Official Rush Medical College Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no idea :p

---

For those that got their housing assignments, how long did it take to receive them?

Members don't see this ad.

bloHaZaRd said:
I have no idea :p

---

For those that got their housing assignments, how long did it take to receive them?

i applied pretty early, near the end of February, and i got my housing first week of May. i know they didn't even start making housing decisions until early April and i hear the space is pretty limited

I don't remember when I sent in my application (i think April?), but the assignment was post-marked May 13th.

Members don't see this ad :)

When I turned in my forms, they said they still had lots of room left. So hopefully, I can get one. I'll wait a few more weeks before calling them.

I created a thread in Allopathic, but I figured I would post here too in case anybody has some info. Can Rush students use (or will they be able to use) UIC's gym? If not, then what gyms do Rush/UIC students typically use? Is there a deal Rush has facilitated with a certain gym? What's closest, cheapest, best hours, etc... Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the answer again for Rush students ;)

I think we can use UIC's gym for $20/month. That's what I was told during my tour. It's also in the M1 survival guide, jennben. Other options are: Bally's and Union Station Multiplex.

EDIT: Looks like they might have raised the fees...

http://www.uic.edu/depts/chcc/rec/ciurec.html Look under affiliates

Rush should seriously build a gym, or at least give us free membership passes somwhere :laugh:

Gracias. I may just call Rush/UIC. That all sounded familiar, but none of the info is current, so it's hard to say. And even students have different replies. Arg! If only Rush had its own...

Let us know when you find out the correct answer.

jennben4 said:
Gracias. I may just call Rush/UIC. That all sounded familiar, but none of the info is current, so it's hard to say. And even students have different replies. Arg! If only Rush had its own...

On the bright side. Most Rush students I talked with seem to think that lack of a gym is the biggest thing against the school. I'll take it!

Are you coming to Rush too, Snelgrave?

bloHaZaRd said:
Are you coming to Rush too, Snelgrave?

Absolutely, and looking forward to it. Did you go to the second look day? I was there.

I also live in Chicago, and can offer advice to anyone considering housing outside the medical school district, but doesn’t know the city.

Snelgrave said:
Absolutely, and looking forward to it. Did you go to the second look day? I was there.

I also live in Chicago, and can offer advice to anyone considering housing outside the medical school district, but doesn’t know the city.

Yes, I was there at the second look day. It was fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys think we'll need a laptop in classroooms and stuff? i know some med schools have expanded their wireless system and electronic database a great deal but i'm not sure where Rush stands. last i heard they didn't offer lectures or video that could be accessed online.

i got a pretty old laptop that's kind of chunky and wasn't sure if it was even worth it to buy a newer, slimmer one. anyone have any idea? :confused:

The students I talked to said we don't a pc. I've heard that there are papers to write (for ethics), but you won't need a new one for that.

I can't live without my computer, so I'm gonna take my desktop with me. Mine's getting old, so I might buy a new one. Not for med school, but for doing other fun stuff... like playing games :laugh:

If you are able to surf online, chat etc., then your laptops fine. If you plan on carrying around on campus to use the wifi spots (I think Rush has wifi, no?), then a bulky laptop might be a hassle.

bloHaZaRd said:
I can't live without my computer, so I'm gonna take my desktop with me. Mine's getting old, so I might buy a new one. Not for med school, but for doing other fun stuff... like playing games :laugh:

haha i don't think we'll have time for video games in med school. i've never heard of MS1's gettin a LAN game goin :laugh:

hehe, yes I know.. but I like to think that I'll be able to play at least a few hours a month. That will have to do I guess. :p

I get hooked to gaming only when I play on a regular basis. That's never gonna happen in med school, so I'm not worried about missing playing games.

However, I also can't study for hours at a strech without some form of fun. I tend to perform better when I watch some TV, sit on the computer, go out, etc.
Of course, moderation is the key, and that even applies to studying. :)

Hey new M1's and older students, I have a question for y'all. I was just curious as to how good Rush's curriculum is at preparing its students for step 1? I was searching rush's website and I came across a curriculum from 2000/01 year that does not include Embryology or Cell and Molecular Bio. As far as I know, these topics are included in step 1 exam. Is this the same curriculum that Rush uses currently? It seems there is more behavioral science courses in rush's curriculum, which is cool, but how detrimental can this be to doing well in step 1. Any info would be much appreciated.

Peace.

IgweEmeka said:
Hey new M1's and older students, I have a question for y'all. I was just curious as to how good Rush's curriculum is at preparing its students for step 1? I was searching rush's website and I came across a curriculum from 2000/01 year that does not include Embryology or Cell and Molecular Bio. As far as I know, these topics are included in step 1 exam. Is this the same curriculum that Rush uses currently? It seems there is more behavioral science courses in rush's curriculum, which is cool, but how detrimental can this be to doing well in step 1. Any info would be much appreciated.

Peace.

from what i've heard, the pre-clinical years at Rush are excellent and offer the students a great deal of knowledge. i'm not sure how much Rush does towards directly preparing students for the Step 1 but i think standardized exams are more of a personal thing. it really depends on what type of a student you are, how you study, and how you usually perform on standardized exams. i think it's difficult to judge a school by it's average Step 1 score.

that's just my 2 cents :thumbup:

It's embarrasing to admit that you have more knowledge about the syllabi than me :oops:

I did that type of search when I was applying to schools. I just came to the conclusion that no matter where you go, all the schools will prepare you for the boards. How well you perform, is upto you like gootard said. I just left it at that and based my choice on other factors.

:)

IgweEmeka said:

Peace.

Well in reality, embryo is included in the anatomy course and cell/molecular are covered through histo and biochem. Whether or not it's enough I'm not sure...however I do feel I was well-prepared by our curriculum for the boards. Also I agree that it is definitely up to you when it comes to studying for step 1...I just picked a goal and aimed for it. good luck! :)

so do you guys thinnk we'll continue to use AIM in med school and beyond? maybe our generation will be the first to use AIM for life! :cool:

also, how is it that we start so late? do we get less vacation time or get out later during the summer? i guess i'm just anxious to start already :p

(i'm just trying to keep the convo on this thread going :D )

i'm definitly getting anxious too... can't believe we have over 6 weeks to go

so is the consensus (spelling not so much) that laptops are unnecessary? i can get a pretty sweet deal through my grad program (which i'm leaving in a week) and am wondering if i should pull the trigger.

oh, and anyone gotten orientation material yet?

No orientation materials here yet.
I don't mind having an extra long vacation now :D
I know I'm gonna miss all this time.

Yes, I'm enjoying the time too. I just finished my stupid physics pre-req and I'm still teaching for two weeks. That leaves me with about a week and a half to veg/pack. Aug 23rd is moving day!! I'm so glad I'm not cramming to finish everything for a mid-August date like some of our peers. I know I'll wish we were done in May though. Oh well, works for now. :) Let's go orientation material.....

No word about center court housing yet. I think it's time to give them a call. I'm getting worried now :(

bloHaZaRd said:
No word about center court housing yet. I think it's time to give them a call. I'm getting worried now :(

yeaa you should def. call them and see what's happening. they're super friendly there.

i'm moving my stuff in on the 18th! exciting timesss. hopefully i'll have electricity

Just called them, I'll know after Aug 10th if I can get my first choice apt. They have a few leases due that day, hopefully someone doesn't renew it, and I can get an apt!

where are the center courts? either way i'm living off campus but am curious

just started my apt. hunt and am continuing to get blown away by the low rents in chicago. it seems like there are some loft-like places in west loop that would be pretty sweet

The center courts are 2-3 minute away from Rush on Harrison and Ashland. NE quadrant of the intersection

Im currently an MS3 at Rush, so if you have any questions, please send a PM. A few questions i can briefly answer. i think a laptop is a good idea, more so cause we do have wireless, and though it may seem way far in the future, it does help a ton to have a laptop when you are studying for boards (to do qbank, and other online lectures). in terms of a gym, there are great deals with UIC and Bally's, you'll soon find that it is easy to go to either place. And if you live off campus, usually there is a neighborhood gym. Keep enjoying summer, because sept will creep up sooner than you can imagine, and about how rush prepares you for boards, as others say, it is a personal thing, there are people who score really well, and there are others who dont. Have fun!

hey everyone, I'm a M2 at rush so if you're one of the lucky few, you'll get me as one of your big sibs this year. so if i i were u i'd be nice to me and maybe i'll pass down a text or two ;) haha just kidding. first of all: congrats on choosing (and being chosen by) the best med school in the country (in our opinion at least). if your'e at all worried or anxious about school to start (cuz lets be honest, you'd be weird if u weren't), just remember, m1 year at rush is F-U-N fun.

want some advice? can u ever get too much? haha
*dont buy books yet
*dont study yet
*go to all the orientation activities (yes, even the bars if you dont drink). they're not only a great way to meet some of your new best friends but awesomely fun too
*dont worry, there's no need for it
*dont be concerned about the lack of correspondance from rush about orientation week. the worst thing about rush is how they wait until the week or two before orientation starts to tell u anything about it (seriously, it's the worst part, the school's that great!).
*dont give up your dreams of playing video games for hundreds of hours per week. you'll have plenty of free time this year, plenty.

so if you're not excited yet, start getting excited! :D :D i'm excited to start m2 year and i'm excited for all of you starting year 1!

rushmed08 said:
hey everyone, I'm a M2 at rush so if you're one of the lucky few, you'll get me as one of your big sibs this year. so if i i were u i'd be nice to me and maybe i'll pass down a text or two ;) haha just kidding. first of all: congrats on choosing (and being chosen by) the best med school in the country (in our opinion at least). if your'e at all worried or anxious about school to start (cuz lets be honest, you'd be weird if u weren't), just remember, m1 year at rush is F-U-N fun.

want some advice? can u ever get too much? haha
*dont buy books yet
*dont study yet
*go to all the orientation activities (yes, even the bars if you dont drink). they're not only a great way to meet some of your new best friends but awesomely fun too
*dont worry, there's no need for it
*dont be concerned about the lack of correspondance from rush about orientation week. the worst thing about rush is how they wait until the week or two before orientation starts to tell u anything about it (seriously, it's the worst part, the school's that great!).
*dont give up your dreams of playing video games for hundreds of hours per week. you'll have plenty of free time this year, plenty.

so if you're not excited yet, start getting excited! :D :D i'm excited to start m2 year and i'm excited for all of you starting year 1!

haha, you made me excited for sure... I hope you are right about the things you said ;)

I like the bit about having hours of free time every week :D are you sure you're talking about med school's first year? :p

Got some stuff in the mail today from Rush Student Affairs office. It just had a little info about orientation. It was mostly a 'to do list' before school starts.

bloHaZaRd said:
Got some stuff in the mail today from Rush Student Affairs office. It just had a little info about orientation. It was mostly a 'to do list' before school starts.

I thought we got an email about that a while ago. it was a 10 things to do before school starts list.

when are you all planning to move in officially? i'm moving my stuff in on aug. 18th just to get it out of the way but i'm not sure when to start staying in the apt. i think orientation starts the 7th so if there are some of you planning to be there before, maybe we can do a pre-orientation get together!

The packet I got was just those things we got in the email with more details. plus all the different activities and programs we can take part in. They did say the time of orientation though, it starts at 10:00 AM!

Still not sure about moving, because I will hear back from them after Aug 10th. The major problem will be just getting my stuff there. I don't live that far, so doesn't matter when I start staying at the apt. It'll probably be 1-2 days before orientation.

rushmed08 said:
just remember, m1 year at rush is F-U-N fun...

Somwhere on the Harvard thread an M1 is crying...

This is good news. I have a fantasy of paying for my student loans by playing poker when I am not studying. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Snelgrave said:
Somwhere on the Harvard thread an M1 is crying...

haha that's too bad. this is supposed to be fun!

i found some info browsing the Rush website in terms of dates of orientation and vacations:

Orientation - September 6-9
Classes Begin - September 12
Thanksgiving Holiday - November 24-25
Classes End - December 6
Final Exams - December 8-16
Back from break and Winter quarter - January 3

also those of you living in the cntr. court gardens, what internet service will you be using?

That's an early start in January!

For internet, I think I will be using SBC's 1500/128 plan for $15/month.

I found out today that I won't get a 1 BDRM apt at the center courts. :(

Time to start looking for an apartment elsewhere, I guess. Sucks!! I didn't bother searching before, because when I applied for housing in June, they said they still had plenty of space left. aaaarrrghhh!

bloHaZaRd said:
I found out today that I won't get a 1 BDRM apt at the center courts. :(

Time to start looking for an apartment elsewhere, I guess. Sucks!! I didn't bother searching before, because when I applied for housing in June, they said they still had plenty of space left. aaaarrrghhh!

that really sucks man. i was up there earlier this summer trying to find apartments. they definitely had alot with "FOR RENT" signs on them. i would recommend just walking around the neighborhood and writing down some phone numbers you see on the sign. since there are 2 campuses right there, UIC and Rush, there's alotta housing. keep your cellphone on you and just call them when you're there and maybe you'll get lucky and get to see the apartment the same day. that's what happened with me. that way you won't have to make multiple trips! good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip :)

I'm debating whether to get off-campus housing, or commute for 3 months(1 quarter), and then get the 1 BDRM I want at the center court during December. Turns out, I'm the only person left looking for single occupancy in a 1bdrm. :p
Dr. Wagner told me he will have room for me when some students graduate in december, but I will reconfirm that if I choose that option.

The only reason I still want an apt at the center courts is due to its proximity to Rush. But for that I'll have to weigh in the inconvinience of commuting a few months.

hey bloHaZaRd, that sucks man. I'm in the same boat (outta luck at Rush housing). Are studios out of the question? Another place you might want to check out is on craigslist:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/hhh/

New postings are up all the time.

wild0ne said:
hey bloHaZaRd, that sucks man. I'm in the same boat (outta luck at Rush housing). Are studios out of the question? Another place you might want to check out is on craigslist:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/hhh/

New postings are up all the time.

I've been looking at the listings on that site since yesterday and saving the one's I like.

I'm not sure about getting a studio, I think it'll probably be too cramped for me. Did you apply for a studio at Rush? I was told they were out of those too.. They just have 2 BDRMs left.

maybe you guys should just room together in that 2 bdrm and solve both problems of no housing :cool:

gootard said:
maybe you guys should just room together in that 2 bdrm and solve both problems of no housing :cool:

haha good idea :p

But guess what? I just called Rush again, and they said they have a studio for me!! :D

I was hoping for a 1 BDRM apt, but I was told I could make a switch in December. I can live with that for 3 months. Sure beats commuting!! :D

---

And finally, some details about orientation!! Be sure to check you emails!

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/medcol/ori.html

hmmm, you think if I call back in a few days, I'll get that 1bdrm I want? lol lol :laugh:

@wild0ne: Were you looking for a studio or 1bdrm like me? You should call them and ask if they have any updates for you.

wondering why i didn't get an email?? thanks for the link though

has everyone taken care of their immuno. form? i'm finding conflicting info on when it has to be turned in... different documents have said aug. 26, registration, and no specific date, but registration for spring quarter will be blocked without it. i'm going to rush tomorrow to get it taken care of through their health provider though so hopefully it won't be an issue

LordoftheFries said:
wondering why i didn't get an email?? thanks for the link though

has everyone taken care of their immuno. form? i'm finding conflicting info on when it has to be turned in... different documents have said aug. 26, registration, and no specific date, but registration for spring quarter will be blocked without it. i'm going to rush tomorrow to get it taken care of through their health provider though so hopefully it won't be an issue

I need to finish that too. I was going to send them an email today about getting it done at their hospital. It will be covered by our Rush insurance, right? we just have to pay the visit fee?

I was confused, because I didn't think the med. insurance would kick in before registration.

yeah, i was confused also, which is why i was scrambling to get my old primary care doc involved. i just went to rush to get it done today though and it was easy-- they take care of the whole thing for 15$

anyone else not get an email about orientation?