Official Retake Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sultan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been noticing a lot of threads about people wanting to know what scores require a retake. So, i just thought it'd be a good idea to integrate everyone's thoughts about what should constituite a reasons to retake(including particular scores)

Before i start, i just want to throw out the disclaimer that the MCAT ( i believe) is only one of several factors considered during admission. So what i express here are simply my opinions or what i have heard. Furthermore, an application to med school represents a complete person; it is not a bunch of numbers. The unfortunate thing is that sometimes the numbers can prevent you from getting to the stage where your personality and individuality can shine. So whatever your score may be, keep trying and someday you will persevere.

Now:

- I have been told at several occasions that if u score in double digits in every section, you probably dont need to worry about your MCAT. Meaning: if u get rejected, the MCAT wont be the reason why.

- its not the overall score that matters, but the distribution in each section. So, a 10V, 10PS, 10 BS is better than a 6V, 12 PS, 12 BS.

- This one is very debatable, but a 8 in any indiviadual section could be reason to retake. I have often heard that adcoms like to see atleast 9's across the board.

Thats not much, but i am sure there are plenty of people on here with much better advice.

So lets have it people, what are your rules of thumb when it comes to retaking the MCAT???

I am especially curious about what people think about the in between scores (27, 28 and 29 with decent distribution)

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by the admissions office at MCG that you should probably re-take the test if you scored "less than 27", so it seems a 27 or higher is generally okay to them.

I agree with the Sultan about skewed scores. Last year I had a 29 MCAT (7,9,13) and the main reason schools rejected me was because of the variability in the individual scores. In Aug. I retook the MCAT and received a much more even score (atleast double digits in every section). I hope that my chances will improve this year with my new score. My friend last year had a 27 MCAT (8,9,10) and recieved more interviews than me even though my overall MCAT was higher so having a skewed score really hurts an applicant.:(

First time 30M (7V,11P,12B) didn't get in anywhere, but a classmate w/ 29M (9,10,10) and similiar gpa got into finch. Think it was my verbal, couldn't get foot in the door to see my individuality and personalty shine. Tried to tell them english is not my primary language. Second time took it 36M(9V,12P,15B), already accepted to school, would definetly say at least a 9 in each section is good and an 8 is pushing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by qac DO
First time 30M (7V,11P,12B) didn't get in anywhere, but a classmate w/ 29M (9,10,10) and similiar gpa got into finch. Think it was my verbal, couldn't get foot in the door to see my individuality and personalty shine. Tried to tell them english is not my primary language. Second time took it 36M(9V,12P,15B), already accepted to school, would definetly say at least a 9 in each section is good and an 8 is pushing it.

How did you get such great science scores????:eek:
Wanna take my test for me??? there is a shinny quarter in for ya....? Fine, I'll throw in a extra dollar.:rolleyes:

If you want to talk to someone with great science scores, then talk to CrazyA, DrKevin40, or DrDodgerDog. They had scores of at least 14,15; 14,15; 14,15 respectively. (They also had MCAT composites of at least a 40!:eek: )

Originally posted by dpark74
If you want to talk to someone with great science scores, then talk to CrazyA, DrKevin40, or DrDodgerDog. They had scores of at least 14,15; 14,15; 14,15 respectively. (They also had MCAT composites of at least a 40!:eek: )
I bow down to all those with over 40 composites, dats on the real yo.

I'm all about doing the re-take. I went through MCAT hell the first round, fire alarm went off during my verbal. It was a pre-med's nightmare! Some of my advisors said to just write letters explaining the situation since the rest of my scores were pretty good. I re-took the test mostly cause I was so mad that the MCAT office refused to believe that a re-test was warranted. I raised my score 7 points overall and came out with 9-13-12 R. I'm applying to a variety of schools but am holding out for a top tier (I hope!). If there is any doubt in your mind about whether you did your best the first time, RE-TAKE the test. If you study, you will not be sorry, although the MCAT office might. (heehee)
good luck

Originally posted by doctamon
I was told by the admissions office at MCG that you should probably re-take the test if you scored "less than 27", so it seems a 27 or higher is generally okay to them.

umm...no

a 27 is NOT "generally okay to them". First off it depends what schools you're appling to. Secondly, is the 27 balanced or did you get a 12, 11, 4?

If the scores are balanced, and you're applying to a lower ranked school:

a 28 is questionable
a 29 is borderline and you have a decent shot.
With a 30 you'll most likely be accepted somewhere.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that schools will "settle" for lower scores. Don't listen to what "some guy" in the admissions office said.

The fact of the matter is that schools are inundated with more than enough applicants with good scores. The fact of the matter is that they can't accept them all.

The bottom line is why take an applicant with bad scores when you can take one with good scores?

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask for advice about my score improvement but I really worried. I was scoreing in the high twenties last summer before I took my official MCAT and got a 23 (ps7, vr6, bs10). I was working over forty hours a week, did really poorly in my physics and organic classes, and had only taken one accelerated chemistry class. Since then, I retook organic and actually love it now, took the extra gen chem class I needed, and have been studying all summer. My full lengths this summer have all been 28 except one random 33 (11 on each section, the highest I have ever scored all together and individually). The verbal is keeping me down (usually 8 or 9). Is it unrealistic for me to think I could score ps12, vr11, and bs13? I heard schools average your MCAT scores and if so, I need a 36 to have a competitive 29-30 average. Any advice? Thanks (sorry so long)

Status
Not open for further replies.