To me, the only thing that you are missing is health-related ECs. Do you have all the class requirements done? Try calling a few pod schools to get their take on the situation.

MCAT: scheduled for late July; got a 502 on my diagnostic when i started studying a couple weeks ago

You're a shoe in. No need to do an SMP or post bac for DPM.

Email programs you are interested. Double check to see if credits are within time frame and havn't expired. Take MCAT and shadow.

If DPM is what you really want, your stats and advantage as a non-trad will get you in anywhere you want.

Great scores, will get you into any Pod school you want with scholarship.

Just shadow a DPM.

Why not retake the MCAT and apply MD? If you can get a 510+, I could see state MD schools taking a look at you. You could most likely get into DO schools.

Make sure DPM is what you want. Your stats could land you in everything school except MD right now. Think about Dentistry?

First - thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer all of these "what are my chances?" questions.

So...I'm planning to apply in the upcoming cycle, and I'm a little concerned about my background and extracurriculars. I was on a pre-med/pre-health track a long time ago, but life happened and I got pretty far off course, ending up as a software engineer. I don't really have extracurriculars to speak of (other than hobbies)... I was in grad school full-time for a while, then working full-time for several years after that, just doing the daily grind. Can anyone weigh in on how important background and extracurriculars are, if I'm strong academically? Here are my stats:

Stats wise, you'll get in no doubt. You also have great chances at MD/DO/DDS as well depending on your exam score. MD: MCAT of 509+, DO: MCAT of 504+. Just comes down to which profession you prefer.

Hi everyone! hope y'all are having a great day!
do i have any chances at all???

cGPA: 2.82 (upward trend)
sGPA: 2.61
MCAT: 483

70 hrs of pod Shadowing., and other health related volunteering.

any advice will be appreciated.

That’s gonna be a long shot. Maybe a large school trying to fill their class. Even then I’m not sure.

I would try and retake the MCAT and hit the 490 mark. I could see a larger school taking a chance on you.

It is great that you have shadowing and clinical volunteering done, but I am afraid that your numerical stats are not sufficient. I highly suggest you retake the MCAT and aim as high as you can; a high 490s to low 500s will make your profile much more attractive. Your cGPA and sGPA do fall within range of some programs, but I still encourage you to demonstrate science competency by taking upper level science courses in a DIY-post bacc. The latter is to prove to programs that you will be able to handle an aggressive course load and to also hold you accountable for yourself as well. If you really want to go for the upcoming cycle, the minimum you can do is retake the MCAT. I hope this helps and good luck!

Very slim chance at Barry. Other than that, pretty much no chance. You need to retake your MCAT and try to apply before November.

I would 100% go back and retake the MCAT. Your MCAT only shows that you did not prepare appropriately and or had a bad exam day. Given that your GPA is on the low side compared to the average applicant, your MCAT is going to need to show the administrators that you can handle the coursework and exams.

Hello everyone,

Very new to SDN and a recent interest in podiatry.

Undergraduate: cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.55
Graduate: cGPA 3.87 sGPA 3.81
MCAT: 499

EC in brief:
- 30+ hours shadowing podiatrist
- a couple major leadership positions (1 med related (research), 1 non-med related)
- 100+ hours shadowing MD/DO

Applying early this upcoming cycle to NYCPM, TUSPM, and SCPM. What are my chances for a scholarship, and roughly how much? Mainly interested in NYCPM.

Hello everyone,

EC in brief:
- a couple major leadership positions (1 med related (research), 1 non-med related)

Applying early this upcoming cycle to NYCPM, TUSPM, and SCPM. What are my chances for a scholarship, and roughly how much? Mainly interested in NYCPM.

Good chance of scholarship from each school between $5,000-$10,000. Just look at previous people's scholarships on this thread.

I would try and shoot for low tier DO schools with your stats.

If not, many pod schools will gladly take you on with scholarship.

Hello everyone,

EC in brief:

Reactions: 1 users