Official The Ohio State University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Go to https://acctmgt.service.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/KRB1EntryAdd If your SSN in is the system, it should allow you to create an account. Actually, now that I think about it, because you applied for financial aid, you should be in the system.

Members don't see this ad.

yea.. they ask for your social security number and birthday... and you also have to pick a password and decide if you want to have emails forwarded to a different email address...
but then, you get your very own osu username/email to log in to the financial aid and other stuff (such as joinin the osu network on facebook.. hehe)!! ;)

does anyone know if there's a PDA requirement or recommendation for the first 2 years? there's something about PDAs for Med II on that website for the laptop, but nothing concrete as I could find.

I'm thinking about getting a new PDA/smartphone soon, so if there are specific requirements I'd want to consider that....

Members don't see this ad :)
They give (well, I'm sure we're paying for it somehow) us PDAs at the end of year 2. As a matter of fact, pick up is this week for PDAs and scrubs. I got mine today - it's a Palm TX. They preload a bunch of software on it that we will use during clinicals. Since the hospital is wireless, you can use your PDAs to check patient info (labs, etc).

There is no PDA requirement for the first two years, so there is probably no reason that you can't buy your PDA/smartphone. If it has Wi-fi, you ought to be able to connect to the wireless on campus.

PS - don't forget to save money to buy your football tickets! Student tickets are $150 this year. If you are married, you can get two ($300). New students can order in June. If you are a current OSU student, you need to order by April 30th.

go to www.hangonsloopy.com

Does OSU have a choice of lenders for Staffords and Grad Plus loans? Can students use Medloans or T.H.E. for example? The direct loan program that is described on the website doesn't seem to have very favorable terms in comparison with either of these other programs. Any insights?

Does OSU have a choice of lenders for Staffords and Grad Plus loans? Can students use Medloans or T.H.E. for example? The direct loan program that is described on the website doesn't seem to have very favorable terms in comparison with either of these other programs. Any insights?

I know there is no choice of lenders for Stafford Loans. I don't know about the Grad Plus loans - last year was the first year OSU students could get the Grad Plus loans. The lender for Staffords is the government. What are you seeing that is so unfavorable about them? My understanding was that pretty much all Staffords, regardless of the lender, were at the same interest rate, because it's a loan program backed by the government, so the government sets the rates.

Contact the financial aid office at Phone: (614) 292-8771 or [email protected]. They are really good and should be able to answer any questions/concerns you have. They usually respond pretty quickly. We have our own financial aid office, so we don't have to deal with the hassles of being on hold for 45 minutes to talk to someone, like you do if you are dealing with the main financial aid office.

I know there is no choice of lenders for Stafford Loans. I don't know about the Grad Plus loans - last year was the first year OSU students could get the Grad Plus loans. The lender for Staffords is the government. What are you seeing that is so unfavorable about them? My understanding was that pretty much all Staffords, regardless of the lender, were at the same interest rate, because it's a loan program backed by the government, so the government sets the rates.

Yes, the interest rate is all the same. Rather the differences are in the rather substantial interest rate reductions offered for on-time payments and other 'perks' that the various lenders provide. The direct loan program offered at OSU provides a 0.25% rate reduction for using an automatic withdrawal payment option. This pales in comparison to those offered by Medloans (Sallie Mae) http://www.aamc.org/programs/medloans/students/benefits.htm or Total Higher Education (THE) http://www.northstar.org/Med/repaymentbonus.aspx It is curious why they don't allow options. Edit: I did some more digging on the Direct Loan program and it seems that they do have some similar features--the discription is just well buried in their website.

Also, I heard THE offer to waive or reimburse the $2000 origination fee for Grad Plus Loans. Other companies like Sallie Mae don't do that, to my knowledge. So there are real differences between the companies.

Hm. Don't know. I only had to use a private lender for Stafford for one summer, so I've never really looked into the differences. Obviously, there is not much you can do about the differences in origination fees, but after you graduate, you are free to consolidate your loans with whatever company you want. So, you're not locked into the Direct Loans payment plans and etc. forever.

Anybody did the chat today? Anything interesting?

Hey guys, I will be attending OSU medical starting this August. I fell in love with the place when I interviewed and have never looked back. I can't wait to get started there.

I wanted to shoot a post about roommates/ housing. I am currently looking for a roommate for next year. Preferably male, PM me if you are interested. But also I wanted to drop a note about a great housing opportunity.

My uncle Mike owns a lot of real estate in Ohio. He recently obtained an apartment complex near the medical school. Since his brother (my Dad) is a doctor, he knows that medical students are great people and would be excellent tennants. He is therefore hoping to fill this place up with med students and he has enlisted my help.

The building is on Highland St., about a 10 minute walk (0.15 miles) from the medical school. You can even see the hospital from the top floor of it! It has a great backyard and off street parking. Moreover, since unlce Mike just bought it, he is sinking a lot of money into it to refurbish it this summer (new bathrooms, kitchens, redo hardwood floors etc.).

Each unit is a 2 bedroom apartment, so people who want to live with roommates will definitely love it. However, many tennants in the past have lived in a unit by themselves.

Honestly, I think this is just perfect for med students. It is a 10 minute walk, so you never have to pay for parking. Also, it will be great to live in a building filled with Med 1 students. It will make cramming a lot easier and more fun when you have 6-8 friends next door. Also post exam parties will be a blast (don't tell my Unlce I said that one.)

I am currently abroad so I can only field questions via e-mail/ PM's. I will be back in the US around June 4th, so I can call after that. The rent is going to be very reasonable for medical students (probably around 300$ a month) so I bet this place will fill up. There are 3 units available for the coming school year, so drop me a line ASAP.

Looking forward to meeting everyone this August,
-Bobby

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about aid offer: When do we need to accept our offer? I am waiting to hear back from all schools and I am wondering if there is a final date to decide if we will accept the offer. I'll probably just call the FA office tomorrow, but figured I would ask here first.

yea.. they ask for your social security number and birthday... and you also have to pick a password and decide if you want to have emails forwarded to a different email address...
but then, you get your very own osu username/email to log in to the financial aid and other stuff (such as joinin the osu network on facebook.. hehe)!! ;)

Anybody know if you are stuck with the email address that the system automatically assigns? It did not seem that there was a way to change that.

Question about aid offer: When do we need to accept our offer? I am waiting to hear back from all schools and I am wondering if there is a final date to decide if we will accept the offer. I'll probably just call the FA office tomorrow, but figured I would ask here first.

If you got an answer to this, please share... thanks!

If you got an answer to this, please share... thanks!

I did get an answer to this. I was told that pretty much as long as we accept our aid (keep in mind I was only offered loans, no scholarships) before July, we should be ok and that it wasn't like they would take our money away from us if we did not before then. The woman I spoke to was very understanding that people may not have made a decision on schools before then.

Anybody know if you are stuck with the email address that the system automatically assigns? It did not seem that there was a way to change that.

I'm not sure what you are asking - are you asking about forwarding or asking if you can change your [email protected] (i.e. [email protected]) to something else? If it's the latter, no, you can't change it unless you change your name. It is assigned based on how many people with the same last name registered with e-mails before you. (It's kind of cool to be a "dotone" btw).

Once classes start in the fall, the med school will have your osu.edu e-mail forwarded to your medcenter e-mail address ([email protected]). Kind of bites - you will have two different logins - one for the university and one for the medcenter. Oh - and they use your legal name for the med center address. I don't know if there is anyway to get them to change that or not.

Anybody going to the chat today? I might miss the first 15 minutes, but I'll try to upload a transcript of it here so that people who missed it can see what went on.

I'm not sure what you are asking - are you asking about forwarding or asking if you can change your [email protected] (i.e. [email protected]) to something else? If it's the latter, no, you can't change it unless you change your name. It is assigned based on how many people with the same last name registered with e-mails before you. (It's kind of cool to be a "dotone" btw).

Once classes start in the fall, the med school will have your osu.edu e-mail forwarded to your medcenter e-mail address ([email protected]). Kind of bites - you will have two different logins - one for the university and one for the medcenter. Oh - and they use your legal name for the med center address. I don't know if there is anyway to get them to change that or not.

You answered my question. Thanks!:thumbup:

Anybody going to the chat today? I might miss the first 15 minutes, but I'll try to upload a transcript of it here so that people who missed it can see what went on.

If you got a transcript of it, I'd appreciate being able to read it! I was going to participate but I couldn't get home in time :(.

If you got a transcript of it, I'd appreciate being able to read it! I was going to participate but I couldn't get home in time :(.
Same here. Did I miss anything important?

I have about 45 minutes of the chat. I had to go to work so I left the chat on and came back later to copy/paste and read it. it's 11 pages of stuff so I'm attaching it but they basically talked about housing information..

enjoy~ :D

Attachments

• Now talking in TOSUCo.doc
    80 KB · Views: 219
When does that website for roomate matches start? Also can you get matched with two people, as I am intending on living in a 3 bedroom place. PM me if you are interested.

And can somebody start a facebook group already?!?!

I have about 45 minutes of the chat. I had to go to work so I left the chat on and came back later to copy/paste and read it. it's 11 pages of stuff so I'm attaching it but they basically talked about housing information..

enjoy~ :D

Yeah that's more or less what I have. No real vital information.

yeahhhh finally!!!! Everyone sign up!

I was messing around on the OSU website and found the page for the laptop program with the updated choices for next year:

http://ckm.osu.edu/mobile/5486.cfm

I looked at a few reviews online and most seem to favor the HP tablet over the Lenovo. I am due for a new computer, so I am trying to make a decision that I won't regret for the next four years. Any opinions on the available options through OSU for next year? Are they good enough or should I get one on my own that meets the minimum req's? Thanks.......

I was messing around on the OSU website and found the page for the laptop program with the updated choices for next year:

I looked at a few reviews online and most seem to favor the HP tablet over the Lenovo. I am due for a new computer, so I am trying to make a decision that I won't regret for the next four years. Any opinions on the available options through OSU for next year? Are they good enough or should I get one on my own that meets the minimum req's? Thanks.......

One factor to consider is that the OSU laptop will come with Microsoft Office and assorted other microsoft software as well as virus software included in the cost. However, should you choose to purchase a laptop on your own, you can still purchase the "Buckeye Bundle" as an OSU student. The cost is far cheaper than what you will pay adding the Microsoft Office suite onto a laptop package elsewhere. More info on the "Buckeye Bundle" can be found at http://8help.osu.edu/945.html. I believe you can also purchase Windows XP at reduced cost through the University as well (website says Vista will be available soon) if you opt to purchase a laptop without an operating system.

So it seems that this year only HP's will be available. I wonder why they dropped IBM and Dell. Anybody have any experience with either of these three models? Do people like the tablets or is it a doo dad that is not as useful as advertized?

i only use the tablet functionality when im doing cardio on a machine. its like a mini tv.

Anybody taking this course or know anybody who has done it?

Just curious, are any of you thinking of living in the Neil building? or are most people doing off-campus apartments? thanks!

Can someone refresh the information about commuter parking that is available near the med school? I see chatter about in the previous years threads but I am not sure which lot is being referred to at the "dirt lot" and exactly where that is located. Having looked for apts within walking distance to to the medschool without a lot of luck, the Grandview area seems a good option, but may require drivign to school--or I suppose the bus is an option as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Can someone refresh the information about commuter parking that is available near the med school? I see chatter about in the previous years threads but I am not sure which lot is being referred to at the "dirt lot" and exactly where that is located. Having looked for apts within walking distance to to the medschool without a lot of luck, the Grandview area seems a good option, but may require drivign to school--or I suppose the bus is an option as well. Any advice is appreciated.

It's actually not a "dirt lot" anymore. They paved it last summer, thus eliminating the problems of flooding and some of the icing problems. It is known as the "Cannon" lot. Parking in this lot requires a "C" permit, which last year cost $201 for the year. I'm sure it will go up another $5 - 10 this year. A "C" permit also allows you to park in faculty lots (A and B permit lots) after 4 pm and on weekends (nice for evening or weekend studying in the anatomy lab or library). If you look on the map found at http://tp.osu.edu/maps/hospitalparkingmap.pdf, the lot you are referring to is the big green area towards the top of the page. (Green areas are C permit lots). It looks like a hike from the lot to Meiling Hall (building 281 on the map), but its only about 5 - 10 minutes. If you plan on living in Grandview, this will be the more convenient lot. The other "C" lot on the above map looks a little closer, but it is considerably smaller and much more of a pain to get to than the Cannon lot.

Although you can ride the bus for free (which some students do), COTA is not all that user friendly - most busses only run every half hour to every hour, so if you just miss your bus, you can be waiting awhile for the next one.

Just curious, are any of you thinking of living in the Neil building? or are most people doing off-campus apartments? thanks!

The building itself looks pretty nice. But it feels too much like a dorm.

It's actually not a "dirt lot" anymore. They paved it last summer, thus eliminating the problems of flooding and some of the icing problems. It is known as the "Cannon" lot. Parking in this lot requires a "C" permit, which last year cost $201 for the year. I'm sure it will go up another $5 - 10 this year. A "C" permit also allows you to park in faculty lots (A and B permit lots) after 4 pm and on weekends (nice for evening or weekend studying in the anatomy lab or library). If you look on the map found at http://tp.osu.edu/maps/hospitalparkingmap.pdf, the lot you are referring to is the big green area towards the top of the page. (Green areas are C permit lots). It looks like a hike from the lot to Meiling Hall (building 281 on the map), but its only about 5 - 10 minutes. If you plan on living in Grandview, this will be the more convenient lot. The other "C" lot on the above map looks a little closer, but it is considerably smaller and much more of a pain to get to than the Cannon lot.

Although you can ride the bus for free (which some students do), COTA is not all that user friendly - most busses only run every half hour to every hour, so if you just miss your bus, you can be waiting awhile for the next one.

Thanks, this info helps a lot.:thumbup: Trying to live within walking distance but Grandview looks like a good option as well. Are the A/B lots on the map the Gold colored ones? Any COTA riders out there that care to comment?

For you Columbus residents: an landlord ask for a flat monthly gas/electric fee of $95 and a yearly water fee of $150 for a 1 bedroom apartment for the duration of a one year lease. The apartment itself is old but pretty nice. Is the utilities fee reasonable or rip-off?

Thanks, this info helps a lot.:thumbup: Trying to live within walking distance but Grandview looks like a good option as well. Are the A/B lots on the map the Gold colored ones? Any COTA riders out there that care to comment?

Yes, the gold lots are A/B lots. I rode COTA once and it was a horrible experience, so other than that, I have no comment. Maybe someone who rides it a little more regularly can comment. On the plus side for COTA, you are charged a COTA fee every quarter by the university, so all you have to do to ride the bus is show your student ID.

Is Air Conditioning essential for summers in Columbus?

Is Air Conditioning essential for summers in Columbus?

Essential depends on your heat tolerance, I guess. I would rate it as "highly desirable". You never know exactly how warm its going to be. There have been summers where you might really only NEED air conditioning a few days. Then there are other summers that its absolutely miserable. Its supposed to be in the upper 80s here the next couple of days. If it's humid as well, it will be pretty unbearable. I'm less than thrilled that my central air unit went out and it unlikely to be fixed until at least sometime next week.

According to this, we can't buy parking permits for the 07-08 school year until July 10th right? http://www.tp.ohio-state.edu/alerts/summerparking.shtml But apparently those aren't usable until Sept. 1st, so for parking in August would we need to buy an 06-07 permit and then upgrade to add the summer term?

Is buying the "C" parking permits competitive at all (i.e. a very limited number of permits)? And we can simply order it online right? I'm going to be out of the country for about a month and a half so I'm trying to get this sorted out early, thanks.

According to this, we can't buy parking permits for the 07-08 school year until July 10th right? http://www.tp.ohio-state.edu/alerts/summerparking.shtml But apparently those aren't usable until Sept. 1st, so for parking in August would we need to buy an 06-07 permit and then upgrade to add the summer term?

Is buying the "C" parking permits competitive at all (i.e. a very limited number of permits)? And we can simply order it online right? I'm going to be out of the country for about a month and a half so I'm trying to get this sorted out early, thanks.

You don't need to purchase parking permits before orientation. Traffic and parking will not ticket cars without permits in the lot they tell you to park in during orientation. Staff from traffic and parking will set up shop during orientation and sell you your parking permits. You will receive a 07-08 permit at orientation and you won't have any issues with it, even though it doesn't technically start until Sept. 1st.

C permits are not competitive (one of my rants against the university - a parking permit does not guarantee you a space to park. i.e - they sell way more permits than they actually have spots for). There is a lottery for the (IMO) ridiculously overpriced garage permits, if you are interested in that. You still have to buy a C permit first, though, as the lottery drawing for garage permits isn't until the end of August.

Has anyone started the orientation material stuff?
Does anyone know if we have to do the "Physicians Annual Infection Control Module" too or just the HIPAA modules?

I'm leaving the country next week and not coming back until after July 1st(the due date) so trying to get everything done... bleh...

Thanks!

I live there + living there for summer and next yr, lemme know questions if you have. Haha yeah it does feel like a dorm, it is one.

I got variable answers for this. How many hours a day do classes take up? I know there is class 8-12 every morning, but what about the afternoons? Are they mostly free, or is there lab and small group sessions several days a week?

Also, how easy is it to buy season football tickets and sell them? Many people at Michigan did that, and I think OSU tickets would be worth even more?

I got variable answers for this. How many hours a day do classes take up? I know there is class 8-12 every morning, but what about the afternoons? Are they mostly free, or is there lab and small group sessions several days a week

Probably because it is variable. Typically, you will have a small group session at least once a week for Patient Centered Medicine (ISP and IP). There are also small group Physician Development sessions throughout the year (again, both ISP and IP), but they aren't every week like PCM is. Weeks that there is PCM lecture, there usually is no PCM small group. For IPers, there may be small group sessions related to whatever block you are in. The amount of small group sessions varies from block to block.

If you do IP, it will be a rare week (other than test weeks) where you don't have 1 - 2 afternoon small groups. The small groups range from 1 1/2 hours to ~3 hours.

Also, how easy is it to buy season football tickets and sell them? Many people at Michigan did that, and I think OSU tickets would be worth even more?

Ah. Good question. Incoming students can buy football tickets during June at http://www.hangonsloopy.com. I believe season tickets were $150 this year. If you are married, you can purchase two sets of season tickets. Your spouse will have to take a marriage certificate and get a "dependent" ID, and then you will need to have that ID (as well as your own) to pick up your tickets in August.

Selling them is relatively easy if you sell them to fellow students. OSU requires that a student ID be presented with student tickets. They don't check and make sure that the ID matches the name on the ticket, though. So, if you want to sell them to a non- student, you either have to lend the person your ID or upgrade your ticket to public cost which is a pain, because they don't want you to do it. However, there are usually plenty of recently graduated med students who are staying in Columbus for residency seeking football tickets who are willing to pay a reasonable price for your trouble. They usually have their IDs, so that is a plus. (Disclaimer - OSU does not want students selling their tickets for profit and there is some language in your purchase agreement about them being able to revoke your tickets if you sell them against the terms of the agreement. Not widely followed, but just FYI).

If you have met some people, I highly recommend setting up a seating group of at least two people (if you aren't married). Usually the different classes set up seating groups.

I got variable answers for this. How many hours a day do classes take up? I know there is class 8-12 every morning, but what about the afternoons? Are they mostly free, or is there lab and small group sessions several days a week?

More like 8:30-11:30, with maybe a 1.5 hour afternoon session (never lectures, always small group type of things, usually optional) 2 or 3 times a week. If you are hell bent on skipping like me and my friends, you can get away with going to only the most mandatory things which will total only a few hours each week or nothing at all on some weeks. Everyone will attend class for the first few months, then it will start tapering off. I was missing anatomy lecture and lab by the third month of it.

If you're good about attendance I would say roughly half of the afternoons are free and half taken. I don't think it ever really goes beyond 2pm though. Sry no clue about tix, was never into it myself.

I live there + living there for summer and next yr, lemme know questions if you have. Haha yeah it does feel like a dorm, it is one.

Hey Shredder,

I have a laundry list of questions for you. (Sorry)

Are you in a single or double in the Neil Building? Is it easy/difficult to find vacancies there? And, if you happen to know, how does the Neil Building compare to Jones Tower (a cheaper price)?

(The school's website is frustrating/sparse when it comes to pictures/information. I'm planning a visit next weekend, to see these dorms and other apartments in the area.)

Thanks.