Official: UMichigan Class of 2007 Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by crazyA, Dec 8, 2002.

1. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member

So...I've been thinking lately. I do that sometimes. Seems to me, this thread's been just waiting to happen. There's a ton of people with 'Michigan Class of 2007' already in their signatures, and even more people who have been lucky enough to be accepted.

So...maybe it's about time everyone who's already made their decision to attend Michigan start trying to convince everyone else why to come. Or we could start discouraging everyone else, to get people like Woots off the waitlist. Whatever you want.

So who wants to go first?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    This is the best idea I've ever seen posted on a SDN thread. :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(If I remember correctly - they review every file every time the committee meets? So should I get an ulcer every time I check my inbox, or just drink heavily 'till April-May? ;) )

4. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess I'm one of those people with the "UMich 2007" signature. I'm not exactly sure how to persuade or dissuade someone from Michigan. Personally, I made my decision based on a few factors (in no particular order):
    1) Quality of education (it is a top tier medical school)
    2) Location (lots of my family lives in the area; I also wanted to be a in a college town)
    3) Quality of Facilities (it is a relatively new and clean facility)
    4) Gut feeling (small things like how nice their admissions letter is and how students from UMich called me two or three times asking me if I had any questions)

Cons for me:

COLD WEATHER! (I've been in Atlanta for 13 years)

I can give better explanations, but finals are this week. I'm sure someone will disagree with every one of my reasons for going there.

5. mws99

mws99 Senior Member

From doing a search from last year, it looks like sdners started being pulled off the waitlist in April. So, a lot of waiting for both of us.

:(

6. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member

I feel like a loser for having to bump up my own thread, but anyway...

So what do people know about the new curriculum? (I know there was a thread on this a while ago, but it ended pretty abruptly.) I saw that slideshow presentation about it on the UM website, but it doesn't make anything really explicit. I know there will be a thesis requirement, but what else? Somebody else on the site said that the first two years are going to be pass/fail, and somebody else said that Michigan was going to adopt a UPenn-style curriculum with 2&1/2 year rotations? Does anybody else know about this, or is it just my imagination?

7. mws99

mws99 Senior Member

I was under the impression that the third year began right after the second ended, instead of having a summer break after second year you will now start rotations.

8. kreno

kreno Candy Man

More about this off the wait list dilly. 'cuz I'm on their waitlist. You say in april a lot of SDNers started getting pulled off? Anything in particular you can do short of sending a letter of intent which can help your standing on the waitlist? GR!

9. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    yep on the thesis, yep on the 2.5yr (start in the summer like mws said) and yep on the pass/fail for years 1 & 2.

i'm 92% sure i'll be there in the fall, so i can't in all validity say i'm umich 07 just yet. letcha know in april. :) CONGRATS to all w/acceptances... and waitlist people, at my interview about 8/15 of the current med students having lunch w/us were pulled from the list in the spring.

10. merlin17

merlin17 Senior Member

Hi everyone,

So I'm about 90% sure I'm going to Michigan as well...at least I'm really excited about the school. The only thing holding me back is the prospect of actually moving to Michigan. I'm from the east coast and I was sorta hoping to stay a little bit closer to home. That said, I loved it when I visited and know that if I end up there it will be a great experience. Everyone seemed so friendly there. The best person I met there was my cab driver. I think he was more excited that I was interviewing at Umich than I was! He took me on a driving tour of the campus, pointing out everything he thought I had to see. He also told me that if I moved to Michigan I would love it so much that I would never leave =)

Anyway, congrats to everyone with acceptances! As for their waitlist, I remember them making a huge point about how many people in each class got in off the waitlist. They also said to definitely send them a letter of intent if you find yourself on their waitlist in the spring and it is your first choice.

Good luck!

11. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

Another likely '07 here:D ...but gotta wait to see the full $ituation. Only possible downside for me was that it is in Michigan, but everyone I've talked to seems to love Ann Arbor.

I was under the impression that a major part of the new curriculum will be moving to a "systems based" model. Some information on it is here http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/cr2003/

12. merlin17

merlin17 Senior Member

Another quick note...

I specifically asked one of my interviewers about the curriculum changes. He wasn't particularly excited about them, but he said that there would definitely be a move towards adding some more small group learning and away from such a strict traditional curriculum.

I also asked him about the thesis since I had just finished up my two year, 100+ page undergrad thesis and really wasn't up for doing something like that again anytime soon. He assured me that when they said thesis it was something much less daunting than what that word meant in college, well at least my college =) So for those of us that went to a school where the senior thesis was the only topic of conversation from junior spring on, I don't think UMich is trying to add something like that. Basically my interviewer said that there is so much stuff to learn in medical school that they couldn't possibly add too intensive a project into the mix.

Don't know if that helps, but figured I would add it =)

13. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine

Medical Student
    You all suck. ;)

Seriously, did no one who interviewed at Michigan get in somewhere they'd rather go? East coast, west coast - anything? Now that I've been to some other places, I'm not sure UMich is my top choice anymore, but that's probably just sour grapes :p , and I'll be right back with ya if I get off the waitlist. :)

14. stapler187

stapler187 Member

how long did it take you guys to get a response after the interiview?
    do you know how often the committee meets?
    thanks a lot.

15. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member

I just interviewed at UMich on last Friday, 12/6, and I got an email this morning saying I was accepted! Quick turn around time!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. RachelMann

RachelMann Junior Member

Things I disliked about Umich

1.The ****ing cold weather
    2. location: no big city unless you have a car and can get to Detroit
    3.$$$$ price (esp. since I am in-state for the UC's)

But seeing as it is the only school I have been accepted to I am focusing on all the really cool aspects of it...such as the sheer niceness of the staff and students, the amazing medical center and of course....cute midwestern boyz....

Maybe i will see yall there in the fall
    :D
    Rae

18. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    woots, there is only one other school i'd rather go to (after i got into umich, i withdrew from all other schools except one) and i won't hear from them till april-ish. but if they let me in - my spot is all yours when (not if, when!) you get off the waitlist. :) good luck!

19. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I was accepted to Michigan MD and there's a possibility I could take them up on the offer. There's a number of issues I have with them though:

1) Cost of housing in Ann Arbor is pretty high. If I come MSTP, it would be difficult/impossible to own anything there, and most students don't bother owning. This is partially because of #2.
    2) Parking is a huge issue, and you can just forget about driving in and parking anywhere reasonably close to the med school from what I understand.
    3) Price of the med school. Guess I'll have to see what kind of financial aid I'll get...
    4) As for MSTP, they make you TA. I don't particularly want to TA, but they give you an out by letting you TA medical school classes and not making you TA unergraduate labs.

No doubt their cirriculum is undergoing changes, but they are very respectable in that area and I doubt they are going to shoot it all to heck.

Hopefully I'll get in MSTP anyways. They're high on my list. If I don't get any more love from MSTP programs, I could be coming straight MD... I won't know about their MSTP program until March. Apparently they let the stellar candidates know ASAP, reject the crappy ones, and hold off on everyone else till March. I'm in that gray middle catagory. In any case, jot was accepted, and hopefully that spot will open up for me soon ;)

PS: I know what you mean about their admissions being together mystic_b. I got an acceptance e-mail the Saturday afternoon after I interviewed!

20. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

ya umich. i too may very well end up there.

here's why i really liked it:

(1) i kind of like the idea of quizzes every week since i tend to procrastinate.
    (2) ann arbor seems like a great town for young people
    (3) umich has less "ivy league inbreeding" than other top schools (more diversity in ugrad institutions).
    (4) everyone there seemed really nice
    (5) they have an amazing school of public health

21. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You've mentioned some good things that I forgot:

1) Detroit isn't that far away. An hour drive is pretty close to a city for a college town. Close enough that you get the luxuries of a city on an occassion, but at the same time you are in a collegitate atmosphere.
    2) Weekly quizzes...........personally I would be the bum studying the week before a test if they gave tests every 6 weeks.
    3) I assume Michigan will follow other med schools in their "thesis." Most people don't make it intimidating.
    4) Property is expensive. I don't know where you went to undergrad, but at most large universities, you have a parking problem. Michigan isn't unique in that. Property in Atlanta is too expensive for me to buy a house, but I always assumed property close to universites was expensive also like in Ann Arbor.

Back to biochem........

22. Ligament

Ligament Interventional Pain Management
    Physician Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Just a comment here,

As a native Michigander, I find it scary that some of you list close proximity to Detroit as a positive for U. Mich. Detroit is a hell hole! The nastiest city in the country, with the exception of maybe Gary, Indiana. If you live in Ann Arbor, there is really no reason to visit Detroit unless you want to be mugged or shot.

There is one exception that I can think of regarding Detroit: it is the home of Techno music. If you are into techno, it is nice to be *near* Detroit. The club scene sucks, though!

Ann Arbor, by the way, is a wonderful city. I went to undergrad at UofM and lived in Ann Arbor for seven years. Great place.

regards!

23. kreno

kreno Candy Man

Yeah! I'm from Michigan too - and totally, DETROIT BLOWS!

24. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I went to the University of Delaware, a school of about 14,000 students. Graduate/Professional students get parking permits that enable them to park about anywhere on campus. There are a bunch of medical schools that offer reasonable parking options to students (Duke and URochester of the places I've been, and I'm sure there's many more).

Housing prices are very reasonable at Delaware and I only applied to medical schools that I thought would have reasonable costs of living. The vast majority of the schools I applied to have condos or houses under 80,000 within biking distance of the school. As far as I have seen, Michigan does not have that. This surprised me because I assumed Ann Arbor, being near no major cities, would not have a problem in that department. Just as one of many easy contrasts, Baylor, which is in Houston, the 4th largest city in the country, has housing options very close to campus for very affordable prices (some of the students bought condos for about 60k).

I'm not saying Michigan is not a good place for me, since every school has its ups and downs (except for my first choice hehe). I just don't like the attitude some people have about "Well every school has that problem" or "Well if you don't like it don't come here" and I apologize if I'm taking out my dislike of that on you :)

25. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member

Wow, congrats! that's awesome!:clap:
    So does it mean that if one doesn't get accepted or waitlisted within a few days after the interview, he would probably get rejected :confused:
    I am just nervous and curious about the whole UMich process because it's definitely one of my top choices, and I am going to be interviewed there soon (my first interview this round, too! shivers~~)

26. Floyd77803

Floyd77803 Member

I don't really know that much about the curriculum, but I can give you a few pointers about the area.

1. Ann Arbor is a great college town, cool people, cool things to do. Also, as far as housing goes, it can be quite expensive. I'd suggest looking for some roomies and renting a house or an apartment.

2. I grew up about 5 minutes from Detroit and I can tell you that there are some good and bad areas. There is a major revitalization going on downtown with the new comerica park and ford field. Greektown is also a really cool place. That being said, Detroit isn't anything special.

3. The weather isn't really that bad here. It's mid-december right now and it only just began to get really cold here. Figure about 4 to 5 months of snow (Nov-March) then you've got a marginal spring and a perfect summer. Ofcourse, i've lived here my whole life so I suppose it could take a little getting used to.

U of M is one of the best state universities in the nation. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to attend it.

27. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member

They told us at the interview that they would try to make sure every knew our status (accepted, waitlisted, rejected) by the end of Dec. I don't know how fast they are in sending out waitlists/rejections (by snail mail, I assume). And they kept telling us how actice their waitlist is, so it's not a horrible thing if you get put on that list. Good luck, it's a relaxed interview process there.

28. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member

Thanks, mystic_b!!

29. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

Where are all the michiganders!!!
    Come on folks! let's send in the $100 deposit into Phi Rho housing and have a cook make all our meals for us!!! Plus it'll be cool to be in a dorm like community again! PM me for more info!

Why is Michigan awesome??? b/c it's Michigan! You can find anything to scratch an itch you may have. Play any sport you want! See all sorts of musicals, plays, performances. Be a part of whatever student group, political, racial, sexual-- whatever you want- you can find a niche at michigan!

Gosh do you ever run into other alums that are as proud of their experience as michigan alums? The #1 selling point is not the ranking or the teachers or the facilities... it's the spirit! It's belonging to the tradition and being part of that BLUE pride that will stay with you forever...

GO BLUE!!!!

30. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    wow that's some bloody serious enthusiasm. :p

an no way in hot hot hell am i going to live in a dorm like setting when i go to med school - not any med school, not even one where 85% of a class of 170 live in a dorm (i.e.northwestern). i will be 26 and with pets and a large need to be an adult on my own. but apparently lots of people are into it b/c when i voice my opinion i get funny looks. oh well. if u need to find me, i'll be the one scraping by to make house payments. :D

31. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member

bump

Let's end this Michigan-thread diarrhea, and use this thread to ask and answer all Michigan questions

There can only be one (thread)

32. Ligament

Ligament Interventional Pain Management
    Physician Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Goodmonkey has got some screws missing.

I am a wolverine and you scare me.

33. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    I have some screws missing? how do you figure, pray tell?

34. TeinVI

TeinVI Banned
    Banned

goodmonkey has no screwws missing i tell ya!! she a fine specimen :]