OFFICIAL Rochester Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ashabee4 said:
So there IS a list of first years looking for roommates? I'm not sure if I met Gracie at my interview but have heard a lot of people mention her. Who is she exactly? I'd definitely like to get on that list though.

Gracie is the nicest. She's the secretary for the admissions office, so if you're hanging out in the area where all of the students meet before interviews, she's the one with the big desk. Get to know her (she'll know you probably), because she's so helpful. If you want to chat, she's always up for it. She can hook you up with office supplies. All sorts of good things.

As for the list, definitely a great resource. If you don't see what you like right now, check back periodically, as it will change. People come off the wait list, other people just suddenly decide that they should include themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Mixtli said:
Hmm... I just got my financial award statement and I got 0 grant aid and ~15% subsized loans. According to the MSAR they said the average scholarship/grant aid was 18K. The estimated cost of attendance for Rochester this year is ~54K. Since Rochester is the only school I got anything from the financial aid office, I'm wondering for those who got packages before, is 54K considered a lot for a decent out-of-state school? Wondering because 54x4 years + undergrad debt (20K) = :eek: .

I too, was surprised that the cost of attendance was 54K. I'm going to cut back on the unsubsidized loans if I can. Tuition is tuition, but I may get a cheap APT ($400/month) to reduce the cost of living. I wonder if there are many outside scholarships that medical students are eligible for.

Does the Financial Aid consider employment in the summer before matriculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
WayChanger said:
Have you logged into the Orientation website yet? The list of people looking for roommates and stuff is there.

I'm assuming you mean the applicant site where you can check your status? Sorry, I haven't even received my acceptance packet yet so I'm not sure if this is the one. Anyway, I checked the applicant site and it appears they haven't even updated my status yet, so I don't really have access to anything.

ashabee4 said:
I'm assuming you mean the applicant site where you can check your status? Sorry, I haven't even received my acceptance packet yet so I'm not sure if this is the one. Anyway, I checked the applicant site and it appears they haven't even updated my status yet, so I don't really have access to anything.

That sucks, hopefully they'll update you soon - there a lot of useful information on the orientation site.

And yay for people being on this thread! I got my acceptance in the fall, made my decision in March, and have been patiently waiting to talk to my classmates since. Anyway, I'll be brave and introduce myself first ... hopefully a few of you will join in. I'm a 22 yo chica from PA, just graduated from PSU with a degree in pre-medicine. I took the summer off from work/research to relax and do some local volunteer work ... now I'm just a bum who goes on SDN everyday :laugh:

I'll follow your lead - I'm Ashley - 21 year old female from Cooperstown, NY. I just graduated from Syracuse University with a BS in biochem. I'll be relaxing for most of the summer and taking some road trips to visit friends. Also, I'll be trying to find a roommate (or roommates) and a place to live next year. So I guess there is no better time than this to ask if anyone else is also looking for a roommate? I was finally able to look at the list of housing options on the orientation site, but there didn't seem to be any first years. Perhaps I'll post something myself...

etudiante04 said:
I too, was surprised that the cost of attendance was 54K. I'm going to cut back on the unsubsidized loans if I can. Tuition is tuition, but I may get a cheap APT ($400/month) to reduce the cost of living. I wonder if there are many outside scholarships that medical students are eligible for.

Does the Financial Aid consider employment in the summer before matriculation?

As to the first, that's about right. I think that after almost a year of being here, I'll be about at that level. To be fair, there are also a lot of people who I'm almost sure are above and below that figure, so it depends on your lifestyle too.

As for scholarships, most of those deadlines have passed for the upcoming year, but there are a few out there depending on what you want your future career to look like and your background.

Larsitron said:
As to the first, that's about right. I think that after almost a year of being here, I'll be about at that level. To be fair, there are also a lot of people who I'm almost sure are above and below that figure, so it depends on your lifestyle too.

As for scholarships, most of those deadlines have passed for the upcoming year, but there are a few out there depending on what you want your future career to look like and your background.

Thanks!

Larsitron said:

Hey, thought I'd join in the fray. Long-time lurker, but I'm currently holding UR as my acceptance. Am I the only ***** out there who hasn't filled out the financial aid stuff? I received a Dean's Scholarship, but assume I won't hear anything else 'til I get that in.

veddhead said:
Hey, thought I'd join in the fray. Long-time lurker, but I'm currently holding UR as my acceptance. Am I the only ***** out there who hasn't filled out the financial aid stuff? I received a Dean's Scholarship, but assume I won't hear anything else 'til I get that in.

Depending on how much the Dean's scholarship is, you may not need financial aid. Doesn't hurt to try though!

veddhead said:

Hey Veddhead, didn't I meet you on your interview day?

Well, I'm sure that I had class that day. I was the one first year looking for people from AZ.

Members don't see this ad :)
ashabee4 said:
I'll follow your lead - I'm Ashley - 21 year old female from Cooperstown, NY. I just graduated from Syracuse University with a BS in biochem. I'll be relaxing for most of the summer and taking some road trips to visit friends. Also, I'll be trying to find a roommate (or roommates) and a place to live next year. So I guess there is no better time than this to ask if anyone else is also looking for a roommate? I was finally able to look at the list of housing options on the orientation site, but there didn't seem to be any first years. Perhaps I'll post something myself...

Did you try the on-campus housing lottery?

Larsitron said:
Well, I'm sure that I had class that day. I was the one first year looking for people from AZ.

Oh Yeah! I remember you. You had glasses and reddish hair, right? Stripe shirt as I remember. I even have your email address somewhere. Didn't know any current students were sizing us up on this forum!

veddhead said:
Oh Yeah! I remember you. You had glasses and reddish hair, right? Stripe shirt as I remember. I even have your email address somewhere. Didn't know any current students were sizing us up on this forum!

Oh, there's a few. I know of at least two others who have actively posted. One is a rising third year and the other is this really awesome chick in my class (Galina...are you still reading?).

Larsitron said:
Oh, there's a few. I know of at least two others who have actively posted. One is a rising third year and the other is this really awesome chick in my class (Galina...are you still reading?).

Galina sounds like a Lithuanian name--am I right?

veddhead said:
Galina sounds like a Lithuanian name--am I right?

actually, my name is Russian :)

FYI for people who received no scholarships, try calling the office and explaining your situation. I ended up getting some grants after complaining a bit :p

tinkerbelle said:
actually, my name is Russian :)

FYI for people who received no scholarships, try calling the office and explaining your situation. I ended up getting some grants after complaining a bit :p

Galina!!! Lars!!! WOOO!!! Yea...I'm studying stupid micro in a PBL room at 2 in the morning...slayer.

Ssh...ssh...you'll scare the incoming first years...

Rzarecta said:
Geez Galina, 2000+ posts? Impressive, are you an SDN oracle?

So back to the incoming Class of 2010, as the thread was started for them... if anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm the rising 3rd year that Lars mentioned. Studying for the boards right now, so I welcome any opportunity to interrupt studying.

bauies said:
So back to the incoming Class of 2010, as the thread was started for them...

aw, lighten up :p

Geez Galina, 2000+ posts? Impressive, are you an SDN oracle?

Yeah, i don't know how that happened. I think maybe 5 of those posts were made after i got to med school...

Hope y'all enjoy your summer! Let us know if you come to Rochester early and need ideas on what to do or where to get groceries and all that stuff. Hopefully you'll get the blue book soon :)

did you guys register your car/renew drivers license in NY state? Or did you maintain former state status for everything. Thanks

I've maintained my AZ resident status. Basically, that's where I'm connected to, and I see myself going back after I've finished my training. As far as my car registration goes, that's a problem I've not figured out yet. I'm thinking of taking a rapid road trip to get it re-registered in AZ and my license is good until 2047 (I'll be 65). Basically, AZ is my home state, I want to go back there without a lot of hassle, I vote in AZ because my vote matters there more, my state taxes are lower, etc.

bauies said:
So back to the incoming Class of 2010, as the thread was started for them... if anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm the rising 3rd year that Lars mentioned. Studying for the boards right now, so I welcome any opportunity to interrupt studying.

Yes as you can see, some of the "rising 3rd years" are really cool . Refer to my sig if you need any help with this one bauies.

Anyways, I am entering 2nd year in the fall and also went to undergrad in Rochester, so feel free to ask any questions about where to live, good places to eat, to go out, etc.

etudiante04 said:
did you guys register your car/renew drivers license in NY state? Or did you maintain former state status for everything. Thanks

I also maintained my state residence, especially since I can save a ton on the insurance. If you see any financial benefit to switching, or want to live here in the future, then it could be a consideration. If not, then don't sweat it.

so what's the deal with PDAs? Do people use them first year? Are you at a disadvantage if you don't have a new one third year?

I ask because my cell phone contact is about to be up, and I would LOVE to get a Treo (for a billion un-med school related reasons), but if everyone gets new PDAs their third year and no one uses them first year, then I will wait (impatiently).

What do you guys think?

whoknows2010 said:
so what's the deal with PDAs? Do people use them first year? Are you at a disadvantage if you don't have a new one third year?

I ask because my cell phone contact is about to be up, and I would LOVE to get a Treo (for a billion un-med school related reasons), but if everyone gets new PDAs their third year and no one uses them first year, then I will wait (impatiently).

What do you guys think?

I didn't use a PDA my first year. I got one half-way through 2nd year. Mostly I use it for scheduling right now, but it's good to have it before you begin 3rd year so that you can get used to the programs, knowing where you can get various bits of information, etc. And of course, if the lecture isn't the greatest, there's always the games.

I don't think that PDAs will get dramatically better in the two years, such that you would benefit from waiting. OF course, if your cell contract is almost up, you could consider getting the Motorola Q. Apparently they'll have it for Verizon (probably super expensive). In terms of cell phone companies to have, I definitely have found Verizon's coverage to be superior to Sprint (although customer service with Verizon is supposed to suck, but I haven't experienced this personally). But it could have just been my junky old phone on Sprint.

As far as a disadvantage for 3rd year if you don't wait, I don't think that's the case. While the newest models will have updated specs on internal memory, processor speed, etc. you should be served with something that's not necessarily brand-new-top-of-the-line-costing-you-$600. I got mine off E-bay. An older Dell model, and I think it should work out fine.

I don't think too many first years bothered buying PDAs. The ones that did sometimes used it to look up drugs in PBL and to study some anatomy (they downloaded anatomy flashcards), and of course there are the obvious functions like scheduling etc.

Like bauies, a lot of us are waiting to buy PDAs until mid-second year. But if you want one now, then just go for it. I don't think it matters much. Check out the technology forum... people there might have better advice on whether an old PDA is a no-no for 3rd year rotations.

did you guys register your car/renew drivers license in NY state? Or did you maintain former state status for everything.

My car & license are still registered in Maryland. Since I have no intention of living in Rochester after I graduate, I didn't see the point of get NY plates etc.

tinkerbelle said:
My car & license are still registered in Maryland. Since I have no intention of living in Rochester after I graduate, I didn't see the point of get NY plates etc.

Rzarecta said:
If you see any financial benefit to switching, or want to live here in the future, then it could be a consideration. If not, then don't sweat it.

Like Rzarecta said, there can be a financial benefit to switching. For my fellow Californians, Welcome to the Empire State. In general, I think car insurance can be lower here than back home (possibly the same for people from other big cities like Boston). And I know that registering my car here was cheaper than in California. It ends up costing about 1/2 as much per year. Not that $50 is massive savings, but ever penny counts.

And like Lars said, voting matters. Unless you're voting for the President, and don't live in a swing state. Of course, you should always vote anyway. However, while national elections may not be a big factor, you may have some local issue that comes up for a vote that you want to have a say in. I can't think of a good example, but it is the one potential argument for voter registration in your new home for 4 (or 7+ for MD/PhD) years.

I actually bought a PDA, but that's because I'm a techno-dork. Though, to my credit, I don't wear it on my belt. I use it for scheduling, drug info, and some basic disease stuff. It helped me not fall on my face in my ACE preceptorship because I was able to know why the patient was taking certain drugs, what the side effects were, and how that related to their disease processes.

that's a good point. PDAs are great for ACE. Considering you go into an office before you know much pathology/pharmacology, even basics from sources like 5-minute clinical consult (one of the many free offerings on the Miner web site) are helpful. and then there's things like epocrates (also free, but stripped down version of a pay-for app) for pharmaceuticals.

First year ACE is supposed to be all about prevention and seeing the normal, but invariably there will be some pathology that you have to deal with.

Oh, and for those wondering whether to get Palm or PocketPC, I don't think it matters much. Like Galina said, maybe check with the tech forums. I personally use a Pocket PC, and I have everything I need. Some people prefer Palm. But I've heard Palm is switching up its OS. so who knows, really.

Eh, I dunno...I would say that the Palm OS is the more universal of the two and much easier to use if you're a mac based person. However, that's a tech question that you can ask in the tech forums or I can address here if people would like.

Oh, and as far as ACE, its supposed to be about prevention, but prevention is practiced in the context of an acute/follow-up visit setting 99 percent of the time. In my adult medicine ACE office (you get half the semester with pediatrics and half with adult medicine) I only saw people there for acute visits or follow-ups with chronic problems. So, it was really nice to be able to look up their disease/complaint and their meds to figure out what was going wrong because invariably the preceptor would ask me about it. And, to be fair, it was those conversations that made my preceptor's office awesome. You can only talk about colon cancer screening so often...

Hi guys, just wanted to say hello, I will be joining you guys in the new class this august!

Couple things:

1) wanted to see if there are any nontrads out there. I'll be going-on 28 when school starts and am hoping that I'm not the only old fart out there!

2) my sig other and i won't be able to get up to rochester until about mid july to start apartment hunting (for august 1 move in). that shouldn't be a problem, will it?

3) neighborhood suggestions, anyone? i don't mind up to a 20 minute drive, i'd like an apartment with character, charm, etc, and would like to be close to restaurants, bars, and a place to jog. i feel like park ave area fits the bill except for lack of jogging places. any suggestions? i don't know the area well.

4) anyone know about the health insurance we are supposed to get? when we sign up for it, and also...does it cover any dental stuff?

lots of random questions, yes, but i just got in several weeks ago and am trying to handle all this stuff while abroad!

anyway, hello to all and can't wait to meet you!

welcome foodlover :)

foodlover said:
1) wanted to see if there are any nontrads out there. I'll be going-on 28 when school starts and am hoping that I'm not the only old fart out there!

If your class is anything like mine, you'll have a bunch of nontrads. Like half of us took at least a year or two off before coming to med school. The oldest people in our class are 34 or 35.

2) my sig other and i won't be able to get up to rochester until about mid july to start apartment hunting (for august 1 move in). that shouldn't be a problem, will it? 3) neighborhood suggestions, anyone? i don't mind up to a 20 minute drive, i'd like an apartment with character, charm, etc, and would like to be close to restaurants, bars, and a place to jog. i feel like park ave area fits the bill except for lack of jogging places. any suggestions? i don't know the area well.

Since you don't mind driving to school, you should still be able to find a place in mid July. I'm not that familar with the best apartments/areas to live in, so I'll let someone else comment on that stuff. I know we're putting together a guide with info on good places to live, but I'm not when it's coming out.

4) anyone know about the health insurance we are supposed to get? when we sign up for it, and also...does it cover any dental stuff?

Here's the website for our student health insurance. It should give you a decent idea of our benefits etc.

http://www.rochester.edu/uhs/

I believe I signed up for health insurance during orientation (since you need your student ID number in order to do it). The health coverage is ok. The only complaint a lot of us have is about drug coverage. If you use the hospital pharmacy, you do get a discount on your drugs. Also, after you pay the first $50 for your meds, the school will pay for the rest, up till $250.

Our health plan does not cover dental. However, you can buy a separate dental plan (for ~$215). This plan covers routine visits, cleanings, xrays, filling cavities, and maybe a few other things. It does not cover any of the expensive stuff like root canals. There will be more detailed info about the plan on the UHS website. The dental center is right behind the hospital, so it is fairly convenient. But they are super inefficient and it takes a while to get an appointment.

foodlover said:
neighborhood suggestions, anyone? i don't mind up to a 20 minute drive, i'd like an apartment with character, charm, etc, and would like to be close to restaurants, bars, and a place to jog. i feel like park ave area fits the bill except for lack of jogging places. any suggestions? i don't know the area well.

The park ave area is definitely going to fit the bill. I lived across from the art gallery for my first two years. close to bars, so you can walk on nights when you go out with classmates, your sig other, etc. and there are a few great restaurants in the area. Or you can go a little more toward the heart of the park ave district near park and oxford, or park and berkeley. especially the latter is close to a nice small restaurant area, a few coffee shops, a good bakery, wine store, you name it.

I really liked living in the park ave area, and we're only moving out of the area because we were able to find a great place in the white coat ghetto. one thing that can be said about a lot of the apartments in rochester is that I feel that what you get is highly variable. there are some places that are very nice, with lots of work put into them. other areas aren't so nice, and are on the low end, more for undergrads who want a party house. and of course, the landlords can vary. ask landlords if you can get references to ask questions like how responsive they are to repairs. for instance our landlord isn't necessarily the best guy to rent from. decent place, but he doesn't put much effort into the house to make it a truly great place to live. odds are, most places will be nice, but just keep that factor in mind.

as far as jogging, there are actually some decent areas to run in. you have to go on the streets, but a lot of the areas are pretty quiet, with very little traffic. it's pretty easy to get a nice 3+ mile circuit, and could easily extend to 5 if you're really into jogging. east ave and park ave are generally filled with runners and people walking dogs during nice days. and for the other 300 (just kidding) there's always the med center gym or the undergrad gym (which is free). if you're more into running on the waterfront, the white coat ghetto is fairly close to genessee valley park, or the canal, which both have nice trails you can run on.

if you have any other questions, just shout em out. welcome to the ROC.

hey, thanks for the responses! i will check out the medical benefits link.

honestly, i can´t wait to get up there and looking for a place! Did any of you have problems being students (i.e. no income) and getting approved for an apartment? do most landlords require cosigners or is it enough to show them that you´re gonna have a bunch of loans covering expenses? i´m used to nyc renting, which is insane to get approved, even with a job.

one other question, parking...how much is it and do i sign up during orientation or should i do something about that now?

foodlover said:
honestly, i can´t wait to get up there and looking for a place! Did any of you have problems being students (i.e. no income) and getting approved for an apartment? do most landlords require cosigners or is it enough to show them that you´re gonna have a bunch of loans covering expenses? i´m used to nyc renting, which is insane to get approved, even with a job.

I haven't had someone ask for a co-signer yet. But I've only had one landlord who had been renting to my former roommates for multiple years, so he knew that the rent would come in. And my new landlord is a doc who understands our financial situation. But I've never heard anyone mention this to me. Maybe others have a different experience.

one other question, parking...how much is it and do i sign up during orientation or should i do something about that now?

You can take care of parking during orientation. You may have to pay to park in a visitor lot the first day that you come, but then you have time to go down to parking and get your sticker. I don't remember exact amounts, but I think parking for the year is $250, or somewhere around there.

This does remind me that a good hint for those of you who will be in Rochester before the week of orientation: pre-registration is a godsend. You can come in to student services any time they're open the week before registration really begins. You can get your ID, pay for parking, etc. Be sure to bring multiple forms of ID (the school will send you a document explaining what's acceptable), and your checkbook, as parking can't be put on your term bill. Gives you that much more free time during orientation to meet some of your fellow classmates.

I had to have a co-signer for my new apartment. Last year I was renting from a classmate and her family, but now that I'm renting at a more established complex, they asked for a cosigner.

When do most people move in/settle down in Rochester??

I think most people arrived maybe a week before classes? I came in about 6 weeks early because that's when I could get my parents' help with moving.

How do people stay fit in Rochester. I mean, its cold most of the time, right? That encourages people like me to stay indoors. Do you guys use a gym membership?

Wow, tinkerbelle, what part of MD are you from?

etudiante04 said:
When do most people move in/settle down in Rochester??

Like Lars said, a lot of us moved in a week before Orientation, but some of my friends moved in the day before. So it's really up to you.

How do people stay fit in Rochester. I mean, its cold most of the time, right? That encourages people like me to stay indoors. Do you guys use a gym membership?

There is a gym in the school/hospital. It costs like $50/semester. But beware, it is probably the crappiest gym I've ever seen. The undergrad campus has a really nice gym, so you could walk over there to work out. I think the buffer guys usually do that. Vin works out a lot, so he can give you a better idea of the equipment. I actually just bought an elliptical so I can workout at home. I find that I work out more often with equipment in my room.

Regarding computers, is it really necessary to have a 2.4 GHz processor (as suggested on the orientation site)? I'm buying a laptop, but I'm planning on getting a 1.66 GHz. Are there any school-specific programs that require such power?

Those are just guidelines. Basically you need something that can run most internet applications with ease.

I would say this though: get something that'll last. A lot of people go for the cheap computer and end up nickle and diming themselves in another cheap computer after a year or two and when you combine the price of both you get a solid machine.