OFFICIAL SUNY Upstate Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
medgator, I am completely clueless in regards to the safety levels in different areas of Syracuse, I don't know the city at all :oops: When talking to housing people who sent me the application for Madison, I heared the same thing as Random mentioned above in regards to I-81 area. They advised on having somebody to accompany you if you walk late at night to/from Madison. Can some of the current Upstate medical students comment on the safest Syracuse areas for housing that are close to school? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If that's of any interest to anybody, Madison also lets you have a pet for additional fee per month (I believe it's $15). This is a factor to me, since I want to have my kitty with me when I am in med school :)

Just wondering how this would factor into FAFSA, but say your dad who makes like ~100,000 dollars a year is retiring your senior year of college. How would this affect financial aid for suny upstate. If it does or does not, how does this affect your 2nd and 3rd and 4th years of medical school as well (when your dad is retired, and all he has is his savings, and pension). Do med. schools expect parents to pay even when they are retired?

Members don't see this ad :)
newdude said:
I'm gonna be coming to syracuse from the south, deep south, and when i heard that the area got 25-30 inches of snow in few days, i was like how the HELL am i gonna survive this. I have seen snow once in my life before (and that was so tiny).

any ideas.

I'm flat out scared about how i'm gonna live for 4 yrs away from family and everything. I'm a guy and i know how to suck it up and take it, but for 4 years straight. That's gonna be tough.

maybe some med school gods will shine on me and .....

don't get me wrong, UPstate great school and the people, DAMN, they are soooooooooooo cool, but just getting worried about things

I'm from CA and yes, I am concerned about the cold winter. I feel better knowing that majority of my time will be spend indoors. I am more worried about driving in snow. Have no experience, have no clue.

I heard that Syracuse is pretty good and fast at cleaning up the snow :)

The keys to safe driving in our winter wonderland are to take your time, press on the accelerator pedal like you have an egg under the pedal, and start braking much earlier.

If you start to slide, turn your wheel into the slide (the direction your car is traveling, not pointing), let off the gas a bit and then slowly reapply a bit of accelerator.

Of course, you might not want to listen to me, if I were so good at vehicle control, I wouldn't have the "X" in racerx. ;)

Seriously, it's not too bad up here. The road crews are fantastic. I plan on living in the Liverpool area, and am not worried about getting to class.

Ian

thanks for the pointers, racerx :D , I will definitely take my time
How's the living arrangements search going?

I am going to be living in Clark Tower starting in June. I was wondering if anyone lives barely off campus and has an extra parking spot that I could pay rent for? I am trying to avoid paying 75+ tax/month for parking. Does anybody know of any other parking places that are close to campus and cheaper?

ndayev6 said:
I am going to be living in Clark Tower starting in June. I was wondering if anyone lives barely off campus and has an extra parking spot that I could pay rent for? I am trying to avoid paying 75+ tax/month for parking. Does anybody know of any other parking places that are close to campus and cheaper?

on the SUNY upstate's accepted students website it says that you can't do this or something, or that it's more expensive.

that being said:

I would OFFICIALY like to be the first person to say that any one who is going or who is living in the madison or jefferson apartments who doesn't have a car want to give that spot to me, I am willing to give them ride to grocery or whatever when I do those things.

that way they get a ride and I get cheap parking.

Again, since i am the first person, someone should first make the offer to me.

Thank you

Moto said:
thanks for the pointers, racerx :D , I will definitely take my time
How's the living arrangements search going?

Two weeks ago, the family and I spent the weekend in the Syracuse area just getting a feel for the neighborhoods. Not to knock the city schools there, but because I have two grade-schoolers, we will most probably end up in the 'burbs.

I have made appointments at Breckenridge, and Westminster Place in Liverpool to take a look during the weekend of second look. I have a couple more places to call and set appointments before then too.

How about yourself? BTW, if anyone from out of state has questions about New York State in general, please feel free to ask me. I've been here almost my entire life.

Anyone here planning to go to second look?

Ian

newdude said:
on the SUNY upstate's accepted students website it says that you can't do this or something, or that it's more expensive.

that being said:

I would OFFICIALY like to be the first person to say that any one who is going or who is living in the madison or jefferson apartments who doesn't have a car want to give that spot to me, I am willing to give them ride to grocery or whatever when I do those things.

that way they get a ride and I get cheap parking.

Thank you

Are you serious? Your kidding right?

ndayev6 said:
Are you serious? Your kidding right?

Well not if someone offers. if someone doesn't have a car then i can use their "spot" at madison/jefferson, right. that way i'll pay $25 month as oppose to $75. and whenever i go to a gorcery store i can take them.

seems workable to me.

that being said:

I would OFFICIALY like to be the first person to say

Thank you[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about being the first person to ask? Isn't that what I did? No biggie...I guess..haha

Members don't see this ad :)
ndayev6 said:
that being said:

I would OFFICIALY like to be the first person to say

Thank you

I'm talking about being the first person to ask? Isn't that what I did? No biggie...I guess..haha[/QUOTE]

This is funny :laugh: I am considering Madison Towers, but I will most likely have a car :oops: I can't imagine living in Syracuse without a car, it's not like NYC where you can easily walk to places or take a subway/bus :cool:

hey,

i was wondering if you guys were heading to 2nd look. Aside from the presentation/admin stuff is this wkd supposed to be a hugh party weekend?! It'd be cool to organize something to get us all together (also upper years as well)

deacon

Did anybody receive agenda information in regards to the second look weekend on April 21st? I am getting worried that they didn't receive my RSVP.

DrKitty said:
Did anybody receive agenda information in regards to the second look weekend on April 21st? I am getting worried that they didn't receive my RSVP.

I haven't received anything yet. I hope they have some flexibility built into the schedule. I have a couple appointments to look at apartments later that afternoon.

I'd be all for meeting afterward for a beer, but be forewarned. . .I am an old married guy and will have my wife with me too.

I will be attending 2nd Visit. Ms. Welch said that she will be sending out confirmation information early next week.

Racerx and Vintage_66, thanks for the info :) I can't wait to visit SUNY Upstate again :love:

Just a few misc comments. Parking is cheap at $16/mo, and either a short shuttle ride or 10 min walk to class. I live ~ 3 mi away in the first floor of a 2 family, ~ 5 min drive to the parking lot. Other students who live in Clark or Madison or Jefferson or elsewhere off campus all seem to like where they live for different reasons. Clark is right on campus. Mad/Jeff offer more space/amenities with a 5 min walk. I found my place through a relative and there's a park just two blocks away. Just depends on what you like.

I took summer anatomy, and since I had been out of school for a few years, I found the course a helpful transition.

Good luck!
Don, MS1

Don Pilch said:
Just a few misc comments. Parking is cheap at $16/mo, and either a short shuttle ride or 10 min walk to class. I live ~ 3 mi away in the first floor of a 2 family, ~ 5 min drive to the parking lot. Other students who live in Clark or Madison or Jefferson or elsewhere off campus all seem to like where they live for different reasons. Clark is right on campus. Mad/Jeff offer more space/amenities with a 5 min walk. I found my place through a relative and there's a park just two blocks away. Just depends on what you like.

I took summer anatomy, and since I had been out of school for a few years, I found the course a helpful transition.

Good luck!
Don, MS1

Hey,

Could you please tell me the exact address of this cheap parking?

Thanks

Mike

Check your email folks! The information regarding second look was sent today.

Yep, hope to see you all in Syracuse on April 21st! :) :love:

Just to clarify something that Don said: the cheap parking is the "R" lot, which we rent, not own. I think that the contract's being renegotiated so it may not be quite so cheap next year but I'd imagine that we should still have some sort of relatively cheap parking available. If you end up deciding to come here, you'll probably hear plenty more about parking over the summer.

Dave

Mikhail said:
Hey,

Could you please tell me the exact address of this cheap parking?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the slow response, had a few tests last week. The lot entrance is on Wellington Pl, which is off of Irving Ave. The link to Yahoo maps is below. If the link does not work, a Yahoo map search of Wellington Pl, Syracuse, NY works too. On the map, the white area below UMU Hospital is Weiskotten Hall, med library, etc.

Don

(add "http" in front of the address below)
://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=Wellington+Pl&csz=Syracuse%2C+NY&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Hey Dave,
Were you the Dave that helped out on 2nd look day? I was reading the parking information on the Upstate site and it mentioned that the R Lot was closed on the weekends. Does this mean that the cars are inaccessible, that makes no sense? Also, Susan Huards told me that Clark Tower residents are required to park in the garage that charges 75/month (i think the East garage), is this true?

To those who attended second look, how was it?

I thought second look was great. First off, the food was amazing, I was expecting a wrap like on interview day. There were tours of the campus and of Clark Tower. Also, Dr. Berg did an anatomy demo in the anatomy lab which was alright, but he seemed like a cool dude. (Plus he had on Yankee scrubs which is a major plus!) Everyone was extremely nice which just confirmed to me that Upstate is the place to be. The only thing you missed by not going was a great lunch and a discussion with current students that might have been helpful depending on what you wanted to know. If you have any specific questions, just PM me.

racerx said:
Anyone receive their snail-mail version of the acceptance yet? I am starting to worry that I won't get it before the two week deposit deadline. (Been 8 days already)

Upstate will give you the worst training EVER. Just look at thei rmatch list for this year. DO NOT GO TO UPSTATE.

shaddap said:
Upstate will give you the worst training EVER. Just look at thei rmatch list for this year. DO NOT GO TO UPSTATE.
Troll alert, but will respond just to give you something to do.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I get the feeling you didn't match where you wanted, or maybe not at all. You know, I have had many people that have been through medical school tell me, ultimately, how well you do is entirely dependent on you. Pity.

BTW, I wrote the question about snail mail acceptance back in October, so your response is no longer germaine. Besides, I am not looking to match into neurosurgery or Derm, so it's all good.

First, ndayev6, yes, that's me. To respond to your question about the R lot, I don't know if it's closed on weekends but if you plan it right, the day care lot is open and you can use that (it's a lot more convenient, anyway). It may be moot next year since we only rent R lot and the people who own it are talking about renegotiating (i.e. expect rate hikes). More on that as news comes in. As for what Sharon said, I can only assume that she's right as far as on-campus parking's concerned. One of my friends who moved off-campus is renting a space at a nearby garage and I'd assume that'd be okay, too.

Now, as for our friendly neighborhood troll, all I can say is this: UPMC, Yale, HUP, Duke, JHU, NYU... what is it you're complaining about in our match results, again? BTW, racerx, I think that all of the people in the MS4 class who wanted to do neurosurg matched. Now, in all fairness, I concede that we don't get as much early clinical experience as some other places but we do get some and from what I've heard from graduates of our program, they're as prepared as grads from anywhere else.

I attended the second look, and the experience just confirmed how much I love Upstate. I had such a great time talking with current Upstate MS2 students and meeting the Deans and learning about the University hospital. The food was great too, and the anatomy presentation was insightful.

About the early clinical exposure, from what the current students were saying, it seemed that you can easily find early clinical opportunities if you want to, but you are not officially "scheduled" or pushed into them. And what is the big deal about EARLY clinical exposure anyway? You'll get plenty in your 3rd and 4th years, when you actually have some theoretical knowledge. I love Upstate :)

Essentially, here's the deal with early clinical experience: it's two fold. First, much of the difference between medical education and learning isolated facts is context. That's why it's not a great idea to just get a copy of Netter's over the summer and start memorizing. Anyway, clinical work adds another layer of context and serves as reinforcement for what we're learning in lecture and labs. Second, most of us came here to see patients, which it's easy to lose sight of after a day of four lectures and a lab. It's not to say we should be on the wards from day one but having some limited early clinical experience is a good reminder of why we're here.

But seriously, you're absolutely right. We do have things like SC Hope (the homeless clinic), several electives, Peds Relief, etc. that are available to people who want early clinical experience. And if you're like me and want early clinical work, that's just one more reason why summer anatomy's a great option.

One last thing: to all those who came to second visit day, I'm glad you had a good time. It's a great place and we really wanted to relay that.

Random said:
BTW, racerx, I think that all of the people in the MS4 class who wanted to do neurosurg matched. Now, in all fairness, I concede that we don't get as much early clinical experience as some other places but we do get some and from what I've heard from graduates of our program, they're as prepared as grads from anywhere else.

Random,

I didn't mean to imply that I thought nobody from Upstate could match in neurosurgery. I feel quite the opposite. I was only replying from my point of view, that I feel Upstate is just right for my career plans. If I wanted NS, ortho, or derm, I would still attend upstate.

Every time I go there (interview, second look, etc.) I feel even more strongly that this is a school that values the students as people, not numbers. Second look was nice because my wife was able to finally see why I am so excited to be attending Upstate.

Ian

Didn't think you implied that; just wanted to clarify for anyone who's thinking about pursuing neurosurg and coming here. Glad to hear that you're so excited about coming here.

Dave

racerx said:
Troll alert, but will respond just to give you something to do.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I get the feeling you didn't match where you wanted, or maybe not at all. You know, I have had many people that have been through medical school tell me, ultimately, how well you do is entirely dependent on you. Pity.

BTW, I wrote the question about snail mail acceptance back in October, so your response is no longer germaine. Besides, I am not looking to match into neurosurgery or Derm, so it's all good.

Did anyone notice how the above post contains no actual examples of knowledge gained from experience?

Despite what you "have had people tell you" and "get the feeling" about, I have been through the Upstate program. I havent just "heard" or "been told"--I KNOW the training sucks. Many of my fellow graduates agree.

I also know that I matched into one of the top programs in the country. To do that, I had to work twice as hard to compensate for all the gaps in my training. As a student, you only have so much time, and it shouldnt be spent trying to decipher the inaccurate, outdated (circa 1970) and just plain wrong curriculum presented to you.

Like many pre-med jokers before you, you have assumed you know more than you actually do.

shaddap said:
Did anyone notice how the above post contains no actual examples of knowledge gained from experience?

Despite what you "have had people tell you" and "get the feeling" about, I have been through the Upstate program. I havent just "heard" or "been told"--I KNOW the training sucks. Many of my fellow graduates agree.

I also know that I matched into one of the top programs in the country. To do that, I had to work twice as hard to compensate for all the gaps in my training. As a student, you only have so much time, and it shouldnt be spent trying to decipher the inaccurate, outdated (circa 1970) and just plain wrong curriculum presented to you.

Like many pre-med jokers before you, you have assumed you know more than you actually do.

Can anyone else who is MS3, MS4, or a graduate of Upstate comment on this? Looking at the matchlists from the last several years, it is obvious some Upstate graduates are placed in competitive programs. It seems to vary from year to year which implies that where people match depends on their personal preferences and academic standing. I am only starting in the Fall of 2006, so I don't know much about this, but please comment.

shaddap said:

You haven't given any examples of how the training sucks-you've just said it sucks.

I'm interested in knowing why you think it sucks. What about the training makes you think it's no good?

Hope you respond, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious about these things.

DrKitty said:
Can anyone else who is MS3, MS4, or a graduate of Upstate comment on this? Looking at the matchlists from the last several years, it is obvious some Upstate graduates are placed in competitive programs. It seems to vary from year to year which implies that where people match depends on their personal preferences and academic standing. I am only starting in the Fall of 2006, so I don't know much about this, but please comment.

I talked to an attending the other day who graduated about 15 years ago from Upstate and he said he had good clinical training there.

This person said they just matched, so it's a different time period to compare---who knows

to each his/her own, but like I said above, I hope the person responds and share more of his/her opinions

Post erased to prevent myself from stepping in troll dung.

How is the housing search going for everyone?

shaddap said:
As a student, you only have so much time, and it shouldnt be spent trying to decipher the inaccurate, outdated (circa 1970) and just plain wrong curriculum presented to you.

Upstate's curriculum is more traditional than that of some other medical schools, but recent renovations include systes-based 2nd year, more integration throughout pre-clinical years. The anatomy is a block which hasn't been stretched throughout the whole year, but many students prefer that. How is the curriculum "innacurate" and "just plain wrong"?

DrKitty said:
Upstate's curriculum is more traditional than that of some other medical schools, but recent renovations include systes-based 2nd year, more integration throughout pre-clinical years. The anatomy is a block which hasn't been stretched throughout the whole year, but many students prefer that. How is the curriculum "innacurate" and "just plain wrong"?

Well, on a lighter note: I'm all signed up for summer anatomy and have my place for the year (Madison Towers) :D , anyone else know if they'll be there for the summer?

I had a talk with one of the interns on my job. She graduated from Upstate and matched in IM in a prestigious program. Since I am considering Upstate, I asked for her frank opinion on the education she recieved. She said her board scores were above average, and that most people in her class did very well on the boards. She felt that, in retrospect, clinically she may not have been exposed to many things. She only feels this way now because the other interns she works with seems to have performed more procedures as students than she had. For example, the first time she was about to do a LP as an intern, she realized the other interns on the team and even the med student already had many experiences with doing the procedure.

She felt there were several things at work. First, she is doing her internship at a health system who's med school is ranked in the top 5, and the students are very assertive and have super early clinical exposure. Also, the location offers opportunities for many procedures and a greater exposure to certain disease processes that you may not see as frequently at Upstate. She also blames some of it on herself (and not the Upstate program). For example, as a med student, she chose not to spend any time in the ICU because she didn't feel confident enough to deal with such sick patients (while other classmates did). That same fear caused her to rarely volunteer to do procedures as a med student, while others jumped at the opportunity. Now she feels she is paying a small price for that.

I think there is something to be said for taking some responsibility for your learning. Opportunities are always there to help you prepare to be great doctors, but you need to figure out some of your own needs, and be curious and assertive enough to seek out more clinical exposure. She did say aside from the snow, she had a good experience at Upstate, and that adminstration is supportive.

DeigoT said:
I had a talk with one of the interns on my job. She graduated from Upstate and matched in IM in a prestigious program. Since I am considering Upstate, I asked for her frank opinion on the education she recieved. She said her board scores were above average, and that most people in her class did very well on the boards. She felt that, in retrospect, clinically she may not have been exposed to many things. She only feels this way now because the other interns she works with seems to have performed more procedures as students than she had. For example, the first time she was about to do a LP as an intern, she realized the other interns on the team and even the med student already had many experiences with doing the procedure.

She felt there were several things at work. First, she is doing her internship at a health system who's med school is ranked in the top 5, and the students are very assertive and have super early clinical exposure. Also, the location offers opportunities for many procedures and a greater exposure to certain disease processes that you may not see as frequently at Upstate. She also blames some of it on herself (and not the Upstate program). For example, as a med student, she chose not to spend any time in the ICU because she didn't feel confident enough to deal with such sick patients (while other classmates did). That same fear caused her to rarely volunteer to do procedures as a med student, while others jumped at the opportunity. Now she feels she is paying a small price for that.

I think there is something to be said for taking some responsibility for your learning. Opportunities are always there to help you prepare to be great doctors, but you need to figure out some of your own needs, and be curious and assertive enough to seek out more clinical exposure. She did say aside from the snow, she had a good experience at Upstate, and that adminstration is supportive.

Thanks so much for a very helpful post, DiegoT. I have to add that this is what the current Upstate students asserted at the second look - that one has to take responsibility to expand their own clinical exposure and that clinical opportunities ARE available if you take charge of your own learning. Despite some of the negatives mentioned above (and ALL med schools have their own negatives), let's not overlook the fact that the woman mentioned above, having graduated from Upstate, is doing her internship in #5 ranked program in the country.

racerx said:
Post erased to prevent myself from stepping in troll dung.

How is the housing search going for everyone?

I found a place off campus - but are most people living in Clark?

I can't find the time to come to Syracuse during the week and look for an apartment for me and my fiance. I am not sure what to do, with the pace my search is going, I will end up finding housing right before orientation :scared:

Does anyone have any experience with the Apts at Nob Hill? Looks like they have quite a number of amenities (garage, gym, pool) and are not too far away from the hospital.

DrKitty said:
I can't find the time to come to Syracuse during the week and look for an apartment for me and my fiance. I am not sure what to do, with the pace my search is going, I will end up finding housing right before orientation :scared:

That might be a really bad idea. You don't want to end up living in a bad neighborhood because everything else was taken. At least call and see if you can get on the waiting list for Madison and Jefferson Towers. I'm not saying they're the greatest apartments ever, but they're convenient and safe. I know it's hard to get here during the week, but some of my classmates that got last minute housing weren't very happy. Just don't want that to happen to you.

Random said:
But seriously, you're absolutely right. We do have things like SC Hope (the homeless clinic), several electives, Peds Relief, etc. that are available to people who want early clinical experience. And if you're like me and want early clinical work, that's just one more reason why summer anatomy's a great option.

If you really want early clinical experience, you'll get it. You just have to get out there and look for it. Summer anatomy students (like me) do have an excellent opportunity here because they can do electives while everyone else takes anatomy. I have scrubbed in with several surgeons this year. They all seemed happy to have me there. I also spent some time in one of the resident clinics. They too seemed happy to teach me things and let me participate. If you want early clincal experience, you can get it. If not, don't worry about it. That's what 3rd year is for :)

Welcome to Upstate, everyone. I hope you all like it here.

Anybody planning to go to Upstate for sure as of tomorrow? If so, do you think it's a good idea to send them an e-mail/call to reaffirm your decision? I want to make sure I am not missing anything :scared:

DrKitty said:
Anybody planning to go to Upstate for sure as of tomorrow? If so, do you think it's a good idea to send them an e-mail/call to reaffirm your decision? I want to make sure I am not missing anything :scared:

I am attending Upstate for sure.:D I was wondering the same thing, but then had a thought. . .I sent an acceptance and deposit, so unless they get an actual withdrawal notice from me, I should be good-to-go.

racerx