*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had no idea there was a placement test. I should probably do some research. I plan on taking anatomy/physiology, g-chem, and o-chem. I'll pick other classes when I get there but I know I for sure want to take... maybe a bio class too!

Members don't see this ad.

I GOT IN!!!
WooHoo, couldn't be happier :)
I will be attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Oakland, and in Oakland I shall stay.

I live in the Sunset, not a bad commute to campus :) If you have roommates, rent in SF can be affordable.

That could be a lengthy commute. Are you guys going to drive or bart to campus?

I usually casual carpool and then Bart to work (I work in San Fran), so I imagine I would do something similar for school. I have to figure that all out, though.

The commute ends up costing about the same, between BART or toll/gas. So then it comes down to the luxury of being in my own car vs. dealing with parking. I am planning on driving. I figure if I leave early I won't have traffic and I can find good parking. This will also leave time to either study, get coffee, or go for a run. Class starts at 8:30, so plenty of time to organize my morning. If it doesn't work, then I'll try BART.

We own our home so moving, at this point, is not a good option. We are also supporting my sister while she is in her first few years of college and she is attending school and working in the East Bay. Lastly, my husband is a teacher and can walk to work from our house. We will probably have to move for med school, so for now we are staying put.

I am incredibly excited about this and will just make it work.

Last edited:
The commute ends up costing about the same, between BART or toll/gas. So then it comes down to the luxury of being in my own car vs. dealing with parking. I am planning on driving. I figure if I leave early I won't have traffic and I can find good parking. This will also leave time to either study, get coffee, or go for a run. Class starts at 8:30, so plenty of time to organize my morning. If it doesn't work, then I'll try BART.

We own our home so moving, at this point, is not a good option. We are also supporting my sister while she is in her first few years of college and she is attending school and working in the East Bay. Lastly, my husband is a teacher and can walk to work from our house. We will probably have to move for med school, so for now we are staying put.

I am incredibly excited about this and will just make it work.

Yay, I'm really excited to start coursework and meet everybody as well :). June, get here already! Also, they already sent you info about the summer schedule? I haven't received anything. But I think it's because they had some technical error coding me into their system due to a name/ssn mismatch.

If you can purchase a campus parking pass, then I don't think parking your car (and keeping it safe) for the day should be an issue. If it were me, I would drive as well. I'm not even sure where the closest Bart station to SFSU is (Daly City?). And do they have shuttles to get you to campus from there? Barting might end up being inconvenient, in the sense that you would have to plan your schedule around the Bart/shuttle schedule. Driving really does give you more freedom in your day. However, the drawback is that potentially crappy traffic on 280/80. Also, on Bart you can read and study, whereas you can't (for obvious reasons) do that in a car lol.

Even though I live pretty close to campus (apprx. a 20-30 min bus ride), I'm considering driving as well. Mainly for the convenience of it. But we'll see. Gas and parking will end up being more expensive than a muni pass...

Wait, I'm not supposed to be reading while driving?! Dang it! lol

Yes, hurry up June!!!

No I don't have the schedule yet but I went into overdrive on the website and figured it out. Under the curriculum you can view an example weekly/daily schedule of each semester of the program. Then when the official summer schedule of classes (for the whole campus) came out I cross-referenced it with the "example" schedule and it looks the same. I figured it out because on the campus wide course schedule, PHPCP courses are designated as such.

I think the flexibility and autonomy of driving will win out for me. But I need to look more carefully at the parking situation. There is a Daly City BART shuttle, but I heard it crowds quickly. Some people even drive in and park at BART, and shuttle to campus.

Hey Cowgirl, how is the interview process? What do they ask?

Members don't see this ad :)

Why do you want to be a doctor? Otherwise, pretty informal, get to know you type questions. Where there are no right or wrong answers.

Also, sent in my acceptance today. Official!

Yeah, they really just want to know about your motivation. And, of course, just get to know you as a person. Try not to be too nervous :)

Just got in.

Is quitting my stable-good benefits-emotionally unfulfilling-ok paying job worth it to step into the unknown?

Really, Longcat and MedicalAuthor are right. Don't worry. Dress professionally but relax and be yourself. They are very friendly and down-to-earth.

Just got in.

Is quitting my stable-good benefits-emotionally unfulfilling-ok paying job worth it to step into the unknown?

Well, I assume you applied to SFSU because you desire a career change to a more fulfilling career in health care. If that is the case, then it makes sense for you to leave the job and focus on your studies. Being serious about getting into health care professional school requires that you will devote yourself to your studies, get the best possible grades and do well on you mcat/dat/pcat/(whatever test you'll end up taking). Working full time will only detract from you doing you best in your coursework.

Understandably, post-bacc is a huge financial commitment. But so is med/dental/pharmacy school. If you really want to keep your "stable-good-benefits-emotionally unfulfilling job" then maybe see if your employer will allow you to go switch to part-time?

PS I was actually in your shoes at the end of last year. And I decided to leave my soul-eating full time position and began taking a some classes through Open University at Sonoma State in January. It was a good decision. I have two pre-reqs out of the way and have gotten a feel for the science curriculum I'll be dealing with in for the foreseable future.

Last edited:
I think I read in someone's post that they looked through the SFSU Formal Post-Bac tentative course listing/schedule. I was wondering if someone could provide that link? Thank you for your help.

Does anyone remember the name of the course with the cadavres? Is it anatomy?

accepted as well :) do you guys know approx what rent for an apt would be in SF? otherwise ill be commuting from san jose :/

Hi everybody!
I'm a recently admitted AET student for this coming summer and have any of you been able to register for classes yet? I was informed to contact the co-director of the program and start discussing classes but have heard no response yet. Anyone else in the same boat?? Thnx!

hey Srs7,
I used craigslist to find a room for a decent price. =) Just browse through the sf bay area on craigslist and tons of people are listing vacant rooms everyday. I found a single room furnished for $700/ mo. which isn't bad for SF

Now I just need to find a roommate and place to live.

Hey cutxpaste!
Are you going to be an AET or CCT this summer??

AET this summer, as soon as I can get classes picked out.

AET this summer, as soon as I can get classes picked out.

Did you get any detailed instructions on registering for/picking out classes? I haven't heard anything since my letter of intent was sent in. Thanks for getting back to me. =)

No details yet. I contacted the co-director but haven't heard back. So I snooped: I looked up the list of electives on the summer schedule. Barbara in financial aid was very helpful though!

accepted as well :) do you guys know approx what rent for an apt would be in SF? otherwise ill be commuting from san jose :/

Congrats Srs7 and cutxpaste!

Don't forget we now have the Cohort 6 thread :)
And Facebook group as well.

good news and bad news........

good news is there will probably be a spot available in the post bacc program because I will no longer be attending it.

bad news is I wont get to meet all of you. Was really looking forward to having a great year with you guys

Got into dental school on the east coast, had to take it .... wish you all the best.. can't wait to see you all as professionals one day! Dont forget.... NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!!!

good news and bad news........

good news is there will probably be a spot available in the post bacc program because I will no longer be attending it.

bad news is I wont get to meet all of you. Was really looking forward to having a great year with you guys

Got into dental school on the east coast, had to take it .... wish you all the best.. can't wait to see you all as professionals one day! Dont forget.... NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM!!!

Dude, that's f*cking awesome! HUGE congrats :)

I got accepted. Does anyone know what are the next steps should be? wait for admission comittee's email? or has anyone receive any instructions yet?
thanks

I'm exploring my options for doing a pre-dent post-bac/smp program. I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out here.

What are the pros and cons of the aet program compared to an actual smp program (Masters Degree)?

I have some pre-reqs that I would like to retake as well. Is there any linkage with the aet program at sfsu to any of the dental schools?
Also, for those entering the aet program, which classes are you thinking about taking that will help you get in to ds?

Congratulations to all of you who got in where you wanted, I am hoping to get into the AET program next summer, so please feel free to comment on how the program is going, what you think of it, what classes you are taking, etc.

Hello Everyone,

First time posting here. Just wanted to say hello and that I am applying for SFSU Post-Bacc real soon. Just finalizing my personal statement and working with my professors for their letter of recommendation. Please wish me luck. I'm not exactly the best candidate when it comes to academics, but I have never been more motivated to becoming a medical doctor ever than this very moment.

-Cliff

SFSU is on my short list as I apply to post-bacc programs this winter.

Anyone in the AET program doing it part-time? I just need to take a few prerequisites and maybe a couple of upper-division bio...and what is your tuition fee if you don't mind me asking?:rolleyes:

Anyone in the AET program doing it part-time? I just need to take a few prerequisites and maybe a couple of upper-division bio...and what is your tuition fee if you don't mind me asking?:rolleyes:

Tuition is charged per unit, so you only pay for the classes you take. You can confirm on the website if you'd like (fees are listed under the appropriately titled "Fees" subsection of the Formal Post-Bac Program website) but currently it is $600/core course unit and a $500/elective course unit. A core course is something like a general prerequisite needed to get into med school...like bio,orgo,chem, physics. An elective is any upper div science. Starting Fall 2012, I believe they're raising fees up by $50 on each.

Man, that sucks. So if I enroll as a part-time student, would I still be in the Formal post-bacc program??

I hope I get into this program because it's (probably) the closest university offering the health post-bacc program. Does anyone else know of any other programs in the Bay Area? I know there's the CSU East Bay (Hayward) and the UC Berkeley Extension one. Can't apply to Mills or any other programs that requires applicants to have majored in a non-science major.

Man, that sucks. So if I enroll as a part-time student, would I still be in the Formal post-bacc program??

I hope I get into this program because it's (probably) the closest university offering the health post-bacc program. Does anyone else know of any other programs in the Bay Area? I know there's the CSU East Bay (Hayward) and the UC Berkeley Extension one. Can't apply to Mills or any other programs that requires applicants to have majored in a non-science major.

I'm leaning towards CSU East Bay myself over SFSU.

I'm applying at the moment as well! Good luck to you