j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
All I got to say is...



Who's coming with me?



Let it be known.



GO METS!
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
Come on, some of you have decided, meet me in the 'burbs, I grew up here, we got nice beaches and 24 hour 7-11's that sell alcohol.

w00t.
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reviving this thread from the grave..


So who's coming to the second look weekend in 2 weeks?

Anyone excited to be coming to Stony Brook? Anyone with reservations about their program?

I have a question for those in the know.. whats up with them having all of their block exams on the same day? Conducive to learning (since u wont be studying for one test while neglecting every other class at places with staggerred exams) or harmful to learning? (just way too much info to cram into a test.. kinda like mini USMLEs...)
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
what's up bonez?

I am certainly excited about starting school, although I won't be at the upcoming event because I am actually working up in Boston until July.

But I will be at the pre-orientation event in June.

As for the block exams, where did you read about this? When I was at the interview I remember it was the day of the first exam for freshman, and you could feel the anxiety and nervousness among the large group standing around. I can see how testing all blocks within one day would help retention of the whole spectrum of material, however this would be the first time I encounter such testing methods. I don't think it matters either way, IMHO.

Anyway, if you are going to the revisted event, have fun. I grew up around Stony Brook, people accuse the burbs of being boring, but it can be very nice in the warmer seasons.
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
too bad. no love lost. Are you from the metropolitan area?
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey robinhood,

what made you choose downstate over stonybrook?
 

tedknight2

New Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
4
0
Status
looks like I'm #3. Hopefully more people join this thread as we move closer to august.

I'm coming to the revisit day in a week or so and will be shamelessly whoring myself out for a roomate who will find me a place to live since I'm currently living in So-Cal and will be out of the country for most of the summer.

Oh, and being a second-gen American of Irish descent I don't have a chinese surname, but if I did it would be "Hu" which means "Beard, Reckless, Blindly."
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what did everyone think of the 2nd visit day (as well as the rest of your potential class mates?).

I thought the day went pretty well, although I wasn't really expecting to sit through 4 or 5 hours of talks. It was still relatively informative since I didn't get that much exposure to the curriculum during my interview day.

After experiencing Pitts hard sell interview day, I was looking for something like that from Stony Brook.. while Stony's 2nd visit day wasn't as good as pitt's schedule of activities, I do feel good about stony brook after yesterday. I can't wait to get started.

one thing that scares me:
1st semester - biochem + anatomy block exams within a couple of days of each other
 

HFDSK

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
9
0
Ny
Status
Hey guys,

I went to the stony brook revisted day and really liked the school. I'm pretty sure I'll be headed there this August. See ya there! :) : :thumbup:
 

robinhood

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2005
38
0
Status
bonez318ti said:
hey robinhood,

what made you choose downstate over stonybrook?

1) A subway's ride from Manhattan vs. living on L.I. for 4 years

2) Facilities and Kings County vs. SB's Hospital and rotation sites

3) I like Brooklyn and you don't need a car at Downstate
 

scoops418

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
81
0
Status
hey im accepted at Stony Brook but leaning towards Einstein right now. Where else did you guys get in? Im just curious if others are making similar decisions.
 

Realest

Rowdy Chik
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
141
2
New York
Status
hey guys,

i was at the revisit and i really liked stony brook; i left feeling all warm and fuzzy - looks like you can find more support there than in a push up bra :) of course, cost is also a major issue and i've been trying to convince myself that with all the distraction of NYC, i'll be better off on LI (there's always residency, afterall)

still, i'm waitlisted at cornell, columbia, and sinai, and before the revisit, i was set on writing an LOI to one of them (most likely cornell). but i don't want to promise that i'll withdraw from all other schools because i'm now having second thoughts about stony brook.

advice??
 

Realest

Rowdy Chik
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
141
2
New York
Status
And not in the dirty way ;)


I'm psyched! But this thread sucks. There's got to be more people attending SB or we're going to be having even more faculty contact than they already plugged. HOLLER if you're gon be chillin on STRONG Island for the next four years.

I just made my decision yesterday. I was debating the LOI as mentioned in the post above, but when I thought about it, I really didn't want to go to any of those schools over SB. It was just the prestige thing, which is maybe among the worst reasons to choose a school (especially one where I'm not going to be happy).

Anyway, where are you guys going to live? Are any of you interested in the MD/MPH program and starting this summer? Who wants to make a pact to visit the city at least every other weekend? How are you guys going to study - what kinds of books are you bringing? I want to find an effective way to organize my notes because that didn't happen so much in college. Man I can't wait to start classes - I'm not in school this semester and I miss it so much. I can't believe it's here! I've waited for this for two years and finally it seems like it's going to materialize. We're going to learn how to be doctors! Oh SNAP :D

Ok remember: Holla/holler/say hi! HIIIIIIIIII :p
 

nairay

Not burnt bread
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
197
0
Los Angeles/Davis, CA
Visit site
Status
BUMP

Hi everyone!

As of now, i think i'll be going to Stonybrook in the fall. I haven't seen a comparison thread for this, but my decision is between NYMC and Stonybrook. I got a better "vibe" at SB, for whatever it's worth, i don't want to be tempted by NYC being so close when studying, the class is smaller, research opps with Cold Spring Harbor & Brookhaven, etc! Plus, I get in-state tuition after the 2nd year, which is a big plus. (For childish reasons, since I saw the movie "Sabrina" when i was a kid, i've also wanted to see what it's like to live on the north shore of LI - not that i will live as lavishly as those in the movie!)

However, I was wondering what others may think, comparing the two schools? Your thoughts are much appreciated!
 

dukeduke

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
41
0
Status
nairay said:
BUMP

Hi everyone!

As of now, i think i'll be going to Stonybrook in the fall. I haven't seen a comparison thread for this, but my decision is between NYMC and Stonybrook. I got a better "vibe" at SB, for whatever it's worth, i don't want to be tempted by NYC being so close when studying, the class is smaller, research opps with Cold Spring Harbor & Brookhaven, etc! Plus, I get in-state tuition after the 2nd year, which is a big plus. (For childish reasons, since I saw the movie "Sabrina" when i was a kid, i've also wanted to see what it's like to live on the north shore of LI - not that i will live as lavishly as those in the movie!)

However, I was wondering what others may think, comparing the two schools? Your thoughts are much appreciated!
i interviewed at both as well. the one thing i noticed is that nymc really encourages students to do 3rd and 4th year in the city whereas my interviewer at stony brook said that hardly anyone ever goes off site.

Nyc is definitely easily accessible to both.

that said, id go to either if theyd let me in..haha.
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone remember how much group work was integrated into Stony's curriculum? Is it just a few hours a week (ie: <5) or more (ie: 5-15)

If there are any at all, they don't seem to be on their online calendar.
 

Tankitytank

Array
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2003
34
0
Visit site
Status
Hi, I'm a first-year med student at Stony Brook.

As far as group work goes, for the first four months group work means delegating the dissections in anatomy lab. There is a little bit of group work in neuroscience (short presentations at end of course), some more in physiology (physiology and histology problem sets), and yet some more in pathology (interactive sessions and case-solving). In addition, we have a year-round course in foundations which covers ethics, behavior, preventive, nutrition, and clinical medicine, with varying amount of groupwork. It so happens that we are assigned to various health-related facilities for our foundations field trip today, including a crime lab :cool: and a sewer waste treatment facility :barf:

As far as extracurriculars go, brush off the dust on your ping pong paddles, because we are very competitive at table tennis :laugh:

We also have our own message-board for students at stony brook so please leave a message and I'll promise you special-treatment :) http://forum.hsc.sunysb.edu/phpBB2-student/
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
I just registered on the Stony Brook forum :)

But no one is on besides me. You guys should get more of the students to post. Great idea to have the forum though.
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
After a couple of days of agonizing, I finally decided on Stony Brook.

Woo hoo!

What a relief.

Lets get some more action on this thread!
 

Nma

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2005
81
0
Status
bonez318ti said:
After a couple of days of agonizing, I finally decided on Stony Brook.

Woo hoo!

What a relief.

Lets get some more action on this thread!
Y!

i tot u went with DownState?
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nma said:
Y!

i tot u went with DownState?
Nope, I was leaning toward Downstate for a while the last few days.. but I ultimately decided on Stony Brook.

In anycase, I was splitting hairs when I think I could probably have been happy at either place.
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
Hey bonez I think you made a good choice man.

Me and You make up 2% of the whole class man.

We hold some power.
 

Tankitytank

Array
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2003
34
0
Visit site
Status
j0v1al said:
I just registered on the Stony Brook forum :)

But no one is on besides me. You guys should get more of the students to post. Great idea to have the forum though.
We do use the forum. We use it to vote on academically relevant issues, share course resources, upload pictures of social events, etc. We also have a decent noteservice website in place with an event calendar, audio and text transcripts, powerpoints, movies, pictures, etc. But the forum was created just recently so most of the class don't even know it exists :confused: That's why I'm spreading the word to the class of 2009 - a new hope :)
 
OP
J

j0v1al

Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
39
0
Status
Thats awesome.

Hopefully more people will join up and become active in the forum.
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whats the inside scoop on purchasing books and necessary supplies (ie: anatomy lab kit, microscope, etc)?

Is it worth it to hunt down a list of what we need so we can begin shopping around for deals on used/cheaper products?
 

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
2,414
367
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
Hey guys-

I just, today, got a big ass scholarship from Stony Brook, but I think I'm still leaning toward NJMS. What was crucial in your decisions about deciding on Stony Brook? How did you weed out the other schools? I don't really remember the match list - how strong was it? Any info at all would help - I've gotta get off the fence on Monday!

Thanks, and good luck to all!

dc
 

robinhood

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2005
38
0
Status
Go TO NJMS - better match schools! and better locations

bigdan said:
Hey guys-

I just, today, got a big ass scholarship from Stony Brook, but I think I'm still leaning toward NJMS. What was crucial in your decisions about deciding on Stony Brook? How did you weed out the other schools? I don't really remember the match list - how strong was it? Any info at all would help - I've gotta get off the fence on Monday!

Thanks, and good luck to all!

dc
 

Tankitytank

Array
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2003
34
0
Visit site
Status
bonez318ti said:
Whats the inside scoop on purchasing books and necessary supplies (ie: anatomy lab kit, microscope, etc)?

Is it worth it to hunt down a list of what we need so we can begin shopping around for deals on used/cheaper products?
Books are mainly for references, and professors will typically list several for you to pick and choose. The exception is the anatomy text that was written by the professor himself. An anatomy lab kit is only $20, scrubs are $15, and we don't use microscopes. If you can find them used/cheaper, feel free to do so, but I wouldn't recommend wearing used scrubs :rolleyes: Books you can generally find them cheaper online than from the bookstore but you'll soon find out that the second years are eager to sell or pass down their used books to the first years. If you would like to see the match list for the past two years, I can email them to you :thumbup:
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tankitytank said:
Books are mainly for references, and professors will typically list several for you to pick and choose. The exception is the anatomy text that was written by the professor himself. An anatomy lab kit is only $20, scrubs are $15, and we don't use microscopes. If you can find them used/cheaper, feel free to do so, but I wouldn't recommend wearing used scrubs :rolleyes: Books you can generally find them cheaper online than from the bookstore but you'll soon find out that the second years are eager to sell or pass down their used books to the first years. If you would like to see the match list for the past two years, I can email them to you :thumbup:
used scrubs.. mmm! :)

Any idea what the 'must have' books are for first year (or where I'd be able to find a list)? Since I don't have anything pressing to do the next few months, I might as well hunt around for good deals.
 

Tankitytank

Array
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2003
34
0
Visit site
Status

rmm262002

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
56
0
Status
Have any of you gotten in off the waitlist ("High Priority List") or all right away? I'm waiting desperately to get in off the High Priority List.
 

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
1,280
2
Status
rmm262002 said:
Have any of you gotten in off the waitlist ("High Priority List") or all right away? I'm waiting desperately to get in off the High Priority List.

Word is no movement till late June- through mid July.
 

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
1,280
2
Status
Ifellinapothole said:
Word is no movement till late June- through mid July.

Oh and the Hight Priority Waitlist is the only one they have so don't start feeling all special.
 

rmm262002

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
56
0
Status
Ifellinapothole said:
Oh and the Hight Priority Waitlist is the only one they have so don't start feeling all special.
Yeah, that's what I've heard, too. However, I work with someone that used to be on the admissions committee there and she said that there is a difference. My hope is that since they say it's a ranked list, only the higher ranked people get the "high priority" thing. Anyway, none of it matters, really. All that matters if I (and the other people in my position) get in or not.
 

alfie110

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
19
0
Status
Hi Everyone,

I will be attending Stony Brook SOM and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you :) I'm so happy to finally be a part of this thread!
 

dukeduke

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
41
0
Status
in an attempt to revive this thread...

i got in today off of the waitlist! (my first and only)

i will definitely be joining you guys in august :) cant wait!
 

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
2,414
367
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats duke, congrats alfie!

How many folks we got here? Like 5 or 6? See ya'll soon!

Hey - everyone going to the thing on the 17th?

dc
 

dukeduke

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
41
0
Status
bigdan said:
Congrats duke, congrats alfie!

How many folks we got here? Like 5 or 6? See ya'll soon!

Hey - everyone going to the thing on the 17th?

dc
i plan on going to the thing on the 17th.

see you guys soon...
 

Just Applied

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
309
5
Status
I have been trying everything possible to get off the Wait List. I have send several letter plus LORs and still no word. I know that I still have to wait a while but any more ideas I can use to help me with this process?
 

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
1,280
2
Status
Just Applied said:
I have been trying everything possible to get off the Wait List. I have send several letter plus LORs and still no word. I know that I still have to wait a while but any more ideas I can use to help me with this process?

Baksheesh.....or "the old Bribe"

Hasn't worked for me so far, but still trying.
 

McCram

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
24
1
Status
Hey guys,

I am applying this year to Stony Brook and I had a quick question about their secondary application.

I saw they have threee essay questions limited to a one page response for each, with no other specifications. Did you all write a 12 pt single spaced response? Or was it double spaced? I was just concerned that there might not be enough material for one page single spaced. What did you all do?

Thanks for the tips and good luck to you all.
 

McCram

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
24
1
Status
McCram said:
Hey guys,

I am applying this year to Stony Brook and I had a quick question about their secondary application.

I saw they have threee essay questions limited to a one page response for each, with no other specifications. Did you all write a 12 pt single spaced response? Or was it double spaced? I was just concerned that there might not be enough material for one page single spaced. What did you all do?

Thanks for the tips and good luck to you all.
Bump.
 

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
2,414
367
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
I don't really remember.

I'd just say what you have to and end it. I would most likely have done a short single spaced thing as opposed to a double spaced thing...I think what you say really does matter more than how much you say...my AMCAS statement was real short and I got interviews at 16 of the 17 schools I applied to...

Good luck with it.

dc
 

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
416
3
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
McCram said:
I saw they have threee essay questions limited to a one page response for each, with no other specifications. Did you all write a 12 pt single spaced response? Or was it double spaced? I was just concerned that there might not be enough material for one page single spaced. What did you all do?

Thanks for the tips and good luck to you all.
Just say what you need to say. I think that some of my essays were a half page single spaced. Remember, quality not quantity.
 

rmm262002

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
56
0
Status
I just got in off the waitlist this week, so I will see many of you next Friday. Has anyone made housing arrangements yet?

In answer to McCram's question, one of my essays was almost a full page, the other two were about a half or just under (all single spaced).
 

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
2,414
367
Ann Arbor
Status
Attending Physician
rmm-

You the (wo)man! Congrats, whatever the gender! We'll meet up on Friday.

You can check out the on-campus (or off-campus) websites at the student affairs link on the website for housing options; I'm looking for stuff there...

dc