Official The Ohio State University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know who I should contact to see whether my transcript submission went through ok? I've sent my transcript twice to OSU and both times, the degree conferred box was X'ed out (though it does say I graduated with honors later in the transcript). The reason I know this is because I also ordered a personal copy of the transcript for myself both times. I hope I don't run into any problems.

My usual answer . . . contact the admissions office. :) MaryAnn is in charge of student records for the medical college and should be able to take care of it or tell you who to contact in the Graduate/Professional Admissions Office.

Members don't see this ad.

Another question. For those of you who live in Columbus, what cell phone company do you have? Does anyone have Sprint? Does it work ok? Just wondering because that is what I have now and was thinking of renewing my contract but didn't want it to not work super well out there.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I use Verizon but only because everyone I know has it so most of my calls are free. It seems to work just fine here...

Did anybody get confirmation of their laptop order? Has the extra expense appeared on the COA page for financial aid? Anybody know if we have to reapply to Grad Plus to increase the amount of our loan to cover the laptop--or does that happen automatically if the COA is increased?

Thanks

Did anybody get confirmation of their laptop order? Has the extra expense appeared on the COA page for financial aid? Anybody know if we have to reapply to Grad Plus to increase the amount of our loan to cover the laptop--or does that happen automatically if the COA is increased?

Thanks

Hey ladybug1-

My COA hasn't changed...Once it does increase by 1800, I was told I can reapply for more Grad PLUS...I tried to apply for my current COA plus the laptop a couple months ago but the financial people said I had to wait and reapply. And no, I'm under the impression that your Grad PLUS will not increase automatically.

Also, we did get billed for it already... If you are curious, check out:
http://buckeyelink.osu.edu/

Login. Then click on the "Statement of Account" link (the 7th link down). It is a "Computer Equipment Fee AU" (AU for Autumn) for $600.

OSU students get a special deal on cell phones, through Sprint apparently: http://units.osu.edu/wireless/sprint/

FYI Sprint has recently merged with Nextel. Just a crappy random bit of trivia for you.

Personally I have AT&T (used to be Cingular, and before that used to be AT&T Wireless-drives me crazy how many times they merge/change names!). When I was in Columbus, it worked pretty well in terms of reception.

One more week until orientation...how does everyone feel?? Are you guys all moved in and set up yet? I'm excited (because I'm kind of bored) and antsy and anxious too! Ha ha I keep having dreams about not going to class or forgetting to study...

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Katy

Hey ladybug1-

My COA hasn't changed...Once it does increase by 1800, I was told I can reapply for more Grad PLUS...I tried to apply for my current COA plus the laptop a couple months ago but the financial people said I had to wait and reapply. And no, I'm under the impression that your Grad PLUS will not increase automatically.

Also, we did get billed for it already... If you are curious, check out:
http://buckeyelink.osu.edu/

Login. Then click on the "Statement of Account" link (the 7th link down). It is a "Computer Equipment Fee AU" (AU for Autumn) for $600.

what is the "computer equipment fee AU"?? I didn't buy a computer through the school but i still got charged $600... is it a fee for using the computers at school or something? Thanks!

what is the "computer equipment fee AU"?? I didn't buy a computer through the school but i still got charged $600... is it a fee for using the computers at school or something? Thanks!

That sounds like they charged you for a laptop. There is no fee to use the computers in the labs at school. I'm not sure who you need to contact to get that charge removed, but Sam in Financial Aid can probably tell you.

Yay, I'm finally here. Anyone know where a good cheap grocery store is located? Or a market?

Yay, I'm finally here. Anyone know where a good cheap grocery store is located? Or a market?

Kind of depends on exactly where you live and what kind of grocery you are looking for. Krogers and Giant Eagle are the two biggest chains. If you visit their websites, you can find which one is nearest to you. Not sure how cheap it is, but there is a Sunflower Market on High Street in the Gateway area. They claim to be a natural/whole foods kind of place. Wild Oats, largely organic and natural, is on Lane Avenue west of 315. Not really cheap, either, but they have a really nice selection of bulk spices, grains, pastas, etc that are pretty reasonable. If you are into the natural/organic foods type of thing and want to drive a little bit farther, there are also some Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods. There are any number of small ethnic food stores, especially up and down High Street. There are some Super Walmarts and Super Targets in various areas of the city - again, just depends on exactly where you live as to what is most convenient for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything we should be buying now for school or should we wait until orientation for more details? I was thinking about buying used textbooks at half.com, but I heard there was going to be a book sale at orientation.

Also, can we get our BuckID now? The website here says we need our student profile first or something: https://buckid.osu.edu/faqs.asp?section=14&faq=19

Is there anything we should be buying now for school or should we wait until orientation for more details? I was thinking about buying used textbooks at half.com, but I heard there was going to be a book sale at orientation.

Also, can we get our BuckID now? The website here says we need our student profile first or something: https://buckid.osu.edu/faqs.asp?section=14&faq=19

I wouldn't buy any books before orientation. Last year, they told people less than a month before school started that they were using one text for anatomy and then changed their mind before school started. Also, you will want to talk to the M2s and find out what you really NEED to purchase. For example, your anatomy GROUP will need an atlas and dissector for the lab, but you will probably want your own atlas. Some people didn't find the text to be that helpful. If they are still using Grant's Dissector, you will definitely want a copy of that for your own. There should be a fair amount of them available in the used book sale. Some of the other anatomy texts you can borrow from the library closed reserve or go in with your anatomy group and buy one copy to share, because it's not really necessary to have buy your own copy for all the more time you will spend with it.

I believe you can go ahead and get your BuckID. As long as you have already set up your OSU e-mail and registered for classes, you should be ok. Your hospital IDs will be scheduled during orientation.

You can most definitely get your buckid already, I picked mine up today and I took my photo for the medical badge a couple of days ago. I was told that someone would bring our badges en masse to the orientation.

There are Aldis here, which is a really cheap grocery store. The selection isn't as good as a Kroger, but it isn't bad. I'm not sure where they are in the area that you live, but I know of two real close to my area (one in Galloway and one in Hilliard).

Giant Eagle is very expensive, but they have fuel rewards which is nice. Kroger is probably the cheapest around here, but I go from store to store depending on the sales that week. Other stores are Meijer and Walmart.

Also, there are farmers that are selling cheap produce now. Out in my area at least :)

There are Aldis here, which is a really cheap grocery store. The selection isn't as good as a Kroger, but it isn't bad. I'm not sure where they are in the area that you live, but I know of two real close to my area (one in Galloway and one in Hilliard).

Giant Eagle is very expensive, but they have fuel rewards which is nice. Kroger is probably the cheapest around here, but I go from store to store depending on the sales that week. Other stores are Meijer and Walmart.

Also, there are farmers that are selling cheap produce now. Out in my area at least :)

Thanks!

See everyone very soon!

I do my grocieries at the Kroger on Olentangy River Rd, or the Walmart way South on I71. Kroger is closer but Walmart is cheaper. Do not visit the Kroger on King, it's really bad. You'll see. The Walmart at Easton is also not very good.

I ordered books used on Amazon, but I bought most of the anatomy ones from the bookstore or whatever I could get at the sale, as they are needed rather promptly.

Kroger is closer but Walmart is cheaper. Do not visit the Kroger on King, it's really bad. You'll see.

Ah yes. "Crack Kroger", as fondly called by my husband and his fellow OSU alums. :cool:

Hope today wasn't too horribly boring for all of you. Enjoy the white coat ceremony and social tonight.

Ah yes. "Crack Kroger", as fondly called by my husband and his fellow OSU alums. :cool:

Hope today wasn't too horribly boring for all of you. Enjoy the white coat ceremony and social tonight.

Alternately...Kro-ghetto

My general advice is to buy as little as possible unless you get it really cheap at the used book sale. Its just hard to predict whether or not you'll be a "textbook person". I rarely ever used textbooks, knew this, and still ended up with quite a few I never read...the temptation is just too strong...and they make it sound like you'll really need it.

I'd go ahead and get all the anatomy books though and consider that a test of how much reading you do. They become even less necessary after anatomy.

Similarly, before the instrument sale i'd get online and look at instruments, as you can probably find a better price online, esp if you are planning on buying an oto/ophtho scope (which I recomended against buying at all last year, but the school cracked down because everyone stopped wasting their money on this instrument that gets used a grand total of 5 times in all of med school...I'd just buy a really cheap one online like the one I bought ( http://www.medschoolsupply.com/ophthalmoscope-otoscope-kit.htm ) its no welch allyn but it does 99% of the job at something like 25% of the price.

You can probably find a stethoscope online for cheaper also but that is an area where you dont want to skimp in quality because it actually gets used. I'd price a litman cardio II online and keep that price + shipping in mind at the sale, then buy whichever is cheaper.

Great advice, logos. The only part I would maybe disagree with you on is buying ALL of the anatomy books. If they are still using the embryology book and Lachman's case studies, I would recommend either going in with a buddy and buying them or using the copies on closed reserve in the library. Many people never read any of the Lachman's cases at all and did just fine. I quit reading the embryo book after the first exam and only used it for about an hour per exam after that to look up information to complete the objectives.

But yes, do NOT let them talk you into buying the ridiculously expensive oto/ophthalmoscope. I bought one on ebay for $60, I think. If you really want a fancy welch allen, you can buy one of those on ebay that some poor med student is now selling after realizing he never needed it. The tuning forks and reflex hammers are relatively inexpensive. The prices on the Littman scopes weren't too bad - definitely cheaper than what the bookstore charges, but you can get them a little cheaper online. Some online places offer free engraving, which is a plus with a couple hundred students running around with the same stethoscope.

I've mentioned this in an earlier post, but BUDGET YOUR MONEY this first quarter. There are a lot of additional expenses (parking permits, stethoscopes, etc) that hit this first quarter AND the first quarter is a full month longer than winter and spring quarters. You won't get your next financial aid disbursement until after Christmas (private loans may be different). I found money to be really tight both first and second year in december and know lots of other people were in the same boat.

How much are the oto/opthalmoscopes generally at the sale or otherwise? They didn't make it sound like it was necessary, but maybe something will be said this coming week?

Thanks for the suggestions!

How much are the oto/opthalmoscopes generally at the sale or otherwise? They didn't make it sound like it was necessary, but maybe something will be said this coming week?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm thinking the cheapest was over $200, and they will try and sell you the super fancy one that is over $400. Nobody in my class bought them first year (because the upper classmen all told us not to), but then they read us the riot act second year and told us all we needed to have one because during first year sessions when we were supposed to be learning how to use them, we couldn't practice because nobody had bought one. The PD people will contend that even though you may not use it that much in school, if you have your own you will be more likely to practice with it at home and thus be more proficient. :rolleyes: Whatever. So, we all ran out and bought one and then used them exactly twice, I think.

Oh - you also don't need to buy a blood pressure cuff, either. The ones in the sale are ridiculously overpriced. If you feel the urge to buy one so you can practice BPs, you can buy a cheaper one elsewhere.