***Official University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni c/o 2012 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in! UOP! im soooo happy!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is just way too quite, I think we all need to introduce ourselves and see who we're going to be hanging out with for the next three years.

I'm from LA, went to undergrad at USC, and am currently loving the absolute waste of time that is my year off. I'm hoping to live in Pacific Apartments, leaving my car at home (passing it on to my little brother who will die if he puts another scratch on it), wondering how I'll survive without a car, wondering how I'll survive without being able to go home and get some of my mom's cooking, and totally psyched out about making my parents bleaching trays the first few weeks of a school as a sort of there's-more-where-that-came-from thank you for helping me pay for school, which incidentally I am totally freaked out about. I just finished my taxes today (first time doing it myself, so proud!) so tomorrow I'm going to finish my Fafsa and turn it in.

So that was me oversharing, who wants to go next?

This thread is just way too quite, I think we all need to introduce ourselves and see who we're going to be hanging out with for the next three years.

I'm from LA, went to undergrad at USC, and am currently loving the absolute waste of time that is my year off. I'm hoping to live in Pacific Apartments, leaving my car at home (passing it on to my little brother who will die if he puts another scratch on it), wondering how I'll survive without a car, wondering how I'll survive without being able to go home and get some of my mom's cooking, and totally psyched out about making my parents bleaching trays the first few weeks of a school as a sort of there's-more-where-that-came-from thank you for helping me pay for school, which incidentally I am totally freaked out about. I just finished my taxes today (first time doing it myself, so proud!) so tomorrow I'm going to finish my Fafsa and turn it in.

I'm from Irvine, CA (that's about 1 1/2 hr south from LA) and am currently a 4th year at UCI about to finish up my last quarter... YAY me!!!! haha... I'm excited to move to sf... it'll be a nice change of scenery. :) n as for mommy's cooking... dude... i'm having her make a ton n freezing it in tupperware jars for me!!!!! :cool:

i'm worried about finding an apt... n how much it's going to cost n the amt of money i'll have to spend... >.< but i can't wait til we get our packets next month!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My turn?

Brian here. I am originally from Kansas City, but have lived in the bay area for the past 10 years. graduated from Cal way back in the day. I am a non-trad student who was formerly a mechanical engineer. I am married (1 year anniversary on Feb. 29 :laugh:) without rugrats. I am killing time right now, unemployed (can't even get an interview for a minimum wage job :eek:), and taking a couple of classes at the local cc. I golf (when I had/have cash) and brew beer, time permitting. My biggest worry with school is the co$t. I wish there was a January start option for d-school, because I am ready to start this mutha! July can't come soon enough. Looking forward to meeting everyone this summer.

Anybody going to Pride Day this year?

I'm from Irvine, CA (that's about 1 1/2 hr south from LA) and am currently a 4th year at UCI about to finish up my last quarter... YAY me!!!! haha... I'm excited to move to sf... it'll be a nice change of scenery. :) n as for mommy's cooking... dude... i'm having her make a ton n freezing it in tupperware jars for me!!!!! :cool:

i'm worried about finding an apt... n how much it's going to cost n the amt of money i'll have to spend... >.< but i can't wait til we get our packets next month!!!

That's awesome, I actually live in Cerritos, which is WAY smaller than Irvine. I head out there a lot because I teach at the Kaplan center there.

I'm totally counting on getting a spot in Pacific Apartments b/c I really don't want to deal with a private landlord. There's a thread in the Dental section where I asked some questions, and basically found out that two bedrooms have two bathrooms, which I am now pining for because I hate the idea of sharing a bathroom (had enough of that in undergrad, tyvm).

My turn?

Brian here. I am originally from Kansas City, but have lived in the bay area for the past 10 years. graduated from Cal way back in the day. I am a non-trad student who was formerly a mechanical engineer. I am married (1 year anniversary on Feb. 29 :laugh:) without rugrats. I am killing time right now, unemployed (can't even get an interview for a minimum wage job :eek:), and taking a couple of classes at the local cc. I golf (when I had/have cash) and brew beer, time permitting. My biggest worry with school is the co$t. I wish there was a January start option for d-school, because I am ready to start this mutha! July can't come soon enough. Looking forward to meeting everyone this summer.

Dude, I can't find a part-time job off of Craigslist. But then I figured who needs to work more anyways right? I've got miiiiinimal hours on my curren pt job, but I figure I wont earn more than a pittance anyways. I compromise by spending all my time online looking for cheaper ways to buy the things I need for school. (All-in-one laser printer for $75 dollars, shipping included!)

Biggest worry is definitely cost. But I can wait till July to start, there's nothing quite like waking up early, deciding that whatever was on today's to-do list isn't that important anyways, and then going back to sleep.

Hey everybody! I guess all of us are in very similar situation!
I am from Hawaii, originally from Korea ~7years ago, and currently attending the LAST!! semester of UH..:) Just like all of you guys, thinking about this summer is exciting but at the same time worrying about the cost;;; I also worry about how am I gonna live without family,, car (like drpsue,, I will leave my car to my younger sister).. no relatives.. never lived in mainland;; +_+ Currently, I am trying to make as much money as possible,, Luckily, I was able to get jobs..maybe this is the most job I will have in my life!

But I can wait till July to start, there's nothing quite like waking up early, deciding that whatever was on today's to-do list isn't that important anyways, and then going back to sleep.

I must admit it was nice to wake up at 10 this morning and to be sitting here in bed at 11 not doing squat but browsing sdn and sipping coffee. Thank goodness I have a 'sugar mamma' with a job who is willing to support my lifestyle of leisure! :laugh: We both know that the next three years are going to be just a wee bit tough so I maight as well enjoy my free time while it still exists.

I must admit it was nice to wake up at 10 this morning and to be sitting here in bed at 11 not doing squat but browsing sdn and sipping coffee. Thank goodness I have a 'sugar mamma' with a job who is willing to support my lifestyle of leisure! :laugh: We both know that the next three years are going to be just a wee bit tough so I maight as well enjoy my free time while it still exists.

Totally agree... haha... i've been spending a buttload of money rite now on frivilous stuff... n my mom's like... why aren't u saving your money????? n i'm like... but i won't be able to buy this for the next 3 years... >.< haha. oh wellz... i'll be in debt anyways so w/e.

Hi everyone! My name is Lindsay. I just joined student doctor network so I am still trying to figure it all out. But it is great to hear a little bit about you guys and where you are all coming from! I am from Albuquerque, NM and I am finishing up my last semester at UNM with a BA in Family Studies...which you have probably never hear of in your life! Basically, it's the study of family growth/development, parenting practices, laws pertaining to families, minority families, low income families, etc...pretty much anything you can think of that has to do with the family. If you're wondering what sort of job someone gets with that degree...the answer is that I have no idea and that is why I am becoming a dentist. :D Haha okay so not really, there is a lot more to the story than that. But ANYWAY. I have been married for a little over three years to the most amazing man ever (I'm not at all biased or anything). Like everyone else, we are hoping for Pacific housing. But it would also be sort of a mixed blessing because we have four pets that we have no idea what we are going to do with if we live in the Pacific housing. A dog, two cats, and an old rabbit. Lots of fun. But I am sooo excited to start dental school and to meet everyone! If any of you haven't joined the two Facebook groups for our class, you should do it! :)

Hi everyone! My name is Lindsay. I just joined student doctor network so I am still trying to figure it all out. But it is great to hear a little bit about you guys and where you are all coming from! I am from Albuquerque, NM and I am finishing up my last semester at UNM with a BA in Family Studies...which you have probably never hear of in your life! Basically, it's the study of family growth/development, parenting practices, laws pertaining to families, minority families, low income families, etc...pretty much anything you can think of that has to do with the family. If you're wondering what sort of job someone gets with that degree...the answer is that I have no idea and that is why I am becoming a dentist. :D Haha okay so not really, there is a lot more to the story than that. But ANYWAY. I have been married for a little over three years to the most amazing man ever (I'm not at all biased or anything). Like everyone else, we are hoping for Pacific housing. But it would also be sort of a mixed blessing because we have four pets that we have no idea what we are going to do with if we live in the Pacific housing. A dog, two cats, and an old rabbit. Lots of fun. But I am sooo excited to start dental school and to meet everyone! If any of you haven't joined the two Facebook groups for our class, you should do it! :)

Hi Lindsay. :) Sounds like an interesting major. They might let you keep your pets in Presidio, but I doubt that Pacific Apartments would allow pets. Hope the pet situation works out!

Hi Lindsay. :) Sounds like an interesting major. They might let you keep your pets in Presidio, but I doubt that Pacific Apartments would allow pets. Hope the pet situation works out!

I asked them about it when I was there, and they said that the Presidio housing that Pacific has does not allow pets. Some housing in Presidio allows ONE cat, but that doesn't really help me much since I have 2, and I don't want to separate them. I am probably going to live in Grosvenor because they allow pets and it is only about 3 blocks from the school.

Hi, everyone! Looking forward to July 10th! I have a question, can the $1,000 deposit be paid in a personal check or does it have to be a money order or cashiers check? I don't believe it said on the offer letter. Thanks.

Hi, everyone! Looking forward to July 10th! I have a question, can the $1,000 deposit be paid in a personal check or does it have to be a money order or cashiers check? I don't believe it said on the offer letter. Thanks.
Congratulations on your acceptance! I am looking forward to July as well.

I believe that a personal check is fine. They also accept credit cards and all of the payment types mentioned above. If you have any doubts, give admissions a call, they are very friendly and very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I don't know if you are still looking for work or not, but I live in SF and was trying to find work for a while also. Restuarants won't hire you unless you have 3+ year of experience because San Francisco is a major city. I would recommend trying some temp agencies, Ajilon and Nelson Staffing were good in finding me a bunch of work. Hope that helps!

My turn?

Just paid my Pacific Pride Day reservation, anyone else going? It's my #1, don't know if I will get in with my GPA, but it'd be great to see the school again and meet some of you guys!

Thanks for the info! I don't know if you are still looking for work or not, but I live in SF and was trying to find work for a while also. Restuarants won't hire you unless you have 3+ year of experience because San Francisco is a major city. I would recommend trying some temp agencies, Ajilon and Nelson Staffing were good in finding me a bunch of work. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info. I went to a temp agency out here in the east bay, but did not even get a courtesy call back. I've stopped looking so hard, since we figured out our finances and realized we could make due (without cutting my beer allowance). I have been filling my time with various handyman jobs around the house, volunteering, shadowing at my (hopefully) future practice, reading, too much perusing of sdn and dentaltown, and a little studying. I am starting to enjoy my time away from the rat race, but am afraid I will not be ready for the rude awakening of school come July. :scared:

Just paid my Pacific Pride Day reservation, anyone else going? It's my #1, don't know if I will get in with my GPA, but it'd be great to see the school again and meet some of you guys!
I will be there.

OK I think I am in the dark...what is Pacific Pride day?? And when is it?:confused:

I was browsing their official website and read up on the High School program information. Is it true that you graduate in 6-7 years with undergrad & dental school done with? Are there any cons to this as opposed to attending an undergrad school for 4 years then dental school for 4 years? I can imagine this is very competitive to get into. How is daily life at this school? What can I do as a junior in highschool to help increase my chances of admission?

I've never heard of this school until recently, so any personal input would be great! Thank you very much!

I was browsing their official website and read up on the High School program information. Is it true that you graduate in 6-7 years with undergrad & dental school done with? Are there any cons to this as opposed to attending an undergrad school for 4 years then dental school for 4 years? I can imagine this is very competitive to get into. How is daily life at this school? What can I do as a junior in highschool to help increase my chances of admission?

I've never heard of this school until recently, so any personal input would be great! Thank you very much!

That is really awesome that you are being so proactive and intentional about your education while you're still in high school. I really admire that. I didn't know that I wanted a career in dentistry until I was more than 3/4 through my undergrad. But to answer your question...any way you cut it, Pacific is a three year dental school. The only three year dental school in the U.S. So no matter what undergraduate institution you attend (I went to the University of New Mexico), you can get your DDS in 7 years if you only take 4 years in undergrad and get into dental school your first time applying. That being said though, you probably have a better chance getting into Pacific dental if you went to their undergrad (can anyone from Pacific vouch for this? Or am I totally wrong?). The only "con" I see about that is the price...Pacific undergrad is pricey! But since I didn't go there and I'm not from CA, I don't know how easy it is to get good scholarships (can anyone lend insight about this?). In terms of their special 2+3 and 3+3 programs, it seems pretty amazing to me! I would say go for it! Does anyone who actually did one of those programs have any additional insights?

Hey everybody.. first of all. congrats to all of you...
I will be applying to DS next year. UoP would be my top school but I also know how hard it is to get in. I was just wondering what your stats look like?

Hey everybody.. first of all. congrats to all of you...
I will be applying to DS next year. UoP would be my top school but I also know how hard it is to get in. I was just wondering what your stats look like?
The easiest way is to check out predents.com. Good luck!

Hi guys, im going to be attending Pacific as well. I just joined sdn, but i found out on dec. 1 as well. its great to hear about some of my soon to be fellow classmates. See you in July!

Hey anyone who's looking for housing, I might have a bedroom opening up in my apartment. 850sq ft, 2br/1ba 1 block away from school, rent $816/month