Official University of Louisville School of Dentistry Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
d. When do you think the new construction of dental building will be completed? Exactly, what is under construction? What are you guys expecting from it?

I can say one thing and it'll change by the time I'm asked the question again. I don't know when it'll be done...will you be affected by the changes in your time there? yes. I've heard there will be new clinics before...i've heard a new lecture hall...not exactly sure about anything and thats probably what you'll hear from most students.

When I was down for my interview a few upperclassmen had mentioned to me that they also were promised finished renovations before they would be done. They told us not to get our hopes up for the renovations as they seemed doubtful they would go through as fast as the adcom was saying. Thoughts? Have you seen any ground broken?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was down for my interview a few upperclassmen had mentioned to me that they also were promised finished renovations before they would be done. They told us not to get our hopes up for the renovations as they seemed doubtful they would go through as fast as the adcom was saying. Thoughts? Have you seen any ground broken?

Anyway, I think the facility at U of L is already excellent!

However, I didn't see cafeterias and many other places around the campus. During my interview, the dental tour was not complete. (Parts of the dental tour schedule was probably cancelled!) HAHA I hope there is an on-line site!

Last edited:
To MnBr63

Thanks for the reply!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, I think the facility at U of L is already excellent!

However, I didn't see cafeterias and many other places around the campus. During my interview, the dental tour was not complete. (Parts of the dental tour schedule was probably cancelled!) HAHA I hope there is an on-line site!

I can assure you that we've got a few decent cafeterias. The one that people go to the most is ACB, and there is City Cafe, and finally there is also a pretty nice restaurant in the outpatient center as well.

hey guys..

I think curriculum at U of Louisville is really focused on dental stuffs.

They seem to minimize their didactic courses, but maximize clinical training. Do you think my interpretation is correct?

Btw, let me ask a few more questions about curriculum at U of L.

a. What sorts of tests do you have? (Mid-term/Final?)

b. Do you think tests and courses are not staggered? (Do you feel comfortable at your class schedule?)

c. What is your estimated average board exam score & board pass rate?

d. When do you think the new construction of dental building will be completed? Exactly, what is under construction? What are you guys expecting from it?

e. Do you guys have digitalized curriculum? (Class aids, lecture note, blackboard system, web-learning, etc) Or do you have to take every note?

Thanks ahead~~ :thumbup:

a. It depends on the class. Big classes like Histo and Physio will have 4 to 5 exams in a semester, while smaller classes may just have a midterm and a final.

b. For the most part, it hasn't been that bad.

c. I am pretty sure we do well, but it wouldn't matter since the board is changing to pass/no pass in 2 years anyways.

d. Don't bank on it. There isn't a definite date for that one.

e. I used to take notes, but professors pretty much give you everything you need to learn.

Congrats to all who've been aceepted. I like it here and like the others have said, it's doable, if you made it this far you can definitely do it.:luck: As far as Jig goes, he's the exception, he rocks every exam!:thumbup:

Congrats to all who've been aceepted. I like it here and like the others have said, it's doable, if you made it this far you can definitely do it.:luck: As far as Jig goes, he's the exception, he rocks every exam!:thumbup:

That's not true!

I failed the first DA exam pretty badly, remember? :p

So I had the interview on Dec. 5th and was put on the "next to be contacted list" couple days later, which is I guess the euphemistic way of saying that I am on the waitlist. Do you know what my chances of getting into this program cuz I really want to go here! Plus it will save me money on having to fly out to all the other eastcoast schools for interviews, which aren't too high on my list for dental schools.

I'll add a sophomore perspective

hey guys..

I think curriculum at U of Louisville is really focused on dental stuffs.

They seem to minimize their didactic courses, but maximize clinical training. Do you think my interpretation is correct?

They want to train you to be a good dentist at Louisville. They may hold you to higher standards a little bit more in some of the dental classes, which I think is a good thing. In other words... don't be disappointed to make a C in DA lab.

Btw, let me ask a few more questions about curriculum at U of L.

a. What sorts of tests do you have? (Mid-term/Final?)

Exams vary from class to class. I'm only a first year so I only know what we've done in the summer and the fall. Most of the more intensive classes (Physiology, Histology, Gross Anatomy, Dental Anatomy) have around 3-4 tests. Some have quizzes, especially iClicker quizzes. The written tests have been scantron/ multiple choice and the practicals are writing down and identifying. There are other courses that will only have a final (Correlated Sciences) or will have a mid-term and a final (oral radiology.) Don't be afraid of those classes that ONLY have 1 test. Nobody failed them in our class.

Sophomores had several classes that only had a midterm and final. These are mostly the one hour courses, but also included Indirect Restorations. Several classes had quizzes, some classes had quizzes nearly every time we met (Perio II).

The biggest change I've seen in any testing format is in pathology class. Many, many more questions on these exams are formatted in the following ways;

1. they give two sentences and you must determine if one is true, both are true, or both are false.

2. All of the following are true/false EXCEPT - these suck, because it's like having five questions and if you miss any one you miss them all.

3. The worst type of all are these - they give you the question and give you 5-8 answers and then ask you to pick;

1&4 a correct
1 only
1,3,6 are correct
none are correct
all are correct
1,2,4,5 are correct

b. Do you think tests and courses are not staggered? (Do you feel comfortable at your class schedule?)

I'm pretty comfortable with the class schedule. Yea you can gripe about how things are...and you may have a particularly "more full" week one week but I'd say you'll get that anywhere. There will be times when you feel overwhelmed but its nothing that you can't handle. BUT *disclaimer* I'm a 1st year...i'm sure there are some 2nd years in Path that would disagree with me.

I've never had a problem with course schedules. Class reps can work with faculty to change test dates and such to make it better for everyone. I think that most professors have been pretty great about this with one or two exceptions.

c. What is your estimated average board exam score & board pass rate?

Can't think of it off the top of my head but I know its better than average. Also, since you'll be in c/o 2013 you will be taking Pass/Fail boards which have not been used yet.

ditto.

I can say one thing and it'll change by the time I'm asked the question again. I don't know when it'll be done...will you be affected by the changes in your time there? yes. I've heard there will be new clinics before...i've heard a new lecture hall...not exactly sure about anything and thats probably what you'll hear from most students.

I heard recently that they are also increasing the class size to as many as 120, up from the 82-85 they have now. I was told that they have some things ready, but are waiting so that everything can be done at one time. This is a state school, so it's not the school's fault that things get changed. State politics change, budgets change, priorities change and you get bumped down the list. It's always a money issue that delays the renovation.

e. Do you guys have digitalized curriculum? (Class aids, lecture note, blackboard system, web-learning, etc) Or do you have to take every note?

Yes to most of that. we do use blackboard and that is where you will download most of your lecture notes. Most people bring the lecture notes to class and then highlight and make their own notes to the side.

Sophomore year has a few faculty that don't want you to have anything. They show powerpoints but will not let you have a copy, no notes are provided, and some give you an outline that is mostly useless. We have found ways around these problems as a class, but it takes some effort.

I've heard rumor that more lectures will be available using the Tegrity system. Tegrity makes class time available all the time by automatically capturing, storing and indexing every class on campus for replay by every student. You missed histo lecture? No problem, just watch it at home on your computer.

Jig...you wanna race? We'll do it old scool, Tumbleweed's after Gross style.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I made a Facebook group for those of you who will be at Louisville in July! Just search Louisville Dentistry 2013 and you should find it...let me know if that doesn't work!

I was part of the big interview group on monday, hopefully we will find out in the next couple of days....were any of the current students here part of the group that led us around monday?

I was also part of the interview group on Monday, Jan 12.
Has anyone heard back anything yet? Wait-listed? Acceptance?

I really do not understand the "Next to Be Contacted List." I have heard people say its like being wait-listed...but better? Anyone know the stats on how many people get accepted with this status?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the Next to be Contacted list.

I was also part of the interview group on Monday, Jan 12.
Has anyone heard back anything yet? Wait-listed? Acceptance?

I really do not understand the "Next to Be Contacted List." I have heard people say its like being wait-listed...but better? Anyone know the stats on how many people get accepted with this status?

I was placed on the Next to be Contacted list.

I think they are screwing with us, I'm on it as well, found out today.

"Next to be contacted" is just a waitlist. If you look at your status on AADSAS, it says waitlist. Why they use such strange terminology, I have no idea.

"Next to be contacted" is just a waitlist. If you look at your status on AADSAS, it says waitlist. Why they use such strange terminology, I have no idea.
I agree, they told us it was a step up-but it's just a traditional wait list that they've changed the name of to look better. I'm annoyed.

Next to be called= waitlist.
I got the next to be contacted list/waitlist after my Dec. 5 interview. I think they are waiting to hear from people from the first round who are withdrawing their acceptances to go to another school.
I heard that it could be as early as next week or as late as June. In any case, I am not going to keep my hopes high and continue on interviewing with the other schools.

Next to be called= waitlist.
I got the next to be contacted list/waitlist after my Dec. 5 interview. I think they are waiting to hear from people from the first round who are withdrawing their acceptances to go to another school.
I heard that it could be as early as next week or as late as June. In any case, I am not going to keep my hopes high and continue on interviewing with the other schools.
I agree that the next to call list is the same thing as a waitlist. I would like to know if they tell anyone they are on the waitlist instead of the next to call list.

I agree that the next to call list is the same thing as a waitlist. I would like to know if they tell anyone they are on the waitlist instead of the next to call list.

Don't get discouraged. Plenty of people make it from the Next to be contacted list.

I got accepted Jan 15th. My interview was Jan 12th. Wahoo! I was so excited. It's my first acceptance.

Great question. I seem to remember during the interview that there was a waitlist and a NTBC list. I'm afraid it's my mind playing tricks on me though and the NTBC is Louisville's way of saying waitlisted.

Good luck to you all!!! Wish I knew how many spots were still available.

Yeah I've been on that silly list since dec. 1 too. Sounds like they throw tons of people on it, not really holding my breath.

I just spoke with admissions yesterday and they told me that the people on the NTBC list should have an email by this Friday (2/20). She said that she was updating the information on AADSAS this Thursday night, so I'm guessing that they may be sending out more offers Thursday before they make AADSAS updates?? Hopefully that's what going to happen.

I just spoke with admissions yesterday and they told me that the people on the NTBC list should have an email by this Friday (2/20). She said that she was updating the information on AADSAS this Thursday night, so I'm guessing that they may be sending out more offers Thursday before they make AADSAS updates?? Hopefully that's what going to happen.

Did someone get the email today?

Not yet... maybe tonite...
Good luck guys~~~

anyone get ANYTHING yet??? I keep checking, but no changes...It is almost 7pm there now...

anyone get ANYTHING yet??? I keep checking, but no changes...It is almost 7pm there now...

I do not think that they are going to change our status, because I have talked to admission staff and they are not going to send out the admission sooner.

I do not know who is right.

I called them this morning.....they said that there will be an update in two weeks.

do you know, what date are they going to update?:confused:

I feel your pain. I was on the list for over two months and couldn't wait any longer and decided to withdraw 2 weeks ago. So one more spot open to all you patient people. Thankfully I got in somewhere else and if L'ville had made a decision earlier, I would have definitely committed. In retrospect, I don't want to attend a program who doesn't express the same interest in me that I have in them. Maybe I wasn't the right fit for their program.

I just got off the phone and the admissions committee is meeting right now. They are going to send out acceptances as seats become available. So if seats are available today, people may hear today. Otherwise, there is not a magic date you are going to get off of the NTBC list. She did say that it looked like they were done interviewing for the cycle though and will be looking more closely at the NTBC list.

Can a student that has been accepted defer admission to the next year. For instance, if they have been accepted for a certain year, can that student defer acceptance to the following year in order to reserve their spot in the class for the next year