Official Thread to Biological Sciences section Change 2012-2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punjabi Prince

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that other threads of this topic have already been started, but they are dwindling in attention as well as substance, so Ive created this new thread for the future MCATers to prepare for the MCAT. Alot of commotion has been made about how BS has "changed" and now everyone is panicking. I would appreciate it if all the MCAT takees would be so kind as to post their experience with their BS section, how it was different/similiar to AAMC tests/prep, how to prepare, what to do, etc. Almost anything you would want to know if you were taking it again. Please be thorough and informative, not discouraging or pessimistic. We are all just trying to to well, so if you would like to give your invaluable input it would be highly appreciated on behalf of all SDNers. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So basically those few passages are going to be a representation of what the BS section is taking a shift towards? and that those passages are the best preparation for what is currently on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep AAMC 10/11 are the most representative. More experimental heavy with an emphasis on molecular biology that should tell you to know those concepts cold.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't say it's "changed" 10 and 11 very representative of the exam I took in May. I mean it's not like you're going to get a problem that says "What's a mitochondria?"

So everyone is in consensus about it being most like the 10th and 11th AAMC tests? Also, a lot of people had said that it is more "experimental" based rather than the conventional straight forward passages encountered in EK and whatnot. If you guys could could you elaborate on what that means exactly?

I think people are referring more to questions integrating biology knowledge and experimental methods.

For example, hypothesis X says Y about the experiment being performed. If Hypothesis X is true, what are the expected results.

Stuff like that.

We got 438 views on this thread and only 8 replies, input would be appreciated. Any kind of thoughts or info that might help people!!!

So pretty much "experimental passages with experiments" not "experimental material"? Correct?

Yes that is right. It is more important to work on deduction and analytical skills. You will have passages and questions that barely require any prior knowledge in biology. Remember that you will still need knowledge of the reactions for organic chemistry though.

Yes that is right. It is more important to work on deduction and analytical skills. You will have passages and questions that barely require any prior knowledge in biology. Remember that you will still need knowledge of the reactions for organic chemistry though.

Thanks IslandStyle that was the most helpful and most direct response yet. Although, it would be awesome if people who have taken the test, specifically the June 2 batch bc they apparently were "raped, would share some info or give us some insight :boom:

btdubbs, when I say share.... i dont mean break the disclosure agreement. Just some helpful advice, the more the merrier.

btdubbs, when I say share.... i dont mean break the disclosure agreement. Just some helpful advice, the more the merrier.

The BS (bio part) requires critical reasoning and reading comprehension, stuff that is common for the verbal section. That means not only do you have to know your bio stuff like you would eat pasta, but you have to also know how to reason things out if faced with new situation that makes use of familiar concept (same with PS but more so for BS). If you go through TBR Bio, which is not praised much on SDN you should be fine. Also, some people recommend kaplan sectionals and TPR SW although I have not used those. I am a re-taker here and I plan on doing these (previously I only used TBR and I got 10 on BS without even taking FL) so this time I want add more of the materials and do more FL. Good luck!

I understand that other threads of this topic have already been started, but they are dwindling in attention as well as substance, so Ive created this new thread for the future MCATers to prepare for the MCAT. Alot of commotion has been made about how BS has "changed" and now everyone is panicking. I would appreciate it if all the MCAT takees would be so kind as to post their experience with their BS section, how it was different/similiar to AAMC tests/prep, how to prepare, what to do, etc. Almost anything you would want to know if you were taking it again. Please be thorough and informative, not discouraging or pessimistic. We are all just trying to to well, so if you would like to give your invaluable input it would be highly appreciated on behalf of all SDNers. :)

The BS (bio part) requires critical reasoning and reading comprehension, stuff that is common for the verbal section. That means not only do you have to know your bio stuff like you would eat pasta, but you have to also know how to reason things out if faced with new situation that makes use of familiar concept (same with PS but more so for BS). If you go through TBR Bio, which is not praised much on SDN you should be fine. Also, some people recommend kaplan sectionals and TPR SW although I have not used those. I am a re-taker here and I plan on doing these (previously I only used TBR and I got 10 on BS without even taking FL) so this time I want add more of the materials and do more FL. Good luck!

To the OP, the best way to prepare for the bio section is to do the problems from the kaplan section and topical tests, the advanced passages from TPRH SW, and the TPRH in class compendium(the solution manual is floating around..). These are the most difficult and most representative bio passages available.

To the OP, the best way to prepare for the bio section is to do the problems from the kaplan section and topical tests, the advanced passages from TPRH SW, and the TPRH in class compendium(the solution manual is floating around..). These are the most difficult and most representative bio passages available.

So getting the TPR Science workbook & Hyperlearning are the materials that you suggest will adequately prepare me for the BS section? I have about 1.5 months left, should I hammer myself with them?

So getting the TPR Science workbook & Hyperlearning are the materials that you suggest will adequately prepare me for the BS section? I have about 1.5 months left, should I hammer myself with them?
the in class compendium, the kaplan sections tests, the kaplan topical tests, and the advanced passages in TPRH are the best material. I don't know what you mean by "adequately prepare." The key to success is knowing the basics and having good critical thinking skills. These materials will give you an opportunity to learn these skills, but nothing is a magic bullet.