Official University of Arizona Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
here here DesertDr, I agree :) Care you weigh in on the corgi class mascot idea? yay or nay? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

omgwtfbbq? said:
here here DesertDr, I agree :) Care you weigh in on the corgi class mascot idea? yay or nay? :laugh:

bbq:

Corgi as class mascot = Yay! I've thought about getting a dog myself but passed on the idea when I realized that I wouldn't be able to give the pup the attention and love it needed/required....so...looks like I"ll have to live vicariously through you.

Have you decided on med school over writing school?

omgwtfbbq? said:

I agree with the others....yay for the corgi class mascot! Now we just have to find a mini lab coat... :laugh:

bbq, i thought you had decided to defer a year??

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, this is off the subject where we were going, but does anyone know if we have to get a labtop ?

I'm debating whether to get a new laptop or keep my current desktop....

no, i still decided to defer, but due to some issues with the writing program funding I'm sort of in limbo. they're trying to fix it, but until i find out the last word, I'm kind of hanging out in space. (limbo's not fun)

As for giving the dog love and attention, desert, you'll have plenty of time to love a dog :) people have 9-5 jobs and love their dogs without giving them complexes. I figure i'll study at home, walk it in the morning before class and then again at night, and every free chance I get spoil the corgi rotten. (i'm a huge sucker, the dog will own me instead of the other way around)

AL112934 said:
hey, this is off the subject where we were going, but does anyone know if we have to get a labtop ?

I'm debating whether to get a new laptop or keep my current desktop....

Yes, you will have to get a laptop, but you shouldn't rush out to buy it now. The school will send out technical specifications (and perhaps info about an institutional discount for students buying it) as part of the mailing they're sending out later this summer.

speaking of dogs, any one have any advice about finding a place to rent in Tucson that will ALLOW dogs. most places i've looked say no pets allowed, and I'm getting a rescue golden retriever in a month or so...hmmm...any thoughts?

rainwoman

rainwoman said:
speaking of dogs, any one have any advice about finding a place to rent in Tucson that will ALLOW dogs. most places i've looked say no pets allowed, and I'm getting a rescue golden retriever in a month or so...hmmm...any thoughts?

rainwoman

Hi Rainwoman!

I think your best bet would be to rent a house, guest house or townhouse as most apts don't let you keep pets (as you've already experienced).

Shameless plug but I have a good friend who's renting out an apt with a new kitchen, new appliances, high speed internet, security system, and private yard and parking...on 9th St. east of 4th Ave near the university. He has a dog so I think he is pet-friendly. The rent is $900/month plus utilities so it would be higher than what the U of A is budgeting (about $600/month?) but may work out if you have a significant other, etc. PM me if you want more info.

Otherwise, best of luck on the housing search!

Just for those who are interested in the status of the waitlist....

As of this afternoon they were up to #21. I also asked how thing were shaping up compared to last year (same, more, or less movement). She told me it was about the same and that they took #39 last year.

Good luck to everyone still on the wait list... :)

Thanks for the update so much. My Friend is Number 40 and he is freaking out. I hope he gets in. ALso, if you feel comfortable, what number are you, or if you want, what general area are you in?

ASU_Devil said:
Thanks for the update so much. My Friend is Number 40 and he is freaking out. I hope he gets in. ALso, if you feel comfortable, what number are you, or if you want, what general area are you in?

Good luck to your friend... I am in the low to mid 30's area. So I am in the same boat as your friend and have to patiently wait. I also got into 4 other schools, but this is my first choice. I have already had to drop most of my other schools. I am now just holding onto Mid-Western and hoping for U of A.

Good luck to your friend... :)

For anyone interested, they are up to #28. I have officially given up my acceptance, so they should get to number 29 very soon. Good luck to all you guys and I wish you all the best.

They should be up to #34 by know, a guy I know around that number was admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
ASU_Devil said:
They should be up to #34 by know, a guy I know around that number was admitted.

Wow... I hope they are really around that number because would be great news for me.

Thanks for taking the time to let the rest of us know where the list is at.

Good luck with your class next year :)

Does anyone know where they were today by the end of the day with the alternate list? Was there as much movement today?

I think you have to wait til Wed. afternoon for more movement. This is what my friend was told. Good luck. Keep us posted.

aflo, you are 48, right? You might have a chance if they are in the mid 30s right now. You might be getting the call the day before school, but you still have a chance.

aflo said:
Does anyone know where they were today by the end of the day with the alternate list? Was there as much movement today?

Hi guys,

I know that they were at #35 as of about 9:00 am on Tuesday. That seems like a lot of movement so far and I think they are going to go pretty deep on this year's list. Heck, there are only 15 people left on the 50 person list and we are just in May. There are still two and half months to go before school starts.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to get in... :)

Hey Darth,

So you got into UoA, congrats dude. Is this where you will be going. This is great, because it looks like my friend is in. It is between Midwestern and the UoA for him.

ASU_Devil said:
Hey Darth,

So you got into UoA, congrats dude. Is this where you will be going. This is great, because it looks like my friend is in. It is between Midwestern and the UoA for him.

Thanks! Yeah this is definetely where I will be going... I got into Midwestern too, but this really was my first choice. MWU is a great school, so either way your friend can't go wrong.

The list seems to be moving a lot this year so that's good news for everyone who is still waiting on the list...

Good luck in NY.

Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted to the UoA, and will be there next year. I was wondering, where are good places to live in Tucson. Can someone provide sections of the city, or intersections, or places I should stay away from. Also, can you bike to school, or is that impossible. Also, what is parking like down there. Thanks in advance guys.

EmpHol said:
Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted to the UoA, and will be there next year. I was wondering, where are good places to live in Tucson. Can someone provide sections of the city, or intersections, or places I should stay away from. Also, can you bike to school, or is that impossible. Also, what is parking like down there. Thanks in advance guys.

Congratulations EmpHol!

Tucson is fairly patchworked as far as good neighborhoods and bad ones. There are always exceptions, but in general, east of Euclid (a.k.a. 1st St) is generally safer than west of it. North of 22nd St. is generally safer than south of it. The area bordered by Glenn on the south, Stone on the east, Roger on the north, and Oracle on the west is pretty rough.

The area near campus is pretty bike-friendly. I lived south of campus on 10th St & Cherry for 5 years and biked to school (main campus) every day. I've lived north of campus near Grant & Mountain for a year now and biked to work (at the medical school) every day. For what it's worth, I've only been hit by a car once! :)

Parking permits for the school year can be kind of hard to get this late in the cycle. I'd start by going to the P&T website for prices and availability. http://parking.arizona.edu/. The lot-specific #2012 permit right next to the school is handy, but getting a zone 1 permit so you can park in #2147 or #2148 is a little less expensive and practically as good.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you for your response.

I am thinking of getting a house abouy 4 miles away. Around the place where campbell turns into Kino. I was wondering what you guys thought of the area, and if it is possible to bike back and forth to school from this location.

Hello...

Has anyone heard about the new laptop requirement starting this year with the curriculum change? Does anyone know what the requirements will be? Can we use a laptop that we already have or do we all have to buy new ones? Does it have to be a Windows machine? Are the new Intel Mac's OK since you can boot Windows XP Pro on it?

Just curious if anyone in our class has heard anything about this...

Hi all!

I talked to Linda Burke, and she said that they will be sending out info about the laptop requirements in June. She didn't really tell me anything else.

Just curious, is anyone gonna live a little further from school like I plan to?

I went to UA for undergrad, and now I feel like I want a nicer place, a place I could live in for 4 yrs- or is everyone living really close and biking?

just wanna know

mrdarthvader said:
Hello...

Has anyone heard about the new laptop requirement starting this year with the curriculum change? Does anyone know what the requirements will be? Can we use a laptop that we already have or do we all have to buy new ones? Does it have to be a Windows machine? Are the new Intel Mac's OK since you can boot Windows XP Pro on it?

Just curious if anyone in our class has heard anything about this...

According to the IT guys I just spoke with, your life will be much easier if it's a Windows machine. You'll be using the laptop to interface with the course schedule, receive and submit assignments, etc. The software programming to support the student interface is being designed in a way that runs more smoothly in Windows.

Hope2010 said:
According to the IT guys I just spoke with, your life will be much easier if it's a Windows machine. You'll be using the laptop to interface with the course schedule, receive and submit assignments, etc. The software programming to support the student interface is being designed in a way that runs more smoothly in Windows.

Thanks for the info...

Do you think you could use one of the new Intel Macs since you can install windows on it and run it just like any other windows machine? I obviously prefer Macs and the new ones allow you to dual boot to either Mac OSX or Windows XP and XP Pro. According to those who have used it they say Windows runs excellent, very fast...no difference than a regular PC. I would like to have the best of both worlds. :)

I am going to hold off though until I hear from the school and make sure they will accept it...

mrdarthvader said:
Thanks for the info...

Do you think you could use one of the new Intel Macs since you can install windows on it and run it just like any other windows machine? I obviously prefer Macs and the new ones allow you to dual boot to either Mac OSX or Windows XP and XP Pro. According to those who have used it they say Windows runs excellent, very fast...no difference than a regular PC. I would like to have the best of both worlds. :)

I am going to hold off though until I hear from the school and make sure they will accept it...

Holding off is the way to go. (Again, per the IT guys) the committee that's assigned with deciding the laptop specifications has not reached a final decision yet. By the end of June, they will have fully decided and sent out instructions to all the incoming students. For now, all they've decided is that it should run Windows and be wireless capable, and that a student might not necessarily have to get a new laptop, depending on what the student already has. In other words, don't rush out and buy anything today.

Hey everybody. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I haven't been on in a while and WOW the waitlist sure is moving. Just to let whoever cares know, I am filling out the paperwork for my deferral right now, so whoever is next on the list gets my spot. My corgi and I will see you NEXT year. He'll be a much better mascot when he's older anyways :)

omgwtfbbq? said:
Hey everybody. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I haven't been on in a while and WOW the waitlist sure is moving. Just to let whoever cares know, I am filling out the paperwork for my deferral right now, so whoever is next on the list gets my spot. My corgi and I will see you NEXT year. He'll be a much better mascot when he's older anyways :)

BBQ-

Good luck with the writing endeavor :thumbup: At least the Class of 2011 will get to see how we 2010'ers handle the new curriculum and work out the kinks!

See you next year.....desert.

EmpHol said:
Thank you for your response.

I am thinking of getting a house abouy 4 miles away. Around the place where campbell turns into Kino. I was wondering what you guys thought of the area, and if it is possible to bike back and forth to school from this location.

Hi EmpHo-

I will be your future classmate as well :)

I currently live in Tucson- I think biking from the campbell/kino area might be a stretch, but hey, if you are an avid biker...

If you are still looking for a place, I would recommend looking north or east of campus. (I am biased- I live 5 miles NE of campus) These areas tend to be safer and nicer (although tucson has random 'rough' patches). If you have questions about specific places I would be happy to answer them! :)

Thanks for the response. I decided it was better to just get an apartment next to the school. I thought it was possible to pay for the house using student loans, but banks don't like that, so they will not approve a loan.

EmpHol said:
Thanks for the response. I decided it was better to just get an apartment next to the school. I thought it was possible to pay for the house using student loans, but banks don't like that, so they will not approve a loan.

Do you mind telling me what you worked out regarding financial aid? I am still in the process of getting funding and would appreciate any tips!

I am taking out the 38,500 I am allowed a year. I want to live in a nice area that is close to the UoA. I do no think I will get anything from the UoA besides loans which we all are allowed to take.

They have accepted through #42 as of yesterday for anyone that is curious.

aflo said:
They have accepted through #42 as of yesterday for anyone that is curious.

WOW! It's not even June yet and they are already over 80% of the waitlist. I wonder what happens if they get to 50......start calling people that were rejected?

I'm on the WL at Sinai and there's a slim chance that I'll get off of it but if I do...there's another spot available.

WOOOW!! I think they will accept everyone off the wl.

desertdr said:
WOW! It's not even June yet and they are already over 80% of the waitlist. I wonder what happens if they get to 50......start calling people that were rejected?

I was wondering that too. I have been flat out rejected by them 2 years in a row now, but somehow I doubt I'd get a call since they don't like me (lol) :rolleyes:
oh well!

Glad so many of you are getting accepted off the WL! That is exciting! Good luck! :luck:

they'll probably just have a smaller class size, desert. Although, wouldn't that be a kicker. Someone who didn't get into a med school, has already made other plans, suddenly getting a phone call.... Hey its u of a... we were thinking, maybe we were wrong about you...perhaps a little too hasty in saying "no".... and when we said we regretted not giving you a spot in the class, hey, we really did mean it.... so what do you say? want to come?

i have to say, i'm amazed how many people have gotten in off the waitlist! I wonder what all this movement is due to. congrats to everyone who's now officially in.

Now here' s the ultimate question... i'm deferring my acceptance for a year... why am i still hanging out on SDN ?????
:laugh:

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me about the UoA scholarships. I thought we don't find anything out until we are already in school? This is what the financial aid dept. told me.

A friend of mine at the school told me, everyone gets some kind of a $500 scholarship. But others say this is not true.

Finally, a friend of mine who was accepted during regular season, told me he was told that he got a scholarship in his financial aid letter. I thought this was not possible.

Anyways, sorry for the long list of questions. I am just curious!!!

Hi EmpHol:

I wasn't one of the lucky ones who received a scholarship ....in fact, my financial aid consisted of all loans! :thumbdown: So much for filing the FAFSA so early. But you can't complain about tuition at the U of A...$15K!

Hopefully you're right and that everyone gets a $500 scholarship at the beginning of school!

EmpHol said:
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me about the UoA scholarships. I thought we don't find anything out until we are already in school? This is what the financial aid dept. told me.

A friend of mine at the school told me, everyone gets some kind of a $500 scholarship. But others say this is not true.

Finally, a friend of mine who was accepted during regular season, told me he was told that he got a scholarship in his financial aid letter. I thought this was not possible.

Anyways, sorry for the long list of questions. I am just curious!!!

For anyone that still cares, I called yesterday morning and they have accepted up to #44 on the wait list, so two more last week. I am getting so excited, come on #48!!!!!!

good luck aflo, i'll be rooting for you! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey everyone,
I'm selling my house because I'm moving away from Arizona. The man who is buying it wants to rent it out during the next year (July 2006 - June 2007). The size and location is ideal for two or three medical/law/grad students, plus it's really beautifully renovated. If anyone's potentially interested in renting a sweet place near campus, PM me and I'll send you a link to the property info and pictures. :)

They reach #48 today and I am officially accepted. I am so excited and I cannot wait to meet all of you.

Alissa

Alissa, congrats!!!!! I won't be going to UA this year (i'm deferring) but I"ll meet ya the year after. (My corgi, Arthur, barks his congratulations - twice!!)

aflo said:
They reach #48 today and I am officially accepted. I am so excited and I cannot wait to meet all of you.

Alissa

aflo said:

Alissa

That rocks! I am really happy for you. It is such an awesome feeling. I am excited about next year too. See ya there! :)

Wow, I honestly can't believe that our class may actually be smaller than 110. 4 more and the waitlist is finished. I wonder why they didn't make the list longer this year. They must have figured many peope will be worried about the new curriculum. Ohh well.

Congrats to everyone on accepted thus far, and good luck to the remaining few on the waitlist.

Can someone PM me the website that was started by the class of 2009. I heard it was a good idea to start looking at that, but I forgot what it was. Thanks in advance.