Official: Schools that say, "Send us your AMCAS"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so....here's the list.

Tufts
Tulane
MCOW (no AMCAS, but official transcripts are needed)

Fellow SDNers: Are you guys including your list of schools in the AMCAS that you send out? Won't they know that the AMCAS is missing the list if we do'nt send it to them? Won't that look bad? sorta like we're puling wool over sheep's eyes or however that phrase goes. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Why are schools asking for that this year? Isn't AMCAS working pretty well this year?

good question, tweetie. i was thinking of not sending the page with all the schools in. they don't have a right to know at this stage of the game. i guess it might look bad, though, now that you bring it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
time is treasure in this game, and I don't want my schools to think that I have sent them an "incomplete" application just because my school list is missing. I mean, what if they send it back saying "we want the list of schools?" A lot of time would already have been lost then.

See the dilemma here?

when you print the AMCAS application out, doesn't the personal statement come out as one big block, w/o the paragraph breaks? Thats not something I would want to send out to schools. :oops:

Originally posted by chopsuey
look here for what to do about the designate schools option:
tufts...and sending out printed versions of AMCAS!

Chops:
I read the thread above and that's what made me start this one. I wanna hear other's opinions b/c I'm concerned about making the wrong choice. Thanks though! I think I might just send my school list in, b/c I don't wanna risk losing time.

And if they have a problem with me applying to 34 schools, so be it. They know that we premeds have to maximize our chances of getting in somewhere and if applying to so many schools is within reason of our judgement, we don't have to justify it an AD COM. If anything, one would think that a person applying to MORE schools is better than somebody with a small number. With the amount of time, money and energy we invest in the apps, it shows diligence and hunger in the belly to go to med school. I don't see how it could be portrayed in a bad light at all, now that I think of it. Perhaps I'm just trying to make myself feel better. :confused:

PS: chops, check your PMs.

tweetie:

thanks for the PM....great suggestions! i appreciate them!

Chops:
I read the thread above and that's what made me start this one. I wanna hear other's opinions b/c I'm concerned about making the wrong choice. Thanks though! I think I might just send my school list in, b/c I don't wanna risk losing time.

yeah....makes sense. definitely a good idea to bring this to the attention of everyone, not just people applying to tufts! i just thought i'd put this out there for people who ignored that discussion since they are related.

i wouldn't send it to tufts, but i can definitely see where you're coming from on the other ones. i think that they don't have any right to ask you that, but no one knows for sure, i guess. it might be worth it to just call the admissions offices of those other schools before you send it in, but that's just my opinion. go with what won't leave you worrying any more than necessary!

hey tweetie,
did tulane request the amcas copy in their secondary??

i don't think i ever sent them a copy for it, but i have an interview in 2 weeks with them. did they send you a letter? or email you? or did i just miss it???

they already have a copy of our amcas, i'm thinking that they're only requesting a copy of it in ORDER TO SEE what other schools we're applying to right???

especially since the printed out version of the amcas is not formatted well-- the PS comes out as a big blob. So the only reason i think they'd want the amcas is for the school list...

just my thoughts...

I'm starting to wonder if Drexel is one of those schools...DAMN it's taking them long to send out secondaries :mad:

Some schools are probably still having the same transmission problems they had with AMCAS last year. Or, they haven't updated their websites from last year, when they put the request on there because of the unholy mess AMCAS online turned out to be. They are definitely not asking because they want to see your list of schools. You do not have to send it to them, and you might be doing yourself a disservice by doing so. Why give them an opportunity to ask why you're applying to so many schools? The definite concensus of opinion last year on SDN when schools started asking for paper copies of AMCAS, was not to send in the list of schools.

EDIT: I'm dumb, sorry. ^^;

Anyway, I'd say not to send the page. Just highlight all of the other text and "print-selected text."

David:
Tulane sent a letter to me along with the secondary information a while ago. On it, they specifically mentioned us sending in our printed version of the AMCAS.

Kaos:
Wake Forest already sent rejections in. :( Including me. :( How can they not be sending you a secondary??? Call and find out.

SMW:
Is it going to backfire if we don't send in the list of schools? I just don't want them to disregard my application or call it an "incomplete app" if I don't send in my list. Know what I mean?

I can't remember if it was Tufts or Tulane, but one of them said on their website to NOT send in the list of the schools you applied to on AMCAS. Obviously they know it is a concern of everyone applying so they are telling us that they don't care either, unless they have other ways of finding out. So don't sweat it, chill out, and take that page out of the print out before you send it along.

Tweetie, I didn't send it in to any of the 23 schools I applied to last year. Now, maybe my 9 pre-interview rejects were because of that (actually I can't even recall if those schools requested it, and it would take far too much digging for me to pull that info out of my files). And 13 schools granted me interviews without knowing where else I'd applied (either because I didn't send them the list, or because they never requested a paper copy of AMCAS). I certainly never got any "file incomplete" notices due to not sending it, and I know my file was complete at every school I applied to.

yeah. tufts definitely said not to send in the list of schools you applied to. i read it on the website under secondary app instructions.

Thanks for the quick reply, SMW. I really appreciate it. I think I'll just keep that info out. 34 schools is not something to be proud of.

Originally posted by kaos
I'm starting to wonder if Wake Forest is one of those schools...DAMN it's taking them long to send out secondaries :mad:

I don't think Wake Forest is one of these schools, I got the secondary a couple of weeks ago. Its an online application. If you did not get it yet and you took the August MCAT they will wait for your scores before they send you one. They also screen before letting people fill out secondaries. BTW, they notified me about the website to fill out the secondary via e-mail.

Originally posted by SolidGold

I don't think Wake Forest is one of these schools, I got the secondary a couple of weeks ago. Its an online application. If you did not get it yet and you took the August MCAT they will wait for your scores before they send you one. They also screen before letting people fill out secondaries. BTW, they notified me about the website to fill out the secondary via e-mail.

WHOOOOOPSS!! Thanks for the heads-up--I got Wake Forest's secondary. It was my mistake! I meant Drexel! Sorry! Damn, I must be tired from lab work...It's DREXEL that I'm concerned about! :D

hey guys, Tufts says that they don't want the school list in your application report.

it is strange that they request your primary application, since, according to the AMCAS Traffic Rules, it is not our responsibility to provide them with our primary application.

notice that when you print out your application, it sometimes cuts off the last part of each page, so sections can get cut off/omitted.

is anyone else printing their amcas on high-bond paper?

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
is anyone else printing their amcas on high-bond paper?

Nope.