Official pulmonary critical care 2016-2017 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what's the general feeling about cancelling safety net interviews in favor of places that are offering you on their second- or third-round of invites?
Depends on your other IV offers. Are you canceling one of 3 IVs for it, or one of 13?

Members don't see this ad.

Our initial review of your application file suggests that the likelihood of your ultimately matching into the UW program is low and, therefore, we are not able to offer you an interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your other IV offers. Are you canceling one of 3 IVs for it, or one of 13?
1 of 11 (yes, i know, but i had already booked a couple flights before better offers came in...)

Need to book a return flight from knoxville tennessee.they have said interview will last till 5 pm..has anybody finished their interview..do they really finish at 5 or earlier or later??any idea??

University of Southern Cal - 9/5
University of Virginia - 9/6

Newark Beth Israel Medical Center 9/8

1 of 11 (yes, i know, but i had already booked a couple flights before better offers came in...)

So they have around 8-9 applicants and your interview May last till 4ish-4:30ish demeaning on which IV group you are placed. Coordinator is friendly and she will accommodate you if you need to leave early. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Been a silent observer of the thread, when should we the IV season to fizzle out ?

Been a silent observer of the thread, when should we the IV season to fizzle out ?
Not sure overall, would check out last years thread to see when people stopped listing invites...for me I received almost all of my invites by approximately this time last year, but still got 1 or 2 into late September!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on Henry Ford Vs SUNY Brooklyn ?

Do the dinners have much bearing on the selection process? Is it more of an opportunity to get to know the fellows?

Any opinion on Dartmouth vs Univesity of Missouri (Columbia) for IMG requiring VISA? I was wondering about the fact that Dartmouth only has one spot.

Anybody hear back from university of Miami ccm?
I was told they will send invites late.
Pulm/cc already filled...

Got an interview at Orlando - pulm only yesterday
Mayo pulm ccm rejection.
University of Arizona ccm rejection.

Anyone know from previous years if folks were able to match into interviews received during the 'second wave' (or later) of invites ?
I feel I might get a more prestigious IV then, but will be a back up candidate for top tier programs?
(IMG needing visa)

Not until I got on the interview trail did I realize that there were plenty of major fellowship programs that didn't have T32 funding in pulmonary, or the amount of funding is radically different than other comparable programs.

Obviously it's a big deal to have funding that allows a guaranteed 18mo, an extra year, etc., but I guess I'm wondering whether there are programs that simply don't use (or don't have to use) T32 dollars to reach that objective.

Examples: UVA, MUSC, Maryland, and Dartmouth (no T32s in pulmonary) . Are there in-house sources of funding that some of these Ivy/Public Ivy universities use in lieu of T32s? For example, BU has a pulmonary T32 that's >$1M (almost as big as Hopkins'), yet Mayo's pulmonary T32 is only $250k.

Am I reading into this too much? Are most of these research universities safe bets regardless of T32 status/amount?

AMG
Albany Medical Center - 8/12
Banner University Medical Center- Phoenix- 8/6 (wc0921)
Baylor-Houston - 8/1, 8/2(RockChalkDoc!)
Baylor Scott & White- 8/6 (wc0921)
Brigham and Women's Hospital - 7/29, 8/17 ("anon")
Boston U - 7/25 (kor2518), 7/27 (aspergilloma)
Brown - (intmed1984)
California Pacific - 7/29 (wcard8)
Columbia - 8/2 ("anon")
Cornell - 8/24 ("anon")
Creighton - 9/2 (aspergilloma)
Dartmouth - 7/28 (kor2518, aspergilloma), 8/19 (gte770m)
Drexel - 8/22 (kor2518)
Duke
Emory - 8/8 (popcornhog)
Georgetown - (8/1), (intmed1984)
George Washington - 8/12 ("anon")
Houston Methodist - 7/29 (SS Normandy, RockChalkDoc!)
Indiana University- 8/3 (luckyinky)
Johns Hopkins University - 7/29, 8/23
JHMC - 8/4 (hope4fellow)
Lahey Clinic - 8/17 (kor2518)
Jefferson 8/25
Loma Linda - 8/23 (chessknt87)
Louisiana State University - 8/1(RockChalkDoc!)
Maine Medical Center - 8/16
Mayo Clinic (Rochester) - 8/25
Medical College of Wisconsin - 7/25 (chessknt87, popcornhog)
MGH
Montefiore Medical Center - 8/1 (SSNormandy), 8/3 ("anon"), (intmed1984)
Mount Sinai - 7/26 ("anon")
Mount Sinai/St. Luke's/BI - 8/18 (hope4fellow)
MUSC - 8/17
Northwestern - 7/19 (scott8013)
NYU - 8/18 ("anon")
Ohio State University - (aspergilloma, intmed1984)
OHSU - 7/25 (aspergilloma)
St. Elizabeth's - 8/19 (wcard8)
Stanford - 8/8 (Scott8013)
Temple - 8/5 (kor2518, RockChalkDoc!), (intmed1984)
Thomas Jefferson - (intmed1984), 8/25 ("anon")
Tufts - 7/29 (kor2518, SS Normandy), 8/19 (gte770m), (intmed1984)
UAB - 7/19 (aspergilloma, popcornhog), 7/22 (hinju, Vigileo), 7/26 (luckyinky)
University of Buffalo - 8/19 (gte770m), 8/30
UC Davis - 8/24 (aspergilloma)
UC Irvine- 8/6
UCLA
UC San Diego
UCSF 8/31 (Scott8013)
University of Colorado- 8/6(anon) 8/8 (Scott8013)
University of Chicago - 7/21
University of Cincinnati- 7/25 (luckyinky, Vigileo)
University of Connecticut - 7/29(kor2518)
University of Iowa - 8/16 (aspergilloma)
University of Florida - 7/26(popcornhog, lucky inky)
University of Kansas- 7/29 (RockChalkDoc!)
University of Kentucky- 8/8 (luckyinky, Vigileo)
University of Louisville - 7/20 (luckyinky, Vigileo, popcorn hog)
University of Maryland- 7/19 (luckyinky),8/8 ("anon")
University of Massachusetts - 8/19 (kor2518)
University of Miami/Jackson - 7/28 (wcard8)
University of Michigan - 8/1
University of Minnesota - 8/15 (chessknt87)
University of Missouri KC - 8/22
University of Nebraska - 7/26 (popcornhog), 8/4
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill- 8/3 (luckyinky, RockChalkDoc!), (intmed1984)
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh - 8/12 ("anon")
University of Texas Medical Branch-8/12 (RockChalkDoc!)
University of Utah - 7/31 (wcard8), 8/19 (gte770m), 8/25 (aspergilloma)
University of South Florida - 8/19(aspergilloma)
University of Vermont - 8/15 (kor2518), 8/19 (aspergilloma)
University of Virginia - 7/23 (aspergilloma)
University of Washington - 8/12(aspergilloma)
Vanderbilt University - 7/21 (Vigileo)
VCU - 8/17 (aspergilloma, RockChalkDoc!)
Virginia Tech - 8/5
Wake - 8/4, 8/5 (RockChalkDoc!, Vigileo)
WashU - 7/19 (popcornhog)
Winthrop 7/29
Yale - 7/26 (kor2518)

IMG w/o visa required
Case Western Metro Health - (fel4pccm)
Cedars-Sinai - 8/18
CPMC - 7/29 (fel4pccm, ajs321))
Geisinger
Loma Linda - 8/23
OHSU - 7/25 (fel4pccm)
Rutgers
Saint Elizabeth's - 8/19
Saint Louis University - 8/15 (Shwinn)
Temple - 8/5
UC Irvine - (ajs321)
UCLA/Harbor - 7/28 (hypnotiq), (ajs321)
UCSF Fresno - 8/23 (fel4pccm)
University of Cincinnati - 7/25 (Hiiii5)
University of Kentucky - 8/8
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri - 8/23 (Shwinn)
University of South Alabama
University of South Carolina (Pulm only) - 8/17 (Shwinn)
USC - 8/9 (Shwinn)
University of Tennessee Knoxville - 8/22
University of Toledo - 8/31

University of Virginia - 8/27

CCM only:

Cleveland Clinic - 8/15 (DocDox)
Baystate Medical Center - 7/26
Mayo Clinic - 8/10
Montefiore Medical Center (CCM only) - 8/2 (DocDox)
UPMC - 8/3, 8/8 (DocDox)

Pulm only:

Bridgeport
JHMC - 8/4 (Shwinn)
MSKCC/Cornell (fel4pccm)
Norwalk Hospital (Pulm only) - 8/31 (Shwinn)
Orlando Health (Pulm only) - 7/27 (Shwinn)
Southern Illinois University (Pulm only) - 8/26 (Shwinn)

IMG requiring visa
Allegheny General Hospital - 8/19 (anon!@#)
Baylor College of Medicine - 8/15 (anon!@#)
Bridgeport Yale - 8/18 (Anri of Astora, Lavage)
Brown - 8/22 (Anri of Astora)
Carilion Clinic/VT - 7/29 (anon!@#) 7/30 (Hiiiii5, Lavage), 8/5 (Ricardo2017)
Case Western Metro Health - 8/26 (IM3003)
Cedars-Sinai - 8/18 (Anri of Astora)
Cleveland Clinic - 8/1 (BABS_thehuman)
Cook County - 8/10 (CODEND, Lavage)
Dartmouth - 8/30 (Anri of Astora)
Eastern Virginia Medical School - 8/11 (anon!@#)
Henry Ford Hospital - 8/4 (shaidx)
Geisinger - 8/23 (Anri of Astora)
Loyola University 8/9 (anon!@#)
Medical College of Wisconsin - 7/25 (Ricardo2017, shaidx)
Montefiore - 8/1 (Anri of Astora)
Mt. Sinai - 7/28 (Anri of Astora), 8/8 (kokyuki)
NSLIJ - 8/24 (Anri of Astora, Lavage)
NYU - 8/19 (kokyuki), 8/28 (Anri of Astora)
OHSU - 8/11 (BABS_thehuman, CODEND)
Orlando Health- Pulm only- 7/27 (Lavage), 8/31
Penn State 7/28 (anon!@#)
Rush University - 8/12 (anon!@#)
Rutgers - 8/3 (Lavage, anon!@#)
St. Louis University - 8/23 (kokyuki)
SUNY Upstate - 8/24 (Lavage)
University of Alabama - 7/22 (kokyuki)
University of Arizona- 7/25 (Maddy1988)
University of Buffalo - 8/31 (Anri of Astora)
University of Cincinnati - 8/15 (anon!@#, kokyuki)
University of Iowa - 8/22 (anon!@#)
University of Kansas - 8/2 (anon!@#)
University of Kentucky- 8/15 (Lavage)
University of Miami - 7/29 (kokyuki)
University of Minnesota - 8/9 (Ricardo2017), 8/15 (anon!@#)
University of Missouri Columbia - 8/22 (kokyuki)
University of Nebraska - 8/5, 8/4, 8/24 (Ricardo2017, anon!@#, Anri of Astora)
University of Oklahoma - 8/10 (IM3003)
UPMC - 7/21 (BABS_thehuman), 8/12 (kokyuki)
University of South Alabama - 8/19 (Lavage)
University of Tennessee - 8/22, 8/24 (IM3003, Lavage)
UTMB - 8/8 (anon!@#)
University of Vermont - 8/5 (Comfort Care)
Vidant Medical Center - 8/8 (anon!@#)
Winthrop - 8/4 (Anri of Astora, anon!@#)
Yale - 8/26 (Anri of Astora)

CCM only: Mayo Clinic - 7/25 (Ricardo2017)
CCM only: University of New Mexico - 8/19
Pulm only: Harlem - 8/31
Pulm only: Jamaica - 8/31
Pulm only: Mayo Clinic - 7/25 (Anri of Astora)
Pulm only: MSKCC/Cornell - 8/26 (Anri of Astora)
Pulm only: Southern Illinois University - 8/12 (Lavage)
Pulm only: University of South Carolina- 8/17 (Lavage)

Rejections
Brigham & Women's - 8/25
Cedars-Sinai
Cornell - 8/30
Emory - 8/9, 8/18, 8/25
Geisinger
Loyola - 8/17
Mayo Clinic - 8/9, 8/18, 8/25
Mayo Pulm - 8/18
MGH - 8/29
Ohio State - 8/25
Saint Louis University - 8/2, 8/24
Stanford
UAB - 8/10
University of Alabama - 8/10
University of North Carolina - 8/18, 8/25
University of Pennsylvania - 8/9, 8/10, 8/25
University South Carolina - 8/18
USC
WashU - 7/19, 7/22
Yale - 8/26

Midway through interview season. Is it just me or are midwest programs underpaying fellows? Recently spoke with a first year in Chicago area making 48k...Yes they allow moonlighting 2nd year onwards but should I anticipate getting a costco card for cup of noodles like freshmen year of college again?

I am looking to the midwest for fellowship training and curious about other perspectives on this matter.

Not until I got on the interview trail did I realize that there were plenty of major fellowship programs that didn't have T32 funding in pulmonary, or the amount of funding is radically different than other comparable programs.

Obviously it's a big deal to have funding that allows a guaranteed 18mo, an extra year, etc., but I guess I'm wondering whether there are programs that simply don't use (or don't have to use) T32 dollars to reach that objective.

Examples: UVA, MUSC, Maryland, and Dartmouth (no T32s in pulmonary) . Are there in-house sources of funding that some of these Ivy/Public Ivy universities use in lieu of T32s? For example, BU has a pulmonary T32 that's >$1M (almost as big as Hopkins'), yet Mayo's pulmonary T32 is only $250k.

Am I reading into this too much? Are most of these research universities safe bets regardless of T32 status/amount?

Safe bets for what?

Midway through interview season. Is it just me or are midwest programs underpaying fellows? Recently spoke with a first year in Chicago area making 48k...Yes they allow moonlighting 2nd year onwards but should I anticipate getting a costco card for cup of noodles like freshmen year of college again?

I am looking to the midwest for fellowship training and curious about other perspectives on this matter.

How much were you expecting to make?

Your use of the terms "Ivy" and "Public Ivy" are concerning. What does undergrad institution have to do with fellowship applications? If your goal is to be an academic physician or physician researcher/scientist then you should be looking at objective data with regards to program resources and track record. There's a decent amount of info out there and I found many programs are pretty forthcoming about it though you may need to read between the lines a bit.

Your use of the terms "Ivy" and "Public Ivy" are concerning. What does undergrad institution have to do with fellowship applications? If your goal is to be an academic physician or physician researcher/scientist then you should be looking at objective data with regards to program resources and track record. There's a decent amount of info out there and I found many programs are pretty forthcoming about it though you may need to read between the lines a bit.
Admittedly sloppy terms, but "research university" is too broad in this setting, IMO. Almost every PCCM fellowship is housed within an institution branded as a "research university" and I def didn't want to get into the annual (monthly?) circle-jerk of "TOP TIER PROGRAMS"

What I meant was: these top flight institutions with massive endowments, endowed professorships/labs, endowed post-doc programs in every field imaginable, etc....are "those" universities simply not pursuing T32s all of the time? I'm just perplexed by programs that churn out a ton of papers AND academic docs (eg: MUSC and Maryland; I'm sure I could list plenty if I took time to cross-reference FREIDA with the grant database) yet don't have T32s listed on the NIH website.

And yeah, as you suggested, I've been asking about alumni outcomes (did they take a fourth year, where did they get their first post, K track record, etc). But like you said, there's some innuendo that comes into play.

I guess my question about T32s is more of a curiosity; I'm genuinely interested in why some of these places don't have them.

Last edited:
Admittedly sloppy terms, but "research university" is too broad in this setting, IMO. Almost every PCCM fellowship is housed within an institution branded as a "research university" and I def didn't want to get into the annual (monthly?) circle-jerk of "TOP TIER PROGRAMS"

What I meant was: these top flight institutions with massive endowments, endowed professorships/labs, endowed post-doc programs in every field imaginable, etc....are "those" universities simply not pursuing T32s all of the time? I'm just perplexed by programs that churn out a ton of papers AND academic docs (eg: MUSC and Maryland; I'm sure I could list plenty if I took time to cross-reference FREIDA with the grant database) yet don't have T32s listed on the NIH website.

And yeah, as you suggested, I've been asking about alumni outcomes (did they take a fourth year, where did they get their first post, K track record, etc). But like you said, there's some innuendo that comes into play.

I guess my question about T32s is more of a curiosity; I'm genuinely interested in why some of these places don't have them.

I've gotta disagree with your first point... I remember when I was applying the discussions of "top tier programs" was so sparse I actually had to ask jdh on the side because I simply couldn't find it.

I'm also still perplexed by your second point. It doesn't matter what's going on in other departments or a university as a whole. You need to be looking specifically at the pulm department. You keep mentioning Maryland and while they do provide 18 months of protected research time the main thing the program is known for is solid clinical training and not churning out academic physicians. To sustain a T32 you have to have the research infrastructure and be able to show consistent outcomes (fellows transitioning to faculty and getting their own funding). I think a good example to look at for what you're pondering is stanford which lost its T32.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Newark Beth Israel and Providence park Michigan iv

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know anything about Providence park Michigan?

Yesterday got interview from Nyp-queens

Looking to switch my interview at Cook County on Oct 5th for any other date. Please send me a PM!

Thoughts on Stony Brook PCCM? I got an interview invite but scheduling seems tougher than I anticipated. Looking for clinical experience including airways, ECMO. clinical research but not too interested in bench work. tranplant is +/-

Hey all, first few interviews down still some to go. Have interviewed at a couple that did not manage airways and would call anesthesia EVERY time. Coming from a residency where I would be managing airways without a fellow present on overnights, not sure what to do with this. I feel like it is a valuable skill to have when you get out in practice. For fellowship program is this a Deal breaker or no? Appreciate the input, thanks!

Hey all, first few interviews down still some to go. Have interviewed at a couple that did not manage airways and would call anesthesia EVERY time. Coming from a residency where I would be managing airways without a fellow present on overnights, not sure what to do with this. I feel like it is a valuable skill to have when you get out in practice. For fellowship program is this a Deal breaker or no? Appreciate the input, thanks!
Judging by your name on sdf it does sound like an important issue for you. Personally,I would rank a program lower if they don't do their own intubation.

Thanks IM3003, yeah the name isn't my finest work. But I'm pretty much on the same page, those programs that didn't manage their own airways moved lower on my list compared to similar quality programs who did.

I didn't apply to programs that didn't manage their own airways. You're going to be an intensivist. You should be able to manage most of your own airways confidently (and humbly).

It will be different decision for different people.

It's your career. You training. Decide what you want. If it research you are after prioritize your list. If it's experience with interventional procedures you are after prioritize your list. If you want every airway you can get prioritize your list.

Hi guys I need a favor. Is anyone interviewing at Lahey here? Can you dm me? Thanks

I have that similar reservation. Personally, airway is more important to me than research opportunities and thus prioritize as such. Another important point is where you are looking to practice. I am looking to practice outside of big cities at places that will likely not have anesthesia coverage and thus want to be able to manage airways and intubate.

How are people deciding whether or not to accept a ccm offer or wait to see if they match into pulm/ccm? Such a dilemma!

How are people deciding whether or not to accept a ccm offer or wait to see if they match into pulm/ccm? Such a dilemma!
I think if you have < 4 interviews and you are not getting great vibes from PDs you should consider the CCM offer. Doing Pulm after should be easy

I think if you have < 4 interviews and you are not getting great vibes from PDs you should consider the CCM offer. Doing Pulm after should be easy
Thanks for your input. I think I'll go with your advice.

Hey guys I just got interview from ny Methodist. That's crazy. Is this the first time they send out iv