***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to pop in here and say "Hi!" since it's very possible I'll be joining you guys in the fall. I'm out of state so I'll have to live off campus for at least a year so I can get residency. I have no idea how to even begin finding somewhere to live! But I'll worry about that later.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure it's everywhere... You need the BLS cert to do any sort of patient care and since DS does pt care 1st year, we need the cert. At least, that's what I've always thought, someone else correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks. good to know. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
so many questions don tknow were to start. Is the BLS same thing as the CPR cert on the status page so I can do that with red cross? or where do you do it? websites would be very appreciated. 2) Im an OOS been accepted since Dec and only recently found this link where has it been. I recognize dynezxcie from other threads tho... HEY future classmates. WHERE is everyone living? I'm not feeling the dorm thing and craiags list doesnt help coz i have no idea where anything is. So what do you guys thin? Im moving to NY 1st week of june and staying with friends till school starts. do you think I will be able to find a place while im in the area? 3) Fin Aid??? OMG I'll save the rest of my questions for tomorrow...lol where is this facebook group again??

so many questions don tknow were to start. Is the BLS same thing as the CPR cert on the status page so I can do that with red cross? or where do you do it? websites would be very appreciated. 2) Im an OOS been accepted since Dec and only recently found this link where has it been. I recognize dynezxcie from other threads tho... HEY future classmates. WHERE is everyone living? I'm not feeling the dorm thing and craiags list doesnt help coz i have no idea where anything is. So what do you guys thin? Im moving to NY 1st week of june and staying with friends till school starts. do you think I will be able to find a place while im in the area? 3) Fin Aid??? OMG I'll save the rest of my questions for tomorrow...lol where is this facebook group again??

Hey dana!! Glad you could join us. Here's the fb groupie:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67150365730

As for the BLS class, it is the same one as on the status page. For more info, check out the fb group wall. I'm thinking of a single standard room in the dorm. But that's cool if you're not into the dorms. most people share apts in Park Slope, which is a really nice neighborhood that is not too far from Downstate.

HEY future classmates. WHERE is everyone living? I'm not feeling the dorm thing and craiags list doesnt help coz i have no idea where anything is. So what do you guys thin? Im moving to NY 1st week of june and staying with friends till school starts. do you think I will be able to find a place while im in the area?

Yeah, I'm out of state too and have no idea where I'll live and how to find living space. I'm also not 100% certain I'm going yet. If I am, I'm planning on moving end of June/beginning of July.

I was wondering if anybody had seen this yet:

http://sls.downstate.edu/student_affairs/residency/res_place_2009.html

The Match list for this past week. Not too shabby!

I have no idea how to properly interpret match lists. :confused: How I know if it's good or not?

I have no idea how to properly interpret match lists. :confused: How I know if it's good or not?

Only the person who matched can interpret his/her own match result. We have no idea what went into the decision making when the person ranked programs. A person's rank list is very personal. Small community programs vs bigger academic programs? Location of residency? Where on the ranked list is the program in which the person matched...top 3 or last one? Whether or not the specialty the person matched in was even his/her first choice? We don't know these things, and even if we did, it would do us no good because we're all different.

Think of it as speed dating. You go with your friends. Check out the girls (or guys) and then rank them on a list. How are you going to interpret your friends' lists?

hey back to everybody!!! i'll get on the fab sooner or later.. dont really get on it much since i broke the addiction..lol. when is this BLS thing due again?? anyone know off the top of their head.. I could probably find the answer myself in my pile of SUNY stuff but maybe someone has it at the top of theres. I think I'm gonna stick with trying to find an off campus spot because that IN-Sate tuition is VERY VERY attractive right now..... might save me some tens of thousands of dollars.. leaving me better off than the $1/4 million in debt i was looking at. YIIIKKKEESS

Crap. That's a pretty long time to be living in NY before school starts (I'm from NJ)... Any other OOS'ers in this situation?

Well thanks for the reply DrRoboto!

i had this concern as i couldnt make it to ny that early, and wondered if i needed to start paying rent on a place in july. i ended up just moving to Bklyn Aug 1st, then in early July of the next year I turned in 12 rent checks, 11 gas bills, and all the other stuff, and i got state residency a week before school started in the fall.

then, i blew the 10k i saved on a wild binge! your mileage may vary.

1. As far as I know, yes, BLS = CPR. I think they specifically want a certain American Heart Association -certified course... I don't remember.

2. It's been around.

3. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67150365730&ref=ts
the name of the group is &#9829; SUNY Downstate College of Medicine Class of 2013 &#9829;

For those who received their financial aid letter, was there a line that says:

"This letter gives information about your financial aid, but does not indicate acceptance at Downstate. Official acceptance comes from the Admissions Office."

I would assume that you wouldn't even be packaged for finaid if you didn't get accepted bc that would be a waste of time on their end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Kfire and Sonof for the detailed response what would i do without u.

For those who received their financial aid letter, was there a line that says:

"This letter gives information about your financial aid, but does not indicate acceptance at Downstate. Official acceptance comes from the Admissions Office."

I would assume that you wouldn't even be packaged for finaid if you didn't get accepted bc that would be a waste of time on their end.

Yeah, you wouldn't get the financial aid letter before your acceptance letter anyway, but I guess they just wanted to keep those things clear (shrugs).

2 things:

(1) to all you guys who got their financial aid letters...

when did you sumbit the FAFSA? I sumbitted mine towards the priority deadline, and i haven't got mine. Or maybe i did and my father never told me about it.

(2) I have the CPR certification (BLS), as i took it winter break. Do I have to send it to them now, or do i wait until when i matriculate?

2 things:

(1) to all you guys who got their financial aid letters...

when did you sumbit the FAFSA? I sumbitted mine towards the priority deadline, and i haven't got mine. Or maybe i did and my father never told me about it.

(2) I have the CPR certification (BLS), as i took it winter break. Do I have to send it to them now, or do i wait until when i matriculate?

1) I submitted my FAFSA in early February and I got the award letter like two weeks ago.

2) You can probably send them a copy of the certificate now and they'll just add it to your file.

1) I submitted my FAFSA in early February and I got the award letter like two weeks ago.

2) You can probably send them a copy of the certificate now and they'll just add it to your file.

Was the award letter by e-mail, or postal?

Just went to my shadow day today...

most important thought --- Park Slope is awesome. Still probably dorming first year, but its tempting.

Just went to my shadow day today...

most important thought --- Park Slope is awesome. Still probably dorming first year, but its tempting.

You went to Park Slope during your shadow day? I didn't think we were allowed to request that, haha.

Regardless, I'm sure that's where most of the 1st years will hang out, dorm or no dorm.

You went to Park Slope during your shadow day? I didn't think we were allowed to request that, haha.

Regardless, I'm sure that's where most of the 1st years will hang out, dorm or no dorm.

Well the guy that I was shadowing lived there so we just took a walk around there during the day. I was just able to tell its a pretty nice area with some things happening. I agree, thats where the spot will be regardless, but it just makes it better when you live there. I'm sure I will live there 2nd year and on.

Just so you know, Park Slope isn't exactly a cheap neighborhood to be living in, especially when you factor in travel expenses (subway ride will increase to $2.50). Not to burst your bubble, but I just don't think it's worth it.

Just so you know, Park Slope isn't exactly a cheap neighborhood to be living in, especially when you factor in travel expenses (subway ride will increase to $2.50). Not to burst your bubble, but I just don't think it's worth it.

agreed, but he was indicating to me that the rent prices for Park Slope are going down with the bad economy. Apparently it is close to 200 dollars a month cheaper than usual.

Just a consideration. I still am going to live in the dorms first year, simply to meet people and for the convenience.

Hi. Current Downstate students, how is anatomy lab worked into MS1 and MS2? Is it throughout both years?

Hi. Current Downstate students, how is anatomy lab worked into MS1 and MS2? Is it throughout both years?

Nope, anatomy lab is 1st year only. The first block is called "Genes to Cells" and has no anatomy componant. Every block after that is based around an organ system and has an anatomy componant (except Neurology which has neuroanatomy done in a seperate area - done with preserved sectioned brains, not from the cadavers you use the rest of the year).

Thanks Soggun. I was also wondering, I heard at Downstate, students can do research during their first year. Is there really time for that, and do they get paid?

Thanks Soggun. I was also wondering, I heard at Downstate, students can do research during their first year. Is there really time for that, and do they get paid?

I'm a current 4th year med student from Downstate.

Yes, there is time for that, but you need to have good time management skills. A more practical thing to do is to start research in spring of first year, do the bulk of the work during the summer and then finish it up during 2nd year. This is what I did, and I published as first author.

Only the person who matched can interpret his/her own match result. We have no idea what went into the decision making when the person ranked programs. A person's rank list is very personal. Small community programs vs bigger academic programs? Location of residency? Where on the ranked list is the program in which the person matched...top 3 or last one? Whether or not the specialty the person matched in was even his/her first choice? We don't know these things, and even if we did, it would do us no good because we're all different.

Think of it as speed dating. You go with your friends. Check out the girls (or guys) and then rank them on a list. How are you going to interpret your friends' lists?

Very true. For example, I didn't want to live in a city anymore and my spouse had to find a place for work. My top choice (and where I matched) was a program that was a top choice for my specialty, but not one of the usual suspects.

Having said that... we did awesome.

Does anybody know what the interest rate is for unsubsidized loans from DS? Also, if we elect not to take as much money (unsubsidized) from DS first year, will that affect our eligibility for future years?

Last edited:
I heard at some med schools it is hard to get into the electives that you want when you want them during clinical rotations. I know at Einstein it's a random lottery, and the students there don't like that. What is it like at Downstate?

Does anybody know what the interest rate is for unsubsidized loans from DS?

If by unsubsidized, you mean the federal one, the current interest rate is at 6.8%. I don't think DS has their own loan program.

Also, if we elect not to take as much money (unsubsidized) from DS first year, will that affect our eligibility for future years?

I'd like to know as well.

If by unsubsidized, you mean the federal one, the current interest rate is at 6.8%. I don't think DS has their own loan program.

I'd like to know as well.

I'm pretty sure the loan award amount depends on student budget vs. EFC so no, taking out less loans your first year will have no effect on the award package for the next years.

Another thing to note about unsubsidized stafford loans- the interest rate is 6.8% but that accrues during the time you're in school. That's different from the subsidized stafford loans where the interest is also 6.8% but that doesn't start accruing until after you graduate, plus a 6 month grace period.

Hey guys!

I got in a while ago but finally narrowed it down between DS and OHSU (which I am on hold at...). I'm out of state and would prob live off campus...but don't know good places to live? Any suggestions??

Sure... Most students who are off-campus live around Park Slope, though that can be a bit on the pricey side ($1100/month is pretty much as cheap as you can go). Brooklyn Heights is another option which I believe is slightly cheaper. Lastly, there are a number of students who live within a few blocks of the school - a much cheaper option, but you get what you pay for (i.e. the same lack of restaurants, nice places to go, etc. in the immediate area without the security that the residence halls offer).

Once the class is more certain (after May 15th) you guys will get access to our web system (PRIME) which you can then use to find roomates in your class and such... though of course you could always use SDN or facebook for that purpose.

Good luck with your decision!

Hey guys!

I got in a while ago but finally narrowed it down between DS and OHSU (which I am on hold at...). I'm out of state and would prob live off campus...but don't know good places to live? Any suggestions??

Sure... Most students who are off-campus live around Park Slope, though that can be a bit on the pricey side ($1100/month is pretty much as cheap as you can go). Brooklyn Heights is another option which I believe is slightly cheaper. Lastly, there are a number of students who live within a few blocks of the school - a much cheaper option, but you get what you pay for (i.e. the same lack of restaurants, nice places to go, etc. in the immediate area without the security that the residence halls offer).

Once the class is more certain (after May 15th) you guys will get access to our web system (PRIME) which you can then use to find roomates in your class and such... though of course you could always use SDN or facebook for that purpose.

Good to know that we can use PRIME to find future roommates. I'm out of state and am going to live off campus also. On this page http://sls.downstate.edu/residential_life/accommodations/offcampus.html it says that an off-campus housing list is available. I called them twice to email/fax it to me and they always say sure, we'll fax it over... but then I never actually receive it. Is there such a thing is an off campus housing list, or do we need to resort to craigslist?

Thanks! Another neighborhood that I saw which wasn't too far away and was a bit cheaper is prospect heights...is that neighborhood a bit safer? Also, as a Californian, I am addicted to my car...how is parking in brooklyn, i've heard street parking is easy.

Thanks! Another neighborhood that I saw which wasn't too far away and was a bit cheaper is prospect heights...is that neighborhood a bit safer? Also, as a Californian, I am addicted to my car...how is parking in brooklyn, i've heard street parking is easy.

It depends on which area of Brooklyn you're in, but I would learn to love the subway if I were you.

It depends what part of prospect heights you're talking about. If you're in the IMMEDIATE (like less than 2 blocks max) vicinity of Brooklyn museum, Brooklyn Public Library, Grand Army Plaza, etc., that's the safer part of Prospect Heights. From what I've heard (no personal experience), the rest of PH, especially the side east of Washington Avenue isn't where you want to live. It's not a great neighborhood as far as I know. As far as stuff to do in the area, it's probably about a 15 min walk from the Brooklyn museum to 5th ave. in central Park Slope and 3-4 subway stops from Atlantic Center... nothing in the immediate vicinity, but definitely closer to the action than East Flatbush (Downstate).

Park Slope is a much better neighborhood than Prospect Heights because it's a young area (young professionals and young families) and it's relatively safe. There's also stuff to do when you want to get out - restaurants, bars, lounges, cafes, convenience stores, laundromats, etc., and if you're in northern Park Slope, aka North Slope, Atlantic Center (mall + supermarket + movie theater + like 12 subway lines + probably more that I don't know about) is closeby.... but from elsewhere in Park Slope it's only like 2-3 subway stops away which is no biggie.

I'm looking to move out of the dorms for third year, my top choice is Park Slope, 2nd choice is PH close to the library and museum.

Oh, and no idea about the parking situation in Brooklyn... learning to love the subways sounds like a good idea though. The waiting list for a spot in the Downstate parking garage is a ridiculous 2.5-3 years last I checked, so don't hold your breath on that one.

Last edited:
Quick question for those at DS now.

I'm looking to rent out a parking spot. Is that possible? By renting, I'm referring to houses near by that rent out their garage or driveway or something to that effect.

Any ideas?

Hi fuzzywuz. I revisited DS and there was a local parking garage. The student to which I was speaking thought the garage charged about $175 a month.

i got my financial aid and it includes $2000 in work study. is it advisable to have your first year even if its only 4 hours a week or something like?

Hi fuzzywuz. I revisited DS and there was a local parking garage. The student to which I was speaking thought the garage charged about $175 a month.

I can't comment on cost, but if you're talking about the garage right next to the dorms and student center (I think between 35th and 36th?), then you should know that the wait list is about 2.5-3 years last I heard. I think it's because the lot is shared with University Hospital faculty.

I can't comment on cost, but if you're talking about the garage right next to the dorms and student center (I think between 35th and 36th?), then you should know that the wait list is about 2.5-3 years last I heard. I think it's because the lot is shared with University Hospital faculty.

Well, you're right about that lot (speaking of which, I need to go find out when I'm likely to get a spot in there - been on that WL about 2 years now), but there's another lot a block away... not sure of exact streets but I think it's on Lenox or Clarkson about a block from the hospital. that lot I think has space as long as you're willing to pony up the cash. The honest truth though is that 1st and 2nd year you really dont need a car here - and please don't fill that lot before I get a chance to reserve a spot, because I'll definitely need one for 3rd year :thumbup:

Hey Soggun. When I was revisiting, my host told me that first years have a preceptorship, and I think she said that the location of your preceptorship is usually determined by where you live (eg if you live in Queens, DS will try to give you a place in Queens). My questions are: Is this correct? Does this same preceptorship continue through your second year? And does the preceptorship take up the entire day? I am wondering because this may affect my living arrangements.

Hey Hess,

Thanks for the heads up! $175 a month might be a tad too expensive..

I'll need to do some more research!

When I was revisiting, my host told me that first years have a preceptorship, and I think she said that the location of your preceptorship is usually determined by where you live (eg if you live in Queens, DS will try to give you a place in Queens). My questions are: Is this correct?

Not necessarily. You get to voice your preference, whether you'd like to do the preceptorship at school or (if available) a site near your residence. I live off campus and I wanted a site near my place but ultimately got placed at the school's hospital. For me, it actually worked out much better this way. It saves me a trip when I'm usually at school already for class and whatnot.

Does this same preceptorship continue through your second year?

I'll let Soggun or Kfire answer this.

And does the preceptorship take up the entire day? I am wondering because this may affect my living arrangements.

Nope. If you were to follow the schedule, these 12 sessions are usually every other week for a few hours, unless there are exams or a break going on during the week. I feel the schedule the school put out for these sessions is basically a suggestion. You're free to work out a new schedule with your preceptor. I kinda followed the schedule but I have friends who go less often and stay longer, maybe doing 2 sessions in one day. And their preceptors are fine with that.

does anyone know about the clinical neurosciences pathway? What are the benefits of doing this?

Kfire can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sitting across from him in class at the moment ;)) but to follow up with Dr. R about 2nd year preceptorships, no, your first year preceptorships do not continue into second year. They use a computer program that allegedly takes into account your area code/address and assigns you based on that---with varying results.

Fortunately, you're allowed to switch with fellow students who may have more ideal locations. I live in the dorms, so I got placed at Downstate, but others in the dorms got off-site hospital PCPs as well (the computer program can only do so much with 167 students distributed across a few hospital sites).

and if you get stuck at Staten Island, they've actually arranged a shuttle transport there, and many students carpool to other off-site locations with those few who have cars here!