Official Pulmonary Critical Care 2017-2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts on Colorado, Hopkins, Duke, Emory, UNC and BU?

Also, for those interested in a research career, how much emphasis are you putting on potential mentors at the institution vs the program as a whole?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, for those interested in a research career, how much emphasis are you putting on potential mentors at the institution vs the program as a whole?

I can't comment on those specific programs, but I have been told by multiple interviewers and division chiefs/PDs (currently on interview trail) that mentors are extremely important. They will basically make or break your chance at a grant. Im sure others can comment more specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)

Duke and Hopkins clearly above the rest. Obviously finding the right mentor is important but you want an institution with a lot of active investigators so you can find someone that best matches your clinical interests.

My fellowship application journey comes to an end. Accepted a pure CCM position yesterday at an awesome program! Best of luck to all those who are awaiting the match.

Which one would you rank number one between Stonybrook and Winthrop?

Colorado is classically one of the strongest pulmonary programs in the country. Denver is a great city. Duke is amazing and the city and weather are again awesome. Hopkins has a the caveat of extending your fellowship to a minimum of 4-5 years. And also depends on where you find strong mentors in the field you choose. For example nothing is better tha UNC if you want to specialize in Cystic fibrosis.
It was my understanding that Colorado took a big hit when it split with National Jewish. But maybe not.

Now that the ROL is due in just over 10 days, I am looking for some opinion/help from the SDN community for ranking opinions
My current top 4 contenders for PCCM are: Jackson memorial/U Miami , Northshore LIJ , Montefiore and Temple

Assuming location is not important and this is purely based on how much the program has to offer. any opinions ?

I really need help in ranking these programs
Unc
Osu
Cincinnati
Baylor Houston
Uf
Loyola
Nyu
Looking for a career strong clinically and good in education.

Thx

Members don't see this ad :)
I really need help in ranking these programs
Unc
Osu
Cincinnati
Baylor Houston
Uf
Loyola
Nyu
Looking for a career strong clinically and good in education.

Thx

I don't know much about NYU but as far as the other programs I would rank in the order you already have

Did you guys get a sample contract from Rutgers Newark, whoever interviewed there?

I'm losing sleep over my rank list.

I am an IMG on J1. I'd like to hear any thoughts on ranking these Pulm-Crit programs. I'm looking for a well rounded clinical program with a strong focus on academics to help with my long term goal of becoming a Clinical-Educator.

Henry ford
Loma Linda University
University of Oklahoma HSC
University of Tennessee Memphis
University of Arizona/Banner Pheonix
Medstar Washington Hospital Center

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am an IMG on J1. I'd like to hear any thoughts on ranking these Pulm-Crit programs. I'm looking for a well rounded clinical program with a strong focus on academics to help with my long term goal of becoming a Clinical-Educator.

Henry ford
Loma Linda University
University of Oklahoma HSC
University of Tennessee Memphis
University of Arizona/Banner Pheonix
Medstar Washington Hospital Center

Much appreciated!

You mentioned J1. Assuming your goal is to become a Clinical Educator in the US, you will have to look at the program which may assist you to get the H1, (assuming the J1 waiver accomplished) after completion of your fellowship.

Good Luck everyone. Don't forget to certify your ROLs.
:)

Everyone received an email from Winthrop today?

Reactions: 1 user
4 days to go... :nailbiting:
Its amazing that the wait is this long even with an automated match system.

4 days to go... :nailbiting:
Its amazing that the wait is this long even with an automated match system.
I know! Its a computer for goodness sake. I do not understand why we have to wait so long. I am sure the match has already been computed.

All the best everyone. May the force be with you!

do program directors get their match lists today like in residency?

do program directors get their match lists today like in residency?
I think everyone finds out tomorrow at Noon.

Heres what the NRMP website says for program directors :
"How will I know if my program(s) filled?
  • Main Residency Match® program and institutional users may use their username and password to access the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system on Monday of Match Week and obtain Match results. Matched applicant reports are released a few days later.
  • Specialties Matching Service® fellowship program and institutional users may use their username and password to access the R3 system at noon, Eastern Time on Match Day obtain Match results and related reports. Select "My Reports" and the Confidential Roster of Program's Matched Applicants to view the applicant(s) matched to your program."

Welp, I dropped to #4 on my list. I can’t be too upset since it’s a strong program, but I had REALLY been hoping for number 1 or 2.

How’s everyone else doing?

I dropped lower down my list to a safety. But hey better than not matching. At the end of the day, the certification is all that matters (for someone like me who will not be pursuing an academic job). Congrats to all who matched. For those who didn't, don't feel down. Do research and try again.

or do renal... PM me for an interesting story to learn more about this cryptic line...

I matched at my #4 as well!! I got love letters from #2 and #3 that they were impressed and all. I am happy that I matched and it’s a university program :)

#Matched at my 2nd try after doing a sleep fellowship if anyone needs encouragement.

We filled our 5 spots within the top 6 ranked applicants

Got my #1! Heading to New York very happy and unexpected

Got my #1 as well. so happy.
Congrats to everyone that matched!

3 places ranked, did not match unfortunately.
Can't say I'm not dissapointed, but I am ready to work as a hospitalist for a year and reapply next year... still feel like this is what I'm meant to do.

Congrats to everyone who matched

3 places ranked, did not match unfortunately.
Can't say I'm not dissapointed, but I am ready to work as a hospitalist for a year and reapply next year... still feel like this is what I'm meant to do.

Congrats to everyone who matched

Don't sweat it. I just matched on this cycle but worked for the last year as a hospitalist. I'll have been out 2 years by the time fellowship starts. It's great perspective and the $ is great if you want to pay loans, etc. Def try again and good luck!

I matched at my 7th choice. Match is very unpredictable and depends on internal dynamics- it depends if program decides on taking all their own that particular year or all externals only or mix. Internals are likely to stay in big universities (no matter how many promises you had). Im happy with my match thou its only a pulm only program and i had 4 pccm programs below it so it worked out well. I always have the option of doing crit later. Best of luck guys.

Its December so needless to say im squaring up for next years rounds. If anybody is still answering to this thread I have a few questions.

I am contemplating signing up for an unaccredited Hospitalist/CMM with 7 months of CCM and 5 months of hospitalist work in a low-mid tier program. I currently am an IMG-US Citizen from community program, with 2 manuscripts ( 1 review article and 1 restrospective study), 1 underway (another review article), to low impact journals (IF 2-4), 8-10 Case reports at both regional and national conferences, with about 5 being published online (not pubmed indexed), 1 metanalysis poster. This year I applied pretty late in the game and very narrowly (early August to 10 programs). Would it be worth my time doing this fellowship or should I rake in the cash for a year as a hospitalist and try again early next year?

PS the unaccredited programs salary is about double of a fellow, in case this should be a factor in the equation.

Its December so needless to say im squaring up for next years rounds. If anybody is still answering to this thread I have a few questions.

I am contemplating signing up for an unaccredited Hospitalist/CMM with 7 months of CCM and 5 months of hospitalist work in a low-mid tier program. I currently am an IMG-US Citizen from community program, with 2 manuscripts ( 1 review article and 1 restrospective study), 1 underway (another review article), to low impact journals (IF 2-4), 8-10 Case reports at both regional and national conferences, with about 5 being published online (not pubmed indexed), 1 metanalysis poster. This year I applied pretty late in the game and very narrowly (early August to 10 programs). Would it be worth my time doing this fellowship or should I rake in the cash for a year as a hospitalist and try again early next year?

PS the unaccredited programs salary is about double of a fellow, in case this should be a factor in the equation.

Don't waste your time with the unaccredited fellowship. I have never even heard of this. I would apply as widely as possible in the next cycle to give yourself the best chance of matching.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time with the unaccredited fellowship. I have never even heard of this. I would apply as widely as possible in the next cycle to give yourself the best chance of matching.

Thanks for the insight I will keep it in mind. Thanks!