*** Official StonyBrook Acceptance thread 2009 cycle***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats guys!! See you in June! =D

Btw, if you're choosing between Columbia and SB, why don't you take a second look tour? Both schools were receptive to that last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Small means Bad News bro.
I got a large packet with a big certificate inside.

I gt a small packet with an acceptance letter, I guess they send all their letters out differently.

Watup klutzy. Mets are close to getting Krod!

Members don't see this ad :)
Watup klutzy. Mets are close to getting Krod!

From what I hear, theyve agreed to terms. I want both him and Fuentes though. Im a greedy pig I know but after the last 2 years I am allowed to be greedy.

Allright, mets got Putz. Who's next.

I gotta say, for some reason, Mets fans always seem so much more diehard than Yankees fans.

hey, lots of buffets around stony brook area... i think in june, we should hit up a couple...

Last edited:
hey, lots of buffets around stony brook area... i think in june, we should hit up a couple...

Chill, Everybody knows the only REAL buffet is the 72 ounce steak challenge. :thumbup:

I gotta say, for some reason, Mets fans always seem so much more diehard than Yankees fans.

Well thats cuz we arent fronrunners, that just jump on the bandwagon when our team is playing well. Its rare that the mets are playing well so it takes some serious devotion there.

Well thats cuz we arent fronrunners, that just jump on the bandwagon when our team is playing well. Its rare that the mets are playing well so it takes some serious devotion there.

So what happens if say the Mets wins 5 straight world series. Do you guys become front runners then? :laugh: What about someone whos been a Yankees fan all their lives through the good and bad. Are they front runners too?

I'm a straight Hockey fan and I don't know much about Baseball at all so don't take it the wrong way lol. I mean the above questions with all seriousness.

I'm goin to the devils bruins game on the 23rd! My first hockey game actually...I hear its insane.

Hockey is the best. Dunno if your game will have any fights though. I mean a hockey game without a fight is wasted. The Devils vs Rangers game the other day had like three separate brawls.

-_- our thread is so dead lol. I hope they send out the next round soon so we can get some action over here.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what happens if say the Mets wins 5 straight world series. Do you guys become front runners then? :laugh: What about someone whos been a Yankees fan all their lives through the good and bad. Are they front runners too?

I'm a straight Hockey fan and I don't know much about Baseball at all so don't take it the wrong way lol. I mean the above questions with all seriousness.

There really hasnt been much bad for Yankee fans. as for us mets fans, well lets just say that we never have had 5 straight world series, and in all likelyhood never will. We are happy when we win one. Last time was 21 years ago sigh...

Yea I hear that man. I live like 5 minutes away from shea. Just went to a Mets vs Phillies game a while ago. Baseball is cool but gets kind of boring near the middle of the game. I remember they were tied that game for like 4 extra innings and everyone just couldn't wait to leave.

So dude, how diehard mets fan are you? did you buy some shea stadium seats?

So dude, how diehard mets fan are you? did you buy some shea stadium seats?

Im no fool lol. WTH am i gonna do with old stadium seats. Nah I watch or listen to like every game, and go to a handful of games a year but I dont spend alot of money on them each year. Now with these new stadiums I cant even afford to go games anymore. Oh well

Hey does anyone know if we get time to do work on each other at stony? I think I want to get a invisaline for my upper teeth.

Hey does anyone know if we get time to do work on each other at stony? I think I want to get a invisaline for my upper teeth.

Do you have a few thousand dollars to shell out for the invisalign?

You can get ortho done at a reduced rate if you're a student. Apparently first year is great for that because you'll have more time, especially in the second half (first half anatomy sucks up a lot of time). One of the fourth years said she got her ortho done for 1500, so I'm gonna look into it myself. Don't know so much about invisalign, though. Also depends on your case. Doesn't hurt to have an eval done when you get to SB.

Invisalign is expensive because the company that makes it charges a lot. Unlike an ortho with wires and brackets, the dentist does little work other than an impression with invisalign. A school is not gonna pay for it.

Invisalign is expensive because the company that makes it charges a lot. Unlike an ortho with wires and brackets, the dentist does little work other than an impression with invisalign. A school is not gonna pay for it.

Yea I know the school will pay zilch. I got one crooked incisor I thought I would fix but if its too much I'll just pass.

So even a general dentist can do invisalign? I thought straightening procedures like that were only for orthos.

Yea I know the school will pay zilch. I got one crooked incisor I thought I would fix but if its too much I'll just pass.

So even a general dentist can do invisalign? I thought straightening procedures like that were only for orthos.

Any dentist can do invisalign.. you just take a course from the people who make it. The computer system does all the work. It is not really an "orthodontic procedure" as the treatment plan is devised by a computer in some lab.

Well it's not that bad for Middle of Nowhere, Long Island.

Plus so far the clinical training has been great.

Good, glad you are enjoying it. The clinical training is fairly weak in my opinion (especially in oral surgery, endo [I've been told you do only a couple of root canals?], and pedo [the last kid you see is in your 3rd year?!?]). I only mention this because more than a handful of GPR residents that are graduates of Stony Brook seem to be lacking in areas that they should have some knowledge of.

I will say that the didactic education appears to be top-notch. I think you get very above average training in the sciences, which is nice.

Good, glad you are enjoying it. The clinical training is fairly weak in my opinion (especially in oral surgery, endo [I've been told you do only a couple of root canals?], and pedo [the last kid you see is in your 3rd year?!?]). I only mention this because more than a handful of GPR residents that are graduates of Stony Brook seem to be lacking in areas that they should have some knowledge of.

I will say that the didactic education appears to be top-notch. I think you get very above average training in the sciences, which is nice.
Not sure about endo yet but I know we start it sometime 3rd or maybe even beginning of 4th year in clinic. The class starts end of 2nd year and continues into 3rd year.

Pedo starts 2nd year in February. It definitely continues through 3rd year with specific days for children's clinic. In 4th year they might just assign you children randomly, instead of having a set day for all children's appointments. I feel the course itself (at least in 2nd year) could be a lot better. But of course there was that terrible incident a couple months ago.

Oral surgery... I don't know. We're finishing up our OS course next month. All 2nd year we have 3 rotations in OS and need to do at least 2 extractions (I've done 1 so far). After that we can start extractions ourselves. As for anything else involved with OMFS, I do not know how much we do. I have heard that it is lacking though.

Operative dentistry, however, seems to be very strong so far. And yes, the science classes are pretty intense and in-depth.

You must be joking? In my opinion the facilities are poor. Just my 2 cents.

poor compared to what? I've only been to NYU and UMDNJ and I didn't think they were any better. Also, from what I've been reading about Columbia's clinics, yea you know the deal.

can anyone shed more light on this besides Streetwolf? Thanks.

can anyone shed more light on this besides Streetwolf? Thanks.

haha having second thoughts already? The only school I would pass up Stony Brook for is non other than Harvard. People may say that we have crappy clinics, which we don't, but the truth is that all of the dentists I have talked to told me the Stony grads they met during residency had damn strong clinical skills. Therefore, either people have no clue what they're talking about, or we're just so well taught that we don't even need fancy clincs.

Also, the nonsense on the other thread from above is just ridiculous. Who honestly thinks coming to a well respected dental school like Stony Brook will hurt your chances of specializing in anything? Also, how many of you knew you wanted to go dentistry before you stepped foot into undergrad? Likewise, how do you even know you wanna specialize in a certain field or even specialize at all before you step foot into dental school? nine times out of ten your goals will change in the next four years of your life. Furthermore, how do you even know you will have the grades to specialize? Even if you do make the grades, can you really swallow another three years of school after four years of dental school? All of these uncertanties proves nothing but the fact that it is pointless to judge a school based on "specialization rates." Lets not count our chickens too fast and lets first think about which school will make us a strong dentist. That concludes my 2.5 cents

Thanks wannab2
and yea i agree with what you are saying Peter. I already handed in my deposit and i dont have any second thoughts... its just always helpful to hear what others are saying while taking it with a grain of salt. By the way, are you on the facebook group?

Second thoughts or not, these are valid considerations before committing 4 years to a dental school...

Still it would be nice for fightingspirit to give us an update. It has been over a year...

Yea well anything is a "valid consideration."

Seems like fightingspirit does not have much of a fighting spirit. Three weeks to study for boards = man up, we get three weeks because we're so well taught that we only need three. Buff gets eight because well, I won't go there. Plenty of people specialize from Stony. 7 people from class of '07 got a specialty which is a lot considering they only had 39 people in their class. Thats 2 OMFS, 3 ortho, 1 prostho, and 1 perio. So contrary to what he said, it appears that Stony is great for people who want to specialize in ortho and OMFS.

Personally I am choosing Stony because of the extraordinary Steak Houses in proximity. Then the sweet tuition, the security of getting one's own personal chair, the small class size, the strong clinics are all just the sauce on my steak.

Yea well anything is a "valid consideration."

Seems like fightingspirit does not have much of a fighting spirit. Three weeks to study for boards = man up, we get three weeks because we're so well taught that we only need three. Buff gets eight because well, I won't go there. Plenty of people specialize from Stony. 7 people from class of '07 got a specialty which is a lot considering they only had 39 people in their class. Thats 2 OMFS, 3 ortho, 1 prostho, and 1 perio. So contrary to what he said, it appears that Stony is great for people who want to specialize in ortho and OMFS.

Personally I am choosing Stony because of the extraordinary Steak Houses in proximity. Then the sweet tuition, the security of getting one's own personal chair, the small class size, the strong clinics are all just the sauce on my steak.
Yeah cause we're so excited to start studying for the boards after having 1 or 2 tests every week from November through June haha. It would be really nice to have 8 weeks off!

By the way I'm not joking about 1 or 2 tests every week. We get off for winter break, spring break, and this year there's no test during Memorial Day week. That's all we get.

And 7/39.. not sure if that's a lot. I don't keep up with the #s of other schools. But so far in my class I don't know of anyone who has their eyes set on any specialty. I personally am keeping OMFS in mind but we'll see.

I personally am keeping OMFS in mind but we'll see.

lol yea OMFS is serious business. If I ever make the grades for it I would certainly consider it. Six more years after dental school is really hard to swallow:eek:, but the shiny MD degree would look real pretty right next to the DDS. Nothing beats a Double Doctor

Anyone hear anything?

I doubt they call anyone tonight....???

I had to choose between Stony and UPenn. So, here's what went into my decision last year, I won't knock UPenn.

What I was told last year was that the small class size translates to solid and diverse clinical training. The facilities could definitely be better, but as far as procedures go, you are much more likely to meet all your requirements and then some at a small school like Stony than a bigger school. And the personal attention is great. Of course, I'll be able to give a better review of the clinic once I actually enter it next year.

Didactic training lives up to the hype. First year you are in the hospital with the med students more than you are in the dental school. You're a first year medical student basically, so those little things that are "not important for dental students" at other schools are required at Stony. That might not be what you're looking for, but it's what I wanted, and I think it'll make me a better dentist.

What I'm most impressed with, now that I'm a student here, are the other students. Fact is, if you come to Stony you're going to join some of the top applicants from your cycle, and that's going to help you learn. This is probably the best part of Stony.

As for reputation, Stony Brook is becoming more well known as a top detnal school. Maybe not across the country, but certainly in the northeast people in the dental, and even medical community know that Stony trains great dentists.

And the price just clinches it, though price shouldn't play too much of a part in your decision, IMO.

That's my pitch for my school.

Good luck guys!

Out of curiosity, how many applications does Stony receive each year?

I just talked to a faculty at Stony (not at the dschool) and he told me we get about 5000 applications every year which sounds pretty far fetched.

I've heard 3500+ and increasing every year. In 2007 there was only about 1200 or so apps. So it kinda gives you an idea how fast it grew...

Anyone know if we'll hear anything before the 15th ?

Last edited:
I've heard 3500+ and increasing every year. In 2007 there was only about 1200 or so apps. So it kinda gives you an idea how fast it grew...

Anyone know if we'll hear anything before the 15th ?

I doubt it prob 15th or 16th they will start calling again.....

At least I hope :luck::xf:

recieved an acceptance voicemail from Dr. Cinotti today at 4:45! there is a very good chance I will be attending

I received a call from Dr. Cinotti on the 14th. I already sent my deposit in to UConn, and I withdrew from everywhere except for SB because it was the only school that I would ever choice over UConn (that I applied to). Now I'm left with a pretty difficult decision. Good thing about it is I can't make a bad choice.

Congrats to all of you who made it!