OFFICIAL SUNY Upstate Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrKitty said:
Anybody planning to go to Upstate for sure as of tomorrow? If so, do you think it's a good idea to send them an e-mail/call to reaffirm your decision? I want to make sure I am not missing anything :scared:
I never sent them anything else reaffirming anything. If you already sent in your deposit, I think it's a given that you plan to attend if you don't withdraw.

Members don't see this ad.

Darth Asclepius said:
I never sent them anything else reaffirming anything. If you already sent in your deposit, I think it's a given that you plan to attend if you don't withdraw.

Thank you :)

About in-state tuition beginning MS2, is this a guaranteed thing?

Jennifer Welch told us during orientation if we register to vote, get driver's license, establish permanent residency (well, we all will be leasing/renting from someplace anyway) etc., then we will be considered for in-state tuition.

On their website in residency determination part, I and most of you can establish:

Proof of citizenship/permanent residency
NYS driver's license (or probably id card)
motor vehicle registration (maybe)
voter registration
lease agreement
NYS bank account
earliest date of relocation (ok, two months before school starts)

I can't however obtain fed/state tax returns, b/c I don't plan on working, and if I do, it will be during the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year, not in time to determine in-state for MS2.

My question is, with those requirments met, except for tax returns, is our in-state tuition guaranteed? or is it up for consideration.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad :)
DrKitty said:
Thank you :)

You're welcome.

Tzikarii said:
I can't however obtain fed/state tax returns, b/c I don't plan on working, and if I do, it will be during the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year, not in time to determine in-state for MS2.

My question is, with those requirments met, except for tax returns, is our in-state tuition guaranteed? or is it up for consideration.

I'm from Virginia. I filed a NY part year resident return. I don't think I had to, but I did have some interest earned on my savings account and from the deposit on my apartment (like $15), so you can file a return based on that. I did the tax return because it seemed like a good idea and also to help offset my VA tax return (since I worked in VA my senior year). The things they list are all part of what can establish residency. I don't think you have to have them all (for example, registering a car here is on the list, but if you don't have a car, you can't register it). They act like it's not that hard to get in-state tuition after first year. I would not say it's a guarantee, but it almost seems like it is if you do the right things when you move here. You cannot go home for the summer, though. You can leave for vacation for a couple of weeks, but if you move back home for the summer, they won't consider you a NY resident (which is reasonable). The best thing you can do is call and talk to the bursar. He told me exactly what I had to do when I got here last summer and I did everything he said. I will be applying for in-state tuition in a couple of weeks (when the forms for next year come out at the end of the month). I'll let you guys know how it goes, since this seems like a common concern. If it's any help, I got my financial aid package for second year and they based it off of in-state tuition, so I'd better get it or I'm in trouble :eek:

Hello everyone!
Cool to talk to fellow classmates! Can't wait to meet a lot of you. I'm going to be there this summer, but for a lab rotation and not summer anatomy. Living in Clark Tower. I'm staying in Syracuse for clinicals, but that will be another 6 years or so (MD-PhD program).
Have a good summer everyone. See some of you in a few weeks! :)

Hey all,
Im taking summer anatomy and starting to get a bit worried about the difficulty of completing this intense class in such a short time. For all those who took it, I was wondering if you had any advice on how to do well and keep focused in the summer. Also what books are absolutely essential and what should we not spend our money on? Any advice would be great! Thanks so much.

I took it last year. It's a great course and very laid back. In terms of essential books, none are required per se other than the class notes that you're given and the Netter atlas, which you'll get from the alumni. However, some people got one of the Moore books or the other, either Clinically Oriented Anatomy or Essential Clinical Anatomy. I bought ECA but in retrospect, the notes were really enough. What I did find extremely useful was the Rohen atlas, which is a photographic atlas rather than Netter, which consists of drawings only. I didn't use it for dissection but it's great for studying for practicals.

For studying, just don't get behind. Be sure that you find a system that works for you but don't be too surprised if it's not the same system that you used in college. And don't hesitate to ask for help. The final thing is this: it's okay to take the occasional break so long as you don't take too many of them. If you really want to stay focused on class, occasionally you'll have to focus on something else for a little while. Be sure to get to know the people in your class; they may very well become your closest friends in the entire class.

One little fact I just found out the other day: the class is filled (i.e. all 40 seats are taken). To the best of my knowledge, this is the only time this has happened in recent years.

Good luck and see you this summer.

OH NO...I want to take the summer anatomy class too...I just knew recently that I got in....AH~~ will there still have space for me?

Technically no but you may want to call admissions to see if its possible to override the seating limit.

well, besides anything else, there is one factor that makes me hestitated to go to Upstate. I got an impression that not everyone is happy at Upstate during my interview. Even my own interviewer did not like being at Upstate....dude...tell me about "advocacy" there...!!
Anyway, I just want some honest feedback on how Upstate is like. Where goes wrong? the curriculum, the clinical training or the faculties? or...anything else?

Okay, here it is: Upstate has a rather traditional curriculum and everything that means. In other words, one of the major problems is that the required clinical experience in the first two years is relatively small so people don't have many reminders why they're here. In the clinical years (and this is from what I hear - I'm not there yet), the biggest problem is that people aren't as free to play an active role in the treatment team, mainly in terms of doing procedures. I know they're trying to fix this so that people have much more hands-on experience during their clerkships but that'll probably take a couple of years. This also tends to be less of a problem at Binghamton since there are less residents wanting to do procedures than in Syracuse. The facilities are in the process of going through a major upgrade for the first time since University hospital was built in the 1960s. The renovations should be largely done by the time the class of 2010 goes into their clerkships but it's occasionally an issue now.

What I will say is basically that the faculty and administration know what problems they have and are taking affirmative steps to fix the problems. Since we have a number of good professors and a fairly laid back atmosphere, there is a lot to like about this place but it's not for everyone.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decisions.

Random said:
Okay, here it is: Upstate has a rather traditional curriculum and everything that means. In other words, one of the major problems is that the required clinical experience in the first two years is relatively small so people don't have many reminders why they're here. In the clinical years (and this is from what I hear - I'm not there yet), the biggest problem is that people aren't as free to play an active role in the treatment team, mainly in terms of doing procedures. I know they're trying to fix this so that people have much more hands-on experience during their clerkships but that'll probably take a couple of years. This also tends to be less of a problem at Binghamton since there are less residents wanting to do procedures than in Syracuse. The facilities are in the process of going through a major upgrade for the first time since University hospital was built in the 1960s. The renovations should be largely done by the time the class of 2010 goes into their clerkships but it's occasionally an issue now.

What I will say is basically that the faculty and administration know what problems they have and are taking affirmative steps to fix the problems. Since we have a number of good professors and a fairly laid back atmosphere, there is a lot to like about this place but it's not for everyone.

Yo,
Thanks so much for the info on summer anatomy-what did you do in your time off in the winter? Also-do summer anatomy people cover everything that regular anatomy people cover and does taking it earlier affect you when it comes time to the boards?

When everyone else had anatomy, I did an oncology rotation and a radiology elective. I know that other people did the family med elective, one person did OB-GYN, one other poster here, Darth Asclepius, did something in surgery (ENT I think). So there's really a variety of things that you can do, it's just up to your imagination, really. To answer your other question, there's a little variation but generally the two courses are comparable. The summer class last year spent more time on head and neck and less on the leg compared to the fall class but to the best of my knowledge, there really isn't a big difference in board scores. The other thing is that the radiology component of the summer course tends to be much more interactive than the one in the fall. One last note: enough time passes between either anatomy and the end of the second year that no matter which of the courses you take, you'll need to review anatomy for step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random said:

The following is an excerpt from an email sent to the entire class of 2008. I tried to help you guys, but of course, no one listens to me. Enjoy vermont, suckers.

Hi Class,
I know you are all busy studying and this email probably will not solve
anything, but it is something that has been bothering me and severely
affecting several of our classmates. I just was wondering if anyone had any
ideas or thinks there is a way that we could possibly make a difference.

As a lot of you are aware, the class of 2008 broke a record in the number of
students who failed pharmacology. The grand total is 12. Five of those 12
will be taking the shelf exam on the 30th (you had to be within a few points
of passing to have this as an option) and the remaining 7 (or 8...Dr. Grassl
said 7, but students that are in this position said 8) are required to go to
Vermont, accompanied by anyone who does not pass the shelf. The consequeces
of either procedure affects when these students can take the USMLEs, when
these students will start their third year clerkships, and expenses of
approximately $2500 for the class, room, and board if Vermont is in the
future. This does not include the psychological strain that has been placed
on these students during this already stressful time. I would also like to
point out that at least TWO of the students taking the shelf have grades of
69.3% and needed only ONE more question correct to not be in this situation.

Now, an almost 10% failure rate seems a little on the high side and it's
really hard for me to sit back and watch our classmates suffer. This
morning I ran into Dr. Grassl and causually mentioned this and his response
was that "Dr. Jalife and the pharmacology department pride themselves on
these high standards, unlike some of the other departments." It is
respectable to have high standards for your students, and if material is not
mastered remediation is necessary, but when such a high percentage of
students do not meet these expectations perhaps the system has failed these
students and not the other way around. I could very easily see myself in
their situation if I had guessed wrong on a few more questions this year,
and I think a lot of students would agree that the pharm tests didn't always
test our knowledge of pharmacology.

I don't know if there is a way to change what has been determined, but I
really feel that the pharm department should either provide support here at
Upstate for these students or accomadate them otherwise. If your standards
are high your teaching should be just as high and there is an obvious
discordance here.

Thank you for listening and if anyone has ideas if there is something we can
do as a class that wouldn't get us all expelled, please feel free to share.
We've written letters as a group before to get someplace...do you think this
is another time to give that a try?

Shaddap,
For some reason I feel that you are not trying to help anyone, but rather, lash out at Upstate. Obviously, you have hate for Upstate. There are always going to be people like you, but I am quite sure that for every one of you, there are many more people that are happy with their education. Now I know you are going to look and see that I am an incoming first year and say, "Oh you are naive, you know nothing", that's fine.However, I do know people like you; people that have the need to degrade something/somebody in order to nurse their wounds. I hope that you are eventually able to release all of your fury and move on.
I am sure that everyone gets your point, Upstate sucks! In case nobody read that last sentence, SHADDAP THINKS THAT UPSTATE SUCKS. Okay, now that we all know, do you think it is still necessary for more degrading posts? If it will make you feel better, you can send me evil PMs about Upstate, but maybe we should spare the rest of the people on this thread? They are trying to receive helpful information and we have had enough of your help. Maybe if things go well, we can become penpals? I will keep you updated Shaddap.

ndayev6 said:
Shaddap,
For some reason I feel that you are not trying to help anyone, but rather, lash out at Upstate. Obviously, you have hate for Upstate. There are always going to be people like you, but I am quite sure that for every one of you, there are many more people that are happy with their education. Now I know you are going to look and see that I am an incoming first year and say, "Oh you are naive, you know nothing", that's fine.However, I do know people like you; people that have the need to degrade something/somebody in order to nurse their wounds. I hope that you are eventually able to release all of your fury and move on.
I am sure that everyone gets your point, Upstate sucks! In case nobody read that last sentence, SHADDAP THINKS THAT UPSTATE SUCKS. Okay, now that we all know, do you think it is still necessary for more degrading posts? If it will make you feel better, you can send me evil PMs about Upstate, but maybe we should spare the rest of the people on this thread? They are trying to receive helpful information and we have had enough of your help. Maybe if things go well, we can become penpals? I will keep you updated Shaddap.

:thumbup:

also, just wanted to say hi to racerx, what's up buddy? good luck next year to all at upstate, it was hard to turn them down!

LT2 said:
:thumbup:

also, just wanted to say hi to racerx, what's up buddy? good luck next year to all at upstate, it was hard to turn them down!

Hi LT2!!!

Nothing much going on here, just enjoying some down time before classes start. We have a nice townhouse lined up and my wife has a line on a job in the Syracuse area, so things are coming together.

How have you been? Too bad you had to turn them down, but we all have to go where we feel the match/situation fits us best. I am sure you'll do great wherever you go.

ndayev6 said:
Shaddap,
However, I do know people like you; people that have the need to degrade something/somebody in order to nurse their wounds.

Also, they are usually the people that expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. When they find out that there is actual effort involved they whine about lack of support, things are never their own fault.

As naive as we are, some of us also know how to just suck it up and drive on.

ndayev6 said:
SHADDAP THINKS THAT UPSTATE SUCKS.

I would have thought that if it is the hell-on-earth shaddup claims, he/she would have come up with an excuse and transfered.

If Upstate is so bad, maybe shaddup could just start his/her own thread about it, rather than spreading troll-based fertilizer (I think thats what I smell anyway) here.

As of the writing of this, Ssaddup has less than 10 posts. I bet most of them were spent whining in this thread.

shaddap said:

The following is an excerpt from an email sent to the entire class of 2008. I tried to help you guys, but of course, no one listens to me. Enjoy vermont, suckers.

Hi Class,
I know you are all busy studying and this email probably will not solve
anything, but it is something that has been bothering me and severely
affecting several of our classmates. I just was wondering if anyone had any
ideas or thinks there is a way that we could possibly make a difference.

As a lot of you are aware, the class of 2008 broke a record in the number of
students who failed pharmacology. The grand total is 12. Five of those 12
will be taking the shelf exam on the 30th (you had to be within a few points
of passing to have this as an option) and the remaining 7 (or 8...Dr. Grassl
said 7, but students that are in this position said 8) are required to go to
Vermont, accompanied by anyone who does not pass the shelf. The consequeces
of either procedure affects when these students can take the USMLEs, when
these students will start their third year clerkships, and expenses of
approximately $2500 for the class, room, and board if Vermont is in the
future. This does not include the psychological strain that has been placed
on these students during this already stressful time. I would also like to
point out that at least TWO of the students taking the shelf have grades of
69.3% and needed only ONE more question correct to not be in this situation.

Now, an almost 10% failure rate seems a little on the high side and it's
really hard for me to sit back and watch our classmates suffer. This
morning I ran into Dr. Grassl and causually mentioned this and his response
was that "Dr. Jalife and the pharmacology department pride themselves on
these high standards, unlike some of the other departments." It is
respectable to have high standards for your students, and if material is not
mastered remediation is necessary, but when such a high percentage of
students do not meet these expectations perhaps the system has failed these
students and not the other way around. I could very easily see myself in
their situation if I had guessed wrong on a few more questions this year,
and I think a lot of students would agree that the pharm tests didn't always
test our knowledge of pharmacology.

I don't know if there is a way to change what has been determined, but I
really feel that the pharm department should either provide support here at
Upstate for these students or accomadate them otherwise. If your standards
are high your teaching should be just as high and there is an obvious
discordance here.

Thank you for listening and if anyone has ideas if there is something we can
do as a class that wouldn't get us all expelled, please feel free to share.
We've written letters as a group before to get someplace...do you think this
is another time to give that a try?

Shaddap,
While your information may be very useful to people who are still trying to make a decision, for those of us who already registered with Upstate and had to give up all our other seats by May 15th, it's really not helpful. Even if Upstate is as bad as you claim it to be, you still got into a good residency - how did you do it? Clearly you found a way to succeed; how about a little help on that end?

Hi kids,

So I just got a call this morning that I am in. I am scrambling to see if I can pull together a pack/move from NYC to Syracuse next week. How are people doing with the housing situation? I am looking to buy in the next 6 months but want to sublet for the first couple of months so I can look around. Anyone else interested in a summer sublet and being roommates with another MS1? I am going to be taking summer anatomy (yes there are still openings according to Carolyn Couch this morning) and so will need lots of quiet time. I also have a Himalayan kitty.

Looking forward to meeting all my fellow classmates!

n3ur05ur930n said:
Hi kids,

So I just got a call this morning that I am in. I am scrambling to see if I can pull together a pack/move from NYC to Syracuse next week. How are people doing with the housing situation? I am looking to buy in the next 6 months but want to sublet for the first couple of months so I can look around. Anyone else interested in a summer sublet and being roommates with another MS1? I am going to be taking summer anatomy (yes there are still openings according to Carolyn Couch this morning) and so will need lots of quiet time. I also have a Himalayan kitty.

Looking forward to meeting all my fellow classmates!

Congratulations!!! Did you get Syracuse or Binghamton for clinicals? I know you have / had a preference.

My wife and I found a place in Liverpool, about 20 minutes away from school. We aren't buying up there because we're keeping our house. I think my landlord will have more townhouses available. If you're interested, I can give you her name. If you were able to get roommates, it would be quite economical.

Again, congratulations!

racerx

racerx said:
Congratulations!!! Did you get Syracuse or Binghamton for clinicals? I know you have / had a preference.

My wife and I found a place in Liverpool, about 20 minutes away from school. We aren't buying up there because we're keeping our house. I think my landlord will have more townhouses available. If you're interested, I can give you her name. If you were able to get roommates, it would be quite economical.

Again, congratulations!

racerx
Hi racerx. Yeah that'd be great. You can PM me.

Yes I did have a preference for Syracuse and that is what I got.

After thinking things over I've decided to take some time off and spend it with my family before school starts, so I won't be moving to Syracuse until around 1 Aug. I am looking for a sublet (roommie situation fine) preferably near campus (within walking distance would be swell). I have a kitty who will be coming with me. I'm 27/female and don't mind roommates of either sex. I am checking craigslist and orangehousing.com but if anyone has any leads please let me know!

Hey everybody!
I'm not taking summer anatomy, but am starting on June 5th in a lab rotation, and I was wondering if any first years are going to be living in Clark? Just curious, 'cause it'd be cool to meet.
Good luck in summer anatomy or enjoying the summer elsewhere :)
Big Smiles :)

If you're going to be in Clark this summer, just be sure that you bring a fan with you. It's quite hot here and they generally don't put air conditioning in your room without a medical reason. By the way, as of 4 PM this afternoon, I won't be a first year anymore but I'll be in Clark this summer, too.

I have created a yahoo group for the SUNY Upstate Class of 2010.

To join, send an e-mail from the address you would like to subscribe to:
[email protected]

All current Upstate students are welcome too!

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.
Ava

n3ur05ur930n said:
I have created a yahoo group for the SUNY Upstate Class of 2010.

To join, send an e-mail from the address you would like to subscribe to:
[email protected]

All current Upstate students are welcome too!

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.
Ava

Also, I'm driving up to Syracuse this weekend and want to drop off some of my stuff. Does anyone have any storage recommendations? I just called U-Haul and they told me that a reservation doesn't mean anything because if they have a room available they'll give it to me and if they don't they don't and there is no way to tell in advance. I don't want to show up with a car (small car) full of stuff and have nowhere to put it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there another storage place convenient to campus? Is there one on campus?

I have never used this network before, but I am the author of the class email with respect to the pharmacology failure rate. I sent that out to a listserve knowing full well that it would probably be read by more than just the class of 2008, but the intended audience was NOT perspective students. I found out it was posted here through a summer anatomy student who questioned me about these statistics not realizing that I was the author. She was a little concerned, so I felt I should comment and explain the situation.

Now, I haven't started my third year, so Shaddup might have a little more insight on 3rd and 4th year, but I am relatively happy with my decision to come to Upstate. I sent out that email to my class because I felt comfortable enough to discuss this with fellow students and faculty members. In fact, when my advisor found out I was suffering from survivor guilt and concerned for some of my classmates, she was on the phone with the pharm department the next day to see what was going on. It has been my experience that the faculty and administrators tend to listen to us a little more here than at other schools, but unfortunitely the pharmocolgy department is not representative of the school. In addition, when students fail, you can't put all the blame the department. I am not to judge whether these students were competent in the subject, but I did feel that the department could have provided a little more support. If 90% of the class did pass (in addition to everyone that took the shelf) then the system can't be that bad, can it?

Sure, I have my complaints, but no school is perfect and I am perfectly happy here at Upstate. I know for a fact that USMLE step 1 scores (those are the boards you take after second year) are comparable to the national average and students do get into decent residency programs if you work hard--something that is required whether you are at Harvard or a SUNY school.

I probably will not have time to comment on any replies to this, but Saddup is probably just a bitter fourth year or recent grad who did not get into his first choice school and instead of sucking it up like a mature adult has decided hold a grude against the school for accepting him/her. In the future, please do not post information out of context for the sole purpose of scaring entering students. You might not be satisfied with your education here and although there is nothing wrong with making others aware of this, please use facts and your own work to support your argument if you have any.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

RugbyJC said:
I have never used this network before, but I am the author of the class email with respect to the pharmacology failure rate. I sent that out to a listserve knowing full well that it would probably be read by more than just the class of 2008, but the intended audience was NOT perspective students. I found out it was posted here through a summer anatomy student who questioned me about these statistics not realizing that I was the author. She was a little concerned, so I felt I should comment and explain the situation.

Now, I haven't started my third year, so Shaddup might have a little more insight on 3rd and 4th year, but I am relatively happy with my decision to come to Upstate. I sent out that email to my class because I felt comfortable enough to discuss this with fellow students and faculty members. In fact, when my advisor found out I was suffering from survivor guilt and concerned for some of my classmates, she was on the phone with the pharm department the next day to see what was going on. It has been my experience that the faculty and administrators tend to listen to us a little more here than at other schools, but unfortunitely the pharmocolgy department is not representative of the school. In addition, when students fail, you can't put all the blame the department. I am not to judge whether these students were competent in the subject, but I did feel that the department could have provided a little more support. If 90% of the class did pass (in addition to everyone that took the shelf) then the system can't be that bad, can it?

Sure, I have my complaints, but no school is perfect and I am perfectly happy here at Upstate. I know for a fact that USMLE step 1 scores (those are the boards you take after second year) are comparable to the national average and students do get into decent residency programs if you work hard--something that is required whether you are at Harvard or a SUNY school.

I probably will not have time to comment on any replies to this, but Saddup is probably just a bitter fourth year or recent grad who did not get into his first choice school and instead of sucking it up like a mature adult has decided hold a grude against the school for accepting him/her. In the future, please do not post information out of context for the sole purpose of scaring entering students. You might not be satisfied with your education here and although there is nothing wrong with making others aware of this, please use facts and your own work to support your argument if you have any.

I'm an Upstate grad (it was SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse when I started) who is now through residency. I found you all in my spare time... I have alot, I'm currently deployed... Anyway this was the time of year, I was looking at my finances for the next year and decided to take an HPSP Scholarship with the Army. Now I'm in my 4-year active duty payback phase and would like to offer advice to students going to Upstate on if it might be right for you (or just some things my recruiter never told me).

It's not a bad program but there's alot of things that you should know first.... like you ARE joining the ARMY/AIRFORCE/NAVY.... there are benefits (like residency and money) but there's also cons. Since I'm still in, I'm not going to post other comments here, as I don't want to get myself in potentially hot water.

Or for those of you who may have taken the scholarship, feel free to send me an email, and I can advise you on what residencies to apply for, what hospitals to go for your ADTs etc.

I got my orientation packet last night. This is so exciting! Can you believe we are starting school in 2 months? :D :love: :scared: :eek:

DrKitty said:
I got my orientation packet last night. This is so exciting! Can you believe we are starting school in 2 months? :D :love: :scared: :eek:

I just got the call yesterday at 4:30 that I got in.... real excited... when exactly does orientation and classes start???

medschool9 said:
I just got the call yesterday at 4:30 that I got in.... real excited... when exactly does orientation and classes start???

Congratulations ! :) Orientation starts August 22nd, on Tuesday, and classes start the following Monday. The packet contains introductory information for the courses such as MFM, anatomy, the recommended texts and medical equipments, orientation week schedule :love: I am sure you will be getting it in the mail soon enough!

Question about parking...

I'm hoping to find an apartment about 5-10 min driving from the school and I'm just wondering what others in my situation do with theirs cars during classes? It looks like the parking in the R-Lot from the University is not always available (ie: 6am - 830 and not on weekends?) so are there other places to park during these times?

Also, I know there has already been some discussion, but does anyone know how much does it cost?

Also any suggestions on apt complexes are appreciated (jefferson and madison are full)

Thank you!
Christina

angelny1 said:
Question about parking...

Also, I know there has already been some discussion, but does anyone know how much does it cost?

Also any suggestions on apt complexes are appreciated (jefferson and madison are full)

Hi Christina. The parking situation is something that I am currently discussing with one of the deans to try to figure something out for students. If you live off campus you can park in R-lot for your first two years without any problems. If you stay after those times, security has to unlock the lot for you to get your car. I did not do this, so I do not have feedback and am not 100% sure if this is the policy.

If you live in Clark Tower, you can walk to class, but if you bring your car your only campus option is parking in an $81 per month CASH ONLY garage (this is what I am talking to one of the deans about), and I just discussed this with parking a few weeks ago and they confirmed that this is the only option they are allowing for MSIIIs and MSIVs...HOWEVER, I am going to research other options when I return to syracuse and will send an email out to students if I find anything.

As far as other apartments, I live in Clark and would recommend it. Its easy, the building staff is amazing, its furnished, etc. Its also a place where you can move in to start and then move out of once you get to know the area better or make friends. There are other apartments in the area, but I can't think of their names off the top of my head and am out of state right now, so hopefully someone will add to that

Please does anyone know the best place to look for apts? I need to move in by August first and planning to go out there this weekend to inspect some still to be determined properties. I found a place on Park street and someone from the area said it's supposedly a bad area.
Thanks.

Look on orangehousing.com It lists sublets, studios, one and two bedrooms. It also has a list of complexes. There are several apartment buildings on James St that are ok. It's not an amazing neighborhood, but its not too shady either until you start getting really close to the freeway. It's just not really residential. I think that most of the complexes listed on orangehousing are fairly decent. Pretty much anything west of the highway is a bad area, and north of the highway is hit and miss: some areas good, some bad. It's best to check it out yourself by visiting and driving around. Also check craigslist. I posted a housing wanted ad on craigslist and got a good response. Try that too.

studybug said:
Please does anyone know the best place to look for apts? I need to move in by August first and planning to go out there this weekend to inspect some still to be determined properties. I found a place on Park street and someone from the area said it's supposedly a bad area.
Thanks.

n3ur05ur930n said:
Look on orangehousing.com It lists sublets, studios, one and two bedrooms. It also has a list of complexes. There are several apartment buildings on James St that are ok. It's not an amazing neighborhood, but its not too shady either until you start getting really close to the freeway. It's just not really residential. I think that most of the complexes listed on orangehousing are fairly decent. Pretty much anything west of the highway is a bad area, and north of the highway is hit and miss: some areas good, some bad. It's best to check it out yourself by visiting and driving around. Also check craigslist. I posted a housing wanted ad on craigslist and got a good response. Try that too.

Thanks for the info. I did use craigslist to find some places. I have decided i will be driving down this weekend to physically inspect apts and I will be getting commissioned on Monday there for the Air Force HPSP scholarship program as well. Thanks and have a great one.

does anyone have any reasons why I shouldnt live in the dorms for my first year? also what are the two apt. complexes that most students live in?? thanks

medschool9 said:
does anyone have any reasons why I shouldnt live in the dorms for my first year? also what are the two apt. complexes that most students live in?? thanks

I live in Clark and have since I started here (im now an MSIII). Here are some pros and cons...ill try not to be biased...

Pro:
-close to class/hospital
-do not need car
-not too far from downtown
-do not need to buy furniture/bed
-any mantenance issues are taken care of by the staff
-security is good (I think)
-computer and study labs on site
-building supervisor is awesome
-next to ghetto (but adequate) gym

Cons
-first 4 floors are like a dorm: common shower and kitchen, but there is always ample room (floors 5-10 are studios with own kitchens and showers--all have bathrooms)
-might be living in a quad
-rent might be higher, but may be less since it includes high speed internet and cable
-if you do have a car, parking is expensive (but we are fighters!)
-it's not always the "cool" place, but there have been some kickass parties
-the "escort policy" (your guests are suppose to be escorted at all times)
-feels like an institution
-no A/C if you are here over the summer

I know I am leaving off a lot, but the apartments downtown are Jefferson and Madison. I have a feeling they are probably booked, but try all options or what the above posters recommend.

should probably also mention that if you are going to binghamton third year or doing RMED (me) living in clark for the first two years can be easier with the move since you're not gonna gain unwanted furnature. We also have RAs and if you apply you won't have to pay rent for that year if accepted.

did anyone also get an email a while ago about a book on anatomy and physiology that is going into a new edition this fall which barnes and nobles will not carry and that we are expected to purchase/ and or read before class starts?
Does anyone have this book already? how detailed is it? I have a couple of anatomy books at home so I dont know whether I should buy another book.

RugbyJC said:
I live in Clark and have since I started here (im now an MSIII). Here are some pros and cons...ill try not to be biased...

Pro:
-close to class/hospital
-do not need car
-not too far from downtown
-do not need to buy furniture/bed
-any mantenance issues are taken care of by the staff
-security is good (I think)
-computer and study labs on site
-building supervisor is awesome
-next to ghetto (but adequate) gym

Cons
-first 4 floors are like a dorm: common shower and kitchen, but there is always ample room (floors 5-10 are studios with own kitchens and showers--all have bathrooms)
-might be living in a quad
-rent might be higher, but may be less since it includes high speed internet and cable
-if you do have a car, parking is expensive (but we are fighters!)
-it's not always the "cool" place, but there have been some kickass parties
-the "escort policy" (your guests are suppose to be escorted at all times)
-feels like an institution
-no A/C if you are here over the summer

I know I am leaving off a lot, but the apartments downtown are Jefferson and Madison. I have a feeling they are probably booked, but try all options or what the above posters recommend.

thanks for the help.... any knowledge on which is better... jefferson or madison???

I posted before about going HPSP, it's a good program if you're right for it, but there is a difference in the services, and I don't say that because I'm Army, I say that because it's the truth and don't want to see young people getting suckered in without the whole picture.

The Army has you pick 6 military residencies. If you don't get picked up for one of those you go to a civilian residency of your choice. You can list 6 residencies (or transitional years) for every specialty out there. With an 85% Army Match, and an 85% of those matched to their first choice, that's almost a guarantee you'll get the residency you want.

For the Navy and the Air force, they post a certain # of slots for each specialty each year. If you want a civilian residency they have a certain # of slots for those too, so you can see the downfall from the individuals perspective.

Bottom line is that if you are comfortable getting stuck in a residency you might not want choose one of the others.

Finally the Army DOES NOT deploy you or pull you out of residency for a GMO tour (meaning you're a doc without finishing your residency), the same can't be said for the other services.

What makes the Air Force and Navy attractive to people, is the promise of shorter deployments or not going to a place like Iraq. But the truth is that every service is there, Navy goes with the Marines, Air Force goes with Air Force or the Army, it's truly joint.

If you'd like more information or to get linked up with an honest recruiter (I've got a few trustworthy friends out there) you can email me. [email protected]

medschool9 said:
thanks for the help.... any knowledge on which is better... jefferson or madison???

I know friends that live in both and are equally satisfied. I do not know enough about the differences to comment, so maybe someone else can help? Might want to call both and see if there are any vacancies first.

a_armydoc said:
I posted before about going HPSP...[/email]

Hey..ill probably email you, but wanted to reply all so people can see my side too :) Im Navy HPSP, but since you are a practicing physician, you probably know more about my program than I do. I actually chose navy over the other branches because I liked the idea of doing a GMO or going to flight school. Navy flight docs actually get flight time in training, which differes from the other branches. I was a little torn between going to med school and going to OCS after college, so I thought this decision was right for me.

I think doing one of these programs just for the money is not a good idea and found at OIS that these students were unhappy and disgruntled. I also have to say that the paperwork/politics can be a bitch to deal with sometimes, but in the end it works out.

The Navy is the medical corp for the Marines, so if you go Navy thinking you won't get deployed, you could be very wrong, as the above poster says. There are at least 7 HPSP students in my class (2008), so feel free to talk to hunt us down and talk to us about OIS/COT and active training if you do decide to do the program.

I have a question about cell phone plans. I currently have a T mobile family plan and it sucks because the connection quality is basically non-existent and i dont have any desire to renew with them again.
So, I want to get a new family plan with either verizon, cingular, sprint, or whatever. I wanted to know which plan do most people living in clark tower use and which plan has the best connectivity coverage in clark and across campus, in WH and the library?
Thanks

Can't speak for this year but most people had either T-mobile or Verizon last year. Personally, I have T-mobile and haven't ever had any problems. If you're looking to get a new plan, I'd probably go for Verizon but Sprint's pretty good, too. A few people have Cingular and their signal and voice quality wasn't great, at least around Clark. As for signal across campus, my impression is that quality is pretty good throughout for Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

Random said:
Can't speak for this year but most people had either T-mobile or Verizon last year. Personally, I have T-mobile and haven't ever had any problems. If you're looking to get a new plan, I'd probably go for Verizon but Sprint's pretty good, too. A few people have Cingular and their signal and voice quality wasn't great, at least around Clark. As for signal across campus, my impression is that quality is pretty good throughout for Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

T mobile has a really bad network coverage around my parents home and the city we live in so it makes life terrible when trying to reach someone from home. thanks for the info, ill look into verizon.

Has anyone living in clark tower received roommate info, I live far away from school so I havent got anything yet.