Official Step 2 CS Results 10/12/2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just getting this started. Not that I'm obsessing or anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just getting this started. Not that I'm obsessing or anything about it.

Not that I'm obsessing or anything about it.

obsessing

Futurama-Fry.jpg

was waiting for someone to start it :-(
Everyday is a torture, I hope we all make it through

I am absolutely convinced I failed.

Forgot to summarize the HPI in all my cases! Ran out of time while closing on one case . I think I bombed CIS and could've been more empathetic in general.
I closed and counselled on all other cases though. But I feel you, I am freaked the hell out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am absolutely convinced I failed.

Forgot to summarize the HPI in all my cases! Ran out of time while closing on one case (patient kept asking questions about ddx and I mentioned cancer and he freaked out and time ran out!). Got flustered during my first examination, female SP and put the stethescope on her breast. I think I bombed CIS and could've been more empathetic in general.
I closed and counselled on all other cases though. But I feel you, I am freaked the hell out.

I didn't summarize the HPI in any case--I didn't think we needed to. I did do a reiteration of the patient's answers to questions in some cases where time allowed between HPI and PMHx. Terrific. Another thing to worry about.

Still seeing the full permit on my webpage, which has now convinced me that I've failed. Do you guys have the same thing--where the print permit icon opens to the full print out page rather than some text saying that the permit is not available? I know I shouldn't be thinking about this, but I can't stop. Just praying now.

Thats what I meant with the summary, so you're fine. Where after the HPI you say "So you told me you've had so and so....is this correct?" I didn't do that and only asked them "is there anything else I haven't asked that you'd like to tell me?"

I didn't summarize the HPI in any case--I didn't think we needed to. I did do a reiteration of the patient's answers to questions in some cases where time allowed between HPI and PMHx. Terrific. Another thing to worry about.

Still seeing the full permit on my webpage, which has now convinced me that I've failed. Do you guys have the same thing--where the print permit icon opens to the full print out page rather than some text saying that the permit is not available? I know I shouldn't be thinking about this, but I can't stop. Just praying now.

Mine is still the full print permit page, too. I doubt it means anything since there's still over a week until results are out (I hope at least!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I also did not summarize the HPI in any of the cases...didn't think we needed to. Also didn't ask if the patient had anything else to add but I did give plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Forgot to counsel one pt on smoking either. I didn't think the rest of the exam went horribly but knowing I forgot to summarize HPI and let patients add on additional info (where did it say we had to do that?) makes me a bit worried.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I also did not summarize the HPI in any of the cases...didn't think we needed to. Also didn't ask if the patient had anything else to add but I did give plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Forgot to counsel one pt on smoking either. I didn't think the rest of the exam went horribly but knowing I forgot to summarize HPI and let patients add on additional info (where did it say we had to do that?) makes me a bit worried.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
The summarization is mentioned in first aid and I think people generally do do it, either before the physical exam or before explaining their diagnoses and work ups.

ah, looks like I've found my people!

I've been anxiously awaiting these CS results since August.

My biggest concern is that I am applying into psych and ended up improving A TON between my average Step 1 and Step 2 CK. I'm terrified that I’ve now shot myself in the foot, particularly with my timing on CS.

Blegh. So what's the plan, folks? I know if I pass I'm going to CELEBRATE and withdraw a number of applications because I seriously overapplied out of fear for this score. But what do I do if I fail? I will try to retake it ASAP, but do I have to tell programs right away? Or wait until I have the subsequent pass in hand? Or can I wait to submit after rank lists are over, if my programs don't necessarily require it beforehand?

I hate this waiting so much. :( The thought of working so hard through med school and getting this far only to have THIS exam seriously affect my match results really bums me out. I hope we all get good news soon!!!

Last edited:
Blegh. So what's the plan, folks? I know if I pass I'm going to CELEBRATE and withdraw a number of applications because I seriously overapplied out of fear for this score. But what do I do if I fail? I will try to retake it ASAP, but do I have to tell programs right away? Or wait until I have the subsequent pass in hand? Or can I wait to submit after rank lists are over, if my programs don't necessarily require it beforehand?

I hate this waiting so much. :( The thought of working so hard through med school and getting this far only to have THIS exam seriously affect my match results really bums me out. I hope we all get good news soon!!!
I'm pretty sure the way we all gamed the system was to take Step 2 CS before September 15th but get the results after September 15th. That way you can report you took it, but golly it's USMLE's fault you didn't have any results when you submitted your app the first day.

Then you keep retaking CS until you get a pass, and hopefully report the pass before programs submit their rank lists. Many programs require a Pass before they will rank you. If you fail, don't volunteer that information!

The only flaw in this well-trodden plan is if you fail the first time, and then after November 9th a program asks if you got your CS results back by now.

I'm pretty sure the way we all gamed the system was to take Step 2 CS before September 15th but get the results after September 15th. That way you can report you took it, but golly it's USMLE's fault you didn't have any results when you submitted your app the first day.

Then you keep retaking CS until you get a pass, and hopefully report the pass before programs submit their rank lists. Many programs require a Pass before they will rank you. If you fail, don't volunteer that information!

The only flaw in this well-trodden plan is if you fail the first time, and then after November 9th a program asks if you got your CS results back by now.

Hm, I think my biggest concern isn't that I won't pass on a retake, but that programs seeing that I needed to redo it after a failed attempt right before ranking me would result in me being placed much lower on the list than they would have otherwise.

For those of us hoping to get results on 10/12, do you guys still have your print permit link visible on the front page? And when you click it, does it make a permit?

I ask because my permit link still hasn't disappeared but I feel like earlier last month the link just led to a page that said it was unavailable -- but now it actually goes to my permit? Hmm...

For those of us hoping to get results on 10/12, do you guys still have your print permit link visible on the front page? And when you click it, does it make a permit?

I ask because my permit link still hasn't disappeared but I feel like earlier last month the link just led to a page that said it was unavailable -- but now it actually goes to my permit? Hmm...

Yep, still there. NBME is going to have some kind of system upgrade or whatnot on Saturday, and if this is anything like CK, we might see the permit go down when NBME is back up. That's just a hypothesis, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Permit's gone! I hope this means what I think it means.

For others trying to figure out if the disappearing permit means you passed - my internet search found it says nothing about your pass/fail status anymore.

For others trying to figure out if the disappearing permit means you passed - my internet search found it says nothing about your pass/fail status anymore.

Well, I had started to feel a little bit better, and then you kindly came in as quickly as possible to strip me of my last hope. Thanks a lot.

Do you actually have a source, or just an "internet search?"

I wonder if permit disappearing holds true for people who have not taken their step 1 and step 2 CK?? coz my IWA just shows (OASIS- view the validity of your certificate of identification form) under "print/reprint documents"....
Lets hope

oh man. my permit link disappeared too. soooo, I went a step further and checked to see if it would allow me to sign up for a new test date (clicking the "new" box on the left). when I tried that, after the first few steps, it said:

"An open Step 2 CS registration already exists. If you tested, you may not reapply for the Step until your score is reported. If you did not test, you may not reapply for the Step until 7 days after your eligibility period has expired."

anyone else getting that message?

oh man. my permit link disappeared too. soooo, I went a step further and checked to see if it would allow me to sign up for a new test date (clicking the "new" box on the left). when I tried that, after the first few steps, it said:

"An open Step 2 CS registration already exists. If you tested, you may not reapply for the Step until your score is reported. If you did not test, you may not reapply for the Step until 7 days after your eligibility period has expired."

anyone else getting that message?

Yep.

can someone please put up the screenshot of their IWA homepage? I will be extremely grateful guys!

can someone please put up the screenshot of their IWA homepage? I will be extremely grateful guys!

I take it you're an IMG based on you taking step 2 CS before step 1 and 2 ck, so maybe things look different on your end and that's why I don't know what IWA or OASIS has to do with the NBME? Sorry but can't help ya.

I take it you're an IMG based on you taking step 2 CS before step 1 and 2 ck, so maybe things look different on your end and that's why I don't know what IWA or OASIS has to do with the NBME? Sorry but can't help ya.
oh yeah makes sense Now. I am sorry, for naiveness :-/

I took my test by Sept 8th.. is there the slightest pissibility that I'd get my results tomorrow?

I think you will since then the testing period is from 7/17 to 9/10. I believe the scores are usually released on the same day despite the fact that they give a large window. I, unfortunately, took the exam on 7/18 so this has been a loooooong wait haha

Permit link has disappeared too! Anyone know what time this goes up tomorrow? 11AM EST, like CK?

Last edited:
Permit link has disappeared too! Ugh I'm so nervous.

Anyone know what time this goes up tomorrow? 11AM EST, like CK?

Prolly-based on other threads, some people get it later in the day. Unless the NBME decides you haven't suffered long enough and makes you wait a week or more.

Got an email with mines at 8:42AM.. I'm an IMG so I don't know if it will be the same for everyone.

Thank God this is over, positive outcome on this end! Took mines at Houston on September the 8th.

Last edited:
Looks like another IMG got their Step 2 CK score on another thread. Do they normally get their scores first?

For future AMGs. Our schools get our results this morning. We get them later in the day.

Reactions: 1 users
USIMG, exam in Chicago on July 18th, so I blocked out the exact release date from my mind other than it being Octobery. Application stress helps.

Pass. ICE was comfortably in the pass, CIS was up against the far right border, and apparently I make make Englishy sounds better than everyone else.

I felt comfortable about Step 1 and CK, but waiting on CS is so stressful not knowing how the scoring works.

Prolly-based on other threads, some people get it later in the day. Unless the NBME decides you haven't suffered long enough and makes you wait a week or more.

It'll be bad enough if I don't get it at 11EST today, if I don't get it until next week...pure torture.

I just got my result, I passed Alhamdolilah.I am an IMG, took it in Houston.If I can pass, anyone can.(only 2 stars in borderline in ICE)
I already posted my experience for anyone going through agony.let me quote again:

1) i flustered in 1 case+ patient looked uncomfortable
2)patient looked unsatisfied wth my answers
3)wrote the mneumonic in front of patient in another case (I dunno what I was even doing)
4)incomplete closure in 1 case+ did not leave the room decently (did not say, sorry I have to answer a pager)
5)counselling in 3-4 cases
6)2 challenging questions messed up (i AM STILL not sure about my answers)
7)auscultated over breast
8)forgot one patient’s name while talking (and this was a rude patient)
9)placed the writing pad on chair when I got up to examine patient
10)forgot to document few examinations
11)may have wrongly documented things I have not done
12)did not do 1 important pertinent exam , also I documented positive things in physical examination part but forgot to put it in supporting evidence
13)3-5 2nd and 3 rd diagnosis were complete **** up
14)may have forgotten some important investigations
15)never rechecked my notes (did capitalize in few places)
16) Some of the patients had no challenging questions for me "

but I made it through, we all can. Godspeed.

Congrats to those who passed!! I'm an AMG waiting for my score to post. I checked to see if it would let me register for a new test after my permit link disappeared and it wouldn't let me (tried yesterday). This morning, it seems to be letting me register for a new test day. Kinda worried :/ anyone try registering for a new test date?

I haven't gotten an email either. Took the stupid thing all the way back on 7/18. If I don't get results in two minutes, I may explode lol

No email,-Philly 8/10

Edit: Check your score report-mine's up, but I didn't get an email.

PASS!

Reactions: 1 users