OFFICIAL Rochester Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
GoatMP said:
When do we buy the kits with the stethoscope and such? I know it was included in the bill but do we just stop in at the bookstore and get it when we get there or do we get it during Orientation Week or something?

Oh, and to be fair: My name's Jeff, I was Haverford College '06. I'll be there on Aug 7th

We didn't get ours during orientation. Rather, we got our stuff at the end of Mastering Medical Information, just before Human Structure and Function.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,,

So I'm in Rochester with my mom and looking around for apartments to no avail! I'm worried. I found one on Mt. Hope near a florist (Salmon Florist, the place is attached) and it seems okay, but other than that, I found almost nothing. One place on Front Hill Terrace looked like it was going to collapse and the area I looked (meigs, goodman and monroe, with Rowley) seemed a bit sketchy to me. Any ideas? Tomorrow I'm goign to go around and look at for rent signs. I can't seem to find much on rentrochester.com or the off campus housing.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

You've probably already tried these but just go to the complexes on Elmwood. They're sort of expensive, but you may be able to find a roommate. There's Elmwood Manor, 1600 Elmwood, another one that's closer to S. Clinton and then there's one that's on S. Clinton. Also, try Rustic Village on W. Henrietta (that's across the freeway near the Hampton Inn).

I'll be available today by phone or IM so if you send me a personal message, I'll see what other advice I can give you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Larsitron said:
We didn't get ours during orientation. Rather, we got our stuff at the end of Mastering Medical Information, just before Human Structure and Function.

Ah, yes, Lars is correct. My mistake. Seems like it was so long ago that I got the bag.

I do believe that's the time you also get your bone box, any newly minted 2nd years want to confirm that?

bauies said:
Ah, yes, Lars is correct. My mistake. Seems like it was so long ago that I got the bag.

I do believe that's the time you also get your bone box, any newly minted 2nd years want to confirm that?

Yeah, that's right. You've got a paper bag with all the new toys and then a case that looks like there's a high-school band instrument in it, but really its the bones of 2/3 of a person. You get your own skull, sternum, and spine and then half a skeleton for everyting else.

oserrever said:
Hey all,,

So I'm in Rochester with my mom and looking around for apartments to no avail! I'm worried. I found one on Mt. Hope near a florist (Salmon Florist, the place is attached) and it seems okay, but other than that, I found almost nothing. One place on Front Hill Terrace looked like it was going to collapse and the area I looked (meigs, goodman and monroe, with Rowley) seemed a bit sketchy to me. Any ideas? Tomorrow I'm goign to go around and look at for rent signs. I can't seem to find much on rentrochester.com or the off campus housing.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I'm a little surprised you haven't found anything you like. If you're still here, I'm in Rochester (but I leave tomorrow afternoon). I can show you some of the places students live. Did you already check out the places I mentioned? I'm hesitant to post my phone number, but I suppose I can PM it to ya. Also, when you search the off campus housing list, look for places around UR/Strong, Brighton, Henrietta, and Park Ave. I know you wanted all utilities included, but if you exclude that criteria, you'll find a lot more places.

Hey all,

thanks for all your help---I've found a place in Elmwood Manor and will be moving in August 11th!! I've also got some furniture so I'm slowly settling in.

I'm wondering if the orientation info or any other info we are supposed to get still through the applicant portal or did I miss anything regarding setting up our urid and email accounts? (I have my urid).

Thanks!

oserrever said:
Hey all,

thanks for all your help---I've found a place in Elmwood Manor and will be moving in August 11th!! I've also got some furniture so I'm slowly settling in.

I'm wondering if the orientation info or any other info we are supposed to get still through the applicant portal or did I miss anything regarding setting up our urid and email accounts? (I have my urid).

Thanks!

Way to find a place. If you want help moving in, PM me and I'll be able to help out. As far as the orientation info, I can't really speak to that as I don't know how they're doing things this year. What I'd do is swing by student services or call them to just ask what you need to know right now. On the first day of orientation, they give you a huge packet.

In the way of the URID and email, those things get set up during orientation. The library has revamped the student website significantly such that all the information you will need for your med school career will be acessed through one site. I've been the student representative helping them get that all together this summer and told them it'd be nice if y'all could get your email addresses before orientation, but that just didn't happen.

Larsitron said:
Way to find a place. If you want help moving in, PM me and I'll be able to help out. As far as the orientation info, I can't really speak to that as I don't know how they're doing things this year. What I'd do is swing by student services or call them to just ask what you need to know right now. On the first day of orientation, they give you a huge packet.

In the way of the URID and email, those things get set up during orientation. The library has revamped the student website significantly such that all the information you will need for your med school career will be acessed through one site. I've been the student representative helping them get that all together this summer and told them it'd be nice if y'all could get your email addresses before orientation, but that just didn't happen.

Aww, thanks!!!! I dunno what it is, but my four days in Rochester, albeit hectic and stressful, were great because everyone there is sooo helpful and caring!!! I got 3 personal home and cell phone numbers from people I met on the street and owners of a store (haha, no, not sketchy--I was either buying stuff from them or asking for help, and they just went out of their way to try to help me figure out my situation). It was really great. You guys are awesome. As for moving in, I think i'm set, larsitron, but thank you so much for offering. I bought most of my furniture in Rochester so that they will be delivered (and set up) the day I move in--so I wouldn't have to lift a finger :D I'll see you all AUGUST 14th!!!!!! Can't wait.

Sorry guys, another question:

I'm in elmwood manor, and they have hook-ups to Time Warner. I dont' care about the tv cable, but their high speed internet is so expensive!! It's 44.95/month, though they do have a promotional rate of 29.95/month for the first 12 months (which I can take). The only other option is Frontier, which I need a phone land line and it's dial-up (blech!). Do any of you have a better package or know of getting around this? I have Verizon DSL at my home right now and I only pay 14.95/month for it.

Not so much. Rochester is run by a duopoly of Time Warner and Frontier. I think most people use Time Warner. I have their all in one package because my cell phone gets zero reception in my apartment and I needed a land line. Frontier offers DSL too though and I had it in my old house near Strong. The service was awful though.

There's wireless internet in the student lounge and lots of coffee shops that offer free wi-fi too. I guess what I'm saying is that if your budget really doesn't allow for it, you have alternatives in the way of going other places, but its not as nice as having internet in your house.

Does anyone have any suggestions for renting a car? The cheapest I could find was with Enterprise for about $75/day (I'm under 25). Darn you, NY underage driver fees!!

ntc1983 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for renting a car? The cheapest I could find was with Enterprise for about $75/day (I'm under 25). Darn you, NY underage driver fees!!

At least you're able to rent a car...In certain states, its just not possible. :)

When I rented a car, I used Enterprise and thought it was fine. The next step is to pick up a Rochester atlas which was very handy in finding places.

Can you get tv reception (basic news channels) in Rochester without cable?

thirdgen_doc said:
Can you get tv reception (basic news channels) in Rochester without cable?

I don't have cable and I get: Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. I get 1 or 2 more channels but they don't come in as clearly as the others.

I don't know many people as obsessed with TV as I am, so I view cable as a necessity to keep current on things. However, sans cable, you're stuck with the big 4 and various other smaller networks.

Another question, is there any free printing for medical students? I imagine there is a page limit if so ...

tinkerbelle said:
I don't have cable and I get: Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. I get 1 or 2 more channels but they don't come in as clearly as the others.

I just signed with Time Warner for high speed internet, and they offer the most basic cable (i asked them for "whatever is cheapest") and it is 6.55/month plus tax (it comes to something like 7.30) and you get channels 2-19 which I think includes TBS and the ANimal PLanet (which I personally live for, so for me that was a great deal). Of course, you still get the four basics. All I cared about was Fox because Prison Break is going to be back on August 21st!!!!!!!! But anyway, I think that is not too bad for cable.

orionMD said:
Another question, is there any free printing for medical students? I imagine there is a page limit if so ...

You have to swipe your ID card to print. They put the swipe access on so that undergrads wouldn't just come from the river campus and use the free printing. Honestly, who could blame them though.

The way it works is every year, July 1-June 30, you get $80 worth of printing/copying. One page is 10 cents. At the end of the year, anything you didn't print is lost. Your card gets filled back up to $80.

I haven't had a problem with it. I finished up last year with about $45 left on my card. But I have a printer at home, and I tended not to print out large amounts of stuff, opting generally for electronic versions of documents. But I did hear of people going through their print allotment by the middle of January or February. Not sure what those people did.

I'm looking for some opinions and advice on U of Rochester School of Medicine from those of you who have experience with the school. I'm squarely in the non-traditional category: family (2 kids), MS in bio-organic chemistry, presently employed as a computer network engineer in Rochester.

UofR would be only 1 of two schools I will be applying to. I would like to stay in Rochester, so I'm taking a chance.

What are the impressions of U of R? Any non-traditional students in your classes? How is the workload in the first year? In the subsequent years?

Many thanks in advance.

at least 1/3 of class of non-trads. there is a strong parent/spouse/family/children/couples/significant others interest community here, and the deans support such an atmosphere. So don't worry, Rochester is VERY non-trad friendly.