OFFICIAL SUNY Upstate Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HessExpress

Holy Macaroni
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the call a couple days ago. I know it's still early, but is anyone planning on taking summer anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

HessExpress said:
I got the call a couple days ago. I know it's still early, but is anyone planning on taking summer anatomy?

I would like to, but getting the family (wife and 2 kids) moved and my wife employed may push the schedule too much. It would be nice to clear some time in the Fall to work as a TA for anatomy though.

Yipee!!!!!! I'm in, my first interview gave me an acceptance!!!! :D :D :D I'm already plastered from our school's pub. Man it feels great, now I can just sail through the rest of the year without a worry!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and yes, I want to take anatomy in the summer.

Moto said:
Yipee!!!!!! I'm in, my first interview gave me an acceptance!!!! :D :D :D I'm already plastered from our school's pub. Man it feels great, now I can just sail through the rest of the year without a worry!!!!! :D :D :D :D

:thumbup: Congrats Moto.

Moto said:

First off, congratulations!!! Second, your school has a pub!?!? (I am jealous) :laugh: My wife would NEVER see me if my school had one.

Were is everyone from? I'm in school in Western New York and interviewed on 9/7.

I'm from the Syracuse area. Interviewed 9/14.

Anyone receive their snail-mail version of the acceptance yet? I am starting to worry that I won't get it before the two week deposit deadline. (Been 8 days already)

There's a two week-deposit deadline? I didn't get the mail yet either.

Worry not my co-upstater-to-be. I forgot that there was a grad school fair at my school today and it just so happens that Jennifer Welch was here. I spoke to her about it, and she said for the first wave of acceptances, there isn't a "hard" two week deadline. They send so many acceptances out in the first wave, they run a bit behind vs. the phone calls.

Jennifer and the admissions crew have been a great help to me this cycle. :)

Wow, weird coincidence. I was just nervous because I live just down the road from Upstate.

I'm wondering if anymore info will be sent soon about signing up for anatomy? Or, am I just getting ahead of myself?

I got my acceptance packet yesterday. I am in the Syracuse clinical track.

Please post where you'll be spending your clinical years.

Ian (racerx)

hey everyone-

just wanted to say hello and congrats on the acceptances to upstate! i don't know where exactly i'll end up next year, but it could very well be with all of you!! in any case congrats again and i'll be around!

and howdy racerx! very glad things panned out for you the way they did. ;)

edit: assuming i'll be at upstate next year, i'm in the syracuse track...

Members don't see this ad :)
LT2 said:
and howdy racerx! very glad things panned out for you the way they did. ;)

edit: assuming i'll be at upstate next year, i'm in the syracuse track...

Hello to you too! Yeah, it was a great relief. My wife is as excited as I am.

Although I'd be glad to see you next year, I am aware of your situation and will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Ian

Congrats Everyone!
I'm in the class of 2010 as well! In the Syracuse track, and most likely not doing summer anatomy.
Congratulations again, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

Not that anyone asked my opinion... ahaha ;)

But I'm a current upstate student (MS1), didn't do summer anatomy, and I'm glad I didn't. I had those three months to myself, relaxing, enjoying reading some medical nonfiction books, getting psyched, etc, etc. There's plenty of time to do electives over your 4 years.

Some of the ethics and "on doctoring" electives are blocked out so you can take them concurrently with Anatomy; some require more work than others (couple papers here and there, etc), but I'm sure they're all doable if you bust your butt a little.

Good luck to all of you, esp. the ones coming to upstate. I happen to think they have a fantastic program put together, with an administration that genuinely cares about the student body and their experience with the curriculum.

rpkall said:
Good luck to all of you, esp. the ones coming to upstate. I happen to think they have a fantastic program put together, with an administration that genuinely cares about the student body and their experience with the curriculum.

I second all of the above. And the classmates are awesome - not like the premeds that I went to school with.

I am kinda jealous of those that took summer anatomy, but jealousy is normal whenever you're forced to poke in fetid bowels, and those around you are not. However, I did have a great summer of shenanigans and debauchery. So I guess the question is: shenanigans and debauchery in the summer? or in the fall?

:laugh: guess that makes me a groupie

I was accepted back in October as well, and was just wondering when you are able to sign up for Summer Anatomy? Also, there is a discussion board in the accepted students area on the Upstate site, if you guys are interested. I'm totally excited about going to Upstate. (Syracuse clinical)

There's a flyer that comes out in March (I think) that details summer anatomy. I think that all of us who took summer anatomy were very glad that we did since it makes our first semester so much easier and allows us to do a number of things while the rest of the class is taking anatomy in the fall. However, regardless of which anatomy you take, it's generally considered to be an excellent course with great professors. If you want specific details about the summer anatomy course, feel free to PM me, otherwise, don't worry about it for a few months.

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall.

Dave

hey guys!

does anyone know when the second look weekend is going to be?

Last summer, it was two weeks before summer anatomy started. I don't know if that's the case this coming year but that'd be 5/27-5/28.

Random said:
Last summer, it was two weeks before summer anatomy started. I don't know if that's the case this coming year but that'd be 5/27-5/28.

this is when 2nd look is? i thought most schools did it before the May 15 deadline so people can check the school out again before having to make any decisions?!?

Sorry, you're right. I got my dates mixed up. It was around the first weekend of May so that you'd be able to make your choice before the deadline.

Random said:
Sorry, you're right. I got my dates mixed up. It was around the first weekend of May so that you'd be able to make your choice before the deadline.

phew! i was hoping to get another look before i decide! ;)

2nd Visit Day will be April 21st - info will be out shortly.

Summer Anatomy will start June 12th - Info will also be sent out shortly. The deadline will be March 15th to sign up.

There is also an accepted student discussion board -http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/accepted/

I hope everyone is doing well!

Upstateadmiss said:
2nd Visit Day will be April 21st - info will be out shortly.

Summer Anatomy will start June 12th - Info will also be sent out shortly. The deadline will be March 15th to sign up.

There is also an accepted student discussion board -http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/accepted/

I hope everyone is doing well!

thanks for the info, much obliged!!

Hi,
I will be starting Upstate Med in fall '06. I am considering living in Clark, Madison, or Jefferson Towers and would really love any advice on choosing between the three. Which one is best for an MS1 and which is the cheapest?
Thanks so much!

Anyone receive info on summer anatomy yet?

HessExpress said:
Anyone receive info on summer anatomy yet?

i received an email and application for the summer program if that's what you're asking...

LT2 said:
i received an email and application for the summer program if that's what you're asking...

An email was sent on Tuesday - some were bounced back and I haven't had a chance to figure out who they were yet. If you didn't get it - drop me a note at [email protected] and I will get it right out.

Thanks!
Jen

I got my acceptance call a couple of days ago and I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to recieve the paper version of acceptance to fully believe it. I am pretty sure I will be going to Upstate this fall '06 (Syracuse clinical). Congrats to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I will be doing the summer anatomy option, since my fiance and I are trying to plan a wedding in the summer before my classes start. If I was single, I think I would have chosen the summer option, to ease my transition into medical school :oops:

Anybody going to the second look visit in April?

DrKitty said:
I got my acceptance call a couple of days ago and I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I need to recieve the paper version of acceptance to fully believe it. I am pretty sure I will be going to Upstate this fall '06 (Syracuse clinical). Congrats to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I will be doing the summer anatomy option, since my fiance and I are trying to plan a wedding in the summer before my classes start. If I was single, I think I would have chosen the summer option, to ease my transition into medical school :oops:

Anybody going to the second look visit in April?

Congratulations DrKitty!
I will probably not be doing the summer anatomy option either. By the time my wife finds a job, I graduate, and we move an entire household, I don't think there will be much time left.

I am definitely going to second look. My wife wants to check out the area and start looking for a job around that time.

Again, congratulations!

hey congrats dr. kitty!

and howdy to racerx! i haven't seen you in awhile! still in limbo about where i'll be next year but the opportunity to pay in state tuition at Upstate is VERY appealing (aside from all else wonderful in Syracuse)!!

I'm gonna be coming to syracuse from the south, deep south, and when i heard that the area got 25-30 inches of snow in few days, i was like how the HELL am i gonna survive this. I have seen snow once in my life before (and that was so tiny).

any ideas.

I'm flat out scared about how i'm gonna live for 4 yrs away from family and everything. I'm a guy and i know how to suck it up and take it, but for 4 years straight. That's gonna be tough.

maybe some med school gods will shine on me and .....

don't get me wrong, UPstate great school and the people, DAMN, they are soooooooooooo cool, but just getting worried about things

Congratz on getting accepted to Upstate in Syracuse..

if anyone of you is looking for housing for next school year or have any questions, just PM me.

Take care,

DD

MS IV

Congrats...Fellow future classmates....My friend told me he has been offered a scholarship to attend Upstate even though he has not file the Fafsa yet. Do you guys know what criteria the committee uses to award these scholarships. OR has anybody else receive any scholarship from the school? I am definately going to Upstate but have not heard about any scholarship...

Class of 2010.

Congrats...Fellow future classmates....My friend told me he has been offered a scholarship to attend Upstate even though he has not file the Fafsa yet. Do you guys know what criteria the committee uses to award these scholarships. OR has anybody else receive any scholarship from the school? I am definately going to Upstate but have not heard about any scholarship...

Class of 2010.

I just got my FINANCIAL AID AWARD LETTER from SUNY UPSTATE and it scared :scared: the HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL out of me.

They have got to be able to do better then this.

anyone have any info. on this for me.

Without knowing the specifics I can't really comment but I'd call the financial aid office. In all my dealings with them, they've been really helpful. And by the way, if you didn't go with their preferred lenders, there's occasionally a problem with the loans being capped at a rediculously low amount. I think they mentioned that's because some companies don't show it as being a med school program and so cap things at the standard grad student amounts. Good luck.

Dave

Does anyone know where the best housing for med students/residents is? I've heard the towers (Madison/Jefferson) are where a lot of people stay. Is there anything nicer than that within a 3 miles radius of the medical center?

medgator said:
Does anyone know where the best housing for med students/residents is? I've heard the towers (Madison/Jefferson) are where a lot of people stay. Is there anything nicer than that within a 3 miles radius of the medical center?

I heard from several SUNY Upstate students that Madison was the best. I don't know if there is anything that's better and closer to school.

anyone on this board participating in summer human anatomy?

also, anyone know where you can find the list of all the books & supplies we will need for the first year.

DrKitty said:
I heard from several SUNY Upstate students that Madison was the best. I don't know if there is anything that's better and closer to school.

Thanks for the reply... did they feel safe in the area? I've heard mixed things on downtown syr/med center.

Well, I'd be a little hesitant to go under I-81 to/from Madison in the middle of the night alone but it's reasonably safe if you're careful. The majority of robberies and the like that have been posted about on campus seem to be from people who were perhaps a little careless, like going down a dark street alone while talking on a cell phone.