Official Thread for Step I 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Al Pacino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, who else is taking the Step I this coming May/June/July?

How is everyone else doing? Any other M2s preparing to take this beast of an exam?

I've officially kicked off my Step I studying in earnest this past week. I'm studying neuroanatomy right now. My brain is spinning trying to decipher all these brainstem lesions -- Wallenberg is the bane of my existence:(

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be taking my swing at Step 1 on June 12. I have been trying to look over some Kaplan materials this semester, but with little success. When does everyone finish up 2nd year? I won't be done until May 16, so I feel like I have to get a good bit of studying done before the summer starts. I've heard some schools are kind enough to let their MS-2's out with a good 2 to 3 months to prep for Step 1. Must be nice...

Well, I?m up on June 6th for Step I, and only a few weeks away from the panic stage. I started to study few weeks ago but upon recommendations from some very helpful people on this board I?ve decided to put it off till the last 4 weeks, I guess I?ll just go all out then?.for now, I?m just spending a little bit of time here and there studying behavioral science and some bio stats?also, I just set up my practice test (USMLE CD) at the same center where I?ll be taking Step I (2 weeks before the real thing)?its 40 bucks and it gives me a chance for trial run at the center where I?ll be taking the test?.as for 2 to 3 months for studying step 1, I don?t think I have the stamina or patience to go that long....

June 11 is my day of accountability for the first 2 years of med school. May 16 is my last final. After that I will start intense prep for Step I. For now I am just trying to continue to do well and keep myself from burning out too early. Good Luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how people find time to study for Step 1 before school is over. I feel like I barely have enough time to keep up with all the current stuff I'm supposed to be learning for school. My last exam is May 9, and I'm taking Step 1 on June 17... so that gives me 5 wks to study for the big test. It should be plenty.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! :D

My D-Day is June 5th. Like many others, my last final is May 16th which pretty much gives me about 3 1/2 weeks to prep. Basically I've decided to skip class from now till then and study. I give 4 hours in the afternoon to class work and the rest of the time is for Boards. It sucks, but I figure doing well on Boards is more important that passing my classes with an 85% verses a 75%. Good luck to everyone!!

I am done May 13 and take step one on June 11...I keep thinking that I didn't give myself enough time...but then I remember, how can anyone study more than 4 weeks for this test? You'd have to get so burned out after that! What is everyone studying from? How are you figuring out a study schedule?

I too have taken the May/June/July slot, and would probably give/take/write (or whatever it is that we do with the test) it late May/ early June. I still have to take a final date.

Burn out? What burn out? I have been reading step 1 material for the last two months, albeit slowly and steadily, alongside my internship duties.. But then I need to do that too, because I am more than two years separated from all the basic sciences material.. and more than three and a half years separated from the first year stuff.. Gawd I am scaring myself!!

I haven't touched anat yet, but I am sure I'd hate it almost the same as I did in my first year, if not more.. So I am hoping those that say gross is never more than three or four qs in the whole test are giving honest advice..

Good luck to all!

I'm planning on writing it at the end of the year (Southern Hemisphere and all). Can I ask what may turn out to be a repetitive question? Can someone breakdown their experience with the exam (question types, what to focus on etc.) or otherwise point me to a thread that has that info.
Thanks

I had mine originally scheduled for june 16th (last final is may 12th), but then I panicked and rescheduled for june 26th! I thought I would want to have a nice break between boards and the start of rotations, but I'd rather try to do well (pass?).

For a study schedule, I like the one that was posted on this board a few days ago. I plan on using the brs and high yield books that first aid recommends (along with first aid.) I cannot wait until June 27th.