OFFICIAL Rochester Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tinkerbelle said:
There is a gym in the school/hospital. It costs like $50/semester. But beware, it is probably the crappiest gym I've ever seen. The undergrad campus has a really nice gym, so you could walk over there to work out. I think the buffer guys usually do that. Vin works out a lot, so he can give you a better idea of the equipment. I actually just bought an elliptical so I can workout at home. I find that I work out more often with equipment in my room.

In defense of the gym at the hospital, it's not terrible. It has its benefits. For instance, it's always open. So if you're on a rotation, and can't make it to the undergrad gym during their normal hours, you can go to the hospital gym.

However, tinkerbelle is correct that the undergrad gym is much nicer. They have indoor everything. Basketball, soccer, track, swimming, tennis, squash, raquetball, volleyball, badminton, can't think of other sports. And the weight room is pretty awesome. There are at least 2 of every machine, plenty of free weights. Decent aerobic machines. But of course there's a lot of competition for all those machines, as the entire undergrad population uses that gym.

One other nice thing about the hospital gym is that they have sports leagues, like indoor soccer. If you aren't a member, you have to pay extra to be allowed to have swipe priveledges. And on Sunday nights, there's a regular game of pick-up basketball. In the past, it has been organized as an inter-class competition, but for the past 2 years, that hasn't happened for some reason. Maybe next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that a 3rd year asking for a pounding by the 2nd years?

Larsitron said:
Is that a 3rd year asking for a pounding by the 2nd years?

Nope. I suck at basketball. And if these incoming students come to the gym on Sunday nights, they'll probably get to see my gracelessness in action. Hopefully there will be a good contingent, as basketball is always a good interclass competition. Unlike softball.

Not to dwell too much on this, but it really is a good time. You get to meet some 3rd and 4th years, who you may not have a lot of contact with, as we're generally pretty busy with rotations, and you all are pretty busy with learning basic sciences. You may even meet some of the MD/PhDs who are in their research years. And it's always a great workout. For all of the hoopsters out there, bring your A game. You're going to need it. Just not against me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Ooh! Not long to go now hey? :D So when is everyone arriving?

Was just looking at the bluebook and was interested to read that it recommends to buy a place instead of renting. Just curious to find out if anyone has bought a place, or know of anyone? very interesting...

Lots of my classmates bought a place this summer, but I would say the good real estate has been pretty well snapped up by now. I mean, there were houses in the white coat ghetto (the neighborhood nearest to the school/med center) that would go on the market and be gone within 24-48 hours.

As far as the bluebook goes, I'm the 2nd year that's in charge of updating it, so you should be able to look forward to a new and updated version of it by the middle of July.

Larsitron said:
Lots of my classmates bought a place this summer, but I would say the good real estate has been pretty well snapped up by now. I mean, there were houses in the white coat ghetto (the neighborhood nearest to the school/med center) that would go on the market and be gone within 24-48 hours.

:eek: WOW! The sellers must be laughing! How much do houses go for in that area?

Larsitron said:
As far as the bluebook goes, I'm the 2nd year that's in charge of updating it, so you should be able to look forward to a new and updated version of it by the middle of July.

Fantastic! The bluebook has been such a great help!

I'm coming to rochester b'f august 7 (prematriculation) I just got an apartment in Goler. I hope Goler has great facilities. Arrrrgh, now its time to arrange my move. Does anyone know anything else about Goler?

amberez said:
:eek: WOW! The sellers must be laughing! How much do houses go for in that area?

Hey, I am one of those buyers. Houses in the white coat can go anywhere from $110,000-150,000. A few houses are still available, as one on my street just came on the market. If you look, be advised that there are a few rules that go with buying in the white coat. First, always subtract the number of bedrooms listed by one. There is almost always a tiny room that no one would ever rent/live in usually made for a young child. Also, most places only have one bathroom, and if you are lucky may also include another half-bathroom (toilet and sink). And, be prepared to shell out a few more grand to replace part of a roof.

An owner in the white coat won't have a problem selling the house, as Lars stated turn around is very quick. I think my main reason(s) for buying a house are that I hate moving, I am getting a pet, it builds some equity, and it gives me my own space. I am living with another second year, and between us I am paying about the same in terms of mortgage as I was for a 2 bedroom apartment. Though, I didn't have to fix the roof, mow the lawn, and landscape at the apartment...

etudiante04 said:
I'm coming to rochester b'f august 7 (prematriculation) I just got an apartment in Goler. I hope Goler has great facilities. Arrrrgh, now its time to arrange my move. Does anyone know anything else about Goler?

Do you have any specific questions about Goler? There is no gym in Goler itself, but the med center is a short walk away. In terms of the kitchen, it is smallish yet still practical. Also, there is a dishwasher, which is always a plus. The place itself is decent, but I really think it depends on you. Some of my classmates were great at decorating their places, while others' lack thereof reminded me of undergraduate dorms.

Oh Vinny, you're so kind. I didn't live in Goler either, but I'd compare the lack of decorating more to a cross between communist built apartments and a medium security prison.

Rzarecta said:
Do you have any specific questions about Goler? There is no gym in Goler itself, but the med center is a short walk away. In terms of the kitchen, it is smallish yet still practical. Also, there is a dishwasher, which is always a plus. The place itself is decent, but I really think it depends on you. Some of my classmates were great at decorating their places, while others' lack thereof reminded me of undergraduate dorms.

do the other grad housing locations have diswashers too?

amberez said:
Hello! Ooh! Not long to go now hey? :D So when is everyone arriving?

Was just looking at the bluebook and was interested to read that it recommends to buy a place instead of renting. Just curious to find out if anyone has bought a place, or know of anyone? very interesting...

Hey, gonna be moving in at the end of July and looking forward to it. Just signed for a great rental just off East Ave!

Rzarecta said:
Also, there is a dishwasher, which is always a plus.

Actually, Goler apartments don't have a dishwasher. Perhaps you meant a washer/dryer? The laundry facilites (located on the ground floor) are fairly new, but it's a tad bit expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be moving into Goler on August 1. Anyone know much about Goler studios, like what furnishings come with them? I don't want to drag up stuff only to find it in the apartment already!

Now, on to textbooks. Everyone suggests talking to upperclassmen before buying any required/recommended books. I know everyone learns/studies differently and what works for one individual might not for another. With this in mind, any general reccomendations as to what books you found to be essential, somewhat helpful, useless, etc?

That stuff is going to be covered in the Blue Book that will be coming out in a beta form (i.e. electronic and still under the editing process) in the second week of July.

I would reccomend buying nothing until you actually get here and see what the courses are like.

I have a two bedroom apt in Goler, and I will be a first year student. How can I get a roommate? Any females looking for a place Goler (on-campus, furnished, very close to the med school, ~$350/month)? PM me. thanks

Too late, I now have a roommate

etudiante04 said:
I have a two bedroom apt in Goler, and I will be a first year student. How can I get a roommate?

Did you already e-mail Gracie saying you need a roommate? I know she sends out an e-mail early in the summer... but maybe she'll send out another one if you ask her.

It's too bad you're not already in Goler. Grad students who want to move in here always put up signs on the Goler bulletin boards. You could also try posting "roommate wanted ads" on the UR off-campus housing site. Just beware you'll probably get one or two of those annoying scam e-mails.

thirdgen_doc said:
I'll be moving into Goler on August 1. Anyone know much about Goler studios, like what furnishings come with them? I don't want to drag up stuff only to find it in the apartment already!

hey y'all...hope you are all enjoying yr summer, like i am. Anyway to i am a second year and i have a goler studio appt. Its very comfortable for me, but some classmates do think it's small. As far as furniture is concerned, You get a round dining table, a bed, a bedside, a big dresser with 4 huge drawers, 2 chairs. There are 2 in-built closets. On the kitchen side, the fridge is on the smaller end, and so i bought a fridge/freezer. I also bought a teachers desk which i use to work/study on, and a bookshelf. I however suggest you move in and hen decide what you want to buy.

hope that helped...

Aunali
(currently in Mombasa, Kenya :)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just got off the waitlist!! I totally did not see this coming. I'm ecstatic but nervous too. Any input on housing (I want to get graduate housing, but isn't it too late?) or when orientation starts ( I can't seem to find that online) or when the white coat ceremony is?

Sorry for all these questions, my mind is churning with excitement. :)

oserrever said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I just got off the waitlist!! I totally did not see this coming. I'm ecstatic but nervous too. Any input on housing (I want to get graduate housing, but isn't it too late?) or when orientation starts ( I can't seem to find that online) or when the white coat ceremony is?

Sorry for all these questions, my mind is churning with excitement. :)

Congrats oserrever :)! The applicant portal (https://admissions.urmc. rochester.edu/studentlogin.cfm) has an orientation site for accepted students. You should be able to find all the info. there, but in case you can't log in immediately:

The lottery for graduate housing has passed, but there are a ton of listings for apartments/roommates on the orientation site. You should have no problem finding suitable housing.

Orientation starts on August 14th and the White Coat Ceremony is August 18th.

thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I was curious, how much time do I have before I need to accept Rochester's offer? I know I cannot be on two school lists at once, but I'm not sure about the time frame given for decisions when you get off of a waitlist.

oserrever said:
thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I was curious, how much time do I have before I need to accept Rochester's offer? I know I cannot be on two school lists at once, but I'm not sure about the time frame given for decisions when you get off of a waitlist.

Call Dr. Hansen and ask him when you have to give him a decision (that's what I did). And I got a few extra days by asking if I could wait till I saw my UR finiancial aid package.

Just called Pat Samuelson today and confirmed that I will be coming to Rochester. I'm extremely excited, but also a little sad as I will be a good 6 hour drive and 40 minute flight from my family and my boyfriend. I'm not sure how we will both handle long distance relationship.

oserrever said:
Just called Pat Samuelson today and confirmed that I will be coming to Rochester. I'm extremely excited, but also a little sad as I will be a good 6 hour drive and 40 minute flight from my family and my boyfriend. I'm not sure how we will both handle long distance relationship.

Don't worry, you won't be alone. There are people in my class who are far away from family and doing LD relationships. It'll be hard, but people in my class seem to be figuring out ways to see their significant others during the year. Is your bf at another school or is he working?

tinkerbelle said:
Don't worry, you won't be alone. There are people in my class who are far away from family and doing LD relationships. It'll be hard, but people in my class seem to be figuring out ways to see their significant others during the year. Is your bf at another school or is he working?

Awww, thanks. I think I needed some encouragement. We definitely want to work it out, but we both know it will be a real challenge. He's not in science at all, so he's working (business/computer related), and depending on where this job takes him, maybe I can convince him to come to Rochester :laugh:

Does anybody have any experience dealing with financing a car thru financial aid? I know they can't explicitly give you funds/loans for buying a car, but I'd be totally broke if I had to pay for a car on my own. I was wondering if there's a way that financial aid can help us (even if all the money is in the form of loans).

oserrever said:
Does anybody have any experience dealing with financing a car thru financial aid? I know they can't explicitly give you funds/loans for buying a car, but I'd be totally broke if I had to pay for a car on my own. I was wondering if there's a way that financial aid can help us (even if all the money is in the form of loans).

You should call the financial aid office and tell them you are buying a car. I believe I asked them to revise my financial aid award and to take into account the huge car loan I had just taken out. If I remember correctly, they only gave me an extra $1000 or something, but it was better than nothing. Keep in mind that you're not going to need to full $54,000 (or whatever it is now) in order to survive. In fact, they have tried to inflate the budget a bit just so people can have extra $$ to make car payments. Plus, Rochester is a fairly cheap place to live... so you won't need as much for rent as you would in a real city.

Awww, thanks. I think I needed some encouragement. We definitely want to work it out, but we both know it will be a real challenge. He's not in science at all, so he's working (business/computer related), and depending on where this job takes him, maybe I can convince him to come to Rochester

Well since he's working, he can afford to fly up here and visit you :p

Speaking of cars, is it necessary to have a 4-wheel drive car for the snow? What about snow tires? Sorry, I'm from California and I'm completely clueless about this stuff. :oops:

ntc1983 said:
Speaking of cars, is it necessary to have a 4-wheel drive car for the snow? What about snow tires? Sorry, I'm from California and I'm completely clueless about this stuff. :oops:

No, I suppose it's not necessary.... but it can be helpful. I'm a fairly inexperienced driver, so I bought a car with all wheel drive. Roads here are cleaned fairly well. The only problem is sometimes you'll be caught in a snow storm coming back from preceptorship and the roads won't be cleaned immediately. I don't have snow tires though and I've been ok on the roads so far.

ntc1983 said:

No. I'm from Arizona and I'm still pretty clueless, but basically you're fine if you've got a car with some weight on it. I drive an old Toyota avalon and never had a single issue. What I found was key was to keep the car washed and clean to prevent rusting.

Thanks for the replies, tinkerbelle and Larsitron!

I'm so glad it's coming back to life too! Since I just got off the waitlist, I need to really get going on apartment hunting. I'm heading into rochester with my mom next week to take a look around. Since I have no idea about the Rochester area, do you guys have any suggestions for what areas to avoid or what are some great spots? Any suggestions are good!

I'm sooo excited to see all of you on August 14th. I'll probably try to move in August 11th, and do the early registration, if I can.

oserrever said:
I'm so glad it's coming back to life too! Since I just got off the waitlist, I need to really get going on apartment hunting. I'm heading into rochester with my mom next week to take a look around. Since I have no idea about the Rochester area, do you guys have any suggestions for what areas to avoid or what are some great spots? Any suggestions are good!

I'm sooo excited to see all of you on August 14th. I'll probably try to move in August 11th, and do the early registration, if I can.

Can you give us an idea of what you're looking for? Like do you want to live by yourself or do you want a roommate? Do you smoke? Do you need a place with a garage or say a dishwasher? Do you want to walk to school or is driving ok? And how much are you willing to drive? Do you want to live somewhere really nice or will you settle for anything livable?

whoknows2010 said:
when will the new blue book be ready?

yikes... i'm not sure... we're still writing it...

is there something specific i could answer for you?

P.S. When y'all move here, make sure you bring lots of fans.... rochester apts usually don't have a/c and we've had a few killer days here

whoknows2010 said:
when will the new blue book be ready?

Yeah, Galina's right...we're still writing it. Part of the difficulty is that everyone is doing summer research or is out of town, so getting everyone on the same page is pretty tough. I would say that if you've got specific questions just ask them and hopefully we'll have a draft in a .pdf version during the first week of August.

tinkerbelle said:
Can you give us an idea of what you're looking for? Like do you want to live by yourself or do you want a roommate? Do you smoke? Do you need a place with a garage or say a dishwasher? Do you want to walk to school or is driving ok? And how much are you willing to drive? Do you want to live somewhere really nice or will you settle for anything livable?
1) want either a 1 bd/1bathroom apartment or in a studio (on the larger side).
2) I will have a car so a little bit farther is okay, though, ideally, closer to campus would be great
3) I'm not sure what the parking situation is, but if parking is hard to find, then yes, having a parking spot would be necessary
4) My budget is ideally 500-525, tops: 600, the lower the better!!! I would like utilities like heat, gas to be included

Thanks!!!

oserrever said:
1) want either a 1 bd/1bathroom apartment or in a studio (on the larger side).

Well, first of all, check out the apt listings on Craig's List and on the UR Off-Campus housing site. It'll give you a good place to start. Since you want a studio/1 bdrm, check out Elmwood Manor, Rustic Village (1 bdrms are expensive, but students get a discount so it's probably ~$600), or anything on East Ave or Park Ave (this is the nicer part of rochester with lots of restaurants and stuff). The easiest way to find an apartment here is to just walk around and look at all the for rent signs. There are a lot of apartment buildings around here, but some of them are sort of tucked away. So when you come to check out apartments, go down the little side streets off of Mt. Hope (like I know there is a fairly cheap apt building off the street by Pellgrino's, but I don't know the name... so you'll just have to walk there and check it out).

2) I will have a car so a little bit farther is okay, though, ideally, closer to campus would be great.

The farther away from campus you live, the cheaper the apartment will be. For example, you can find a place for < $500 on East Ave, but then you'll have to drive to school (~10 minutes). Just remember that the student parking lot is about a 7 minute walk from school...

3) I'm not sure what the parking situation is, but if parking is hard to find, then yes, having a parking spot would be necessary

All of the apartment buildings should at least have off-street parking or a parking lot. The only thing is that when it snows, it's nice to have a garage. But if you're not picky, then parking shouldn't be a problem.

4) My budget is ideally 500-525, tops: 600, the lower the better!!! I would like utilities like heat, gas to be included

You should be able to find something in this range on East Ave/Park Ave. Around the school, you'll probably be cutting it close (Lars, you just did the whole apartment hunting thing, what do you think?). Most studios/1 bedrms will be at least $525 (and that's a very conservative estimate... some 1 bedrms can go for $700). Plus, they won't necessarily include electricity.

Next year, would you consider living with a friend? It's a lot cheaper. You end up paying like $350/month if you split a 2 bdrm apt or a house in the white coat ghetto. And if you spend less money on housing next year, you can rationalize spending a tad bit more this year on an apartment :p

Hopefully other people will chime in with housing advice :)

Elmwood manor isn't in the poster's price range...at least if it is I'm getting screwed. :)

Larsitron said:
Elmwood manor isn't in the poster's price range...at least if it is I'm getting screwed. :)

:p I thought i saw an ad for a $550 studio, but I guess you'd know better than I would!

Oh, for a studio, that's different. I have no idea what it is for a studio.

tinkerbelle said:
Well, first of all, check out the apt listings on Craig's List and on the UR Off-Campus housing site. It'll give you a good place to start. Since you want a studio/1 bdrm, check out Elmwood Manor, Rustic Village (1 bdrms are expensive, but students get a discount so it's probably ~$600), or anything on East Ave or Park Ave (this is the nicer part of rochester with lots of restaurants and stuff). The easiest way to find an apartment here is to just walk around and look at all the for rent signs. There are a lot of apartment buildings around here, but some of them are sort of tucked away. So when you come to check out apartments, go down the little side streets off of Mt. Hope (like I know there is a fairly cheap apt building off the street by Pellgrino's, but I don't know the name... so you'll just have to walk there and check it out).

The farther away from campus you live, the cheaper the apartment will be. For example, you can find a place for < $500 on East Ave, but then you'll have to drive to school (~10 minutes). Just remember that the student parking lot is about a 7 minute walk from school...

All of the apartment buildings should at least have off-street parking or a parking lot. The only thing is that when it snows, it's nice to have a garage. But if you're not picky, then parking shouldn't be a problem.

You should be able to find something in this range on East Ave/Park Ave. Around the school, you'll probably be cutting it close (Lars, you just did the whole apartment hunting thing, what do you think?). Most studios/1 bedrms will be at least $525 (and that's a very conservative estimate... some 1 bedrms can go for $700). Plus, they won't necessarily include electricity.

Next year, would you consider living with a friend? It's a lot cheaper. You end up paying like $350/month if you split a 2 bdrm apt or a house in the white coat ghetto. And if you spend less money on housing next year, you can rationalize spending a tad bit more this year on an apartment :p

Hopefully other people will chime in with housing advice :)

Tinkerbelle, you rock. Thanks for all your info and help. I hope I get to see you sometime during the school year. And yes! I will certainly consider living with someone in the second year--it is definitely something to think about.

oserrever said:
Tinkerbelle, you rock. Thanks for all your info and help. I hope I get to see you sometime during the school year. And yes! I will certainly consider living with someone in the second year--it is definitely something to think about.

p.s. i just visited a friend who lives in the Crittenden Way Apts and she is paying $585 next year for her 1 bedroom apt. Her place is huge & she likes living there. I believe she does pay for electricity but it's only like $15 or $20. Her place is about a 5 min drive away from school.

total dork question - do we get a choice in our stethoscope color? black seems boring.

No, but they're not all black. Mine is green. So, I suppose you could trade with a person who wanted the color you got.

Larsitron said:
No, but they're not all black. Mine is green. So, I suppose you could trade with a person who wanted the color you got.

When do we buy the kits with the stethoscope and such? I know it was included in the bill but do we just stop in at the bookstore and get it when we get there or do we get it during Orientation Week or something?

Oh, and to be fair: My name's Jeff, I was Haverford College '06. I'll be there on Aug 7th

GoatMP said:
When do we buy the kits with the stethoscope and such? I know it was included in the bill but do we just stop in at the bookstore and get it when we get there or do we get it during Orientation Week or something?

Oh, and to be fair: My name's Jeff, I was Haverford College '06. I'll be there on Aug 7th

If I remember correctly, you will get your kits during orientation. You go up to the histology labs, find your lab bench, and then get a big bag of goodies. Kinda like a birthday with nerdy presents.