OFFICIAL: UC Davis Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure how much of a response this will get, but I'm getting so excited. I just got a place in Davis and Dr. Bera just sent out the info for 2nd look weekend. Is anyone for sure going there next year. I'll be there, ready to roll! Who's joining me?

Members don't see this ad.

PreMedAdAG said:
Well I'm not sure how much of a response this will get, but I'm getting so excited. I just got a place in Davis and Dr. Bera just sent out the info for 2nd look weekend. Is anyone for sure going there next year. I'll be there, ready to roll! Who's joining me?

Go Ags!

I am not sure if I'll be staying in Davis, but I do plan to come to the 2nd look.

Darn...you beat me to starting this thread. I'm so excited!!! Mind my asking how much your apt is going to cost a month? I've been looking on Craigslist and it looks like for a 1 bedroom it'll cost around 850.

Anyone know if the new med school building in Sac is gonna affect us?

Members don't see this ad :)
PreMedAdAG said:

Hey AG! I'll most likely be going to Davis come this fall. I will see everyone at second look weekend--I'm so excited!

wxl31 said:
Darn...you beat to starting this thread. I'm so excited!!! Mind my asking how much your apt is going to cost a month? I've been looking on Craigslist and it looks like for a 1 bedroom it'll cost around 850.

$850 for Davis? That seems to be a little on the expensive side. Where is this place?

I think that the new med school bldg. is set to open fall 2006--which is the earliest. Most recent construction projects on the UC Davis campus have run about 4-6 months late. So, I'd think the new building would be open in winter 2007?

Anyhow, congrats to all! UC Davis is definitely a cool school.

I'm pretty sure I'm comin to davis too. Nothing can keep me away from tahoe. I'm gonna start looking for good season passes right now.

hamburglar said:
Hey AG! I'll most likely be going to Davis come this fall. I will see everyone at second look weekend--I'm so excited!

When is the 2nd look? I just got an email from Dr. Bera saying that admissions staff would be coming to all of the UC campuses in April.

the other Dr. said:
When is the 2nd look? I just got an email from Dr. Bera saying that admissions staff would be coming to all of the UC campuses in April.

April 22nd and the 23th, I think.

BTW--I like your sig!

congrats to everyone here! I was wondering... how did you find out about the decision... phone, snail mail, e-mail? and how recently? does anyone know if they are still sending out acceptances?

thank you!

In addition to how you heard, I would like to ask the infamous "when did you interview?" and/or "how long did it take to hear" Thanks.

wxl31 said:
Darn...you beat me to starting this thread. I'm so excited!!! Mind my asking how much your apt is going to cost a month? I've been looking on Craigslist and it looks like for a 1 bedroom it'll cost around 850.

They broke ground for the new building already. I saw it with my own eyes, since I work only a block way from the site. Now only if Davis will take me...

biendesalud said:
In addition to how you heard, I would like to ask the infamous "when did you interview?" and/or "how long did it take to hear" Thanks.

I interviewed late in October and didn't hear back until the end of January. I didn't find out I had been accepted until I tried calling them to check on my status, and I ended up getting my package in the mail a few days later. Sometimes it seems to take them a while to get back, so hang in there! If it's been a while since you've interviewed maybe you could try calling them as well?
Good luck :luck:

I got much love for Davis. I hope to meet y'all there! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis was flippin sweet. I interviewed in september and didn't hear back until I hassled them non stop in mid january. The UC's like to leave you hanging.

Yay! This is so awesome!!

I'll be at 2nd look weekend and in terms of apartments... well here's the deal since I live in the area.

I found a place for 750 but it's like this amazing deal that I happened upon... normally NICE apartments in davis (1bed) are around 980 a month, friekin ridiculous! 850 is a steal!! Anyway, my place is in Aggie Village and it's a cottage, so I rent from the people that live behind me (they have a large house). It's almost like a guesthouse and it's tiny tiny tiny!

Anyway, I was notified by a phone call in October from one of my interviewers. I think it's different for everyone though.

For the person who was all about Tahoe, I'm SOOO down! We need a Ski/Snowboard bunch! I know you're down for some anatomy flashcards on the ski lift ... Just Kidding!

Anyone up for having lunch that day (Apr. 23)? Let me know and I'll organize. :D

Uegis said:
They broke ground for the new building already. I saw it with my own eyes, since I work only a block way from the site. Now only if Davis will take me...

When did you interview Uegis? Hopefully we'll be seeing you on second look weekend! :)

Sorry to keep flooding this thread, but I had a quick question. This one goes out to those of you who are currently in Davis or Sacramento (ie Uegis and AG): I am planning on switching phone carriers within the next few weeks. Right now, I have AT&T/Cingular and it pretty much rocks everywhere, but the bills are getting a little hefty. It looks like only T-Mobile and Verizon have plans that I can actually afford. I was hoping someone could tell me which of the two gets better reception in both Davis and Sacramento. This would help me out a lot--thanks! :D

hamburglar said:
Sorry to keep flooding this thread, but I had a quick question. This one goes out to those of you who are currently in Davis or Sacramento (ie Uegis and AG): I am planning on switching phone carriers within the next few weeks. Right now, I have AT&T/Cingular and it pretty much rocks everywhere, but the bills are getting a little hefty. It looks like only T-Mobile and Verizon have plans that I can actually afford. I was hoping someone could tell me which of the two gets better reception in both Davis and Sacramento. This would help me out a lot--thanks! :D

Hey hamburglar,
I have T-mobile and I love the company and its totally affordable, but there is one drawback. I'm not sure about the medical school, but on campus I got crappy reception. This is also true at the Med Center where I work. I can't get reception in any building, but once I'm outside everything is fine.

This is my .02 on the reception thing, if you're at school or at the hospital, you really don't need your cell phone, in fact, it shouldn't even really be on. :p

hamburglar said:
When did you interview Uegis? Hopefully we'll be seeing you on second look weekend! :)

I interviewed in November....and got put on hold. They should be re-reviewing my file soon since interviews are almost over. Congrats everyone for getting into UCD. I'm so jealous :D

And about the phone service, Cingular is pretty good in Sacramento/Davis, but around the Med Center, including the ACC and the Research Labs area, reception sucks. I think its like that for most carriers around the med center area. But for general use, at least until 2006 when the med campus is moved to Sac, you are so money with Cingular.

And for those apartment hunting, Davis is getting pretty expensive these days, even though vacancy rates rose in the past year. I live in Davis and commute to Sac because I like Davis a lot. If you guys want to check out Renaissance Park, its 850 for a one room. It's in South Davis, a bit far from the med campus, but they allow pets, so if that is a consideration, its a pretty good deal. Close by a plaza with supermarket and food. For other good deals close to campus (Central Davis), look at Pinon apartments (less than a mile away from Tupper), Heritage House, Sycamore, and if you are desparate, Wake Forest. I use to live in Pinon and walked to the main campus every day, though it did take 15-20 minutes. Its a nice walk though. And its a block away from the University Mall, which has a Starbucks for all your caffeine needs, and the Grad, popular bar for undergrads.

Hahaha, I don't feel like I belong in this thread so I'm going to refrain from posting on here. If you have questions about Davis/Sac, PM me. I've been in the area for 7 years.

hi guys! check this website out...

http://cim.ucdavis.edu/

it's kinda like the resource page for ucd med students. there used to be a handbook link on that site, but i don't know what happened to it. it talked about a bunch of things from housing to what books we need to relationships.

for those who live in davis already, when do you think we should look for housing? classes don't start til mid sept and i'd like to save as much $ as possible by not renting early, but then again, i dont want a crappy place.

So no schedule changes from last year?

Do you guys know if they're implementing the new curriculum this coming year? I got the impression that entering class of 2005 will be the pioneers (or guinea pigs) for the new curriculum.

wxl31 said:
for those who live in davis already, when do you think we should look for housing? classes don't start til mid sept and i'd like to save as much $ as possible by not renting early, but then again, i dont want a crappy place.

Okay okay, even though I said I will refrain from posting in my last post, I will answer wxl's question cuz she kicks a ss.

You should start looking NOW. Generally, people start signing leases in March/April. Don't worry about not wanting to rent yet. MOST leases start in September and run until August of the next year. So go look for an apartment, sign a lease and place a deposit. I think certain popular complexes are filled up already. People camp out in line to get desirable apartments. I think several places in North Davis like Temescal and Pepperwood are still open. North Davis is nice too, right near Marketplace with bunch of cool stores. Good luck apartment hunting.

Do you guys from the area know if there are any options for university housing (living near the undergraduates or near the main part of campus) or are we pretty much on our own when it comes to finding a place? I'm getting the impression that we just have to go around and find apartments around the area that aren't affiliated with the school.

I really don't want to live by myself because it's lonely and boring, so I want to see if anyone's interested in living as a 3 or 4 person group (or better yet even more) in a house. Would this be hard to pull off and do you think other students would be interested?

Well...I dont know about a house. It would be nice, but who'll do all of the yardwork! Anyway, I'm thinking about spending the Sunday after 2nd look or maybe the evening of 2nd look apartment hunting. Who's interested in looking with me?

Do you guys think it'll be difficult to find roomies? I know we'll meet ppl at 2nd look but a lot can happen from then onward.

Stanford_Playah said:
Do you guys from the area know if there are any options for university housing (living near the undergraduates or near the main part of campus) or are we pretty much on our own when it comes to finding a place? I'm getting the impression that we just have to go around and find apartments around the area that aren't affiliated with the school.

I really don't want to live by myself because it's lonely and boring, so I want to see if anyone's interested in living as a 3 or 4 person group (or better yet even more) in a house. Would this be hard to pull off and do you think other students would be interested?

I'm pretty sure second look is a good time to meet people to live with. I'm all about finding people to share a big a$$ place with and a yard would be totally sweet. I've always wanted to use the sit down lawn mower my gramps gave me. I wonder what the regulations for having farm animals are in Davis proper. Maybe I'll get a llama.

Hey guys,

Congrats on your acceptances! If I can help you out with anything, just ask or PM me. I have finals coming up so I may be a bit sporadic in reading SDN.

As for housing, if you want to live alone in a nice place I would start looking now. The nicer complexes make people sign leases now for fall, so they will start showing stuff in the next couple of weeks. To give you a point of reference, I pay a little over $700/mo for a studio in a good location in North Davis. It;s about a 5 min drive to campus, on the bus lines, well-maintained.

As for finding roommates, you can meet people at 2nd look, or once they get the message board up for your class start posting. A lot of people in my class got accepted to Davis later in the cycle, so I am sure there will be people looking this summer if the same patterns hold true this year.

In terms of cell phones I have Verizon and am happy with it overall. The reception is great in Davis, except ironically in my apartment, which sux, so check that out when you are looking at places if you plan to just have a cell phone. I worked in Sac last year and the reception was fine. It's okay at the med center, not fabulous, but when I had AT&T I had no reception there at all.

Hope that helps :)

Hey guys,

Do y'all think we'll get together the night of 2nd look to go out drinking. We did this at Vandy's 2nd look with some of the med students and it was a lot of fun. I ask b/c my bf doesn't drink and he's coming with me. We were going to crash at a friend's place in Elk Grove but I can't leave him there all by himself if I go out (she's my friend, not his). Reluctant to get that hotel room, especially since Elk Grove is 15min from Sac...

I'm definitely up for going out that night...
as for housing, i'm definitely looking for roommates...but i'm still unsure as to whether or not i'm going to davis =P

Lucky for you guys you get a brand new med school for your second year. Just today I watched out my window at work at the med center while they felled all the beautiful pine trees on the property. I guess med schools can't coexist with foliage.
(mostly I'm just bitter. UCD rejected me and now my formerly nice view of pines blowing in the wind has been beaten down for a school that rejected me. Cruel cruel world. =)
Enjoy the new building. Should be nice when it's finished. Just take a moment to remember the trees and the squirrels while you're in anatomy!

Brava, I was thinking the same thing. I walk down that path everyday from the research buildings and see squirrels running from one side of the cement path to the other. Are you over at the Cancer Center or the clinical lab? Anyhow, the construction makes me take a detour now, wasting valuable minutes, haha. Should be awesome though. So much construction going on around here, including the new research building on Stockton and the Surgery Pavilion, whole place looks messy. But once its done, UCD SOM and the Medical Center would be top-notch facililities-wise.

Uegis said:
Brava, I was thinking the same thing. I walk down that path everyday from the research buildings and see squirrels running from one side of the cement path to the other. Are you over at the Cancer Center or the clinical lab? Anyhow, the construction makes me take a detour now, wasting valuable minutes, haha. Should be awesome though. So much construction going on around here, including the new research building on Stockton and the Surgery Pavilion, whole place looks messy. But once its done, UCD SOM and the Medical Center would be top-notch facililities-wise.

I'm in the clinical lab building, third floor so I guess I'll get to enjoy watching the building go up...just wasn't so happy about the trees going down! =) yeah, this whole place is a mess. Should be incredible when it's finished!
Where do you work, Uegis?

kiwie07 said:
I'm definitely up for going out that night...
as for housing, i'm definitely looking for roommates...but i'm still unsure as to whether or not i'm going to davis =P

i'm looking for a roomie, although i'm in your situation. i'll know hopefully by 2nd look though once i get a financial aid package from vandy. gut is leaning toward davis for sure. i'm actually going to look for housing after saturday's tour of clinics.

hey guys,

congrats on getting in! hope to see ya'll next year.

also, fyi, we (Class of 2008) just set up a message board for you guys. It was pretty helpful for finding housing and answering questions last year--hope you guys will find it helpful too.

http://cim.ucdavis.edu/classpages/2009/

wxl31 said:
i'm looking for a roomie, although i'm in your situation. i'll know hopefully by 2nd look though once i get a financial aid package from vandy. gut is leaning toward davis for sure. i'm actually going to look for housing after saturday's tour of clinics.

yea, i think i'll know more for sure after second look...but after just receiving my finaid packet from somewhere else, i'm leaning towards davis. :)

WuzUpDoc - thanks for the link! :p

i recently met an internist at one of san francisco's hospitals. he had gone to uci and done his residency at ucsf. anyway, he was delighted that i'm going to ucd b/c he thinks they make the best doctors. he's worked with students from all over during residency and then later in his career and he says that ucd students are the most sensible and just great ppl to work with.

my favorite line was "the ivory tower isn't so great..."

of course this is all personal opinion and you could find tons of ppl who say uc-insert something here is way better, but i thought i'd stroke our egos today.

Hello everyone. Seems like this thread died awhile back ago. How about we get to know eachother?

domukin said:
Hello everyone. Seems like this thread died awhile back ago. How about we get to know eachother?

Sounds good! Hi everyone, I'll be meeting y'all in a few months! I just now read all these posts and I feel like I need to find a place to live immediately. Previously I was so excited about getting out of the high-priced LA area (and I live the the Valley!!) but Davis doesn't sound much cheaper! Oh well. Does anyone live in Sacto instead? Or is Davis just way better? Any way to bike from Davis to the med center?

hi guys, i got a place at the saratoga west apts. it's a tad far out there (maybe 3 miles?) but it's so beautiful!

1295 for 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 walk-in closets, and washer and dryer in unit.

also, i think it's good this thread died. we probably have funner things to do than check sdn constantly. =P

wxl31 said:
hi guys, i got a place at the saratoga west apts. it's a tad far out there (maybe 3 miles?) but it's so beautiful!

1295 for 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 walk-in closets, and washer and dryer in unit.

also, i think it's good this thread died. we probably have funner things to do than check sdn constantly. =P

Oh, I beg to differ.

vibemstr - i think its probably better to stay in davis, at least for the first year (supposedly 2nd will be in Sac), i hear traffic on the I80 gets bad. I really dont think you can bike on that freeway either :eek: , but davis seems like a very bike friendly town.

domukin said:
Oh, I beg to differ.

vibemstr - i think its probably better to stay in davis, at least for the first year (supposedly 2nd will be in Sac), i hear traffic on the I80 gets bad. I really dont think you can bike on that freeway either :eek: , but davis seems like a very bike friendly town.

Actually, you can bike from Sac to Davis along the freeway. There's a bike path along the side of the causeway. I do not know where you pick it up, but I am sure if you called a local bike shop they could tell you. There are commuters who do it daily, though I dunno of any med students who do.

Hi all, I'm another member of the UCD Med class of '09. I know it's rather late in the thread, but if anyone is still reading, I'm living in Davis right now and I went here for undergrad too. If any of you have questions about housing, travel, or life here, I would be more than happy to answer them. Hope you're all having a good summer!

Uegis said:
If you guys want to check out Renaissance Park, its 850 for a one room. It's in South Davis, a bit far from the med campus, but they allow pets, so if that is a consideration, its a pretty good deal.

Not to step on your toes, but I gotta say, having spent a year at Renaissance Park, I would not recommend it. I had a lot of problems with the management (they have ridiculously high turnover, and they're very difficult to reach and a bit shady, I think), and the buildings are old and starting to have problems. They tend to shut off the water a lot, many times without warning. I also think it's pretty overpriced. . .you can do better these days, especially with the high vacancy rates right now.