*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we interviewed but did not match at a Texas school, are we automatically put on the wait-list? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If we interviewed but did not match at a Texas school, are we automatically put on the wait-list? Thank you
I think it's school-dependent. The schools will contact you regarding the next step. Some programs put everyone who didn't match on a wait list, while others may choose to reject some people in favor of creating a more selective wait list.

Not matching really suckkkkks! Especially since I just received ANOTHER rejection from an OOS program. I've only got about 6 options left at this point-- all of which have been dead silent for months :(
6 options, hey, thats still pretty good odds, just stay positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's school-dependent. The schools will contact you regarding the next step. Some programs put everyone who didn't match on a wait list, while others may choose to reject some people in favor of creating a more selective wait list.

god dam it, i emailed the admissions dean at the school about it, big mistake so rude

Well let's hope that they keep their policy that nothing will affect your position on the wait list, even negative factors.
P.S. You didn't mention any information about yourself though right?

Last edited:
Well let's hope that they keep their policy that nothing will affect your position on the wait list, even negative factors.
P.S. You didn't mention any information about yourself though right?

Yeah with my name. I just asked her if she could put me on the waitlist. oh man i don't even know why

Yeah with my name. I just asked her if she could put me on the waitlist. oh man i don't even know why
Oh no, so you're not even on the wait list yet. :(
Let's hope that she doesn't hold a grudge... Or you got a very common name.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it's bold enough and may show interest in the school to merit a waitlist spot.

Last edited:
I emailed the school I didn't match at asking if they received my LOI and also asked about getting on the wait list. I don't think it's a bad thing; just don't sound entitled

I know someone has probably asked this before, but do you guys know when the most movement is for waitlist? I am just curious! Also, was anyone else offered an alternate for A&M after getting rejection email?

I know someone has probably asked this before, but do you guys know when the most movement is for waitlist? I am just curious! Also, was anyone else offered an alternate for A&M after getting rejection email?
You got an wait list email? That's great! I would call them to make sure, but if you get onto the wait list, that's another opportunity!
As for most movement, no idea. It changes each year.

You got an wait list email? That's great! I would call them to make sure, but if you get onto the wait list, that's another opportunity!
As for most movement, no idea. It changes each year.

I emailed TTU Lubbock. she said they make the waitlist in mid march and that those on the waitlist will be notified.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many students get accecpted post-match? Does anyone know approximately? I'm guessing, just a few dozen in all of Texas?

how many students get accecpted post-match? Does anyone know approximately? I'm guessing, just a few dozen in all of Texas?
I'm hearing not even a few... more like 1 dozen for each school. With a wait list pool in the 100s.

I'm hearing not even a few... more like 1 dozen for each school. With a wait list pool in the 100s.

I guess their is very little hope. Because each school only admits some 200 on average, and not too many people are going to leave texas schools, so really i guess its next cycle for me, oh well.

Wow, there isn't alot of hope it seems... although I heard UT Houston has a lot of movement because a lot of their students match to Baylor, so I would say maybe close to 20. I also read in a previous thread that A&M selects candidates off waitlist who best matches the person who gave up their seat to maintain the diverse and academic profile they want to maintain. I am not sure if it is the same for other medical schools.

What does it mean to make the "alternate" list? Is that just the wait list?

What does it mean to make the "alternate" list? Is that just the wait list?
I'm assuming that they feel wait list is too negative a term. So they used "alternate" to make us feel better.

Reactions: 1 users
don't know if this helps anyone else.
meanings.jpeg

Would it be appropriate to call and ask certain schools why I didn't receive an interview? Just purely out of curiosity.

Would it be appropriate to call and ask certain schools why I didn't receive an interview? Just purely out of curiosity.

Most schools state that due to the volume of applications received, they are unable to provide feedback on any individual application. Especially seeing as your current status is "Medical Student (Accepted)" and you will presumably not be reapplying next cycle, I think it's best to just move on with life. Hey, you're going to be a doctor! Congratulations!

Hey what's up all - congrats to everyone for staying sane through these past few months and extra congrats to all those happy with the application cycle!
This is my first post. I'm mainly just interested in seeing if there's anyone else that experienced something similar to me this past cycle/serve as a reference to future applicants.

This is a quick snapshot of my application: 91% percentile MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, ORM, TX resident, top 20 university, transmitted end of June, study abroad in a Spanish speaking country, normal health care volunteering and non healthcare volunteering experiences throughout college, lots of research.
-Graduated in June 2016 and have been working for a healthcare company
-At the time of my application I had "2 submitted" 2nd author publications in my TMDSAS. Both got published in the last 2 months.

Overall, I saw myself as a pretty competitive applicant with the weakest point in my application being the low science GPA. I figured the competition at my university and pretty good MCAT score would make up for it to a certain degree? I didn't expect interviews at UTSW or Baylor, but I thought I had a solid shot of getting interviews at basically every other school. I only received invites from UTRGV (couldn't attend interview), TCOM, and A&M (day after I called them to check the status I got an invite).

I ended up matching at TCOM, which I ranked below A&M (alternate). I'm cool with going to TCOM, but I really thought I'd have more success at least getting interviews at places like Tech, UT-San Antonio, McGovern, etc. Anyone else go through something similar/think I had a weird draw of the cards? I'm just trying to understand how this whole process actually works...

Hey what's up all - congrats to everyone for staying sane through these past few months and extra congrats to all those happy with the application cycle!
This is my first post. I'm mainly just interested in seeing if there's anyone else that experienced something similar to me this past cycle/serve as a reference to future applicants.

This is a quick snapshot of my application: 91% percentile MCAT, 3.7 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, ORM, TX resident, top 20 university, transmitted end of June, study abroad in a Spanish speaking country, normal health care volunteering and non healthcare volunteering experiences throughout college, lots of research.
-At the time of my application I had "2 submitted" 2nd author publications in my TMDSAS. Both got published in the last 2 months.

Overall, I saw myself as a pretty competitive applicant with the weakest point in my application being the low science GPA. I figured the competition at my university and pretty good MCAT score would make up for it to a certain degree? I didn't expect interviews at UTSW or Baylor, but I thought I had a solid shot of getting interviews at basically every other school. I only received invites from UTRGV (couldn't attend interview), TCOM, and A&M (day after I called them to check the status I got an invite).

I ended up matching at TCOM, which I ranked below A&M (alternate). I'm cool with going to TCOM, but I really thought I'd have more success at least getting interviews at places like Tech, UT-San Antonio, McGovern, etc. Anyone else go through something similar/think I had a weird draw of the cards? I'm just trying to understand how this whole process actually works...

Did you do any shadowing? Believe it or not shadowing is debatably the most important EC on your app. Shadowing and other healthcare experiences are not synonymous either, you ideally want a minimum of 40 hours, preferably with a primary care physician.

My application is very similar to yours and I was hoping for at least 3-4 interviews. I ended up getting only 2, late ones, nov-dececmberish, even though I was complete by the end of may. I didn't match to either. IDK how the process works tbh. It's very stressful and disheartening. So I feel your pain.

Whoa this is almost me. Similar stats, transmitted mid-June, only interviewed at tcom and a&m, Pre-match at tcom and waitlisted at a&m. I also really expected to interview at San Antonio and tech but none ever came. The only thing I could think of was a bad LOR somewhere in there. Definitely feel your pain, but the more I research tcom the more I love it so I think we are fortunate to have an acceptance there :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did you guys hear about A&M cancelling their waitlist? I really hope other Texas schools don't follow their lead...

Did you guys hear about A&M cancelling their waitlist? I really hope other Texas schools don't follow their lead...

Wow. It makes you wonder about the status of other schools for sure. I'm guessing every school will handle budget cuts differently, but even A&M cutting seats alone is a big hit to Texas residents hoping to stay in state.

Yes because of legislature based reduced funding of 6-50 million... BUT any possible movement expected is after MAY 29th. I hope those who have multiple offers can be selected off waitlist after that date because it conflicts with the TMDSAS June 1st rule and the traditional waitlist period is now on hold

Yes because of legislature based reduced funding of 6-50 million... BUT any possible movement expected is after MAY 29th. I hope those who have multiple offers can be selected off waitlist after that date because it conflicts with the TMDSAS June 1st rule and the traditional waitlist period is now on hold
Any possible movement for the TAMHSC WL is highly, and I stress, HIGHLY unlikely given the fact that they have 180 seats right now and they are planning on shrinking it to 150. Any attrition will be made the class size unless more than 30 people drop, then they'll go down the WL.

Anyone attended or is attending a reapplicant workshop? Curious to know if there's a dress code, especially for TAMHSC's tomorrow

Question about establishing Texas residency:
From TMDSAS,
"To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and

Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, by doing one of the following:

Be gainfully employed in Texas - Gainful employment is employment intended to provide an income to a person or allow a person to avoid the expense of paying another person to perform the tasks (as in child care) that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual’s tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week. A person who is self-employed, employed as a homemaker or who is living off his/her earnings may be considered gainfully employed for tuition purposes, as may a person whose primary support is public assistance. Employment conditioned on student status, such as work study, the receipt of stipends, fellowships, or research or teaching assistantships does not constitute gainful employment."

Is AmeriCorps "Gainful employment"?

Do you guys know if UT San Antonio and UT Houston will have waitlist movement this application cycle? Do you guys know the percentage of people who usually gets off waitlist? Thanks

Do you guys know if UT San Antonio and UT Houston will have waitlist movement this application cycle? Do you guys know the percentage of people who usually gets off waitlist? Thanks
I checked on the MSAR and neither of these two schools provided numbers about how many were accepted from the wait list last year.
However, I reviewed the school threads from 2015-2016 and 6 SDN members reported being accepted off the wait list at each UTHouston and UTSA. Of course SDN members are just a subset of all applicants, so there were probably more. WL Offers began in mid April and carried through to June.

Does incarnate word have any participation in the TMDAS rules? For example would having an acceptance there count has " holding" at a Texas school after June 1?