***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MINBEE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
WE LOVE DOWNSTATE!!!!! Now let's show some love!!!

Who's down to go to Downstate and make the sexiest class of 2013???

:banana::biglove::banana::biglove::banana:
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hahahah
Downstate <3! Congrats Class of 2013, I can't wait to meet you all!

Congrats to you folks! I'm glad to see you guys so excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay for this thread =) cheers to all those who are accepted and all those waiting to hear back!:xf:

Anybody know what's the percentage of MS1 living in the dorm? And what's a good place to live after MS1?

HIIIIIIII Pat, supergirl and mcgyver!!!! :clap:-- Are you guys still deciding between Downstate and other schools?

I was wondering the same about the residence halls stuff...Dr Roboto are you currently in the residence halls and what do you think about them? I cannot remember what it looked like from when I had my interview...:oops:

Me too! :D hey everyone!

Anybody know what's the percentage of MS1 living in the dorm? And what's a good place to live after MS1?

I don't know the percentage, but a large number of students live off campus in nice neighborhoods of Brooklyn such as Park Slope, Prospect Heights, and Fort Greene. I will be living off campus the first year... I'm not a NY resident and would like to gain state residency for the in state tuition... I heard you can't do that by living in the dorms. Also, my boyfriend plans on moving with me so living in the dorms really wouldn't work.

And yeah MINBEE, I'm going to DS for sure ... Who's excited for August!?

I was wondering the same about the residence halls stuff...Dr Roboto are you currently in the residence halls and what do you think about them? I cannot remember what it looked like from when I had my interview...:oops:

Sorry. I live off campus. So I can't speak about the dorms. I'm sure Soggun will stop by. He/she's a MS2 and gave me plenty of info when I was in your shoes just last year.

If you are not a NY resident, you can qualify for resident tuition after living off campus for a year. I know only a handful of schools allow this.

I don't know the percentage, but a large number of students live off campus in nice neighborhoods of Brooklyn such as Park Slope, Prospect Heights, and Fort Greene. I will be living off campus the first year... I'm not a NY resident and would like to gain state residency for the in state tuition... I heard you can't do that by living in the dorms. Also, my boyfriend plans on moving with me so living in the dorms really wouldn't work.

I believe for my year it was about 50/50 on and off campus. But that changes because the year before mine, they had more request for housing than available and this year there were rooms available even during orientation. Off campus housing is relatively convenient at the aforementioned areas. I know people who even commute from Manhattan. They're mostly non-lecture going folks though. But they're not at any disadvantage because we have handouts, lecture presentations, podcasts, and lecture transcriptions available.

Hmmmmm I keep going back and forth between finding an apartment and just settling on the dorms. knowing the size and conditions of the dorms and the number of people sharing them etc would totally help tho...maybe I should go back on the second look.

dorms would be awesome cos I can roll out of bed and rock my jammies in class.....:thumbup::laugh:

Boop1 r u dorming it?

Hmmmmm I keep going back and forth between finding an apartment and just settling on the dorms. knowing the size and conditions of the dorms and the number of people sharing them etc would totally help tho...maybe I should go back on the second look.

dorms would be awesome cos I can roll out of bed and rock my jammies in class.....:thumbup::laugh:

Boop1 r u dorming it?

Well, I think I'm dorming first year at least. I'm a ny resident. I was looking into park slope but it seems kinda expensive and since I don't know anyone yet it might be weird. I think I want a single though and I hope I can get one if I dorm. :D Are you from ny? I need to go back and visit too! :cool:

Every year is different. I think my year (MS2, c/o 2011), it was about 50/50, and the c/o 2012 I think it went up to like 55% or more in the dorms. Soggun may know exact numbers because he's worked with student life. A lot of people that chose to live off campus go to the places ItsPat mentioned - Park Slope, Prospect Heights, etc. I know some people also decide to just find a place within a few blocks of school and walk it every day. Some also have places in Manhattan and commute, but I think most of them already had their apartments before they started at Downstate.

I live on campus and find it really really convenient because I study late at night and can never study in my room - mostly in the carrels (24 hours). Also, I know it was mentioned already, but living on campus does save a lot of sleep time that would otherwise be spent commuting. You can wake up 20 minutes before class and get there with time to spare. Also, if you're like me and like studying at school late at night, your "commute" back home is as short and safe as possible.

Thanks Kfire :) Do you have a one bedroom apt, single or double studio or standard room? I looked at the rates for the residence halls...getting a single could be expensive.

Do you find the size of the standard room doable?

Boop1, yeaa Im a ny resident too. My family lives at lower manhattan actually but i wouldn't want to commute...me a lazy @ss :p

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when they send out housing materials? also, has anyone received anything aside from the second visit letter?

Thanks Kfire :) Do you have a one bedroom apt, single or double studio or standard room? I looked at the rates for the residence halls...getting a single could be expensive.

Do you find the size of the standard room doable?

Boop1, yeaa Im a ny resident too. My family lives at lower manhattan actually but i wouldn't want to commute...me a lazy @ss :p

I have a studio single, which is the most expensive. Studio doubles and studio singles are the exact same room... it's just a matter of if there's 1 or 2 people living in it. The room is very big though - bigger than any room I lived in in college (dormed all 4 years). I can't give exact dimensions, but there is definitely comfortable living space for one person. Depending on living style, who the other person is, etc it can be big enough for two also. I lived with roommates in college in much smaller rooms.

The studio apartments have full kitchens (fridge, oven, stove, microwave), with a good amount of cabinet space, and their own bathroom. So obviously if you're in a studio double you'll be sharing the bathroom/kitchen with your roommmate. The one bedroom apts you can think of as two bedroom apartments, and you're living in one of the bedrooms. They're called one bedroom apartments because it used to be that there was just one bedroom and a big living room, but then they put up partitions to make a second bedroom out of the living room (probably because of high demand for the res. halls). You share a kitchen and bathroom with the person living in the other room.

I've never lived in a standard room, and have only been in one once (during orientation). From what I know you have your own bedroom, but you share a half bathroom (toilet/sink) with the person next door to you... there's a common bathroom in between the two rooms, and it has 2 doors - one that opens to each room. The showers are communal - the whole floor shares a shower room. I'm not sure if the floors are sex-segregated or if there are two shower rooms or if the showers are mixed.

For the fall semester my studio single came out to about $5,000 or so.. maybe a bit more. It depends on when you start because housing charges on a per-day basis. They have to because different programs (Medicine, PT, Nursing, Ph.D., MPH, etc) start and end on different dates. A studio single is about $43/day. A one bedroom is about $32/d, and a standard room is like $20-25/d. These are rough numbers that I'm remembering from a while back...

When did you guys interview? I interviewed in mid November and am still waiting, its driving me crazy!

I also live on campus and for the most part I would recommend it. I debated a long time between living on campus or moving to park slope and I think if I had to do it again I would still choose on campus. Convenience is the main draw. Your first year I guarantee you'll be in the anatomy lab after midnight on more than one occasion, and I wouldn't want to deal with commuting at 1am around here. And if your alarm clock doesn't go off right before a big exam, when your friend calls you from outside the exam room and demands you get over there right away you still have a chance of making it. It's also nice to be able to hang out with your friends late at night when everyone is fed up with studying and there are always parties and gatherings going on.

On the downside, you're living in a dorm. I've heard people say that it doesn't feel like a dorm, it feels like an apartment building, but in my experience...it feels exactly like a dorm. Oh, and you're not allowed to bring an air conditioner unless you have a doctors note or one was left behind and these rooms get HOT.

I also have a studio single and as Kfire said they're decently sized. You can bring your own furniture if you want, and I know a few people who have couches or full/queen sized beds. Counter and kitchen space (in my opinion)is almost nonexistant-most people I've seen with studio singles tend to turn their second closet into a pantry, but I'm a girl and I have lots of clothes. The "one bedroom apartments" have one true bedroom and one fake bedroom (it has a 3/4 wall and the closet is outside your bedroom).

If I remember correctly the studio singles come out to slightly less than 1300 a month but that's with utilities included (and think of all the money you save on transportation).

Hope this helps.

:hello:Orange86-- no idea about the housing material and i haven't heard from them after the second look letter either.

Destro27--Don't worry just yet it's been about 8 weeks so you should be hearing back anything soon. It's peak time for the schools now also. I interviewed in early sept and heard back late oct. I wish you all the best, hopefully you'll join us soon!! :xf::luck::xf: keep us posted!

Kfire + stellastarr-- thanks sooo much for the info guys!! :) I think studio double would be my best bet right now. But the fact that air conditioners aren't allowed makes me sooo sad. I hate sweating in my sleep haha.

when did you guys put in housing preferences and when did the housing situation get finalized?

Also I can't really find much info on the daily class schedule for MS1. Usually when did your day start and end?

Also I can't really find much info on the daily class schedule for MS1. Usually when did your day start and end?

http://prime-clinical.downstate.edu/source/calendar_View.asp?Calendar=134 Here's the MS1 calendar for 2008-2009. Right now we're on the cardiovascular block. But since we took care of CV anatomy two weeks before Xmas break, our afternoons at the moment are usually free, which really helped with the post-vacation blues. But otherwise, the setup is 1-3 lectures in the morning (starting at 9am if there are 3 lectures), lunch, then some afternoon stuff until 3 or 4pm. Depending on the day, the afternoon stuff could be anatomy lab, histology lab, case-based learning (CBL) small group, or visiting our preceptors.

:hello:Orange86-- no idea about the housing material and i haven't heard from them after the second look letter either.

Destro27--Don't worry just yet it's been about 8 weeks so you should be hearing back anything soon. It's peak time for the schools now also. I interviewed in early sept and heard back late oct. I wish you all the best, hopefully you'll join us soon!! :xf::luck::xf: keep us posted!

Kfire + stellastarr-- thanks sooo much for the info guys!! :) I think studio double would be my best bet right now. But the fact that air conditioners aren't allowed makes me sooo sad. I hate sweating in my sleep haha.

when did you guys put in housing preferences and when did the housing situation get finalized?

I did the housing preference form as soon as I could... I probably returned it no more than a week after I got it. I think that was around March or the beginning of April. There was also a different housing director 2 years ago, so things may be different now... but I don't think you should expect it any time soon. They're most likely going to contact us about staying in our rooms before they send anything out to new students, and that hasn't happened yet.

Hey all! Just wanted to say hi.

I do have a question though: What are the odds of getting a single? (not looking for some specific numbers or anything, but just a rough idea?)

Thanks Kfire and Dr Roboto!! :D

I looked at the schedule it's good that it's not like classes from 9-5.

What did you guys think about your first year overall? What did you enjoy and hate? What would you have done differently etc? Anything that comes to mind and you don't mind sharing :nod:

:hello: HELLO fuzzywuz!! Are you deciding between downstate and stony?

Hey Minbee!

Yup, I'm absolutely torn between SB and Downstate... Still leaning towards Downstate though. The clinical experience and learning opportunities are just too hard to pass up. I'll sit on this for a few more months lol

Hey Minbee!

Yup, I'm absolutely torn between SB and Downstate... Still leaning towards Downstate though. The clinical experience and learning opportunities are just too hard to pass up. I'll sit on this for a few more months lol

Haha come to downstate!!! :banana:

Actually it sounds like you are already you just don't wanna burn your bridges :laugh: It's better to have options than not. stony waitlisted me I don't like them anymore...:smuggrin:

Haha come to downstate!!! :banana:

Actually it sounds like you are already you just don't wanna burn your bridges :laugh: It's better to have options than not. stony waitlisted me I don't like them anymore...:smuggrin:

It's alright, Downstate isn't bad one bit! I also wanna see what kind of financial aid I'd be getting from both schools..I doubt it'd be much haha

What did you guys think about your first year overall? What did you enjoy and hate? What would you have done differently etc? Anything that comes to mind and you don't mind sharing

Downstate was my first choice so my opinions are probably very biased. :laugh: So far I'm enjoying med school. Sure, there are good days and bad days, but I can hardly blame Downstate for the bad days. It is med school after all. I dislike (hate is too strong) the system where we're only able to see the answers to the exam in the 15 mins they allot after the exam to go over it. So far I've never stayed because I usually finish early and I'd rather run some long overdue errands. This way they keep the exams secure and don't have to rewrite most, if not all, of it the following year. It keeps the exam fair from year to year, but the downside is that people like me never find out what they got wrong. But I can live with that, as long as I'm doing well of course. :laugh: I guess I can also complain about the facilities and how everything is kinda old but that's pretty low on my list. Though for some, that's a deal breaker. Whatever floats their boats.

What I do love is everything else: my classmates, the camraderie, the professors (most of them), the docs I work with, and having access to support from my family and non-med school friends because I'm staying in my hometown. Not to mention, we just recently had our student-faculty show and I really had a blast working on it with a bunch of my classmates. You can watch the MS4's skit here http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=210459291353039447&hl=en Theirs was very good. I'll post the MS1's as soon as someone uploads it.

And as for what I would have done differently, definitely would have started going to the gym earlier in the year. You can't underestimate the value of exercise in med school. And getting into a routine as early as possible. I appreciate how our first block facilitated that. It's Genes to Cells, which is basically molecular bio and genetics taught at med school speed. So that gave us about 3-4 weeks time to settle down, adjust to a new life, and figure out a routine.

Anyway, you'll have plenty of opportunities to speak to the incoming MS2 when we set up your orientation. In the meantime, celebrate your achievement and relax!

Hey Dr. Roboto or any current DS students!

I'm wondering if its possible to have a job while at DS. I'm not talking about intense stuff, but work on campus, school library, dorms, etc.

I'm curious if theres anyway to recoup some money while in school.. hahah

EDIT: Also, I wanna ask... how much time do DS students get between Step I and end of year 2?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Dr. Roboto or any current DS students!

I'm wondering if its possible to have a job while at DS. I'm not talking about intense stuff, but work on campus, school library, dorms, etc.

I'm curious if theres anyway to recoup some money while in school.. hahah

EDIT: Also, I wanna ask... how much time do DS students get between Step I and end of year 2?

Thanks!

Yes you can work on campus. The student center hires students, and you can become an RA starting your second year. You can also be a transcriber for your class and get $60 per hour of lecture that you transcribe ($72 if it's the week of a test), you can be a podcast recorder if you're a class goer (not sure of the pay). Obviously there's research that might be payable... at least during the summer. Second year you can be an anatomy tutor or histo tutor for first years, you can lead review sessions on MS1 lecture material. I'm sure there's more that I don't know about or am not thinking of. I'm an anatomy tutor and transcriber and it doesn't get in the way at all.... balancing your own school with anything extra is just a matter of time management and knowing your own limits.

As far as step 1 and beginning of 3rd year, etc... Step 1 is taken after you finish second year but before you start third year. You cannot start third year rotations until you've taken step 1. Second year ends the first week of may. This year it's May 6th. Third year starts July 1st. You can take step 1 any time you want as long as you've taken it by July 1st. They (office of academic development, dean and associate deans of student affairs, curriculum dean, third/fourth years) all recommend taking the test at least 1 week to 10 days BEFORE July 1st, so like June 20-23 at the latest... some even recommend 2 weeks, but it's all up to you and how much study time you need and how much down time you want. You schedule your own date, but Downstate's student affairs deans help you with the whole process of registering and scheduling, which is GREAT... We already scheduled ours by beginning to mid December - before other schools even started talking to their students about registering (so our friends at other schools tell us).

I'm very confused about the timing qualifications for gaining NY state residency in order to get in-state tuition starting MS2. According to this site, http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/est_residency.html
"The deadline for change of residency by matriculated students with appropriate documentation is one month prior to the registration date for your college for the next semester (you must file a change for residency status six weeks prior to the registration deadline that you wish to have the change in effect)."

So, does that mean I need to have lived in off-campus housing for one year + 6 weeks prior to the 2010 registration deadline? If the registration deadline is say August 23, 2010 do I need to live in an apartment since the latest July 13, 2009 to qualify?

I hope someone can help me with this because the in /out state tuition difference is a lot and I wouldn't want to make a mistake by moving into a place too late! Thanks

You need to have lived off campus for at least a year by the time you apply for in-state residency. And you need to apply for in-state residency at least six weeks before registration.

So, does that mean I need to have lived in off-campus housing for one year + 6 weeks prior to the 2010 registration deadline? If the registration deadline is say August 23, 2010 do I need to live in an apartment since the latest July 13, 2009 to qualify?

Yup, you have the right idea.

For current DS students, are the dorms quiet? I tend to be a light sleeper, and definitely do not want to worry about not being able to sleep b/c of crazy parties.

You need to have lived off campus for at least a year by the time you apply for in-state residency. And you need to apply for in-state residency at least six weeks before registration.

Yup, you have the right idea.

Crap. That's a pretty long time to be living in NY before school starts (I'm from NJ)... Any other OOS'ers in this situation?

Well thanks for the reply DrRoboto!

For current DS students, are the dorms quiet? I tend to be a light sleeper, and definitely do not want to worry about not being able to sleep b/c of crazy parties.

Depends who you live next to and when... Personally, I've lived here two times and the only times I've been disturbed by noise is when they have fire drills.

After blocks there are sometimes parties, though most of the time people go out instead (and even if you aren't partying then, you'll probably want to let some steam off in some other way). Also, I've found people are very considerate, so if you have an issue (with noise or whatever else) just ask them and they'll probably resolve it... and if you have a bigger issue, everyone signed a contract to live here so the higher-ups can take care of your issue for you.

Yes you can work on campus. The student center hires students, and you can become an RA starting your second year. You can also be a transcriber for your class and get $60 per hour of lecture that you transcribe ($72 if it's the week of a test), you can be a podcast recorder if you're a class goer (not sure of the pay). Obviously there's research that might be payable... at least during the summer. Second year you can be an anatomy tutor or histo tutor for first years, you can lead review sessions on MS1 lecture material. I'm sure there's more that I don't know about or am not thinking of. I'm an anatomy tutor and transcriber and it doesn't get in the way at all.... balancing your own school with anything extra is just a matter of time management and knowing your own limits.

As far as step 1 and beginning of 3rd year, etc... Step 1 is taken after you finish second year but before you start third year. You cannot start third year rotations until you've taken step 1. Second year ends the first week of may. This year it's May 6th. Third year starts July 1st. You can take step 1 any time you want as long as you've taken it by July 1st. They (office of academic development, dean and associate deans of student affairs, curriculum dean, third/fourth years) all recommend taking the test at least 1 week to 10 days BEFORE July 1st, so like June 20-23 at the latest... some even recommend 2 weeks, but it's all up to you and how much study time you need and how much down time you want. You schedule your own date, but Downstate's student affairs deans help you with the whole process of registering and scheduling, which is GREAT... We already scheduled ours by beginning to mid December - before other schools even started talking to their students about registering (so our friends at other schools tell us).

Thanks for the thorough input!

Quick question for accepted students... Has anyone signed up for shadow a student? Or attended a session?

For current students... When's the best time to come by? I don't want to come while you guys are in the midst of exams.

Hahaha The MS4 skit was so funny. The red bull iv...:laugh:

Regarding job opportunities..I was looking over the work study positions and they are not bad at all. I wonder how many of the current students do work study?

I haven't signed up for shadowing a student yet but I am looking to. I feel the need to look at the dorms again. As fuzzywuz asked...whens a good time? :D

Thanks for the thorough input!

Quick question for accepted students... Has anyone signed up for shadow a student? Or attended a session?

For current students... When's the best time to come by? I don't want to come while you guys are in the midst of exams.

The best times are days when theres only 1 or 2 lectures (3 gets to be a little much I think) and some sort of small group activity. Don't worry about it though, when you contact Ms. Levine, she'll put you in contact with a student and they'll let you know what they recommend in terms of days that are representative of a normal schedule.

They may or may not be on the forums, but there have been a bunch of shadows so far... Personally I've had one and will be taking another around next Tuesday. I've also seen on the schedule between 2 and 4 each week since we came back to school at the beginning of Jan.

I just sent an email to the admissions office about Shadow-A-Student, but haven't heard back yet. I may try calling next week if I still haven't heard. I want to make sure that everything is fine before I withdraw from Stony Brook's waitlist and commit to Downstate.

Looking forward to meeting you guys before orientation in August! :)

I just sent an email to the admissions office about Shadow-A-Student, but haven't heard back yet. I may try calling next week if I still haven't heard. I want to make sure that everything is fine before I withdraw from Stony Brook's waitlist and commit to Downstate.

Looking forward to meeting you guys before orientation in August! :)

someone start a facebook group! :rolleyes:

someone start a facebook group! :rolleyes:

:laugh: I totally would but i feel like it's probably just gonna u and me Boop. Unless more people r gonna join then I'll start one...:thumbup:

Please reply only if you have been accepted for the class of 2013.

Could you guys give me idea about date of application, date of interview, date of acceptance, GPA, MCAT, and state of residency.

My application was complete 1/7, no interview yet, not accepted yet:xf:, GPA 3.91, MCAT 30, State of residency New York.

They say they will let you know through your email, how true is that?

Thanks and Congrats on being accepted

Could you guys give me idea about date of application, date of interview, date of acceptance, GPA, MCAT, and state of residency.

My application was complete 1/7, no interview yet, not accepted yet:xf:, GPA 3.91, MCAT 30, State of residency New York.

My stats are on my MDapp profile...but basically 30 MCAT and 3.9 ish GPA. NYS resident (live in NYC) I applied really early..I think I finished my secondary in mid-late july. I was interviewed on 9/10 and accepted on 10/20.

They did send out interview invites through email...GOODLUCK!!!!:luck::xf:

GPA 3.6, MCAT 31N, NY resident, application submitted 8/14, complete 9/11, invited for interview 10/7, interview date 10/30, accepted 12/5.

Interview invites are received via email, acceptance packages via snail mail. Good luck!

Maybe after May 15th :p

:laugh: I totally would but i feel like it's probably just gonna u and me Boop. Unless more people r gonna join then I'll start one...:thumbup:

Yeah, I don't think you're really going to see most people commit to Downstate until after May 15th, waitlist movement notwithstanding.

GPA 3.6, MCAT 31N, NY resident, application submitted 8/14, complete 9/11, invited for interview 10/7, interview date 10/30, accepted 12/5.

Interview invites are received via email, acceptance packages via snail mail. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

What do you think my chances are?

Thanks for the info.

What do you think my chances are?

It's tough to say. Your stats are likely good enough, but your late application definitely hurts. Just keep your fingers crossed :xf:

Is anyone considering the MD/MPH program or do any current students know anything about it? I'm interested in doing an overseas elective during fourth year, and I see on the website that MD/MPH students are given preference. Is it really difficult to try to complete both programs in 4 years? Thanks, I appreciate any input!

Is anyone considering the MD/MPH program or do any current students know anything about it? I'm interested in doing an overseas elective during fourth year, and I see on the website that MD/MPH students are given preference. Is it really difficult to try to complete both programs in 4 years? Thanks, I appreciate any input!

I'm interested as well! BUMP

Ok, well I'm not MD/MPH but I have a bunch of friends who are. I don't really know the relationship to doing an overseas elective during 4th year (though I'm pretty sure that's at least open for everyone to apply for). In any case, I don't think its very difficult to complete both in 4 years. The caveat to that is that you have to devote your summers to the MPH. From what I've heard from my MD/MPH friends, the vast majority of intensive coursework is done during those summers, so during the year it's only classes one night a week I think. I can't really speak to the workload during the year beyond that except to say that it doesn't seem to be a significant issue and most people in the program can focus on their MD during the semesters.

Ok, well I'm not MD/MPH but I have a bunch of friends who are. I don't really know the relationship to doing an overseas elective during 4th year (though I'm pretty sure that's at least open for everyone to apply for). In any case, I don't think its very difficult to complete both in 4 years. The caveat to that is that you have to devote your summers to the MPH. From what I've heard from my MD/MPH friends, the vast majority of intensive coursework is done during those summers, so during the year it's only classes one night a week I think. I can't really speak to the workload during the year beyond that except to say that it doesn't seem to be a significant issue and most people in the program can focus on their MD during the semesters.

the overseas elective is open to all who apply, but priority is given to MD/Mph students. Check out the website.