Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But I think you'll find an above average number of students that are from NJ and NY there, so there is probably an advantage.

Someone PM'd me news that they were no longer going to offer everyone IS tuition, and that they could even collect the difference from students that would otherwise have been OOS. Can't really imagine this happening, for real - but has anyone heard of it?

Members don't see this ad.

But I think you'll find an above average number of students that are from NJ and NY there, so there is probably an advantage.

Someone PM'd me news that they were no longer going to offer everyone IS tuition, and that they could even collect the difference from students that would otherwise have been OOS. Can't really imagine this happening, for real - but has anyone heard of it?

only rumors on SDN... nothing even remotely concrete.

only rumors on SDN... nothing even remotely concrete.

So, here is what this person said to me, pared down:

"Had a meeting at SOM and a phone conversation with Newark this morning. In state tuition for out of state residents is definitely going away, the only question is how; there will be almost 100 students involved, and they are expecting the news will not be well received.

UMDNJ policy is long, convoluted, and hard to understand, and says the same thing. The policy is mandated by the state agency that oversees all public colleges. It says that they have to go back and recover back tuition from all current students, but I don't think they'd do that. You can find the policy on the website under Central Administration. The Rutgers policy is in more plain English:

http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/gsapp/pg18536.html"

I'm don't want to perpetuate rumors, so correct this person, if you can. Please!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, here is what this person said to me, pared down:

“Had a meeting at SOM and a phone conversation with Newark this morning. In state tuition for out of state residents is definitely going away, the only question is how; there will be almost 100 students involved, and they are expecting the news will not be well received.

UMDNJ policy is long, convoluted, and hard to understand, and says the same thing. The policy is mandated by the state agency that oversees all public colleges. It says that they have to go back and recover back tuition from all current students, but I don’t think they’d do that. You can find the policy on the website under Central Administration. The Rutgers policy is in more plain English:

http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/gsapp/pg18536.html”

I'm don't want to perpetuate rumors, so correct me/this person, if you can. Please!

That is concerning... :(

I just sent e-mails to the admissions and financial aid offices. Hopefully I can get some sort of official reply...

I hope I'm not going to be paying OOS tuition this year, wasn't planning on that.

I bet it was just a bad rumor. Don't you think they'd have to have told us by now??? :confused: In any case, do you think they'll fess up to it if they are planning to make the change? I just wonder about all of it... Then again, even OOS tuition at UMDNJ isn't SO bad... (Not like MSU, for example..ah-hem...)

Does anybody know the ratio of instate vs out of state students? Im trying to decide whether to apply, I am a NY resident.

it doesn't matter if u r OOS b/c everyone gets IS tuition if u change 2 a NJ driver's license (leave ur car in ur parent's name if u can) and show proof of NJ residence (which u'll have being a student here, unless u can beam down from a mothership everyday).

the stats show that we have almost exclusively in-state students but look beyond the numbers b/c they r calc AFTER the OOS students change their status 2 NJ residency (which as i mentioned above is easy 2 get) so its not really true that we only let in mostly NJ students (the stats just look that way)

and if they change the tuition 4 OSS resident, i doubt the school would just 'spring' it on everyone w/o a warning. i haven't heard about this tuition change and i don't c how they'd go back and collect "back tuition"...though i would ask finaid just in case

and if they change the tuition 4 OSS resident, i doubt the school would just 'spring' it on everyone w/o a warning. i haven't heard about this tuition change and i don't c how they'd go back and collect "back tuition"...though i would ask finaid just in case

Yeah, this stuff may be in the policy, but I agree - it seems like it would be pretty tough to make this happen after the fact. Can't imagine how it would work, and it certainly wouldn't happen without a good amount of warning time.

Yeah, this stuff may be in the policy, but I agree - it seems like it would be pretty tough to make this happen after the fact. Can't imagine how it would work, and it certainly wouldn't happen without a good amount of warning time.

I just got a call from Paula Watkins personally assuring me that "yes we will get in state tuition this year and moving forward for the next 4 years as a class".

All we have to do is complete the process of shifting our residency (driver's license, housing, etc.)

Until they have records of that, they will send a pre-bill billing us as OOS students (sometime in July). Then, once we get documentation of our IS residency to Fin-Aid, they'll re-bill us as IS.

I just got a call from Paula Watkins personally assuring me that "yes we will get in state tuition this year and moving forward for the next 4 years as a class".

All we have to do is complete the process of shifting our residency (driver's license, housing, etc.)

Until they have records of that, they will send a pre-bill billing us as OOS students (sometime in July). Then, once we get documentation of our IS residency to Fin-Aid, they'll re-bill us as IS.

Not surprised. That's a relief, though. I wish people wouldn't send me weird information. :(

Hello,

Please see the pre-osteopathic board for news about the new PBL group for the class of 2011. I can't duplicate the post here, but realized just after I posted that this is a better place for the news.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=415025

All the best,
Rana
(PBL Curriculum Representative, Class of 2010)

Hi Everyone!

I just got accepted from the "acceptable but not accepted at this time" category--I have to call back tomorrow to let Paula Watkins know if I am definitely attending, but I am almost positive I am...Does anyone know where to find the latest match results for the last graduating class? I can't seem to find any match results for SOM. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I just got accepted from the "acceptable but not accepted at this time" category--I have to call back tomorrow to let Paula Watkins know if I am definitely attending, but I am almost positive I am...Does anyone know where to find the latest match results for the last graduating class? I can't seem to find any match results for SOM. Thanks!

I have them going back through '04.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them.

-Joe

Hey Depakote,
One more question--I noticed that in the 2007 list (not sure about the others) there were only 77 people and I know the class size is around 100. Any idea why the whole class isn't on the list? Thanks for the info!

Hey Depakote,
One more question--I noticed that in the 2007 list (not sure about the others) there were only 77 people and I know the class size is around 100. Any idea why the whole class isn't on the list? Thanks for the info!

some ppl in this year's class didn't match at 1st and had 2 scramble 4 spots (i know some of them and they eventually found spots though i dunno if everyone did). but i dunno if its the rest of the class that's missing from the list or not though who r in this group. use the match lists w/ care cuz they're just the 'almost final' results. in addition 2 ppl who don't match on 'match day' also a couple of yrs ago, someone matched 2 harvard but chose not 2 go and went somewhere else (he found out about harvard's offer b4 the match results came out; u rn't supposed 2 proposition students b4 match day but it does go on and this person turned harvard down so this wouldn't show up on the match list cuz the school wouldn't know about it).

sorry depakote, i should've taken out the contact info but thx 4 doing it!

Hi Everybody,

I’m looking for a roommate in a 3 bedroom in Timber Ridge. It’s about a five minute drive to school. It’s a 2 story townhouse with a full size washer and dryer and all appliances included. The neighborhood is very safe. You’d be sharing the place with 2 other medical students (one male, one female). We have high speed wireless internet.

Your rent would be $350 or $370 a month plus utilities (depending on which bedroom you want).

Here’s a link to the floorplan at Timber Ridge:

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f...oorplan.jhtml?cPointer=&pid=389615&fid=440324

Email me if you have any questions or want to see the place:
[email protected]

Thanks!

some ppl in this year's class didn't match at 1st and had 2 scramble 4 spots (i know some of them and they eventually found spots though i dunno if everyone did). but i dunno if its the rest of the class that's missing from the list or not though who r in this group. use the match lists w/ care cuz they're just the 'almost final' results. in addition 2 ppl who don't match on 'match day' also a couple of yrs ago, someone matched 2 harvard but chose not 2 go and went somewhere else (he found out about harvard's offer b4 the match results came out; u rn't supposed 2 proposition students b4 match day but it does go on and this person turned harvard down so this wouldn't show up on the match list cuz the school wouldn't know about it).

sorry depakote, i should've taken out the contact info but thx 4 doing it!

I decided that 2007 list can't possibly be complete. Nearly 20 people didn't match??? That just seems impossible. Plus, notice there are NO surgical matches listed - also pretty hard to believe. Every year there has almost always been a handful of surgery matches. That's why I feel pretty sure it's incomplete as is. But it does give some idea, which is nice. It is great to have these - thanks again, alchemist!! (BTW, are you in PBL?)

Hi I everyone I will be joining you guys this year. I am looking for a place that is close to campus does anyone have any recommendation. Im from New york and will be taking a drive down there to look for a place.

Hi I everyone I will be joining you guys this year. I am looking for a place that is close to campus does anyone have any recommendation. Im from New york and will be taking a drive down there to look for a place.

I'd check out Echelon Glenn, Timber Ridge or The Landing... they're all good and close to campus.

EDIT: and I believe there's a roommate discussion thread if you join the facebook group (if you're interested)

I'd check out Echelon Glenn, Timber Ridge or The Landing... they're all good and close to campus.

EDIT: and I believe there's a roommate discussion thread if you join the facebook group (if you're interested)

Dep, do you have a deadline for your waitlist acceptances, or are you holding out 'til classes start somewhere?

When is moving day? I move in Monday. Ortho, have you decided what you are going to do? How are you doing? I know that this must be a tough time for you, you are in my thoughts.

When is moving day? I move in Monday. Ortho, have you decided what you are going to do? How are you doing? I know that this must be a tough time for you, you are in my thoughts.

No - I can't think any more. Seriously. Grief makes it so hard to focus on anything - it's weird - I don't recommend it to anyone. Can't imagine being able to concentrate on the curriculum coming up, though I know it won't be like this forever. Anyway tomorrow I have a surgical procedure scheduled (when it rains it pours) so I am hoping while under general anesthesia the answer will come to me... Or something. At least I will get a little of this: :sleep: Which might help me think. I am leaning toward MSU after a year of deferring & moving instate - that will eliminate the huge cost AND give me time to recover.

Much as I felt at home w/UMDNJ, it now is forever the place I was when this awful thing happened to my mother that ended up killing her. Not the school's fault by any stretch, but it's the association - thinking about going back only brings back the last phone call with her, and that feeling of panic in the hotel while I waited for time to pass to be able to get to the airport to get home...

Good luck Dep - will you definitely go to one of the waitlist schools if you get in?

I decided that 2007 list can't possibly be complete. Nearly 20 people didn't match??? That just seems impossible. Plus, notice there are NO surgical matches listed - also pretty hard to believe. Every year there has almost always been a handful of surgery matches. That's why I feel pretty sure it's incomplete as is. But it does give some idea, which is nice. It is great to have these - thanks again, alchemist!! (BTW, are you in PBL?)

actually i dunno how many ppl didn't match. i only know that one reason the list is incomplete is that some of those missing didn't match by the time the list was put 2gether. no, was gonna apply but can't do PBL since i personally know the director (his daughter is my friend since HS) and at the time, one of our ex-deans was being investigated 4 several things, one of which had 2 do w/ nepotism and the admissions process so his daughter asked me not 2 apply cuz it might look like him showing me favoritism at a tenuous time. plus it worked out better cuz i don't like 2 go 2 class and PBL is mandatory and this yr's class was full of early birds (mostly) and i never would've made those early classes. and also, the PBL director and i know each other's personal biz's so it prob could've gotten sticky or weird. nah, i'm ok w/ the lecture class cuz i almost never went 2 class but still got 2 study on my own somewhat PBL-style (w/o all the case stuff). PBL's great but u really got 2 b a motivated person 2 fill in some of the gaps. like they learned a whole lot less micro (which i dunno, maybe they do in 2nd yr?) and its a big thing on boards so unless they get it next yr, they'll have 2 learn/memorize all those bugs they didn't c this yr on their own...and i'm lazy so some spoonfeeding is ok 4 me. same w/ anatomy. orig they started out in our anat class but then they decided the PBL students didn't have 2 take it or come 2 lab as much as we did. but PBL (in terms of the the ppl i know) seems 2 always have super motivated students so like i said, what they don't get, they spend the time 2 learn on their own cuz that's their personalities 2 begin w/ and they usu do VERY well on boards.

sorry 2 hear about ur mom k.

I'm going to be withdrawing my acceptance... Sorry Guys. It was nice meeting all of you.

I have an apartment and roommate (male) set up at Echelon Glen. PM me if you're interested in taking my place.

Thanks.

EDIT: It sounds like my roomie found someone to take my place. Thanks to everyone that helped out.

sorry 2 hear about ur mom k.

Thanks - it's tougher than I ever imagined it would be.

I'm going to be withdrawing my acceptance... Sorry Guys. It was nice meeting all of you.
Thanks.

Aww man! I had a feeling you'd be doing this!! Good luck in OH! :luck: Sure is a long way from your "Finest bagels & muffins in the land" thread, hasn't it?! You'll be missed!

Hey guys,

Welcome to SOM. I'm a 3rd year whose housing situation just recently changed, and I'm looking for a roommate. PM me if you're still looking for a roommate.

Thanks

Congrats! on matriculation and goodluck with your studies.

I am starting GSBS program at stratford campus. I will be taking a class with medical students which requires me to be there at the end of July but other students would not be in till 09/03/07. I am looking for a place to live within a mile range. If anybody wants a room mate, plz PM me and we will talk more about it.

Thanks.

hey guys! im new on this site! i just got into UMDNJ-SOM last week and am a little late in getting an apartment and such. i'm looking for a female roommate to share an apartment with. if you're interested or know anyone who needs a roommate..please PM me asap...thanks :)

I am still looking for housing and roommate to share the cost of living . I am from California and will be in New Jersey next week before the white coat ceremony. Anyone interested or know anyone still looking for roomate please PM me . Thank you!

You guys should be lighting this forum up with White Coat Ceremony right around the corner. Lets see some enthusiasm!

What do people wear during the White Coat Ceremony? Can it be casual or have to be very formal? thanks

I think last year most men wore nice pants and button-down shirts with ties. Women wore summer dresses or dress shirts and pants. Some people dressed up more, some less.

Hey guys, welcome to SOM. My name is Josh, a third year along with PublicEnemy, Nate, and others whose SDN names I definitely forgot. I hope you're all geared up for your professional lives to begin, and I wish you the best of luck. Also, since I don't know if you have email access yet, I wanted to advertise a few items. I'm doing the North Jersey track for rotations and thus moving soon, so I'm selling:

1. Queen size bed from Sleepy's - two years old, nothing wrong with it, no marks. Includes mattress, boxspring, frame.
2. Ikea dresser - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10062592
Like new, but has a few quirks to it.
3. Nightstand - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10062592
They changed this model since I bought it, mine doesn't have the extra shelf on top, but is otherwise the same.

Any interest, just PM me. Once again, I wish you the best of luck, and maybe I'll meet some of you at Stone Grille on Tuesday. You'll find out about that this weekend.

--Josh

Hey everyone!

Does anyone have an extra room in the Stratford area for a 4th year from UNECOM who will be completing an ortho externship at Kennedy Hospital (8/27-9/21)?

Please email [email protected] or call 732-207-9749 with any info.

Thanks and good luck!

Can the guy who is doing the physio review write any BIGGER?????

u must be talking about 3rd yr daesoon? we saw his familiar "squares" and outlines on ur board...so i'm guessing the person wasn't a 2nd yr but him