sweatybrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
402
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While I am still waiting to hear from a couple more schools, Chicago will always be among my top choices. I am beginning to look around for apt. in Chicago. What are some of the most desirable areas to live in? Ideally, I would like a neighborhood where I can just walk out to get grocery/go to bar/socialize/hang out in bookstore (sounds a lot like NYC :D)? Where do most students live?

(i'm probably looking to buy.)
 

Aladdin Sane

Harry Potter Freak
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
44
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
a lot of U of C people live in Hyde Park, 57th Street, 56th and South Hyde Park, the Regents and South Shore Drive are the big areas. I personally liked 57th Street, it has lots of apartments, it's close to the 57th Street Book Store, the Seminary Co-Op bookstore, the cleaners, a hair salon, and like 5 restaurants. A lot also commute from the North Side, like Jackson Park and Lincoln Park, which is easy if you have a car or you can take the downtown shuttle the university runs.

i lived on the corner of 56th and South Hyde Park Avenue, the bus stopped right across the street from me, i was a five minute walk from the grocery store and the convenience store was right around the corner, which was awesome :)

hyde park is cool, you have your restaurants, an awesome grocery store/Co-Op down on 55th Street, it's pretty easy to get around because the university has the buses through CTA and it's own private bus system at night. bar wise there's a couple of local hangouts, my favorite was Jimmy's, it's on 55th and Woodlawn Avenue, really cheap spot with a mixture of locals and students and of course there is the Pub (lifetime membership only costs 5 bucks!) over at Ida Noyes. Mostly grad students chill there and undergrads, it has a full set of encyclopaedias to settle arguments behind the bar :)
 
OP
S

sweatybrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
402
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what? I'm the only one who wants to go to Chicago?

Thanks for your reply. I have a few more questions:

Housing:
Is the Hyde Park area relatively safe? (A few years ago, I think it was on Money Magazine's list of upcoming neighborhoods?) how much (approximately) does a decent one bedroom cost? Do you need a car to get around if you live in the area for the first year?

Curriculum:
How much time do you spend in class during the first year? Second year? According to my host, the students are in class a lot, but that could be a good thing given how much I hate studying outside a structured context. (It just means I'll do less independent studying) Do people go to lecture? Or do most opt to sleep in and watch some sort of streaming videos? I'm also curious about the flexibility of the curriculum because I'm interested in taking a class in the business school, and perhaps on the undergrad campus (comp lit, anyone?)

If it's not clear, I :love: U of C!
 

Aladdin Sane

Harry Potter Freak
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
44
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Priztker is my #1 choice, but I am applying for next year, I went to UChicago undergrad hence my reply :)

My apartment which had 2 bedrooms, a large living room, decent kitchen and nice sized bathroom cost $940 a month. You can get apartments for much less, I saw apartments around 53rd and ellis for about $880 and I heard that you can score apartmentsh as low as 300 dollars a month if you live with a couple of people. The Regents is a lot more expensive, apartments go for about $1500 and up and it's more out of the way, it's on 51st Street. One bedrooms generally run around $900 to $2000 depending on the building.

Safetywise, when I was there Hyde Park was in the middle of a crime low. Sure there were your occassional muggings and whatnot but that can happen in any city and lots happened when people would walk home at like 2am by the themselves rathering than calling the service van aka "the drunk van" to take them home. but i used to walk home with friends from parties at 3:00am, nothing ever happened as long as you stay aware and stick to lighted streets. but hyde park it's mostly a university town, UChicago owns pretty much all of the property around campus and lots of various apartment buildings around the area, but I think those are mostly reserved for grad students and professors.

in terms of work, i have no idea but i talked to plenty of grad students when i was there and they are pretty happy people, they have fun, work hard and still have time to have a life. i'm sure you can take classes wherever you want, the school preaches the "life of the mind" philosophy. no seriously, i took a graduate human rights class and half of the class were med students mixed in with the polysci majors so it totally happens.
 

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
689
1
38
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i have been advised by a friend that i would really like the bucktown/wicker park area of chicago. she said it is "hip and funky" much like myself and that it generally kind of an artsy, record store and boutiques kind of place. sweatybrain, this may be up your alley as well. i've looked on craigslist and it seems there are a lot of really awesome and affordable loft style places in that area. i'm really not interested in being surrounded by undergrads and grad students all the time so i don't think i'd like hyde park. i also heard hyde park wasn't that nice compared to some other places, such as the loop, where many young professionals live.
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
I most likely will be at Pritzker next year as well. I am waiting on a few schools but even if I get accepted to one of them, I really loved Pritzker and it would be hard to pass up. i haven't decided where I will live yet. I am thinking about living in Hyde Park the first year and then moving to the North Side after that. It is an awesome place!
 

sportschick

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2004
50
0
Boston
Status
im also most likely going to be at pritzker, and cant wait ~ i absolutely loved it when i interviewed :)

Im thinking of living in that Regents Park apartment bldg... ive heard good things about it, and figure it might be a good way to start off, then see where id want to move for 2nd year, etc.

cant wait to meet classmates :)
 

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
689
1
38
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sportschick said:
im also most likely going to be at pritzker, and cant wait ~ i absolutely loved it when i interviewed :)

Im thinking of living in that Regents Park apartment bldg... ive heard good things about it, and figure it might be a good way to start off, then see where id want to move for 2nd year, etc.

cant wait to meet classmates :)

my host lived in regents park. i was very impressed with it, especially for the price. i liked that they had a little grocery place right within the building as well as a gym. my host had a two bedroom/two bath place all to herself which was a little ridiculous but her daddy footed the bill...
 
OP
S

sweatybrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
402
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
CarleneM said:
my host lived in regents park. i was very impressed with it, especially for the price. i liked that they had a little grocery place right within the building as well as a gym. my host had a two bedroom/two bath place all to herself which was a little ridiculous but her daddy footed the bill...
my host lives around the west loop, has an awesome loft which I was very impressed with (especially coming from a tiny closet in NYC). And thanks for the suggestion about wicker park/buck town? Any idea how long it would take to commute to the school?

(I had a day off between my NU and U of C interviews and had a lot of time to explore Chicago. One of the things I loved about the city is that while it's big, it has a bunch of little neighborhoods that are really really different. A little bit like NYC, but without all the hustle bustle and $$$ rent.)

Also, what is this business about merit money? (I'm still waiting impatiently for my acceptance package.) Do we have to apply for it, or is it invitation only? (Chicago would be firmly at the top of my list if I were privileged enough to get some hot financial aids package.)
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
Hi, just got my call from U of Chicago three days ago - man, was I happy! Chicago has been my first choice every step of application and interviewing. I guess I'll be apartment hunting in early summer... probably looking for a walk-up one-bedroom in Hyde Park or close by.

I'd be interested too in knowing if anyone has gotten the $$$ from Chicago - although honestly I doubt it would sway me too much - unless Columbia decides to accept me and offer a full ride ;)
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
frycek said:
Hi, just got my call from U of Chicago three days ago - man, was I happy! Chicago has been my first choice every step of application and interviewing. I guess I'll be apartment hunting in early summer... probably looking for a walk-up one-bedroom in Hyde Park or close by.

I'd be interested too in knowing if anyone has gotten the $$$ from Chicago - although honestly I doubt it would sway me too much - unless Columbia decides to accept me and offer a full ride ;)
Congrats! That call feels good doesn't it? Feels like the weight of the world is lifted off your shoulders.

On another note, have you all seen a match list better than U Chicago's? I haven't besides Harvard and Hopkins, so I was wondering why U Chicago is ranked lower than some of the other schools. Also, US News has a 10.3 average MCAT for Chicago while Chicago says 11.0 average for the class of 2004?
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
Yes, it definitely ranks as one of the top phone calls of my life! I had been thinking/planning/fantasizing about living in Chicago for a while... but I kept having to stop myself and remember that it was all in my mind still. Then - ring! It's reality!

Yeah, those rankings really are... well - how much can they mean, really? Obviously they can give you a rough idea the basic level of a school. But they're just based on a few numbers - admissions stats and research grants, from the looks of it.
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
any other potential U of Chicago folks out there?

i'm headed in to hyde park/u of chicago tomorrow - my boyfriend is there to give a talk, actually (he teaches italian literature), but i'll going along to hang out at the med school for a while. there are no classes, but they've set me up with a fourth-year student. i've been planning on this for a while (and thinking it might be a chance to talk to the admissions folks more about how serious i was about the school) - but now i'll be there as a future student!
 

el_chavo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
70
0
Chicago
www.geocities.com
Status
I too am excited about the prospect of going to Pritzker. I really got a good feeling interviewing there and have seen and felt a tremendous outpouring of support from current students and even got a call from the assistant dean saying he was in town and contacting accepted students to go out to dinner. wow. I am from Arizona however so Chicago will be quite the change for me. I am also bringing my roomate with me (I'm married). Anyone know about the situation for those looking to possibly purchase a small home or townhome? In the meantime, I'm trying to hit all the winter clearance sales here in AZ anticipating the cold next year.
 
OP
S

sweatybrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
402
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
el_chavo said:
and even got a call from the assistant dean saying he was in town and contacting accepted students to go out to dinner. wow.
Wow!!!!!!! Can you imagine any other school that would do something like that? The more I hear about Chicago and the more I read through the match list, the more I love this school!!!

U Chicago = Classy :love:
 

sportschick

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2004
50
0
Boston
Status
sweatybrain said:
Wow!!!!!!! Can you imagine any other school that would do something like that? The more I hear about Chicago and the more I read through the match list, the more I love this school!!!

U Chicago = Classy :love:
Chicago really is great about wanting to get to know students ~ last week, one of the admissions deans was here at hopkins and invited us to a reception in order to meet us. She was incredibly friendly, and answered all our questions about UChicago too. From what ive seen, the entire community there has a great feel... can't wait for it :)
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
To add to the glow about Chicago, I was just there yesterday and had a wonderful visit. I had a more extensive tour of the campus (the whole university) with a second-year student - we really hit it off and had a great time. He showed me student center- type places, lounges... all that wood panelling and iron grilling... now that's a real school! We also got into the incredible new children's hospital that just opened last weekend. And then I had meetings with both a dean of admissions (Sylvia) and director of admissions (David, who I had done my interview with.) I really only needed to ask about what forms I had to complete for finanacial aid, but we talked for a long time and they were interested in knowing all about my life - very genuinely friendly. Anyway, I came home glowing inside thinking about being there next year!

"Anyone know about the situation for those looking to possibly purchase a small home or townhome? In the meantime, I'm trying to hit all the winter clearance sales here in AZ anticipating the cold next year." (el_chavo)
they say that a lot of people do buy in hyde park, and that it's a great real estate market. and yes... lots of warm clothes = essential. i'm getting one of those huge thick coats from eddie bauer (although i'm pretty used to such winters already.)
 

VeggieGal

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
177
0
Status
hey guys, does uchicago have a 2nd look weekend and when is it? i really want to go back and check out the school a second time.
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
frycek said:
To add to the glow about Chicago, I was just there yesterday and had a wonderful visit. I had a more extensive tour of the campus (the whole university) with a second-year student - we really hit it off and had a great time. He showed me student center- type places, lounges... all that wood panelling and iron grilling... now that's a real school! We also got into the incredible new children's hospital that just opened last weekend. And then I had meetings with both a dean of admissions (Sylvia) and director of admissions (David, who I had done my interview with.) I really only needed to ask about what forms I had to complete for finanacial aid, but we talked for a long time and they were interested in knowing all about my life - very genuinely friendly. Anyway, I came home glowing inside thinking about being there next year!



they say that a lot of people do buy in hyde park, and that it's a great real estate market. and yes... lots of warm clothes = essential. i'm getting one of those huge thick coats from eddie bauer (although i'm pretty used to such winters already.)
how is the new children's hospital? It wasn't yet open when I was there but i heard it is amazing, with flat panel tv's everywhere, really state of the art. I also saw that Chicago's Biological Division (pritzker included) is getting like 450 million for research and to recruit more faculty. Anyone know about this?
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
(VeggieGal) hey guys, does uchicago have a 2nd look weekend and when is it? i really want to go back and check out the school a second time.
Yes, they have several. I'm going on May 9 (which I think is the last one.) Just call or email the admissions office and I'm sure they'll hook you up with one.

how is the new children's hospital? It wasn't yet open when I was there but i heard it is amazing, with flat panel tv's everywhere, really state of the art. I also saw that Chicago's Biological Division (pritzker included) is getting like 450 million for research and to recruit more faculty. Anyone know about this?
I was very impressed with the children's hospital - very colorful, decorated through the wards, not just the lobby - there are these overhead lights in the elevator that keeps changing color. The rooms in the ward I saw were huge, with nice big couches for family members.
All the extra money might have something to do with that big interdivisional research building that's going up right by the med school building.
 

el_chavo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
70
0
Chicago
www.geocities.com
Status
frycek said:
they say that a lot of people do buy in hyde park, and that it's a great real estate market. and yes... lots of warm clothes = essential. i'm getting one of those huge thick coats from eddie bauer (although i'm pretty used to such winters already.)
Do you know of a good source of information on the real estate situation? Both my wife and I are from Arizona so if you find us frozen on the sidewalk next year, be a pal, thaw us out :). I think I may do as you did and just go for my own 2nd look. I don't think April 15th will work for me (if that's the real time)
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
Does anyone know anything definite about a second look?
 

kiwie07

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
135
0
Status
blump said:
Does anyone know anything definite about a second look?
They don't have a formal second look weekend, but they have set aside several weekends during which you can go and meet students etc:

Three revisit dates are scheduled throughout the remainder of the academic year: March 9, April 11, and May 9. A financial aid session is included as well. Arrive in time for dinner the night before with your student host as well as the other students who are in town for the revisit, and then the next day you will be on campus for most of the day, finishing up at about 4:00.

:)
 

VeggieGal

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
177
0
Status
do they pay for 2nd look or reimburse for airfare? i am assuming no, but i just thought i would ask. also, how should we sign up for this?
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
frycek said:
I'm pumped about perhaps being at U Chicago. The more I see other schools, the more I like U Chicago. Anyone thinking about living in Hyde Park or downtown?
 

sportschick

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2004
50
0
Boston
Status
blump said:
I'm pumped about perhaps being at U Chicago. The more I see other schools, the more I like U Chicago. Anyone thinking about living in Hyde Park or downtown?
I think im going to start with Hyde Park, and then see if i want to go with downtown after that... Im trying to start looking at places, and saw that Regents Park is a place alot of people live... it seems like a good place to maybe start off, but then again, right in Hyde Park might be better than a bus ride to campus every day... how are you looking for places? (though apparently we are getting housing stuff in a couple months that gives us pointers on all this.

and can you believe, we have an orientation date already? it was in the finaid packet... we start sept 19! :eek:

this is going to be awesome :D
 

Stendek

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2004
58
0
Status
Hyde Park is a great place to live! However, for those of you who are looking to buy it is really pricey - not as bad as downtown/lincoln park, but it is really an inflated market. There is a new high rise with rehabbed (really beautiful actually) apartments called Star Tower on the corner of 54th and Harper. I think 2 bdrooms are priced from 170k. It is a great area- about 15min walk to campus and right by the major grocery in HP. PM me with any questions.
 

soonthere

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
6
0
Status
hi sportschick

when did you get your finaid packet? when was all your info complete and sent in? i am getting a bit anxious to see mine...thx!


sportschick said:
I think im going to start with Hyde Park, and then see if i want to go with downtown after that... Im trying to start looking at places, and saw that Regents Park is a place alot of people live... it seems like a good place to maybe start off, but then again, right in Hyde Park might be better than a bus ride to campus every day... how are you looking for places? (though apparently we are getting housing stuff in a couple months that gives us pointers on all this.

and can you believe, we have an orientation date already? it was in the finaid packet... we start sept 19! :eek:

this is going to be awesome :D
 

el_chavo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
70
0
Chicago
www.geocities.com
Status
soonthere said:
when did you get your finaid packet? when was all your info complete and sent in? i am getting a bit anxious to see mine...thx!
I wrote inquiring about timing with the financial aid packets and I was told they won't be out until the middle of April or so because they lay out all four years. That's cool and I suppose a lot could change in four years.
I'm eager to move and I think if orientation doesn't start until the middle of September I may have several months to get to know Chicago and other mid west stuff. I'm excited.
 

FloridaMadame

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
154
2
Status
VeggieGal said:
do they pay for 2nd look or reimburse for airfare? i am assuming no, but i just thought i would ask. also, how should we sign up for this?
No, they don't pay for 2nd look but they do find a student host for you to stay with. Also, you have to call or e-mail Joni Huff because she will arrange your host for you. Supposedly, it is an informal type of program done in small groups, and as someone else previously said, you have a choice of 3 dates for the visit, but they would like you to come the night b/4 in time for dinner (maybe they pick up the tab on that?????) :)
 

yabastaman

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
29
0
38
Sacramento, CA
www.anomie1.com
Status
Greetings. Im a first year here at Pritzker and I think I can help a few of you with some of your questions.

1) Im a co-chair for hosting and if you're thinking of taking a 2nd look do try to make it for the dinner b/c you will get to meet multiple med students from MSIs all the way up to MSIVs...also the dinner is bomb and the completely free!

2) I live in Hyde Park and I love it. I love it for a couple of reasons. Im from California and Im used to living in multicultural neighborhoods. Chicago is a segregated city and there are not many neighborhoods as integrated as this one. Also, I hate commuting...Where will you spend most of your time drinking in a bar downtown or going to class...hopefully this might help you decide where to live. If you want some interesting facts on Hyde Park go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Chicago

You can email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions...and for those who have already been accepted...Enhorabuena!! :thumbup:
 

sockandmittens

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
340
0
Status
wow- i'm impressed that everyone seems to know that chicago is the place for them already!

Anyone still deciding or unsure (like me)? My best friend likes to walk around saying "Uchicago, where fun goes to die" (apparently a motto of the undergrad not grad programs), but it's making me a little wary.
 

housemd

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
114
0
Status
sockandmittens said:
wow- i'm impressed that everyone seems to know that chicago is the place for them already!

Anyone still deciding or unsure (like me)? My best friend likes to walk around saying "Uchicago, where fun goes to die" (apparently a motto of the undergrad not grad programs), but it's making me a little wary.
I think that is the motto of the undergrad program like you say. The students I have talked to all seem really chill and I am sure the P/F system makes things a lot more manageable. Also, the city of chicago is right there, so im not too worried about it. I was undecided until a few weeks ago and now am pretty sure i will be there next year. It just seems like a very supportive, environment with a great reputation, especially if you want to do specialties or academic medicine at some point.
 

sockandmittens

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
340
0
Status
housemd- that's great, and i think that you're right about it really being an ugrad thing.

anyone trying to decide between chicago and the new england medschoosl (Penn, Cornell, etc)?
 

housemd

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
114
0
Status
sockandmittens said:
housemd- that's great, and i think that you're right about it really being an ugrad thing.

anyone trying to decide between chicago and the new england medschoosl (Penn, Cornell, etc)?
Columbia and Nyu. But i like the city of chicago better (its beautiful) and cant imagine living in overpriced dorms or 5 X 5 apts for 1200 a month again. But, thats just me.

I would just feel out the schools, the stress level, the administration, the students, and the cost. You cant go wrong with your choice. You will be able to get where you want to go professionally regardless. Just go with your gut!
 

VeggieGal

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
177
0
Status
hey guys, does anyone know about deferring at uchicago. who should we talk to? is there a deadline to let them know? how willing are they to let people defer?

thanks!
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
VeggieGal said:
hey guys, does anyone know about deferring at uchicago. who should we talk to? is there a deadline to let them know? how willing are they to let people defer?

thanks!
I would just call and ask to speak with the admissions director. I am sure they would be understanding if you have a good reason.
 

housemd

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
114
0
Status
Does anyone know if most students live in Hyde Park or downtown? Has anyone heard any anecdotes from students preferring one or the other?
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
Does anyone know if most students live in Hyde Park or downtown? Has anyone heard any anecdotes from students preferring one or the other?
I read in the orientation booklet (the one for last year's class) that most/almost all MSI's and MSII's live in Hyde Park, but some branch out over the years - so maybe only half of the MSIV's live there. I talked to a MSII who was just about to move to the north side - he wanted to be nearer the cultural/night life up there - but he recommended living in Hyde Park for at least the first year. That's what I plan on doing. The other day I was just sneaking a look at craigs list Hyde Park real estate... a little premature, and I won't have time to research it seriously til June, but it was fun and got me excited for the move.
 

housemd

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
114
0
Status
frycek said:
I read in the orientation booklet (the one for last year's class) that most/almost all MSI's and MSII's live in Hyde Park, but some branch out over the years - so maybe only half of the MSIV's live there. I talked to a MSII who was just about to move to the north side - he wanted to be nearer the cultural/night life up there - but he recommended living in Hyde Park for at least the first year. That's what I plan on doing. The other day I was just sneaking a look at craigs list Hyde Park real estate... a little premature, and I won't have time to research it seriously til June, but it was fun and got me excited for the move.
Thanks frycek. I think I might do the same. Its nice that classes dont start until late September.
 

dcesnc

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2004
19
0
Visit site
Status
Hi everyone, I'm a 1st year at Pritzker, and I remember reading all these posts last year not having a clue what was going on.

Hopefully I can help a little bit with questions.

As far as housing, I live downtown (West Loop, about 1 block from the Sears Tower) and love it. There are pros and cons to living in or out of Hyde Park. In Hyde Park, the pros are obviously a quick commute and cheaper housing. Some of the cons are that there isn't as much (though there's a good amount) to do there. Compared to Lincoln Park/Bucktown/Downtown, it's less, but compared to most college towns, there's plenty to do. Pros for out of Hyde Park, are nicer apts (although Regents is nice) and just feeling like you live in Chicago.

As far as classes, etc. There is a decent amount of class time, but you get used to it. I've always liked structured learning, but you can definitely do just fine if you never go to class (except lab). Of course, don't let the admin know I said that.

People are really chill about classes though, because of the P/F system. It really makes your life great.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to email me ([email protected]).

Congrats and hopefully I'll see you next year!
 

ads99

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
56
0
Boston, MA
Status
My husband and I are officially coming to Chicago!!!! I'm so excited. I can't even believe this is happening.
If anyone else is in Boston and has decided on Chicago, feel free to PM me. It would be fun to go for coffee and talk about moving plans.

My husband and I will both be attending med school together. We will move to Hyde Park on June 1st. My current research job lends itself to an extension project with a physician at UChicago so I'm going early to help him with that project. I'll be there all summer so, as you all arrive in Hyde Park, PM me. We'll hang out.

If Kevin from Yale who was at Pitt's second look is out there, PM me!
 

frycek

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
62
0
Chicago
Status
Yeah - thanks for posting the newsletter. I read (almost) every bit of it. If any of you are interested in the white coat ceremony speaker here's a good link: Abraham Vergese (I know, the first site google returned, not too orginal - but it's good, although a bit dated.) His work "My Own Country" looks very interesting - about working in New Jersey when the first AIDS patients started returning to town, and his own identity search as an Christian Ethiopian of Indian descent living in the US. I just ordered a copy of half.com (there are more, and very cheap, ones there.)
 

ads99

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
56
0
Boston, MA
Status
frycek said:
Yeah - thanks for posting the newsletter. I read (almost) every bit of it. If any of you are interested in the white coat ceremony speaker here's a good link: Abraham Vergese (I know, the first site google returned, not too orginal - but it's good, although a bit dated.) His work "My Own Country" looks very interesting - about working in New Jersey when the first AIDS patients started returning to town, and his own identity search as an Christian Ethiopian of Indian descent living in the US. I just ordered a copy of half.com (there are more, and very cheap, ones there.)
He also wrote The Tennis Partner which is a moving story about his work with a med student/resident who was a professional tennis player and cocaine addict. It follows Verghese's life after My Own Country. It's a wonderful book. My husband just devoured it over the weekend.
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
Has anyone been to any of the seconds looks or going to the one in May? What has been your general impression?
 

ejs064

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2002
23
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
VeggieGal said:
hey guys, does anyone know about deferring at uchicago. who should we talk to? is there a deadline to let them know? how willing are they to let people defer?

thanks!
i'm another pritzker MSI, but should be an MSII right now. translation: i deferred for a year to teach abroad. the administration had no problem with it, and actually were very supportive.

i had a decision to make between my state school and pritzker, but that decision was made much easier when my state school refused to defer my acceptance, despite the angry letter i wrote them. i've got no regrets about choosing pritzker, though.

one quick plug if anyone's still on the fence:

you can learn a lot about schools from numbers, match lists, research money, facilities, and other objective criteria. however, what will truly determine the quality of both your education and your life will be the people you spend the next four years of your life with. they'll affect you professionally and personally, as you will affect them. the pritzker admissions committee does an excellent job of creating a class with extraordinarily diverse cultural and personal backgrounds. during orientation nearly everyone i met had a story that trumped the previous one. i met air force fighter pilots, actresses, professional ballet dancers, professional cooks, lawyers, basque pirates, i-bankers, actuaries, social workers, nfl football players, DJs, JDs, drummers, missionaries, peace core volunteers, farmers, ranchers, marines, PhDs, MBAs, international squash competitors, nationally-ranked tennis players, yoga instructors, and even some biochemistry majors like myself, all in a class of just 104 students.

simply put, it's a great place with quality people and an outstanding educational experience, and it would be difficult to find a pritzker student that would disagree.