***official san antonio acceptance 2009 thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took the max out first year so I could figure out if I could possibly live on less the last 3 years in school. And it is possible. It just depends on how you want to live. I live in an apartment that comes out to about $850/mo with rent, cable/internet, electricity, and water. Add in groceries, and I spend about $1000/mo. I don't know if that is high or low compared to my classmates, but I still have loan money left over in December from my first disbursement, and so I will be taking a little less out each year.

Members don't see this ad.

My reasoning for taking out the max first year is this way you are not in a situation where you do not have enough money to pay rent or eat at any point in the year, and then you can budget better after living down here for a year and realizing how much you go out to eat, to movies, bars, how often you go grocery shopping, etc. Once you figure out your routine, you can take less out after your first year.

I, too, would recommend to take out the max loan first year. During the first semester, you have to pay 4k-5k right away for the computer, then 8.6k for tuition. So that pretty much depleted the fund. If you take out the max loans/grants, for us it was around 40k, so I was left with about 7k for the semester. That was about right cover for all the living excpenses. Me, I still have some left over. I think I will take out a little less for the 2nd semester because we only have 8.6k tuition fee, no computer fee. It's always better to take out more and have a little left over in case of emergency. If you take out too much, you can return it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I, too, would recommend to take out the max loan first year. During the first semester, you have to pay 4k-5k right away for the computer, then 8.6k for tuition. So that pretty much depleted the fund. If you take out the max loans/grants, for us it was around 40k, so I was left with about 7k for the semester. That was about right cover for all the living excpenses. Me, I still have some left over. I think I will take out a little less for the 2nd semester because we only have 8.6k tuition fee, no computer fee. It's always better to take out more and have a little left over in case of emergency. If you take out too much, you can return it.

4k-5k for computer? What do you mean? Do you get a laptop???:xf: I thought that san antonio was supposed to be the cheapest one among the three in texas...

4k-5k for computer? What do you mean? Do you get a laptop???:xf: I thought that san antonio was supposed to be the cheapest one among the three in texas...

You can check most of the prices off of each schools website. I believe Houston is the cheapest, but we are fortunate enough to have three state schools with relatively low tuition. Yes, you need to purchase one of two designated laptops your first semester.

Thanks again guys. I suppose if my scholarship is 10k for the first year then I wouldn't have to take out as much then? I probably will end up doing it anyway and just move in somewhere nice lol.

Yes, you do have to purchase a laptop. You have to choose between a Dell or Mac. Dell costs about 3.6k and Mac is 4.5k. You have to pay right away out of pocket, that's before you receive your loans.

Destine, you are right, SA is the cheapest of the three schools in Texas. Just the first semester you pay a lot because of the laptop. At first I hated the idea of spending 4.5k for a mac, but now I love it and glad I came to SA.

One last note, I would choose a Mac over Dell. Mac looks much better, more user friendly, loads much faster, doesn't crash as much, etc. Make sure you know that you'll like your laptop when you make the choice, because you can't exchange for the other. Once you made the decision, then you'll be stuck with the laptop for 4 years.

Yes, you do have to purchase a laptop. You have to choose between a Dell or Mac. Dell costs about 3.6k and Mac is 4.5k. You have to pay right away out of pocket, that's before you receive your loans.

Destine, you are right, SA is the cheapest of the three schools in Texas. Just the first semester you pay a lot because of the laptop. At first I hated the idea of spending 4.5k for a mac, but now I love it and glad I came to SA.

One last note, I would choose a Mac over Dell. Mac looks much better, more user friendly, loads much faster, doesn't crash as much, etc. Make sure you know that you'll like your laptop when you make the choice, because you can't exchange for the other. Once you made the decision, then you'll be stuck with the laptop for 4 years.

Wow, seriously? I hope we can use financial aid for that because I don't have 4 g's lying around to spend on a computer.

I know we must see which school is more fit with our individual needs and perspective. I have a question for you guys that accepted to both Baylor and San Antonio, what was your reason to choose San Antonio over Baylor?
thanks for your respond

I know we must see which school is more fit with our individual needs and perspective. I have a question for you guys that accepted to both Baylor and San Antonio, what was your reason to choose San Antonio over Baylor?
thanks for your respond

Danny, I was accepted to all three but ultimately I chose SA because my girlfriend is going to be attending school there too and also because they gave me a 10k scholarship. Baylor only gave me 7k and Houston doesn't offer scholarships until you send the deposit in I heard. Also, the area around the school is the best of all three. I really didn't want to live in downtown Dallas or Houston. I grew up in the hood and I really want to move out, not back in lol.

I feel that all the schools are excellent. I actually prefer the environment and the people at Baylor to all three. If I were single I would have went there hands down.

Wow, seriously? I hope we can use financial aid for that because I don't have 4 g's lying around to spend on a computer.

I had my loan money before I had to pay for it, but many people did not... I would guess maybe a third of the class didn't have their loan check yet. I would plan on having a back-up method (i.e. credit card). You cannot get your computer until you pay... and I think we paid for the computer on the 1st or 2nd day of class and got the computer on the 3rd day... I think they do it this way in case they are slow on getting the money disbursed.

I am wondering about what will I do to my beloved x61t...:(

Well....that would be at least three years from now....lol....

Last edited:
just wondering do we get the macbook or macbook pro?

ahhhh, i need to pick between houston and san antonio, but i'm leaning toward SA, good? bahhhhhh

macbook pro

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the distribution of dell to macbook in your class? Not that it matters, I am just curious.

It varies from class to class... my class is close to 60/40 mac to dell, the class behind me I believe has more people with dells

I went with the Mac... had never had one before, but I had trouble with my Dell desktop and wanted to switch. It now drives me nuts going home to visit family and having to use a PC. I can't explain it, but I just love my Mac more. It's more user friendly.

With that being said, both computers will get you through school. Both are compatible with our digital radiography program (mipacs) and paperless charting system (axium).

Remember to join the your class facebook group UTHSCSA 2013. It is the best way to communicate among your classmates and upper class. VERY GOOD source if you're looking for places to live. Good luck!

From the looks of predents and what SA said at the interview, they start accepting 2nd rounds ~mid Jan-early Feb. Is this right?

I think 2nd round starts in Feb. If you're on the waiting list, then it could go all the way to August.

For those of you accepted to SA, all we have to do so far is return the letter of intent form, right? Has there been deposit or anything yet? I accepted the offer, but I am still hoping for Houston. Also, where do we send our Fall 2008 grades? To TMDSAS? Or to each school??

Hi, anybody got th email from "Pam Lenow" about "the Pre-Dental Track" program in San Antonio?

just wondering do we get the macbook or macbook pro?

ahhhh, i need to pick between houston and san antonio, but i'm leaning toward SA, good? bahhhhhh

me too. which one have you decided on?
i've already sent in deposit for houston, but i just heard from san antonio last saturday............hm,,,

me too. which one have you decided on?
i've already sent in deposit for houston, but i just heard from san antonio last saturday............hm,,,

I went with san antonio. but it was really hard, the presentation of Houston was amazing after i walked out of the interview I really felt like i belong there. for the past month, i gave it some thought and san antonio won. clinics and location were my main factors

hey guys i've been a lurker on the forum for a while. i got into sa and am planning on taking biochem pass/fail. I was wondering if biochem is a requirement for admissions. if it is then i'll have to take it for a grade. right???

Congrats to all! Welcome to SA!

I'm a first year, and about to finish up my first semester, so if you have any questions feel free to email me as well.

Two free bits of advice:
1. Apply for parking on July for Zone 4 parking
2. Prepare for and Take the biochem exemption exam!

So is it easy to get a parking permit??
i was wondering if i should get an apartment in walking distance or not, if parking isn't that bad, i might just live a little bit far away like 5 min driving...? to save some money on rent...

hey guys i've been a lurker on the forum for a while. i got into sa and am planning on taking biochem pass/fail. I was wondering if biochem is a requirement for admissions. if it is then i'll have to take it for a grade. right???

Biochem is a recommended course not a required one. From what I've gathered from talking to the women in the registrars office they basically don't want you to fail any classes before you enter school. They told me I didn't even have to graduate.

So is it easy to get a parking permit??
i was wondering if i should get an apartment in walking distance or not, if parking isn't that bad, i might just live a little bit far away like 5 min driving...? to save some money on rent...

I am a DS2 at San Antonio.

If it is still the same, you have to be in person to request a permit. You have to get your ID badge first, then your parking permit. If you are not in person within the first few days they say you can go in and request one, you will be in Zone 5, which is a remote lot that shuttles you to campus in the morning. I was there on the first day they told us we could get a permit, and I was in Zone 4. I put myself on the waitlist for Zone 3, and got it in August. I think I was very fortunate though. So best advice... get there early to get your permit. And also, I know you mentioned living close so you can walk, and there are many students who do. But keep in mind that you will be up at school studying or doing labwork, or in the gross lab over the course of your education, and you may not want to walk to your apartment late at night, and you need to have a permit of some sort to park on campus... it doesn't matter whether it is Zone 5 or Zone 1, you just have to have a permit to park on campus.

Also... I live about 10-15 minutes from campus, and parking isn't too bad... but I am in Zone 3. Zone 4 looks pretty crowded though.

Hey!! When can we get our badge? Im moving to SA in april.. but im going to be gone all of may and some of june.. do you think i can get it in april? Or even march? Im gonna be down in march for a while too....

I'm not sure. The paperwork you get for everything in March should tell you though.

Hey!! When can we get our badge? Im moving to SA in april.. but im going to be gone all of may and some of june.. do you think i can get it in april? Or even march? Im gonna be down in march for a while too....

You can't get your badge until June, I believe. Give them a call. Just like mamelon said, get there early to get Zone 4 parking. Zone 5 parking really sucks!
About parking late at night, all you have to do is to show your school ID in order to park on campus after 5 pm. You don't have to get a permit to park close to campus after hour. If you can get an apartment that's close to school....great, but you have to spend extra to do so. You'll save about $175 per year on parking, but you'll end up paying more for rent. Not worth it.

hey guys. didn't know this thread existed. just been stalking the TMDSAS thread.
i appreciate all the advice from current students!

Question about the Hep B series shots:
Dr. C mentioned in a handout about the time frame for the 3 shot series and recommended that we get it right away. Should I wait for more info in the March packet or get started now. From what I read on the health dept website, the entire series takes 6 months? That means I should've started the first shot early Jan eh??

Thanks!

hey guys. didn't know this thread existed. just been stalking the TMDSAS thread.
i appreciate all the advice from current students!

Question about the Hep B series shots:
Dr. C mentioned in a handout about the time frame for the 3 shot series and recommended that we get it right away. Should I wait for more info in the March packet or get started now. From what I read on the health dept website, the entire series takes 6 months? That means I should've started the first shot early Jan eh??

Thanks!
Yes, start as soon as possible. The earlier you finish, the better. The whole series takes 6 months to do, don't wait until last minute!

Yes, start as soon as possible. The earlier you finish, the better. The whole series takes 6 months to do, don't wait until last minute!

We are just advised to start the series before we start school right?

We are just advised to start the series before we start school right?

oh man, i freaked out earlier this week because i didn't have HepB done, it takes six months, and school starts in 5.5 months. its plastered all over their websites and handouts in bold that if all your immunizations are NOT complete, you will NOT be able to register for classes. period. apparently its their new law/policy. when i realized i didn't have it yet and it took 6 long months, i nearly had a heart attack. then i looked up my immunizations and found out i had it when i was 7 yrs old, so i was able to relax.

if you haven't started it now, i would start ASAP. i would find it hard to believe if they actually refused to let you register for classes or whatever in july just because you were a few weeks late on your HepB vaccine, but I don't want to risk it.

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/NS_ReqdImmuniz.aspx

"You will NOT be allowed to enroll in classes if your immunizations are not up to date."

Wow cobalt, somehow seeing that YOU decided to attend SA makes me feel even better about going there. Maybe it really is as prestigious as we've been lead to believe...

Just curious, what influenced your decision?

many things actually! it was tied with LSU as far and away my cheapest option, within driving distance of family, has a great clinical education (starting early, leasing equipment, your own operatories, don't have to schedule your own patients), it has a great reputation from the few dentists i've talked to, its tops in the country in many post-graduate programs, and the weather is amazing (at least in the fall, winter, and spring months).

what's not to like :p

many things actually! it was tied with LSU as far and away my cheapest option, within driving distance of family, has a great clinical education (starting early, leasing equipment, your own operatories, don't have to schedule your own patients), it has a great reputation from the few dentists i've talked to, its tops in the country in many post-graduate programs, and the weather is amazing (at least in the fall, winter, and spring months).

what's not to like :p

All good reasons man. Yeah, just wait til you spend a summer in Texas. In the hill country around SA its so damn humid its ridiculous. I feel the same way about the place as you do, except it was really the scholarship that made the choice for me. I could have made the most out of any TX school, but now looking back I wish I would of applied out of state. I really wanted to get out and see more of the world.

Glad you made your choice, now just don't ruin any curves next year lol.

All good reasons man. Yeah, just wait til you spend a summer in Texas. In the hill country around SA its so damn humid its ridiculous. I feel the same way about the place as you do, except it was really the scholarship that made the choice for me. I could have made the most out of any TX school, but now looking back I wish I would of applied out of state. I really wanted to get out and see more of the world.

Glad you made your choice, now just don't ruin any curves next year lol.

There are no curves in dental school at SA. What you see is what you get, even if no one gets an A.

good luck everyone! i hope that we will all be contributing to this thread with good news in the coming days!

any news from anyone?:scared::thumbdown:thumbup:

omg! nothing in the mail again. didn't someone say SA is sending emails and paper mail?

oh man, i freaked out earlier this week because i didn't have HepB done, it takes six months, and school starts in 5.5 months. its plastered all over their websites and handouts in bold that if all your immunizations are NOT complete, you will NOT be able to register for classes. period. apparently its their new law/policy. when i realized i didn't have it yet and it took 6 long months, i nearly had a heart attack. then i looked up my immunizations and found out i had it when i was 7 yrs old, so i was able to relax.

if you haven't started it now, i would start ASAP. i would find it hard to believe if they actually refused to let you register for classes or whatever in july just because you were a few weeks late on your HepB vaccine, but I don't want to risk it.

http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/NS_ReqdImmuniz.aspx

"You will NOT be allowed to enroll in classes if your immunizations are not up to date."

The told us the same thing when I was doing the same process two years ago. I know of several people in my class who didn't have the third shot by the first day of class. Just as long as you have started your series -- you should be able to get the first two shots done, then you will complete the third shot shortly after school starts. Just start the series sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I got all freaked out when I read the post, but I called today and you just need to have the first two done, and the clinic at school offers an accelerated vaccine that you get one shot then another one a week later then like two more down the line and students can get that if they have to wait until the last minute.. but they will let you start school.. so maybe you should have called .. you got me really worried!

sorry! i was really worried too. i'm glad its not that big a deal!

There are no curves in dental school at SA. What you see is what you get, even if no one gets an A.

I was joking with the guy 'cause of his ridiculously high grades/scores. Good to know though...