***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know about the clinical neurosciences pathway? What are the benefits of doing this?

More info here if you haven't already looked at it. http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/curriculum/neurosciences.html At the bottom of the page is an email link to Dr. Lisa Merlin. From what I've seen, she's an incredibly enthusiastic lady who is responsible for the program. I'm sure she would love questions from incoming students.

Kfire can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sitting across from him in class at the moment ;)) but to follow up with Dr. R about 2nd year preceptorships, no, your first year preceptorships do not continue into second year. They use a computer program that allegedly takes into account your area code/address and assigns you based on that---with varying results.

Fortunately, you're allowed to switch with fellow students who may have more ideal locations. I live in the dorms, so I got placed at Downstate, but others in the dorms got off-site hospital PCPs as well (the computer program can only do so much with 167 students distributed across a few hospital sites).

and if you get stuck at Staten Island, they've actually arranged a shuttle transport there, and many students carpool to other off-site locations with those few who have cars here!

Oh yea, forgot about the switching.

Members don't see this ad.

Kfire can correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sitting across from him in class at the moment ;)) but to follow up with Dr. R about 2nd year preceptorships, no, your first year preceptorships do not continue into second year. They use a computer program that allegedly takes into account your area code/address and assigns you based on that---with varying results.

Fortunately, you're allowed to switch with fellow students who may have more ideal locations. I live in the dorms, so I got placed at Downstate, but others in the dorms got off-site hospital PCPs as well (the computer program can only do so much with 167 students distributed across a few hospital sites).

and if you get stuck at Staten Island, they've actually arranged a shuttle transport there, and many students carpool to other off-site locations with those few who have cars here!

Yea that's all right. And I think the people going to staten island on their own get reimbursed for transportation.

I cant decide between URochester and Suny Downstate. Im from Long Island. Any Suggestions?!?!?

Why downstate?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I loved Rochester when I applied and may have attended had I been accepted... But knowing what I know now, I'd go with Downstate for a few big reasons. 1) MUCH cheaper, 2) facilities/amenities don't really matter in the long run and have very little impact on educational potential, 3) NYC, 4) great clinical opportunities.

Ultimately though, probably makes sense to go with your gut and where you think you'll be happiest... If you haven't already, I'd encourage a revisit (contact the admissions office and they'll set it up).

I cant decide between URochester and Suny Downstate. Im from Long Island. Any Suggestions?!?!?

Why downstate?

Thanks

Yea that's all right. And I think the people going to staten island on their own get reimbursed for transportation.

Come on Kfire, get your facts straight :thumbdown:. Staten Island and the VA hospital are on the bus so no reimbursement is necessary. Others (like Coney Island I think or some of the other more distant locations) are the ones that they allow reimbursement for - though that's sort of a fluid situation and could change... esp if the state continues to lose money in these tough financial times.

Anyway this is just a minor point, but I just wanted to give the fire a hard time :D

Anyone know when we find out about housing? And subsequently, when we should look for roommates/apartments if we decide we don't like that assignment? :oops:

I have two questions:

(1) I sent in my Health forms a pretty long time ago (like 3-4 weeks) and haven't received any notification that they were received, and I keep calling the number on the forms but keep getting the voicemail. Should I be worried? Do they not notify you when they get the health forms?

(2) Whats the next step in the financial aid process? I received my reward letter, and I got the Master promisery notice from the bank thats lending. What do I do next? I'm very lost on this right now. Is it ok to wait on this, or is it something that has to be immediately done now?

Hello! So....I'm trying to decide between Wake Forest and Suny Downstate....I know the schools are very different, but I wanted some input :)

I have two questions:

(1) I sent in my Health forms a pretty long time ago (like 3-4 weeks) and haven't received any notification that they were received, and I keep calling the number on the forms but keep getting the voicemail. Should I be worried? Do they not notify you when they get the health forms?

(2) Whats the next step in the financial aid process? I received my reward letter, and I got the Master promisery notice from the bank thats lending. What do I do next? I'm very lost on this right now. Is it ok to wait on this, or is it something that has to be immediately done now?

(1) Have you checked the status page? I think they tell you there if they received it. http://spelunker.downstate.edu/admissions/admissions-checklist/source/portal_logon.asp User name and password are your AMCAS ID#

(2) not sure about the answer to your question but i thought they weren't letting us borrow from banks this time (not positive about that though)

Hello! So....I'm trying to decide between Wake Forest and Suny Downstate....I know the schools are very different, but I wanted some input :)

Are you IS for any of the two schools? Where do you see yourself spending residency? What are the finaid packages like?

(2) not sure about the answer to your question but i thought they weren't letting us borrow from banks this time (not positive about that though)

Due to the economic recession, they're letting students borrow directly from the federal gov't instead of from banks (since some banks have already either refused loans or has ridiculous guidelines). However, DS still lets you borrow from banks if you want.

(1) Have you checked the status page? I think they tell you there if they received it. http://spelunker.downstate.edu/admissions/admissions-checklist/source/portal_logon.asp User name and password are your AMCAS ID#

Jeez I never even knew that page existed! Wow!

Whats the "Acceptance response"? I have a green check next to "Admission's Deposit" but a red x next to "Acceptance response".

Are you IS for any of the two schools? Where do you see yourself spending residency? What are the finaid packages like?

Nope not instate for either. I am from Cali. The financial aid packages differ by 5000/yr for this first year (SUNY being slightly more, my guess is the cost of living)...but is getting NY state residency a possibility in NY even if you are there for educational purposes because that would change the cost of suny for the second (or third if not in time for the second) year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nope not instate for either. I am from Cali. The financial aid packages differ by 5000/yr for this first year (SUNY being slightly more, my guess is the cost of living)...but is getting NY state residency a possibility in NY even if you are there for educational purposes because that would change the cost of suny for the second (or third if not in time for the second) year.

yeah you can get instate tuition after youve lived in ny for at least a year... you need off campus housing though

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony is?

Is it after or during orientation?

Does anyone know when the White Coat Ceremony is?

Is it after or during orientation?

I think one of the current med students mentioned early in the thread that orientation week is from 8/17 (Monday) to 8/21 (Friday). The white coat ceremony is during orientation week. I checked the class of 2012 thread, and their ceremony was on the Thursday of orientation week... I'm not sure if the same day holds for this year's ceremony.

ok, time for me to stop procrastinating on sdn. peace!

I was told that the white coat ceremony is at the very end of orientation.

I think one of the current med students mentioned early in the thread that orientation week is from 8/17 (Monday) to 8/21 (Friday). The white coat ceremony is during orientation week. I checked the class of 2012 thread, and their ceremony was on the Thursday of orientation week... I'm not sure if the same day holds for this year's ceremony.

ok, time for me to stop procrastinating on sdn. peace!

This is right... It's always that Thursday.

P.S. feel free to congratulate kfire, frogboyy, and myself on finishing our preclinical years today :thumbup: ;)

WOOT WOOT! Congratulations guys!! :)

Must be such a relief, huh? :D

P.S. feel free to congratulate kfire, frogboyy, and myself on finishing our preclinical years today :thumbup: ;)

Congratulations!!! And you guys have been awesome for answering the questions in this thread!

Grats and good luck on step 1.

WOOT WOOT! Congratulations guys!! :)

Must be such a relief, huh? :D

Thanks - yeah, in a lot of ways though it feels like we were in your shoes just a couple of weeks ago... time flies!

do any of the current students know when our loan money generally becomes available? the first day of orientation? a few weeks before?

basically, I want to know if I can count on finding a place and using loan money for the deposit and first month or if I need to have cash stashed for this purpose. thanks!

Why downstate?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Sorry you haven't gotten a response in so long... the last couple weeks were intense for second years (finishing the year) and first years (finishing a block, starting a difficult new block).

I can't comment on Rochester or Wake Forest... I don't think I even applied to either of them, but I can tell you why I chose downstate and why I'd definitely chose it again, hands down.

1. Curriculum. The block system is the best thing that ever happened to med school. Our blocks are all organ-system based, the only exception the first block of MS1 which is Genes to Cells - basically it's a 1 month molecular genetics and cell bio course to get everyone on the same page. All the other blocks are based on organ system and integrate all disciplines - embryology, physiology, histology, gross anatomy, etc. This is true throughout MS1 and MS2. I guess it sounds good on paper, but why is it so great in practice? Firstly, if you have trouble with one discipline you don't have to worry about failing the block because there's a lot more room to make it up. So if anatomy just doesn't work for you, you can still pass blocks (versus if you're at a school that has anatomy as a separate course). Anatomy is tested via a practical in 4 or 5 of the blocks and there are also anatomy questions on your exams, but the exams cover a lot more than just anatomy (granted, the amount of anatomy varies by block). Same idea for histo, physio, etc. Secondly, it spreads things out so you don't look at the same type of material over and over again. Some schools have separate anatomy, physio, pathology courses, etc. I'd go crazy if I had to study the same thing for a couple months straight. So while the workload will be high no matter what, the workload at Downstate will feel like a few smaller things to tackle rather than one monster to take down. Thirdly, it teaches you to multitask - a skill that's surprisingly not easy to learn. In college I only studied for one test at a time. Here, yes, you're only studying for one test but it's multiple disciplines so you learn to balance them. Fourthly, it's integrative. Professors in physio lectures will discuss histology, histology lecturers will talk about anatomy, anatomy lecturers will talk about embryology and physiology. This obviously helps with the multitasking, and it makes the material MUCH less daunting.

2. The WEALTH of resources at your disposal. Live lectures, podcasts (digital recordings) of each lecture, transcripts (someone types out what the professor says word-for-word), course packs (notes, outlines, explanations, etc for each and every lecture, written by the professors specifically for us students). If you're not a textbook person (like me), then don't worry, you'll pretty much never need one (aka I used a textbook for 5 lectures in all of MS1 and MS2, not kidding). If you ARE a textbook person, don't worry, because there's recommended textbooks for all courses, and the cover page of each lecture's handout in the course pack gives textbook references.

2.5. Tutors. This needs to be a topic of it's own because it's SUCH a good resource. There's an office of academic development that hires MS2s, MS3s and MS4s to tutor various subjects. There's anatomy tutors, histology tutors, neuroanatomy tutors and USMLE Step 1 tutors who will run review sessions with groups that they run. It's nice because you as a student will end up staying with the same tutor for all of anatomy or all of your step 1 studying, so you learn each other's styles and will develop a strong working relationship. There's also individual 1-on-1 tutoring if you need help with one thing in particular, like biochemistry or endocrine or anything else. You would just go to the office of academic development and ask them for a tutor and they'll help you find one.

3. Location for clinical years-Brooklyn/Manhattan. You'll see common diseases no matter where you go, but you'll see them much more advanced here in Brooklyn. For example, you're much more likely to see someone with kidney failure, poor vision and foot ulcers from diabetes than you are, I'm guessing, anywhere else. You'll probably also see more rare conditions. Why? First of all, diversity of the population. Depending on where you are in Brooklyn you've got patients from the Caribbeans, Italians, Hispanics, Ashkenazi Jews, Eastern Europeans, Russians... the list goes on, and diseases have a higher prevalence in different populations. Also, these patients bring conditions that are common in their country of origin here with them. Example: malaria - NOT endemic to the US, but I was told that about 25 cases a year come to King's County, mostly people from African countries. Another reason you'll see a lot: relatively poor diet of a lot of populations in Brooklyn, smoking (20% in Brooklyn vs. 12% nationally), alcohol abuse, etc. All these conditions exacerbate or cause different diseases and you'll see them, and you're more likely to see them in their advanced stages. For example, I saw a patient with an extensive alcohol abuse history with a roughly 8x10x10cm tumor that in his throat. Another reason (tied to the last one) is that a lot of patients here are uninsured, underinsured, or otherwise just don't go to doctors regularly, so you'll see advanced cases like the one I just mentioned. If patients have been avoiding medical care for 10 years for whatever reason and then they all of a sudden decide to come to the hospital today, something really serious must be going on. Next, responsibility and reward. If the person hasn't seen a doctor in 5 or 8 or 10 years and then they come in and see you, you're playing a huge role in their life. Even as just a med student it's rewarding to be a part of their health care team. Finally, trauma. Kings County = the only Level 1 trauma center in all of Brooklyn (and Queens also, i think). Car accident? Kings County. Gunshot victim? Kings County. Stabbing or other violent crime? Kings County. Even more awesome (and I just found this out a few weeks ago) - there's a trauma surgery elective in MS3 which I CAN'T WAIT to take!! The administration of the school knows ALL of what I just said and therefore makes it mandatory that you do at least half of your medicine rotation, at least half of surgery and all of ER at Downstate or Kings County.

3.5. Residency. We heard a statistic last year that was really surprising: 40-50% of practicing physicians in the NYC area are Downstate graduates. If you want to move to NYC for your residency, this is the place to start. People like Downstate grads for a number of reasons. First of all, all of #3 on this list-o'-reasons to pick Downstate. For all those reasons, Downstate grads know what they're doing. Downstate grads are coming from understaffed hospitals in underserved areas. Because of that, we get a lot of hands on clinical experience during our clinical years. Hospital staff need all the help they can get, and we serve as an extra pair of trained hands. For example, I haven't heard this from others but I'm SURE Downstate students have intubated and extubated patients before - something not taught till beginning of Residency or end of MS4 (I'll put money on that). When I was an undergrad at Stony Brook doing some work in the ER, I spoke to the Emergency Dept. residency director. He said that he prefers Downstate grads over all others because they already know what they're doing, they're coming in with more knowledge and training than other grads, and therefore can become a more productive and efficient member of their staff much more quickly.

4. Research opportunities. I'm not a fan of research (at all), but if I wanted to do some research, I'm sure I could start in a week or 2 if I started trying to get something today. There is a LOT going on here, I just don't know specifics. Apparently Downstate is "the Mecca of memory research" according to a Neuropathology professor we had. She cited that as the reason she came here from Emory a few years ago. Our Dean of Students also sends out a monthly newsletter that lists research opportunities and other summer opportunities also. We've got an Alumni Association Office that helps students coordinate research - getting in touch with professors, putting together a project, getting paid, etc. Point is, there's def. not a shortage of research here.

5. Location to enjoy life. Brooklyn, Manhattan. That should cover it.

6. Close to home yet far from home. If you're coming here from California or Texas, I guess this won't apply, but it was a factor for me. I came to Downstate from Long Island. I'm still close to home, I still see my family, I still go home whenever I want. But at the same time I'm not living at home or so close that I'm expected to come home very often.

Those are the big reasons that I had for deciding to come to Downstate, then being here for 2 years just validated everything that I thought beforehand. If I could do it all over again, I'd come here in a heartbeat for all the same reasons. I couldn't be more happy with my choice of med school.

Hope to see you next year. Good luck no matter what you chose!

First off, congrats to you guys for finishing MS1 and MS2.

Secondly, thanks for taking the time out and sharing that chunk of info, kfire. I was curious as to how Downstate's curriculum works, but you have dotted the I's and crossed the T's. Cheers!!

I'm on the waitlist and am making summer plans-- when is orientation (When do we have to move over there?)

Orientation starts August 17 and if you're living on campus you can move in a few days before.

Kfire thanks for all that information, I am 100% sure I'm going to DS and it's good to know I made the right decision.

kfire, thanks for the informative post.

Definitely makes me feel confident about my choice and I feel much better about sending in my withdrawals to other schools.

After thinking all was lost due to the lateness of my interview.....I'M IN!!!! :soexcited:And I've already joined the FB group :D
See you guys at Downstate!!!

How much interaction is there between 1st years and 2nd years? Also, is there wireless readily available in the dorms and lecture halls?

Thanks!

How much interaction is there between 1st years and 2nd years? Also, is there wireless readily available in the dorms and lecture halls?

Thanks!

Theres a lot of interaction w/ 2nd years, both in terms of casual contact (on campus, at block parties, club activities, etc.) and academic contact (anatomy tutoring, histology tutoring, etc.)

In terms of wireless, it is readily available in the dorms (though you should really bring an ethernet cable because the wireless is significantly slower. It is not, however, at this point available in the lecture halls. This is inentional and designed, for better or worse, to keep our attention on the lecturer --- if you choose to attend.

Just to be clear, what date in Aug. does school start?

Just to be clear, what date in Aug. does school start?

From what I've gathered so far...

Orientation : 8/17 --> 8/21
White Coat: 8/20 (Thursday)
First day of class: 8/24 (Monday)

I forgot and can't find it anywhere...

Whats the grading system in the first two years?

All of the documents on DS's website is pretty dated..

I forgot and can't find it anywhere...

Whats the grading system in the first two years?

All of the documents on DS's website is pretty dated..

For all of the blocks it's Honors(>90%)/High Pass(85-90%)/Pass(68-85%)/Fail(<68%)...

For ECM (essentials of clinical medicine), which runs concurrent with the blocks, it's the same cut offs, but Pass is extended to include 85-90% and HP is eliminated...

Those cutoffs are never raised (theoretically everyone could honor), but they will be lowered if the class performs poorly on any given block. I forget the %s but they only allow a certain % of the class to fail, so they'll lower the passing cutoff accordingly.

And just while it's on my mind - start studying for Step 1 early (maybe not 1st year, but definitely during 2nd... I didn't do that so much and I'm paying for it this summer *sigh*

i'll see you all in the fall, for sure! :thumbup:

i haven't perused the entire thread, yet, but i am wondering what will be the best way to find housing (looking at park slope and lower east side)? i plan to live off-campus so i can declare residency after the first year...

welcome! we're in for quite a ride, i'm sure...

i'm also living off campus, i've been checking craigslist http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/nfa/ every so often but it's still early. I thinkkk that's your best bet for finding a place.

since you're trying get ny state residency, make sure you find a place and have your name on a lease by early-mid july... the DS site said you need 1 year + 6 weeks before the 2010 registration deadline. http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/est_residency.html

One 2nd year on this forum posted that he moved in August 1, but I have a feeling he was cutting it close.

Where are you coming from?

Last edited:
NJ here.

You're from CA but you're expecting to sign a lease in 2-3 weeks? How are you managing that?

Hi current students. Are the chorales (sp?) open 24/7? Also, how safe is it out around the school and subway stops during the day? Thanks so much.

Hi current students. Are the chorales (sp?) open 24/7?

You have 24/7 access to the carrels (which have Wi-Fi) and the computer lab.

Also, how safe is it out around the school and subway stops during the day? Thanks so much.

I live off campus and I've walked to and from the bus stop on Church Ave all hours of the day, as early as 8:30 AM for the morning lectures and as late as 1 AM after late night anatomy lab "fun." So far the most dangerous thing I've experienced is the horrible rush hour traffic. As for the subway, I only take it occasionally on Friday afternoons to go out into Manhattan. I feel comfortable with the area, though I am a guy and a New Yorker. So I'm naturally cautious but not paranoid. If you don't feel comfortable, a shuttle is available to take you to and from the subway station.

Hi, all! I'm excited to join everyone in August! I'm so glad my final decision has been made between my options... this was such a long process and I'm so glad to finally be looking at only one school!

Anyway, I am doing the MD/MPH program, beginning the masters classes this summer. Is anyone else on here doing that? As for existing DS students, are you or your friends doing this dual degree? It seems intense to complete both degrees in 4 years, but I guess I'll give it a shot. It's worth a try. I'm excited to start at Downstate so soon.

Is anyone looking for summer housing? If I don't get housing, I'll commute from Greenpoint by car. Does anyone know what monthly parking rates are like at the area lots? Also, are they open for long hours? Some summer classes go until 8PM, so I'll need a lot open until at least that time. Where do people generally park when they commute by car? Are there discounted rates at some lots for DS students? Thanks for the help!

Hi, all! I'm excited to join everyone in August! I'm so glad my final decision has been made between my options... this was such a long process and I'm so glad to finally be looking at only one school!

Anyway, I am doing the MD/MPH program, beginning the masters classes this summer. Is anyone else on here doing that? As for existing DS students, are you or your friends doing this dual degree? It seems intense to complete both degrees in 4 years, but I guess I'll give it a shot. It's worth a try. I'm excited to start at Downstate so soon.

Is anyone looking for summer housing? If I don't get housing, I'll commute from Greenpoint by car. Does anyone know what monthly parking rates are like at the area lots? Also, are they open for long hours? Some summer classes go until 8PM, so I'll need a lot open until at least that time. Where do people generally park when they commute by car? Are there discounted rates at some lots for DS students? Thanks for the help!

Hey Doctora - welcome to the thread (and congrats on the acceptance). While I am not doing the MD/MPH myself, I have a number of friends who are and from what I can see they don't seem to be too stressed about the intensity of the program. I think the reason for this is that while they do take a couple of classes during the school year, most of the work is done during the summers, which makes things more manageable while you have your regular work to attend to. I know that periodically they'd mention a paper or some other such assignment they would need to do or would have to go to class one night (Tuesdays, if memory serves) instead of studying, but I think it's definitely doable.... Again, it's just all about time management.

As far as safety, as someone else asked earlier, it's been said many times but you really just have to be smart about it. During the day, I think you're almost certainly ok in the immediate area (walking to and from subways, supermarkets, etc.) Roboto mentioned that he walks to the bus stop at 1 AM - personally I wouldn't feel very comfortable with that (and I live on campus). On occasion I've walked from the subway back to the res halls at midnight or 1 AM, but its never all that comfortable. Usually, at night you just want to be cautious and either call a cab or take the subway to Church and call the shuttle to pick you up while you wait in McDonalds...... Long story short, it's not as bad as most people think it will be and isn't a significant issue during the day --- but it is still an urban environment and you want to be smart about where, when, and how you walk from place to place.

Any specific concerns I'd be happy to address via PM. :thumbup: