Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDiesel

'Tween the Dim & the Dark
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all future prospective Wolverines,

After seeing a few of these pop up for other schools and a suggestion by SailCrazy, I thought "what the hell" and started our thread.

I know it's really early, but here's our own place to discuss all things Michigan (as an undergrad here and AA resident for 21 yrs, I know everything... haha)

How about the football team lately? Maybe Henne will get it together after all...

B

Members don't see this ad.

what elementary school did u go to?

i know that sounds random...but i grew up in AA and then moved to CT....and i'm def looking forward to possibly returning for med school!

ahem... GO BLUE.

i'm only a potential wolverine '10 - i'll probably be going to ohio state.

sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea starting this thread. I'm surprised there's not an admitted students website or anything like that for us to post messages though.

GO BLUE!

ahd929 said:
ahem... GO BLUE.

i'm only a potential wolverine '10 - i'll probably be going to ohio state.

sorry!

You trator. And having a UofM avatar. :mad:

I hope to one day become a legit member of this thread! :)

Another wolverine over here! I was looking at the admissions website and there is a page for admitted students to sign in. What's up with that, when are we going to get a password to sign in? I guess when they know for sure we will be attending, like after May 15th? I am so antsy.

I was just going to get this thread started! :)

GO BLUE!
BDiesel said:
Hey all future prospective Wolverines,

After seeing a few of these pop up for other schools and a suggestion by SailCrazy, I thought "what the hell" and started our thread.

I know it's really early, but here's our own place to discuss all things Michigan (as an undergrad here and AA resident for 21 yrs, I know everything... haha)

How about the football team lately? Maybe Henne will get it together after all...

B

Ok, I've been thinking long and hard about how to rank schools. And what I've decided is that my top choice will be the school that has the WORST football team, b/c I am not in the least a football fan. So, what I want to know is, are there any of you people who think you might go to U. Mich. but who do NOT like football???? I just want to know up front whether I'd be spending every weekend in the library alone. :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
Ok, I've been thinking long and hard about how to rank schools. And what I've decided is that my top choice will be the school that has the WORST football team, b/c I am not in the least a football fan. So, what I want to know is, are there any of you people who think you might go to U. Mich. but who do NOT like football???? I just want to know up front whether I'd be spending every weekend in the library alone. :smuggrin:

I don't know too much about football but I love competition so I think I would get into it. Although, I don't think any of us would go to football games every saturday. So don't think you'll be alone too much.

I hate football, but I have yet to get an interview from University of Michigan. However, if I do get in, I would be happy to spend the weekend in the library with you as long as you allow for frequent snack breaks:)

mashce said:
I hate football, but I have yet to get an interview from University of Michigan. However, if I do get in, I would be happy to spend the weekend in the library with you as long as you allow for frequent snack breaks:)

Sounds good. We'll order a pizza and sneak it into one of the group study rooms. :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
So, what I want to know is, are there any of you people who think you might go to U. Mich. but who do NOT like football???? I just want to know up front whether I'd be spending every weekend in the library alone. :smuggrin:
Not every game is at home Q. And I predict that you will have developed a certain affinity for the ol' Wolverines before your med school days are through. Being there at the Big House in person is A LOT different than watching a game on TV or checking out some other football game somewhere else.

That said, I'm sure I'll spend a Saturday or two in the library.

QofQuimica said:
Ok, I've been thinking long and hard about how to rank schools. And what I've decided is that my top choice will be the school that has the WORST football team, b/c I am not in the least a football fan.
With the way this season has gone for Michigan's football team, it is a clear sign that based on your criteria, they are doing near their historical best (er, worst) to get you to Ann Arbor!

Members don't see this ad :)
SailCrazy said:
Not every game is at home Q. And I predict that you will have developed a certain affinity for the ol' Wolverines before your med school days are through. Being there at the Big House in person is A LOT different than watching a game on TV or checking out some other football game somewhere else.

I think I'm immune. All in all, I'd rather watch hockey. Is there a Wolverines hockey team?

QofQuimica said:
I think I'm immune. All in all, I'd rather watch hockey. Is there a Wolverines hockey team?
I watch hockey; it's more fast paced than football, and all my male relatives play. Anyone more knowledgeable want to answer this question?

Heck YEAH there's a Wolverine hockey team! The fans are known to be the rowdiest in all of college hockey... and they're famed for a rather crude chant consisting of a chain of about 7 obsenities in a row. It's pretty fantastic, in my opinion, although a touch offensive. :)

it's michigan...there must be a hockey team, right? :laugh:

I'm really going to have a hard time deciding who to cheer for. As a Michigan State student, I currently bleed Green and White, and have been taught to have an inner hatred of "Skunk Bears." That beeing said, the Spartans haven't been doing very well as of, well, ever. At least in football, basketball's another story :)

Right now, I could manage:
Football: UofM and State, but probably State when they face eachother. Two years in overtime, and yet we lose them both!! Grrrrr!
Basketball: State (of course, and the reason for the Green Hedgehog Experiment)
Hockey: Probably UofM. I only followed State's program my sophomore year, though I guess we tied w/ UofM this year...

Uh, Go Green!

QofQuimica said:
A great hockey team!

FYI: USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll

The 11th annual USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Men's College Hockey Poll is conducted each week in conjunction with the American Hockey Coaches Association. The poll includes input from coaches and journalists representing each of the six NCAA Division I ice hockey conferences, as well as composite votes from officers of the American Hockey Coaches Association and USA Hockey Magazine, the official publication of USA Hockey.

Oct. 23, 2005

No. Team (First-place votes) Points Last Week
1. Michigan (23) 493 1
2. Colorado College (2) 425 4
3. Cornell (3) 416 3
4. Ohio State (3) 410 2
5. Maine (3) 400 5
6. North Dakota 347 6
7. Minnesota 322 8
8. Michigan State 250 10
9. Denver 224 9
10. Boston College 209 7
11. Vermont 155 14
12. Wisconsin 152 13
13. New Hampshire 74 12
14. Northern Michigan 50 NR
15. Bemidji State 45 15

Also receiving votes: Boston University 24, Miami 21, St. Lawrence 19, Dartmouth 18, Harvard 16, Alaska-Fairbanks 4, Mercyhurst 4, Colgate 2.

** Plus Dean Remick will lace them up and skate with you too!

Hey everyone,

I just got an e-mail saying that the admitted student website is up! I haven't had time to look at it because I gotta get to work, but check it out!

B

URL: www.med.umich.edu/medschool/vitals/

BDiesel said:
Hey everyone,

I just got an e-mail saying that the admitted student website is up! I haven't had time to look at it because I gotta get to work, but check it out!

B

URL: www.med.umich.edu/medschool/vitals/
Well, you'll need the password too. Check your emails for that. We even get our own special discussion board on it!

I just logged in briefly today, but I will definitely be checking it out in more detail later!

Really not much on there; I think there's 1 post in the discussion boards or something. The P/F 2 years is pretty damn cool though, huh.

does anyone remember what the percentages are for Umich grads who get into their top three residency choices?

I forget if Dr. Remick said it was 100% for x, y, and z and then 94% for something else. Or were those numbers for something else ... anyone know what I'm talking about?

So, maybe I haven't looked carefully enough, but I can't find anything that we are required to do to confirm/reserve our UM acceptances. Does anyone know if there is a deposit? Are we supposed to reply?

amandil said:
So, maybe I haven't looked carefully enough, but I can't find anything that we are required to do to confirm/reserve our UM acceptances. Does anyone know if there is a deposit? Are we supposed to reply?

No reply needed until May 15th.

We were all excited about the website for admitted students with the discussion board and all. So how come no one has posted anything there? Guess no one wants to be first one to post huh?

kamui29 said:
does anyone remember what the percentages are for Umich grads who get into their top three residency choices?

I forget if Dr. Remick said it was 100% for x, y, and z and then 94% for something else. Or were those numbers for something else ... anyone know what I'm talking about?
98% comes to mind, but I don't know why!

princessd3 said:
We were all excited about the website for admitted students with the discussion board and all. So how come no one has posted anything there? Guess no one wants to be first one to post huh?
Yep! :D

... and the 3 exam I have this week limited my procrastinating to smaller amounts of SDN and not much else! :laugh:

princessd3 said:

Nobody posted there last year either, until May/June or so when ppl were looking for housing.

SailCrazy said:
98% comes to mind, but I don't know why!
I think it's 98% who match PERIOD. I remember asking him what happens to the other 2%, which was how I learned about the scramble. :D He said that some of them are also people like me (researchers w/ PhDs) who decide not to do residencies at all.

amandil said:

bump..

I was wondering the same thing.

magic_drm said:
bump..

I was wondering the same thing.
No, you don't have to do anything; they are automatically holding your place in the class for you until/unless you decline it. Your $200 deposit is due on May 15, though I'm sure they'd be happy to get it from you sooner. :laugh:

Wolverines are going down this saturday... against the Scarlet and Gray...
Buckeyes are going to snatch the big ten and a bcs seat... :smuggrin:

I missed much of the first part of the chat tonight. Was anything especially interesting or significant covered?

SailCrazy said:
I missed much of the first part of the chat tonight. Was anything especially interesting or significant covered?

Mostly, the usual questions about research, housing, international opportunities, mentoring, residency issues etc. Trying to think of anything particularly interesting.

princessd3 said:
Mostly, the usual questions about research, housing, international opportunities, mentoring, residency issues etc. Trying to think of anything particularly interesting.

Oh the average board score is 230 compared to national average of 215. Thought that was interesting.

princessd3 said:
Oh the average board score is 230 compared to national average of 215. Thought that was interesting.

Also, they're working on having a no credit Medical Spanish course next year.

SailCrazy said:
I thought that the most interesting things were that Second Look weekend is on Apr. 22-24, and scholarships will be awarded in March.

To any current students or students that have already interviewed with UM:

I'm trying to book a place when I go in Dec. I'd prefer not to rent a car, but I want to see more of AA than just the UM campus (I'll be there for 3 days). In Dec. is this possible by foot?

Also, I was planning on staying at one of the university hotels so I could walk to the interview, is it really as close as they say?

Thanks.

QofQuimica said:
I thought that the most interesting things were that Second Look weekend is on Apr. 22-24, and scholarships will be awarded in March.
Thanks. That is helpful information that I missed! :idea:

Anyone know what that welcome weekend is about? It's in early April.

So I had a Cornell interview and after learning about the PBL combined with lecture curriculum, I think it's great. I am kind of concerned about the lack of PBL at Michigan. What would be the rationale behind having very little PBL. At what point are we going to learn how to solve medical problems. Is it that the curriculum is structured in such a way that we get the same skills by other means. Any current Michigan students out there who can shed some light on this? What part of the curriculum would develop my problem solving skills?

So, how many of you are going to go to U Mich for sure? I just got my video email today, and I'm all about it.

novemberrainne said:
So, how many of you are going to go to U Mich for sure? I just got my video email today, and I'm all about it.

This school is my favorite but I still want to see how the finances play out.

70% of acceptances went out. Where are all the people who just got accepted?