Official SIU SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiekate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has received the actual acceptance yet this year but I thought I would start this thread so those who are going here next fall can start meeting other peeps.

I was accepted for this past entering class but I deferred to work full-time in research on the East Coast just outside of DC where I have been living for the past 2 years. Can't wait to get back to Illinois though. Born and raised in Peoria, went to school at Millikin University in Decatur, IL.

Hope to hear from some of my future class mates!!!!
:luck: :thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad.

katiekate said:
I'm not sure if anyone has received the actual acceptance yet this year but I thought I would start this thread so those who are going here next fall can start meeting other peeps.

I was accepted for this past entering class but I deferred to work full-time in research on the East Coast just outside of DC where I have been living for the past 2 years. Can't wait to get back to Illinois though. Born and raised in Peoria, went to school at Millikin University in Decatur, IL.

Hope to hear from some of my future class mates!!!!
:luck: :thumbup: :)

No one has recieved the outright acceptance just yet, from what little i know. The committee just met Nov. 29th to decide the fate of the first rounders.

Congrats on the acceptance, last year. Hope your project has been going well. SIU is by far my #1 choice so I really hope to be in your class next year! Got the AWPA letter in late October so I'm just waiting, very anxioiusly, with everyone else. How did that whole system work for you? Heard that those of us with the AWPA are in good shape...but i'll believe it when i see that REAL acceptance letter.

I was born and rasied in Springfield, actually. I went to undergrad at Illinois College in Jacksonville, went into pharmacy school right after graduation...wasnt my thing, so i learned...I left after one semester :eek: Came back here and have been working in a research lab at SIU and in the hospital. In September i left SIU to work in surgery at MMC full-time, just across the street.

There are a handfull of us who are seriously looking at SIU in pre-allo under "my fellow SIU peeps". Cant wait to bring the bulk of our convos over to this thread as a member of the class of '10! See ya in a few months (hopefully ;) )!

Hey,
So hopefully you'll be hearing from about acceptance tomarrow Sig. I say that because I was just put on the AWPA list and found out today. I did want to ask you what exactly is this list. At first I was really disappointed, I thought it was a waitlist but now I'm not sure. Are all people put on it before acceptance. Do all people get accepted? If you could please clarify.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, it's pretty much as your letter says...you have a good chance of being accepted if on the AWPA list, although acceptance is not garaunteed They do this so they can look at their applicant pool as a whole and pick from everyone, not just the early applicants. I think you can call and ask how many people are on the AWPA list, but I they won't tell you which number you are. I interviewed in early October of last year, got my AWPA letter in early December.

Be sure to keep the adcom updated with what's going on with your academics/work life and any changes that occur - esp the good changes such as publication or any awards you may receive. Always include in these letters your continued interest in SIU if indeed SIU is your top choice. They want to make sure their offers are received by people who will actually go there.

Well if thats the case, then thats a good thing I guess. At first I was really disappointed because I thought it was their wait list. I'm pretty gung ho about going to SIU and they know that so hopefully I'll be seeing ya there!

Anyone have any news? Financial aid stuff is starting to rear it's ugly head. FAFSA is only two weeks away and I am going to hate to report that I actually made money this year!!! Hopefully there is a way to bring my EFC down to zero since that is what it should be. good luck!!

katiekate said:
Anyone have any news? Financial aid stuff is starting to rear it's ugly head. FAFSA is only two weeks away and I am going to hate to report that I actually made money this year!!! Hopefully there is a way to bring my EFC down to zero since that is what it should be. good luck!!

Hi!
I received an acceptance to SIU at the beginning of the month. So far, it is my top choice school to attend. I just got the letter in the mail yesterday (and an e-mail today) about financial aid. I too am SOOO not looking forward to telling them I made money in 2005! (Personal note: everytime in the past I have applied for aid, they tell me to have my divorced mom who is barely getting by liquidate her capital *ahem* (sell her house) to pay for my education! I know they are probably going to try to do the same this year... in which case I will be attempting to creatively finance my education.) Please let me know if you find a way to get the EFC down--I definitely feel your pain on this!
Oh, btw, did you like Millikin? My little bro is looking to transfer from a Community College to a University, and Millikin offered him a good scholarship as a member of Phi Theta Kappa. He is thinking of majoring in Chemistry. I offered to help him look over his options during Christmas break, but I don't know much, if anything, about the school.

Happy New Year!!! Anyone filling out their FAFSA and the SIU finaid form? Even if you don't have an acceptance yet you should fill out the FAFSA with the possible schools you would attend.
What about housing? I'm flying out to C-dale sometime between March and May to look for an apartment and have been looking at various websites suggested by the SIU SOM website. Can't wait for more info!! Only 7 more months!! I'm becoming slightly neurotic with checking SDN and the SIU med website for any kind of updates or specific information for the fall entering class. These next couple of months are going to go soooo slow. Good luck this new year!!!!!

Question for PBMaxx or any other SIU kids out there....

What's the deal with anatomy at SIU? Is there an official class where we disect a cadavar or do we just look over a book? Or is it considered a learning resource that is 'optional'? I have looked all over the SIU website to see some sort of conclusive info about this but have been unsuccessful. I hope it's mandatory to attend this class because if it's optional I'm afraid I will not go.
Any info would be much appreciated.

got my acceptance on Dec. 2nd, 2005!! anybody know anything about housing down there?

erbs8908 said:
got my acceptance on Dec. 2nd, 2005!! anybody know anything about housing down there?

Congrats!!!! Are you still in Illinois or will you be moving from out of state? The website Megaboo put up is a great place to start. There is also a link to locals who rent out smaller apartments located on the SIUmed website. Go to the medical students area (no longer an applicant!!!!!!) and look for the housing link. You'll have to scroll down to find Carbondale housing.

Where did you go to school? Where are you from??

Have a great time not worrying about any more applicant stuff!!!

erbs8908 said:

Just curious...from the looks of your signature you are a dental school applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Megboo said:
Yeah, that will make a difference.... Alton vs. Carbondale!

I checked other posts from erbs and looks like he is a dental student all the way.

I put together a small Word document to help guide any of you future SIUers for housing purposes.

Keep in mind, these are my opinions only, but I have spent a lot of time in Carbondale, both in school and growing up in the area.

If I were moving today, I would rent a place out toward Giant City or in the country. You can get to campus from about 10 miles out in about 15-20 minutes, and it's worth your piece of mind. A little more pricey, but worth it.

Anyway, check it out, and PM me if you have specific questions about certain places. I'm living in Northern Illinois now, so I can't go check them out for you, but I can help as much as possible.

Also, the university housing isn't that bad either, but if I had to pick, I'd pick Southern Hills - it's in a pretty setting, close to main campus (by walking/bike) and pretty quiet.

Thanks Megboo! Much appreciated!

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the 2010 peeps out there. Today I officially became one of your 72 lucky classmates. Can't wait to meet you all and I'm looking forward to an awesome four+ years!!! :D

SigPi said:
Just wanted to give a shout out to all the 2010 peeps out there. Today I officially became one of your 72 lucky classmates. Can't wait to meet you all and I'm looking forward to an awesome four+ years!!! :D

Hell Yeah!!!!

Leave that door open Sig, I'm stepping on in as well ;)

So has the issue of housing come up in this thread (sorry I dont have time to read over it, about to run to class) what are some options?

Musashi450 said:
Leave that door open Sig, I'm stepping on in as well ;)

So has the issue of housing come up in this thread (sorry I dont have time to read over it, about to run to class) what are some options?

If you go down a few posts, I posted a housing guide to C'dale since I used to live there myself.

As far as housing, Megboo provided an excellent starting point for finding available places. I am coming out to C-dale in a month or so to look at the places. The webpage for Alpha Rentals looks very in depth and gives some more information on moving to carbondale and what to look for in a new place. I personally am going to live by myself since I have never had the opportunity to do so until now.

Let us all know if you get any more info from SIU. It's nice to know(sort of) two of my classmates already :)

katiekate said:
It's nice to know(sort of) two of my classmates already :)

Or three, perhaps-- I was accepted as well.

Anyone have any more information on when we should get our financial aid packages? I heard "early spring" but I wonder what that exaclty means. Also, any developments on the housing front? I've been staking out Alpha rentals and Villa Knolls Passe, but haven't gotten in touch with anyone yet. I was initially planning on coming out to C-dale to pick out a place in person, but I got in a car accident last week and my car was totalled so now I have to buy a new car and can't really afford a 'vacation' to Carbondale this spring. I think I'm going to have my mom or sister drive down from Peoria to check some places out. If anyone has any first-hand experience, good or bad, with some of the places Megboo mentioned please let me know. I figure it's not that important to find a great place, just clean, safe and quiet, since we'll only be there for ~10 months and picking up to move to Springfield.

Anywho, hope all is well and you all are using your remaining six months of freedom to the fullest.

katiekate said:
Anyone have any more information on when we should get our financial aid packages? I heard "early spring" but I wonder what that exaclty means. Also, any developments on the housing front? I've been staking out Alpha rentals and Villa Knolls Passe, but haven't gotten in touch with anyone yet. I was initially planning on coming out to C-dale to pick out a place in person, but I got in a car accident last week and my car was totalled so now I have to buy a new car and can't really afford a 'vacation' to Carbondale this spring. I think I'm going to have my mom or sister drive down from Peoria to check some places out. If anyone has any first-hand experience, good or bad, with some of the places Megboo mentioned please let me know. I figure it's not that important to find a great place, just clean, safe and quiet, since we'll only be there for ~10 months and picking up to move to Springfield.

Anywho, hope all is well and you all are using your remaining six months of freedom to the fullest.

You'll like Villa Knoll Passe - it's about 10-15 minutes from campus, depending on traffic, and quiet. Plus, you're only 5 minutes from the west side of the town, where the mall and big grocery stores are. If you can get in there, go for it! Larry is the owner's name and is a contractor - sometimes hard to get a hold of.

Hey guys long time no see (err read whatever). I think I might try and go down to C-dale this weekend. I've been looking at places around Murphysboro because it doesn't appear to be very far from C-dale at all and I garage is SUPER important to me since I love working on my car. I'll bring a camera down their with me and maybe I'll try and post some pictures or something. Dont hold it to me though if it doesn't happen this weekend but I'll try.

katiekate said:
Question for PBMaxx or any other SIU kids out there....

What's the deal with anatomy at SIU? Is there an official class where we disect a cadavar or do we just look over a book? Or is it considered a learning resource that is 'optional'? I have looked all over the SIU website to see some sort of conclusive info about this but have been unsuccessful. I hope it's mandatory to attend this class because if it's optional I'm afraid I will not go.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Anatomy is during the first year at Carbondale. Each group (of about 7-8 students) gets assigned a cadaver and performs the dissections. The attendance requirements differ across units. During Cardio, Renal and Resp. it is not as intensive, and not required attendance. During neuro (the unit we are in right now--the reason I haven't posted in over a month) it is WAY more intensive, and attendance becomes required for some sessions. I would imagine that anatomy falls somewhere in between for the 3rd unit (endocrine, repro, and GI), but I'll let you know in about 3 weeks.

Several of us live south on Giant City Road in the Pine Shores complex. They offer a nice range of housing options from townhomes to apartments. Some have gas fireplaces, washer/dryer in apartment. The company is pretty good about repairs and everything. I'll be looking to sublet this June if anyone will be looking in town!

PBM

financial Aid info:

I found out that the finaid award letters will be sent out in a couple of weeks as long as you have all of your information in to the fin aid department. Has anyone received a pin # for SalukiNet?

katiekate said:
financial Aid info:

I found out that the finaid award letters will be sent out in a couple of weeks as long as you have all of your information in to the fin aid department. Has anyone received a pin # for SalukiNet?

My initial pin # for the general SalukiNet system was the day of the month of my birthday (NOT the month) and the year I was born (4 digits total). My login was my SS#. You could try that to see if it works and look at your financial aid stuff there.

Any more info out there? Hoping financial aid awards will be released soon. I'm so ancy for more news so I can go look for an apartment. I have looked at the info on dailyegyptian and other housing websites as well as the SIUSOM 06-07 student budget, but does anyone know what the average rent that a med student is paying to live on their own? Will I be living in a trailer home or a spacious 1 br with washer dryer in unit? Just curious.

Also, anyone know when they'll be moving to C-dale?

It's funny....you wait and wait and wait to get your acceptance...then you have to wait and wait some more. I hate waiting!

Hi there-
I am also getting really antsy. I got my AWPA letter back in November and I have been waiting patiently, but I've got nothing yet. I called the admissions office a few days ago to see when the next batch of letters goes out, and she told me it would be within a few weeks. It would be nice to know 100% that I will be in Carbondale in August, but for right now I am still in limbo!! Anyone else heard anything recently?

Hi all! Hope the spring is ringing in warm for you whereever you are. Washington DC is freezing cold but hopefully warming up soon. Just wanted to give a bit of an update.

Financial aid awards are supposed to be sent out via e-mail in early April. I just got an invitation to an orietation on June 9th in Carbondale but I most likely won't be able to go due to my schedule at work. I called the office to see if 2006-07 student budgets were released but no such luck. Hopefully in a week or so. I asked how much is usually budgeted for rent and she said last year's was $450, which is pretty good.

Yay! I signed my lease for a 1 br apartment for $500 with Alpha Rentals today! It's on S. Illinois Ave and should be decent for the year that I'll be living there. Big plus with this company is that all of the apts have full size washers and dryers. I will be moving the first couple days of August after I take a two week vacation in California with my SO and family.

Work is getting pretty intolerable since I'm always thinking about school starting. There is so much to do and so little time that my motivation sometimes runs thin. Then I get it all back when I realize I only have 3.5 months left to work and earn $$$.

Dinner time now. If anyone is going through Alpha Rentals or G&R( they have units just across from where I'm going to live), let me know.

So, the e-mail addresses and passwords as well as login info for getting fin.aid info were mailed out on Friday of last week. I received my packet on Wednesday. It had all the information for the June pre-orientation, immunization requrements, etc. I'm still waiting anxiously for my fin aid award!

Are any of you going to the June 9th orientation?

katiekate said:
So, the e-mail addresses and passwords as well as login info for getting fin.aid info were mailed out on Friday of last week. I received my packet on Wednesday. It had all the information for the June pre-orientation, immunization requrements, etc. I'm still waiting anxiously for my fin aid award!

Are any of you going to the June 9th orientation?

Thanks for the update katiekate. Sorry you can't make it to the orientation in June. I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I'm interested but not anxiously waiting for my financial aid --scared to think how far my a$$ will be in debt. I guess it won't be as much as some people. SIU is a relative bargin for an M.D. these days it seems :eek:

Anyone taking a crazy vacation or doing anything exciting in this seond-to-last summer of our lives??

SigPi said:
Thanks for the update katiekate. Sorry you can't make it to the orientation in June. I'm pretty sure I'll be there. I'm interested but not anxiously waiting for my financial aid --scared to think how far my a$$ will be in debt. I guess it won't be as much as some people. SIU is a relative bargin for an M.D. these days it seems :eek:

Anyone taking a crazy vacation or doing anything exciting in this seond-to-last summer of our lives??

At the end of July I'm going to try and go to California and stay with a relative just north of LA. I know I don't want to work full-time up until the time that I move, which will be Aug 1.

in 12 days I will be going to the island of Saba (near St. Maarten) for a week long scuba diving trip. That is going to be one of my last hoorahs.

Has anyone else decided where they will be living?

katiekate said:
At the end of July I'm going to try and go to California and stay with a relative just north of LA. I know I don't want to work full-time up until the time that I move, which will be Aug 1.

in 12 days I will be going to the island of Saba (near St. Maarten) for a week long scuba diving trip. That is going to be one of my last hoorahs.

Has anyone else decided where they will be living?

SWEET. A group of nine of my buddies from college are taking a cruise to the bahamas starting April 19th, hopefully I'll make it back alive to start school ;)

Ditto about quitting the full time work. I'm thinking about taking off 2-3 weeks before I move (which will prob be August 1 as well). I know, what a slacker huh? I'm gonna try to squeeze another vaction in that time slot too. It will be expensive but what the hell, hopefully this will make me more focused when school starts (at least that will be my excuse :smuggrin: )

I've been looking at a few places online and in the papers. Gonna make the drive down there in the next couple weeks to check things out and hopefully sign a lease. A doctor that I work with (SIU alum too!) says his son is looking for a roommate and lives in a house in C-dale. That might be an option, but i really think I need my own space. Ah well, details details. I cant wait :thumbup:

Anybody interested in housing, I may be able to help out. First, I may be able to answer any general questions about student housing this year. Second, my roommate and myself will be moving out of our apt. the beginning of June and anyone interested in possibly a sublease, or maybe just a regular lease, let me know. Finally, I may be able to answer any general questions about school and life down here in Carbondale.

fattie_72 said:
Anybody interested in housing, I may be able to help out. First, I may be able to answer any general questions about student housing this year. Second, my roommate and myself will be moving out of our apt. the beginning of June and anyone interested in possibly a sublease, or maybe just a regular lease, let me know. Finally, I may be able to answer any general questions about school and life down here in Carbondale.

Thanks for the offer of help! I have been searching all the online sites I can find for apartment options in Carbondale (including the newspaper sites) and although I have come up with several promising possibilities, I am a little worried about actually committing to anything without seeing the place firsthand... I don't suppose you'd have a list of places to definitely avoid? I'm trying to get something as inexpensive as possible (less than $500 with basic utilities), but willing to compromise on cost if it lets me avoid hearing boisterous neighbors' drunken orgies, or living anywhere dilapidated or with roaches *shudder*. :scared:

Anybody here considering a roommate?

If you are and you might be interested in finding a place to share, PM me. It would be nice to have someone around as a workout buddy and occasional study partner. I have no preference for M/F. Finding someone who is relatively clean/neat is my only real concern; I think everything else would just be a matter of adjusting to each other's habits. :)

katiekate said:

SigPi said:
SWEET. A group of nine of my buddies from college are taking a cruise to the bahamas starting April 19th, hopefully I'll make it back alive to start school ;)

NICE! Hope you guys are having a GREAT time!!!

IDforMe said:
NICE! Hope you guys are having a GREAT time!!!

Just got back yesterday, have no voice left and have been sleeping all day long. In the 11 hours of sleep I got on this week long adventure I had a recurring dream. In it I was an account, trader, engineer, or in sales and was able to take week long, liver punishing vacations in warm places with my best friends every 1 or 2 years for the rest of my life. When i woke up I realized that I will be a poor, stressed medical student for the next 4 years and a sleep deprived zombie for 5+ years after that while I get postcards and 2nd hand stories form these guys. Sorry to be such a downer, but sometimes reality bites. Damn post-vacation blues :mad:

Oh well, I'll be doing what I love in the end and after residency the trip is on me ;)

I realize that school is serious business but I really hope you guys, and the rest of our class, likes to have fun and play just as hard as we work. Otherwise this may be a long 4 years. Well, time to plan my last vacation before school starts! Hope you all are enjoying these last few months.

SigPi said:
Just got back yesterday, have no voice left and have been sleeping all day long. In the 11 hours of sleep I got on this week long adventure I had a recurring dream. In it I was an account, trader, engineer, or in sales and was able to take week long, liver punishing vacations in warm places with my best friends every 1 or 2 years for the rest of my life. When i woke up I realized that I will be a poor, stressed medical student for the next 4 years and a sleep deprived zombie for 5+ years after that while I get postcards and 2nd hand stories form these guys. Sorry to be such a downer, but sometimes reality bites. Damn post-vacation blues :mad:

Oh well, I'll be doing what I love in the end and after residency the trip is on me ;)

I realize that school is serious business but I really hope you guys, and the rest of our class, likes to have fun and play just as hard as we work. Otherwise this may be a long 4 years. Well, time to plan my last vacation before school starts! Hope you all are enjoying these last few months.

Sounds like you had fun! :) And hey, at least you got a vacation! ;) :( I will be working for most of the summer to keep my car rather than sell it and go back to having a unreliable beater.

I know what you mean about thinking about how nice it would be to have those yearly vacations, though-- before reality rears its ugly head. I just keep thinking that it will be worth it in the end.

In the meantime, I hope to have as much fun as possible while still working my butt off. I may not be a total party animal (I hear that standard is set pretty high at SIUC) but I certainly don't intend to go insane with my head crushed under 110 lbs. of medical textbooks! :laugh: I think we will have a blast, we just have to make fun a priority too.

I just got back from my vacation in the Carribean! I want to go bck soooo badly!!!!!! Sun and warm weather all week. I went 129ft under the sea scuba diving and then 3,000ft above the sea while hiking to the tallest point in the Netherlands. It was a great week and I am now feeling like I am still in a boat ;)

Now that reality is back I have to start seriously planning my move to C-dale. I guess I still have two more days left of my vacation so I will start by catching up on laundry and getting some groceries!!

katiekate said:
I just got back from my vacation in the Carribean! I want to go bck soooo badly!!!!!! Sun and warm weather all week. I went 129ft under the sea scuba diving and then 3,000ft above the sea while hiking to the tallest point in the Netherlands. It was a great week and I am now feeling like I am still in a boat ;)

That sounds so amazing! I'm scuba certified, but I've never gotten a chance to dive in anything other than a nasty, mucky Illinois lake. :oops: Did you see anything really spectacular at that depth? Or take any pic's you'd be interested in sharing? It sounds like everything was gorgeous.

IDforMe said:
That sounds so amazing! I'm scuba certified, but I've never gotten a chance to dive in anything other than a nasty, mucky Illinois lake. :oops: Did you see anything really spectacular at that depth? Or take any pic's you'd be interested in sharing? It sounds like everything was gorgeous.

Hague Quarry?

Or Mermet Springs?

IDforMe said:

4 sharks (nurse, not any dangerous ones), several rays -one of which was a big as my car, cuddle fish, goat fish, beautiful sand dollars, awesome coral, and some very colorful wrasses, lots of other fish and plants that I don't know the names of. I'll have some pics in a week or so when my bf downloads them. everything on the island was just pristine. Clean and fresh and natural. The only bad thing was the strong wind and the steep elevation of the island...it is the top of a dormant volcano. pretty great stuff for my first dives. you should try like hell to get down to the carribean sometime. even florida for a few days. i was trained in murky, cold waters in NY and the carribean is absolutely no comparison... simply amazing. one really cheap place to go for great diving is Utila, Honduras. it is in the Bay Islands just off of the coast of the mainland. ~$150 for a week of diving, 3 dives a day. That doesn't include lodging or airfare, but if you look at utilalodge.com you can find a great package for a grand. Flights are roughly 4-500 RT.

I'm hoping to do some diving in the waters in SIU's area so I can get my advanced cert and maybe some others. I'd eventually like to do the National Geographic photographer program.

I really could have picked a cheaper hobby though - like needlepoint...lol. When I'm out of school, maybe I'll work just enough to pay for my scuba trips, haha. back to reality now :oops:

katiekate said:
4 sharks (nurse, not any dangerous ones), several rays -one of which was a big as my car, cuddle fish, goat fish, beautiful sand dollars, awesome coral, and some very colorful wrasses, lots of other fish and plants that I don't know the names of. I'll have some pics in a week or so when my bf downloads them. everything on the island was just pristine. Clean and fresh and natural. The only bad thing was the strong wind and the steep elevation of the island...it is the top of a dormant volcano. pretty great stuff for my first dives. you should try like hell to get down to the carribean sometime. even florida for a few days. i was trained in murky, cold waters in NY and the carribean is absolutely no comparison... simply amazing. one really cheap place to go for great diving is Utila, Honduras. it is in the Bay Islands just off of the coast of the mainland. ~$150 for a week of diving, 3 dives a day. That doesn't include lodging or airfare, but if you look at utilalodge.com you can find a great package for a grand. Flights are roughly 4-500 RT.

I'm hoping to do some diving in the waters in SIU's area so I can get my advanced cert and maybe some others. I'd eventually like to do the National Geographic photographer program.

I really could have picked a cheaper hobby though - like needlepoint...lol. When I'm out of school, maybe I'll work just enough to pay for my scuba trips, haha. back to reality now :oops:

Hey Katie -

Mermet Springs in Vienna, IL is about 45 mins from SIU and is a popular dive spot in So. ILL. It's murky, but you can still get your certs.

I too am a diver - I need one more cert and then I'll be a divemaster. My last trip was in the Bahamas on a liveaboard during Thanksgiving '03. Good times. 5 dives/day for 7 days (I barely slept!).

My mom and dad were in Belize last Jan. and mom went diving there and said it was amazing.

Makes me wish I lived on the coast!

megboo said:
Hague Quarry?

Or Mermet Springs?

:) Pearl Lake near the WI border. Murkey and the only interesting things to look at were the sunken school bus, the bakery truck and some fish-- including the one eyed one that wanted to eat my ear and finger. We didn't get to dive on the the side of the lake with the sunken airplane. All in all, cold and not really impressive.

katiekate said:

That is really neat! And thanks for the tip about Utila. My mom has a timeshare in the FL keys, but I have not been able to go down there with her since I got certified, since her time is in Feb. I know I will eventually get a chance to dive in some tropical environs, but I will definitely have to take a refresher course. I only did the one lake dive for my certification, and have not done anything else since then (like 8 years ago). Sounds like you and megboo could help me out on that front! ;)

Oh, and make sure you post some pics when your bf gets them downloaded. I would love to see them!

Hey everyone,
I'm on the AWPA list (I think that's the acronym). Anyways, I figure I better write a letter of interest soon, but I don't know who the dean of admissions is! Could someone please clue me in (preferably by private message)? Thanks!