OFFICIAL University of Minnesota Class of 2007 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey all - the University of Minnesota Medical School Class of 2007 now has an official webpage located at http://www.student.med.umn.edu/class2007/

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

Nice! We have a website, thanks adcadet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by CRAZYLION
Nice! We have a website, thanks adcadet.

Hey CrazyLion, what an original name. Now with the website you can spend even more time perusing the internet and even less time doing work! HA... HA....ha

the class of 2006 (www.student.med.umn.edu/class2006) has a discussion forum - do you think I should bother setting one up for the Class of 2007?

<a href="http://www.student.med.umn.edu/class2007">University of Minnesota Class of 2007</a>

Seems like a good idea if too much work is not invovled. It does not actually look like they use their meassage board that much.

The Class of 2006 webmaster is cool with sharing his forum, so this seems doable. Another plus is that us '07ers can ask '06ers questions. I'll see if I can get a specific section set up for use '07ers though.

do med students still get free wireless cards for laptops? i think i read that in an old post on the 2006 thread.

just wondering...

I believe a few members of the class of 2006 got free wireless cards, but I think this program has now ended since the place is officially wireless and the beta period is long over. Ask Oldman for details.

added a countdown timer to the webpage, as well as a few blubs about what's going on.

Andybody interested in getting together on April 24th or 25th?

we now have a discussion board, thanks to Oldman. I also setup a blog for rapid news updates.

Originally posted by CRAZYLION
Seems like a good idea if too much work is not invovled. It does not actually look like they use their meassage board that much.

to be honest once med school starts you are in the lecture hall with all of your classmates, so a message board isn't all that necessary. just go up to your classmates and talk to them. or go to the podium and grab the mic.

Originally posted by flyhalf10
do med students still get free wireless cards for laptops? i think i read that in an old post on the 2006 thread.

just wondering...

i'm not sure what will happen for the incoming class. the money came from some tech fund. perhaps there'll be some left over for next year too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bruinkid
is it true that minnesota's class has no diversity?

the class represents the overall state of MN, which is mostly scandinavian. there are people of other races, but the majority is still the caucasian.

that's as far as race goes

in terms of gender, our class is majority female so the male pool is slowly shrinking.

reification lives on...

The 2003 US News rankings are out, for those who are curious. Here's some Minnesota Stats:

U of M-TC
Reserch Rank: #37 (tied)
Primary Care Rank: #9 (3-way tie)

U of M School of Public Health Rank: 10

U of M-Duluth
Primary Care Rank: 5

Today I got the phone call. Actually, I missed the phone call from University of Minnesota so I called back and they told me I am in. I am very excited!!!!! I am looking forward to August and the start of our M1 year.
Does anybody know anything about living on-campus?

thanks

Originally posted by juanpablo48
Today I got the phone call. Actually, I missed the phone call from University of Minnesota so I called back and they told me I am in. I am very excited!!!!! I am looking forward to August and the start of our M1 year.

thanks

Yay!!! Congrats dude!

Living on campus I believe your only choices are the medical frats (stone's throw from campus). From the kids I talked to I got the impression that most live farther away. In fact, I'll probably be living in Uptown or maybe even by the St. Paul campus (taking the intercampus shuttle as a commute).

Try the Star Tribune ( I think?) website for rental/house listings - their search engine is very good.

Congrats again!!

Neil

Sitting in on a couple of classes I didn't see too many non-white people. It could be that for once being brown didn't hurt my chances of getting in :)

there's also married student housing available, but the wait list is like 18 months.

Congrads juanpablo48! And medicnas, are you in too?

Don't forget to check out the webpage. An official annoucement will be going out soon, but it's up now, including the forums. If you want to participate in the forum, you need to email me for authorization (don't want random people in our forums!).

Originally posted by Adcadet

Congrads juanpablo48! And medicnas, are you in too?

Yep :) I'm on the "high priority waitlist" for the law school (MD/JD)...we'll see if that works out. If it does I'd be the first person stupid enough to waste 6 years on both degrees (@ UMN). But for right now it looks like I'll be at the U this fall (unless Emory shows me love).

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the winters. Despite being a Chicagoan my entire life I'm still afraid of the arctic north of Minneapolis.

Adcadet - I'll toss you a PM tomorrow for a login/pass for the site; I checked it out tonight and it seems cool....although it didn't seem like too many people were on it (at least from the 07 class). Take care!!

yeah, there isn't much activity in the forums, but I image they will pick up once Dr. Becker sends out an email to everybody who's been accepted. I'm grateful for the willingness of the '06 webmaster to share his discussion forum so us incoming students can get advice and tips straight from the current first years.

Adcadet

Congrat everyone and I look forward to meeting you soon. About housing, I am from out of state and will be going up at the end of the month to look. The medical fraternities seem like the closest thing to on-campus housing and I am going by the check them out. I have contacted them and they were really cool about setting something up. I am not sure what I will do if that does not work out.

Originally posted medicnas
I'm on the "high priority waitlist" for the law school (MD/JD)...we'll see if that works out. If it does I'd be the first person stupid enough to waste 6 years on both degrees (@ UMN).

Good luck with that! Nice, more fellow "07"ers that won't graduate in "07" to hang with, I am doing the MD/PhD program.

Any more U of Minn students out there? Give us a post:D .

juanpablo48,

i saw that you interviewed at U of MN on jan 10th - and you just heard from them??? is that right?

i interviewed there march 10th - guess i won't be hearing from them until may, huh?

thanks

Originally posted by whatfun
juanpablo48,

i saw that you interviewed at U of MN on jan 10th - and you just heard from them??? is that right?

i interviewed there march 10th - guess i won't be hearing from them until may, huh?

Yeah, it took three months for my file to go to the admissions committee. I thought my file had gotten lost because every time I called they told me it was out for review but I thought it was too long since they said the review process takes about four weeks. My file was complete two weeks after the interview, so probalbly the actual waiting time might be about two and a half months after your file is complete. Anyhow, they told me yesterday that they actually looked at the file on wednesday, that's exactly three months after the interview.

Good luck

I think we should establish a prize for the member of our class who had to wait the longest for an outright acceptance. And I think that everyone who had to wait more than, say 2 months, after interviewing should be taken out to lunch by Dr. Becker.

sorry, this got my all worked up. I'll calm down soon: http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64844

Woo hoo! Minnesota is the 2003 National Hockey Champs!

Yipee!
I'll be in MN in August! Can't tell you how excited I am!!!!

I received my acceptance a while ago, and I tried PMing you Adcadet, but your box was full (we had PMed a few times about MN and interviewing at GW wayyyy back in Oct 2002).

This thread is a great idea! Nice to 'meet' people before actually gettting to orientation. Medicas and CRAZYLION, I'm looking at the med frats for housing for the fist year also. It sounds like a good setup. It will be good to have that support network with the 2nd years, and be able to vent when warranted. Plus the rent is about $300 a month.... wonderful to not have to add too much to the crazy debt at the end of four years.

So gooooo Gophers!!! When I went to interview at MN, the thing that stood out the most to me compared to other schools was how friendly the students were. Not that they were unfriendly at other schools, but MN students seemed exta nice, sincere, and helpful. Ah....but the cold, I am not looking forward to. I think I'll live in a snowsuit for my four years.... and while y'all think I'm joking, let me say that I am totally not! And i live in Chicago now. Yeesh.. I'm getting whimper about the cold every year!

So congratulations to all who have been accepted, and good luck to those waiting!

-bondgirl

Hey Adcadet, what's the deal with a password for the forum?
AND congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Bondgirl -
congrads! I PMed ya.

Any other '07ers out there?

Originally posted by bondgirl
Yipee!
I'll be in MN in August! Can't tell you how excited I am!!!!

I received my acceptance a while ago, and I tried PMing you Adcadet, but your box was full (we had PMed a few times about MN and interviewing at GW wayyyy back in Oct 2002).

This thread is a great idea! Nice to 'meet' people before actually gettting to orientation. Medicas and CRAZYLION, I'm looking at the med frats for housing for the fist year also. It sounds like a good setup. It will be good to have that support network with the 2nd years, and be able to vent when warranted. Plus the rent is about $300 a month.... wonderful to not have to add too much to the crazy debt at the end of four years.

So gooooo Gophers!!! When I went to interview at MN, the thing that stood out the most to me compared to other schools was how friendly the students were. Not that they were unfriendly at other schools, but MN students seemed exta nice, sincere, and helpful. Ah....but the cold, I am not looking forward to. I think I'll live in a snowsuit for my four years.... and while y'all think I'm joking, let me say that I am totally not! And i live in Chicago now. Yeesh.. I'm getting whimper about the cold every year!

So congratulations to all who have been accepted, and good luck to those waiting!

-bondgirl

Hey Adcadet, what's the deal with a password for the forum?
AND congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

the forums are locked down to give the users more freedom to post what they want without any prof reading the posts (aka we can whine about things). plus people use their names, so it improves on privacy.

hey all U of M people -
there is an informal get together at 6 PM on April 25th at Village Wok. Please let me know if you are able to attend just so I can make sure we find everybody. Hit the webpage for more information.

Thanks,
Adcadet

With three days to go before the 15th, I'm still deciding between the U and another school in Chicago. Part of this decision is dependent upon whether I can defer my admission.

Does anyone know if delayed admission requests are usually granted at the U? I sent the admissions office a letter a few weeks ago requesting DA - no response yet.

Please help!

Thanks!

the u is pretty stingy these days with deferrment. you'll have to have a better reason than, "i just feel like it." this is because previous students have abused the system by taking multiple deferrments (several years).

so call up becker and see if your reason is good enough. best of luck.

Originally posted by ejs064
With three days to go before the 15th, I'm still deciding between the U and another school in Chicago. Part of this decision is dependent upon whether I can defer my admission.

Does anyone know if delayed admission requests are usually granted at the U? I sent the admissions office a letter a few weeks ago requesting DA - no response yet.

Please help!

Thanks!

The committee that looks at DA requests had a special session today, and it seems they have denied my request. It was a bit suprising to me, because my plan for next year involves teaching English in Japan through a very reputable and competitive program run by the Japanese government. I was (and still am) quite confident this will make me a better med student and doctor by improving my abilities to teach, a skill some doctors seem to lack (ie, attendings teaching students and residents).

In any case, it seems I won't be heading back home to MN for med. school; as I'm not going to give up an overseas experience like this...

Good luck to all!